Constellation 1/15-1/29 review

ssCRUISERS

First a little introduction of us. This is our 7th Celebrity cruise along with 1 RCL cruise aboard the Serenade of the Sea's. We started cruising in 2006 and are 50 and 48 years old. We both work and enjoy the outdoors whenever we can, and enjoy our home life, cooking and entertaining.

We have been on the Constellation twice, Summit twice, Solstice B2B, and the Equinox.

Getting on the ship was a breeze, we got to the port around 12 noon and were aboard sipping our sparkling wine by 12:20, very nicely done Celebrity.

We have never done a all inclusive vacation so we opted for the premium drink package which is more than we would normally spend on our cruise tab, but it gave us the opportunity not to worry about our bill at the end which was very stress free. These packages were bought at Cafe al Bacio right after we boarded the ship.

For lunch we decided to avoid the hustle and bustle at the Seaside Cafe and had our lunch at Bistro on Five, it was only us and one other table. We both had the soup of the day, my first pannini, and my DW a lunch crape, we also had a glass of nice white wine. I'm not a complainer be the food was mediocre at best. Oh well there are many choices ahead.

After lunch we explored the ship to see the other improvements that were made to the Connie, we both thought the ship was in tip top shape and really liked the updates. Nice job Celebrity!

It was now time to get ready for our sail away get together which we had been planning on the CC board. Many posted pictures of themselves on a promising but unreliable site called Cruise Fellows.

It has promise but needs some work, maybe CC could take note of this and incorporate some of the CF functions into there site. Sandy and I made name tags and tried to get as many faces memorized as possible before our get together. There was a lot of anticipation as our CC conversations took us in some interesting places, Thongs, Boa's, Prince Albert, and OMG guy. So we were waiting to see who and what would show up, I will just leave it at that.

We had a great turn out and it was a nice way to start our voyage.

We decided before hand not to attend the CC party, we are from Minnesnowta and cherish our time in the warmth and sun.

Michelle (shelbird) organized a great cabin crawl on the second sea day which took us to many cabins except a suite.

This is a great way to see the many cabins that you may not know about and was great fun.

Again we did not know what may happen along the way (Barnicle Bill) I will leave it at that.

I will briefly cover each port as I thought this was the best itinerary overall that we have done.

St Martin a very nice port with lots to do, this time we opted to shop, Sandy got some jewelry.

Antigua was a lovely beach day. We walked into town to the local bus station and took bus #22 to Valley Church Beach. Lots of shells and coral along a very secluded stretch of nice coral sand.

6 dollars round trip for both of us, it cost others $60 for a cab. The beach had a restaurant, bar, showers, and offered a good price message on the beach. We go back again.

St Lucia was going to be a ship day, but DW wanted to shop more. We docked at the older pier which I had heard about, they were relentless to take us on a tour, our shopping lasted about 10 minutes.

Barbados which is one of our favorites, did not disappoint. We booked before hand the Calabazza cat sail which lived up to the hype, excellent day, with great food, drink and swimming with the turtles was phenomenal. Will do this one again $110 PP.

Grenada the spice Island. We took the rickety water taxi to Grand Anise Beach the water was beautiful but a bit crowded. If you walk away from the water taxi dock it thinned out. We we told to keep a close eye on our belongings here. Very nice day walking the beach, then buying our spices from a vendor. When heading back they will only leave when the taxi is completely full. Next time we will wait on the beach until taxi is almost full.

Aruba a short walk to the bus station to board the #10 to Eagle Beach, another day to walk a long stretch of white powder. Would go back.

Curacao I had a tough time deciding where to snorkel here lots of choices. We took a cab with 4 others to Port Mari beach, it cost $20.00 for each person round trip.

This is what I would call a coral beach so water shoes may be needed.

The beach itself is small but has very good facilities, bar, restaurant, showers, dive shop everything you would need.

That day the beach got very crowded, but it seemed most were there to chill out in a chair not snorkel.

I was expecting better coral, but that disappointment was made up by the numerous fish, and excellent cove beach for snorkeling. May go back.

Bonaire was a new favorite. We booked before hand the Woodwind snorkel. First class crew that help all levels of snorkelers from first time to experienced, very informative and hands on.

