latex allergy

On 2/6/2011 at 10:57 AM, gerif said:

While they do use kiwi as a garnish in many dishes and desserts, I'd be more afraid of the latex gloves worn by the workers in the WJ as well as the food preparers. That's a really tough allergery to have.

I may be wrong, but I think the gloves are latex free.  I didn’t get a close look at the boxes  on my galley tour, but I think I remember the chef in charge of the allergy kitchen said that they were.  

More and more venues have gone LF on gloves just  as a matter of course

there are definitely kiwi on board though.  I eat as many as I can get my hands on. 

One would hope balloons of all of all types would be banned on board though.....

1 hour ago, spookwife said:

I may be wrong, but I think the gloves are latex free.  I didn’t get a close look at the boxes  on my galley tour, but I think I remember the chef in charge of the allergy kitchen said that they were.  

More and more venues have gone LF on gloves just  as a matter of course

there are definitely kiwi on board though.  I eat as many as I can get my hands on. 

One would hope balloons of all of all types would be banned on board though.....

You do realize my post was from 8-1/2 years ago. Things have likely changed. 

On 2/6/2011 at 1:03 PM, mommabean said:

There is latex in the rubber of most underwear items including underpants and bras. I have a latex contact reaction but only in certain circumstances which I will not go into.

Surgically speaking, anyone with a latex allergy is operated on in the same room where latex has been used. They are scheduled as first surgeries of the day before the latex dust has been popped into the air from the latex gloves used by most surgeons. The do the vinyl only surgeries first.

Kiwi is not going to put particles into the air so it's unlikely you will have a problem being on the same ship with them. Almost any room you walk into, including every store you shop at, will have latex in some form. You just can't touch it or breath in actual particles which don't just jump into the air. Even band-aids are labeled as to whether or not they contain latex even in the packaging.

Mangoes and Spandex are also related to this allergy. I can eat a mango but not touch the skin. I wear jeans that are 100% cotton whenever possible or my legs turn red and feel like scales for a couple of weeks from the rubbing of the small amount of spandex in stretch jeans.

You do what you have to do or you live in a bubble. You can't expect the ship to ban kiwi fruit. Just ask them to not put it on your plate. Bring what you need just in case. Go on your cruise just as you walk into a store.

Gina

I can’t eat or even touch kiwi or papaya, but latex gloves don’t bother me. 

Evidently for me it’s not the latex in kiwi. 

I have never asked my doctor what, exactly,  I’m allergic to they contain. 

I just don’t eat mixed fruit that contains either of them. So far that’s worked.