Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Hello! You all are SO RIGHT...what is important is wearing the right thing to make what you have look good! I am very happy with myself, and try wearing things that make ME look good. Of course, I could loose weight and I am trying to, but more to make me healthier bc I have two little boys and a bad back.

I am struggling about my next cruise...we are sailing on NCL and I don't think that they have formal nights. The ones that you really dress up! I have bought two new dresses and really wanted to wear them, but they are both more like evening gowns than cocktail dresses and from what I have read, NCL doesn't have "formal' nights anymore.

Any of you sailed NCL recently?

I was reading a food blog earlier and the author said she was "cutting back on calories to prepare for a cruise." Then

sunnydaygirl stated:

I'm always dieting for the "next trip"...and that leads to Another Question:

Do you try/think about dieting for the next trip?

I'm a Get On the Scale at Least Once a Week CCF, so if the number goes up a couple pounds, I cut back on portions.

Keeping Cruise Clothes within eyesight helps, too. Would be sad if those outfits no longer fit:eek:!

I would have to agree with that statement!! Last year I started I really intense diet/workout program that lasted from December (through Christmas!!) until just after our cruise in February. It was fantastic and honestly probably the healthiest I've felt in years!! Now that next years trip is booked, I'm already planning ahead to next February and how to feel/look my best for that trip.

I have clothes I wore in February that no longer fit, because they are too big. Now THAT is an issue I can handle ;)

In case any of you are traveling Carnival, they're having a great gift card promo. Buy over $200 value and get a second card to use as OBC for 10% of value. 200=$20. $800=$80. Use to pay off cruise and then buy a drink or massage!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you sunnydaygirl!!! I might just have to buy a few of those cards :) Any idea how long the promotion lasts??

Thank you sunnydaygirl!!! I might just have to buy a few of those cards :) Any idea how long the promotion lasts??

The DH is going to buy one for our upcoming cruise!:D I too would like to know when the last day to purchase them is if anyone knows???:D

The DH is going to buy one for our upcoming cruise!:D I too would like to know when the last day to purchase them is if anyone knows???:D

The 16th. Probably at midnight. There is a board for this discussion only. Many posters discussing how they're using. I thought the gift promotion could not be used on your cruise payment, but many are doing that. The gift promotion card does expire first. And e-cards last the longest. I didn't know that before I bought the plastic ones. But I'm ok since I cruise in August.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Hello! You all are SO RIGHT...what is important is wearing the right thing to make what you have look good! I am very happy with myself, and try wearing things that make ME look good. Of course, I could loose weight and I am trying to, but more to make me healthier bc I have two little boys and a bad back.

I am struggling about my next cruise...we are sailing on NCL and I don't think that they have formal nights. The ones that you really dress up! I have bought two new dresses and really wanted to wear them, but they are both more like evening gowns than cocktail dresses and from what I have read, NCL doesn't have "formal' nights anymore.

Any of you sailed NCL recently?

I was on the Breakaway in September...and yes, you are correct. There are no "formal" nights. I forget what they call them....but you DO have the option of dressing up on two nights. I am one to wear cocktail dresses every night. I have to be honest. I do not recall seeing any gowns.

This was our first and only NCL cruise and from what I understand and read here on CC, prior to our cruise, they are very laid back in the dress code....and it was true. I thought Carnival was laid back in the dress code, but I found NCL to be more so.

I think you should wear what YOU want and feel good in. When we go to dinner, I have a cocktail dress on, heels, and jewelry. I don't care that the people sitting at the next table have on tee shirts and shorts...I know I look good and feel good and love the way my husband looks at me. Thats ALL that matters. GO FOR IT...:o:o:o

I was on the Breakaway in September...and yes, you are correct. There are no "formal" nights. I forget what they call them....but you DO have the option of dressing up on two nights. I am one to wear cocktail dresses every night. I have to be honest. I do not recall seeing any gowns.

This was our first and only NCL cruise and from what I understand and read here on CC, prior to our cruise, they are very laid back in the dress code....and it was true. I thought Carnival was laid back in the dress code, but I found NCL to be more so.