Some of the best coral we have ever seen in the Caribbean, they really protect this place.

Also to our surprise the small vendor area just off the ship had some inexpensive and quality artists,

Not the same old same old, save some cash for this port, no credit cards.

Now to the subjective part of my review FOOD.

In my opinion things have been changing at Celebrity over our cruising history, some good but unfortunately some very poor.

I can honestly say I have never had a dish that I could not physically eat over the years. Yes sometimes it was not to my taste but that is to be expected.

Unfortunately this cruise the majority of main dishes were either fishy sea food which you knew were coming before it hit the table. Most beef and lamb cuts were so tough or chewy that it was not even worth the effort. One night they served Pork Belly which I have never had but was recommended by other CCers on the board. If you like a hunk of pork fat this one is for you. This dish was not fit for my dog. I'm not going to labor on this, but the main dining room has been what keeps us coming back to Celebrity, not free drinks and a upgraded buffet.

Service was excellent throughout the ship which I feel Celebrity continues to do well.

We had an excellent cabin stewart Nelson along with his assistant Micheal which made our trip excellent, they took very good care of us.

We were never with out wine at dinner and an aperitif was offered each night.

We had a so so waiter in the dining room that just wanted to get done with it each night.

I felt sorry for him because of the low quality dishes Celebrity was putting out. Certainly not his fault.

We drank more water, tea, specialty coffees than we would have otherwise. We also got to try many top shelf liquors that we otherwise would not have had. Not sure we came out ahead but it was fun trying.

We had a wonderful overall cruise and are at this time booked next Jan on this wonderful itinerary.

I really hope our dinning room experience was a fluke.

Thanks for the review. We did this cruise over Thanksgiving and found the food in the MDR to be mostly good. Some of the best chicken I've ever eaten.

If you're doing this cruise again next year, ask for Bonifacio or Luther to be your waiter. They're both great. We cruised with them twice last year and they're like old friends.

Thank you for your review I am very concerned about your food experience in the MDR sometimes I think it is done on purpose to get you to other restaurants.

I think it is so important to make a real issue on the spot when you are served inferior food including asking for the Head of the Kitchen and the Head Waiter. We are on the Constellation in April our first with Celebrity!

Thanks for the review. We did this cruise over Thanksgiving and found the food in the MDR to be mostly good. Some of the best chicken I've ever eaten.

If you're doing this cruise again next year, ask for Bonifacio or Luther to be your waiter. They're both great. We cruised with them twice last year and they're like old friends.

c

That is a great idea, we will keep their names for next year. Can you request waiters through the pre cruise process?

DW liked the chicken also, something we eat here almost daily.

Thank you for your review I am very concerned about your food experience in the MDR sometimes I think it is done on purpose to get you to other restaurants.

I think it is so important to make a real issue on the spot when you are served inferior food including asking for the Head of the Kitchen and the Head Waiter. We are on the Constellation in April our first with Celebrity!

Our experience in the MDR this trip was poor, but we never went away hungry.

We did speak with the head M on 2 nights but to no avail.

On a positive note the cookies throughout the ship were rich, fresh and chewy.

And the apple pie off the left side of the menu was the best i have ever had, very consistent every night I had it.

Our experience in the MDR this trip was poor, but we never went away hungry.

We did speak with the head M on 2 nights but to no avail.

On a positive note the cookies throughout the ship were rich, fresh and chewy.

And the apple pie off the left side of the menu was the best i have ever had, very consistent every night I had it.

Thank you!

I love X and have to say that over the years the quality of most things has been wonderfully consistent with the exception of the food in the main dining room. This last time on Century the food was such a disappointment. I really want to sail on Connie again in October but the food quality issue is causing me to reconsider. Maybe Azamara this time.:confused: Lynne

I love X and have to say that over the years the quality of most things has been wonderfully consistent with the exception of the food in the main dining room. This last time on Century the food was such a disappointment. I really want to sail on Connie again in October but the food quality issue is causing me to reconsider. Maybe Azamara this time.:confused: Lynne

We are seriously looking at the new Oceana ships. They may get our cruising money next time.

Scott

Antigua was a lovely beach day. We walked into town to the local bus station and took bus #22 to Valley Church Beach. Lots of shells and coral along a very secluded stretch of nice coral sand.

6 dollars round trip for both of us, it cost others $60 for a cab. The beach had a restaurant, bar, showers, and offered a good price message on the beach. We go back again.

Thanks for the review enjoyed it as we go in March!!!

Was there good snorkelling on the beach? Did they also have chairs and umbrellas for hire? It looks good doing the bus are the regular? How long is the journey?

Many thanks for any info you can give us;)

Karen

Thanks for your review

The times we had bistro on five on all our cruises it was amazing, and as for food I guess it's subjective as once again celebrity beat out all large ships in the READERS poll for Conde Nast

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise though:)

Thanks for the review enjoyed it as we go in March!!!

Was there good snorkelling on the beach? Did they also have chairs and umbrellas for hire? It looks good doing the bus are the regular? How long is the journey?

Many thanks for any info you can give us;)

Karen

Karen

As you leave the ship the bus station is to your right. Just ask along the way and you will get pointed in the right direction, people were very helpful.

There buses are large mini vans that will wait until full to depart. (we waited about 5 mn) most of our passengers were collage students.

Valley beach is one of the buses last stops, just ask the driver to let you know where to get off. (about 20mn) To get back just wait at the end of the road on the (beach side)

We did not bring our snorkel stuff to this beach so I can not anwer that.

I don't think we saw anyone snorkeling.

You will have many other good stops for that though.

Yes there is full facilities here, with chairs and umbrellas.

Enjoy it is a great itinerary.

Scott

My mom found oceania good but not worth the price difference overall. Food can be affected by the chef etc on any given week, we have had the same dishes on celebrity but on different ships taste different!

I'd rather pay 1500 per person on celebrity and go aqua or a suite and the. Pay extra for the specialty then pay 3 times as much on Oceania and perhaps have a few better meals in the MDR

My mom found oceania good but not worth the price difference overall. Food can be affected by the chef etc on any given week, we have had the same dishes on celebrity but on different ships taste different!

I'd rather pay 1500 per person on celebrity and go aqua or a suite and the. Pay extra for the specialty then pay 3 times as much on Oceania and perhaps have a few better meals in the MDR

I would hate to have to give up on Celebrity, maybe my dinning experience was isolated, only time will tell. I truely hope so.

Remember to get good pricing with Oceania go through a good travel agent which deals with Oceana, you can do better than their published prices, so they may be more competitive than it looks.

Scott,

thanks for the information. Would you by any chance have the dailies!!! If so would you be able to publish them on here? It would be interesting to see what they have on the agenda this year:D How many things I can plan to do (then don't)!!!!

Thanks

Karen

Bonaire was a new favorite. We booked before hand the Woodwind snorkel. First class crew that help all levels of snorkelers from first time to experienced, very informative and hands on.

Some of the best coral we have ever seen in the Caribbean, they really protect this place.

How much did this cost? Did you book it through X or directly?

How much time did you spend in the water? How did the snorkeling compare to St Thomas, Cozumel, Roatan, etc.?

Thank you for the great review and wealth of information.

Scott,

thanks for the information. Would you by any chance have the dailies!!! If so would you be able to publish them on here? It would be interesting to see what they have on the agenda this year:D How many things I can plan to do (then don't)!!!!

Thanks

Karen

Sorry Karen we did not save ours.

How much did this cost? Did you book it through X or directly?

How much time did you spend in the water? How did the snorkeling compare to St Thomas, Cozumel, Roatan, etc.?

Thank you for the great review and wealth of information.

The cost for Woodwind was $50pp for 3 hours. They can be found on the Caribbean (Bonnaire board) and trip advisor.

It was called a drift snorkel so very little effort is needed, the boat will pick you up at the end.

They split us up into 3 groups experienced, novice and first timers.

The crew is very in tune with everyones needs, the best crew we have experienced ever.

They also have a excellent photographer abourd, lookup Woodwind on facebook to see daily what type of fish and coral you will see. her pictures are first class.

Outside of Hawaii some of the best snorkeling we have experienced.

Thank you for the review. You gave me the nudge I needed to see the ports again and on a ship design that I love. Can't wait to visit Antigua beaches and the ship's T-Pool.

-Marisela

Equinox 2x

Millie 2x

Summit

Galaxy

Horizon

Archived