I think you should wear what YOU want and feel good in. When we go to dinner, I have a cocktail dress on, heels, and jewelry. I don't care that the people sitting at the next table have on tee shirts and shorts...I know I look good and feel good and love the way my husband looks at me. Thats ALL that matters. GO FOR IT...:o:o:o

NCL's version of formal night is called "Dress Up or Not Night." So those nights are equal to Carnival's "Elegant Nights." I agree...I believe NCL's passengers are a little more laid back as to how they dress. Not that I consider that a problem. I'm with you...to each their own...we dress up because we like to.:D

Thanks for the info about NCL formal nights. I was reading over on the NCL threads that the Breakaway is different than most because it sails from NYC and most folks from cruises that depart there do dress up a bit more than most cruises.

I am getting excited about planning my outfits for dinner... But I do have to pack lighter than usual. That may be a bit of a problem:) this will be our 20th cruise and I have over packed for EVERY one of them... At least that's what my husband says:D

Glad to hear this! The shapewear I wore today just kept rolling down and it was just annoying. I'll have to get over to TJMaxx and check out the Maidenform shapewear. Thanks for the tip!:D

Me too. Even the non roll stuff still rolls on me

Edited by tbbtravels

Hello Ladies...snip

I was just thinking today that our next cruise is coming up and that I needed to loose some weight so that I would feel better about myself when we go...

snip

If anyone is interested there is a thread Lose before you Cruise on the conversations section of the board

Sandy in Spain

I am a lurker to this thread but thought I would jump in. We just booked our longest cruise to date; 45 days to Hawaii and the South Pacific for October 2015. I am retiring early next August and thought this would be the perfect retirement cruise. We leave in less than a month for Bermuda and I am watching what I eat in preparation for that cruise. We had a very long winter here in the Northeast and I am a few pounds heavier than my ideal weight.

Cate,

Congratulations on your retirement!:D

Your cruise sounds amazing! Good luck on your weight loss...it's not easy is it:eek: I'm trying to lose some weight myself for health reasons and I struggle with it because I have a major sweet tooth!;)

I hope your cruise is everything you hope it will be!:D

I am a lurker to this thread but thought I would jump in. We just booked our longest cruise to date; 45 days to Hawaii and the South Pacific for October 2015. I am retiring early next August and thought this would be the perfect retirement cruise. We leave in less than a month for Bermuda and I am watching what I eat in preparation for that cruise. We had a very long winter here in the Northeast and I am a few pounds heavier than my ideal weight.

Cate, congratulations on your upcoming retirement:D and that cruise

sounds wonderful:).....hope you have a fantastic time.:)

Cate, what an awesome way to celebrate. What fun you'll have mixing and matching that wardrobe!!

Was excited to find two new tops today, and I took the swimsuit tops back. Just didn't work.

Hope you had a great Fathers Day!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! It is with mixed emotions, my husband has been retired for 9 years so I kind of feel like I have to. I will try to find something closer to home, part time. My commute is 2 hours each way door to door and I am definitely done with that:)

South Pacific and Hawaii sounds wonderful. Bermuda is beautiful too. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! It is with mixed emotions, my husband has been retired for 9 years so I kind of feel like I have to. I will try to find something closer to home, part time. My commute is 2 hours each way door to door and I am definitely done with that:)

Another WOW Cate;)....4 hours of drive time for an 8 hour job:eek:

When I read that I know I am lucky....takes me about 20 minutes

each way...(depending on traffic).

Oh wow! That's a long commute! I have 5 minutes, if that long! Congrats on your retirement! I would love to retire!

My son went and stayed a week with my parents when he got out of school at the end of May...he came home and asked me "Why couldn't I just retire, like his MeMe?" LOL. I told him that when he and his two year old brother finish high school, that I would retire. He told me "Well by then Momma, you will be too OLD to play with me!!!:D Of course, I will be 58 when the baby graduates from high school:)

I was at tjmaxx recently a purchased a 2pk of packing cubes ImageUploadedByForums1403460719.758442.jpg.b26e820f73e9d80a463edda51510ae96.jpg

My daughter swears by them so I thought I'd give a shot. My hanging shelf, which I love!!, got left in Florida.

Has anyone used them? I guess I think they'd be useful for underwear or tshirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was at tjmaxx recently a purchased a 2pk of packing cubes [ATTACH]316900[/ATTACH]

My daughter swears by them so I thought I'd give a shot. My hanging shelf, which I love!!, got left in Florida.

Has anyone used them? I guess I think they'd be useful for underwear or tshirts.

I always keep one in my carryon for clothing that I want with me in case my luggage gets lost. Kind of a survival kit containing one little dress that I could get away with if necessary on formal night, one bathing suit, 1 pair slacks, one pair shorts, a couple of shirts, and underwear. It keeps these items clean and wrinkle free once I toss electronics, meds, etc. in the same carry-on. Meds will be in their own organizer bag which I hang on the bathroom door. In my large check in bag I will keep clothing I will need for the first segment of the vacation- hotel stays. The I don't have to go rooting through my entire suitcase looking for what I will need first. Just take out the organizer bag and stick the big suitcase out of the way.

If you keep all your shirts in an organizer bag, once on board ship you can unzip the top and stick the entire bag in the cupboard without having to refold everything.

At the end of the vacation, I use these organizers for dirty laundry.

A friend who travels a lot with work raves about these cubes so with some scepticism I gave them a try - and I like them!

DH & I didn't anticipate that this cruise would be a Wow Cruise - just fun & sun...BUT it WAS a Wow Cruise:cool::)! The weather was textbook tropical - sunny with a light breeze. We had a good group at dinner - 10 of us at the table. Good conversation each day.

At "Wine Time", we met some interesting, fun couples.

There were more people (mostly men) wearing shorts in the dining room. Women, on Formal Night, had everything from gowns to knit pantsuits. For the most part, cruisers dressed appropriately.

I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Yikes!! Our Next Cruise isn't until December...then May 2015...June 2015...and we booked a cruise in December 2015 out of Galveston. That will be a new port for us.

Glad to see the activity here.

t60 - I will check out Lose Before You Cruise, for sure! Those 5-10 extra pounds need to go away:rolleyes::confused:! It's only been the last year that the scale hasn't been so friendly....

CateW: WELCOME!! Lurkers are always welcome to stop by, but if you want to add comments, etc., please do so! We LOVE to read the posts!!

Edited by indiana71

DH & I didn't anticipate that this cruise would be a Wow Cruise - just fun & sun...BUT it WAS a Wow Cruise:cool::)! The weather was textbook tropical - sunny with a light breeze. We had a good group at dinner - 10 of us at the table. Good conversation each day.

There were more people (mostly men) wearing shorts in the dining room. Women, on Formal Night, had everything from gowns to knit pantsuits. For the most part, cruisers dressed appropriately.

Yikes!! Our Next Cruise isn't until December...then May 2015...June 2015...and we booked a cruise in December 2015 out of Galveston. That will be a new port for us.

t60 - I will check out Lose Before You Cruise, for sure! Those 5-10 extra pounds need to go away:rolleyes::confused:! It's only been the last year that the scale hasn't been so friendly....

CateW: WELCOME!! Lurkers are always welcome to stop by, but if you want to add comments, etc., please do so! We LOVE to read the posts!!

Sunnydaygirl

I use packing cubes all the time to keep articles of clothing separate from each other.

Indiana71

So glad you had a "Wow" cruise!

We're doing a 3-dayer to Mexico next month...really looking forward to it!:D

The first photo was taken on Father's Day. We were at Port Canaveral and took a shuttle to Cocoa Beach for lunch.

The silver sandals are my favorite style from Naot (I have them in white, too). The necklaces are from past cruises - Inch of Gold that is sold on all RCI ships (don't know if other lines have that...)

BTW: my attempt to mimic the dancer in the painting...

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B55%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3688%3A76934335nu0mrj

And here's a photo with a Goodwill blouse and Capris, and those white Naots. I was so pleased when the Capris fit - totally tropical...and the blouse is light weight.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv69%3A5%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E277997877%3C244ot1lsi

This photo is the first Formal Night. My dress is the strapless Joseph Ribkoff animal print that my alteration lady added straps to. You can see what other ladies are wearing, too. (I'm holding a wine glass.)

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8455%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2779978767244ot1lsi

A couple more photos tomorrow...

Edited by indiana71

Welcome home. Happy to hear that you had a WOW cruise. Looking forward to more pictures.