Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

This perspective is interesting to me. I think those of us who are very visually oriented can't imagine that everyone else is not so, but I have learned that everyone else is not so! You can tell by how some people (OK, well, we're talking about women here) -- by how some women dress that they don't really look at what others wear -- they don't really even look at what they themselves wear! How could they? The clothes they put on prove that they do not really have a clue about how they actually look!

We all know women who consistently wear sloppy, baggy, shapeless, ill-fitting, unflattering or otherwise inappropriate clothing and it is obvious that they are simply covering their bodies with whatever "caught their eye," fit over their heads, and was in the budget. They do not have a sense of "style" -- it is not on their radar -- and may not even own a mirror. They are often perfectly lovely, sweet, friendly, well-meaning people (many are my very best friends!) but they just do not think in the same terms we on this thread do! This does not take away from their value as human beings in the least -- they just don't have this visual bent -- it's not their gift.

Some of these women do look at others, and they do see and appreciate that others look good, but they may not be able to analyze why they look good, and most likely could not (or believe they could not) ever get themselves to look good in the same way as the person they are looking at. They do not have a natural inclination toward this kind of visual analysis, and they are are "untrained", as well. So they are clueless.

Many on this thread probably watch "What Not to Wear" or other style shows, and know how unaware some women are. But we also know that most can learn to see what they are not naturally gifted to see.

My favorite folks are the ones who read all the fashion magazines, and watch all the shows, are constantly shopping, and are always paying attention to how others look, talking about clothes, style, etc., and paying compliments to those who look good. But somehow, they still tend to make the "wrong" (less than ideal) choices for themselves, often getting stuck in old habits and "favorites" (like colors or hem lengths, for example) that really aren't best for them, but they like them, and they just can't see that a change would improve their looks. These are the sweetest and most endearing cases, in my opinion -- and one of them is my very best friend!

We all have differing gifts -- that is what makes life interesting.

I definitely think that women dress for women, in the same way that artists create for other people who are artistic and appreciate art. But we women dress for our men, too -- right? ;) It is just easier, in general, to dress for men than for women -- men are by and large less critical, less discerning, and are mostly admiring their lady's outfit with the undercurrent of what she will look like with it off! :D

I just love looking at all different kinds of outfits on people. Some people know how to put it together better than others. I do dress for myself (and of course DH) but I have my own style. I love loud colors and bold prints.I try to make some of my clothes. I have started with easy skirts and pants with matching waist bag. I do look at others outfits and see tht there is no one else on the ship dressed like me. With so many patterns and fabric that would be hard to do. I have tried to dress a little more in what's in style. But I thing it doesn't "look like me". So, I go on the way I am, wearing my bright colors.

Just a funny story. I had made a skirt and waist bag to wear on a cruise. While wearing it onboard a woman stopped me and asked me about it. I told her that I had made it. She then wanted to know if I had brought more along to sell. I said "no" and she asked if she could buy the one I was wearing. I did not sell my skirt and bag. But after I walked away I said to myself, her taste in skirts is as crazy as mind.

I think that each person dresses is their art form, and a way to express one selves

Geocruiser...just received the popcorn top from Amazon. I got it in a nutmeg color which will go with a couple of jackets. Great recommendation!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am very happy that you got it. How does it fit? Nutmeg is a great color!

What did you think about of the size of it when you took it ourt of the box? Looks like it would fit a child. I didn't think that it would fit me until I put mine on.

I am very happy that you got it. How does it fit? Nutmeg is a great color!

What did you think about of the size of it when you took it ourt of the box? Looks like it would fit a child. I didn't think that it would fit me until I put mine on.

The size is amazing! It could fit a child or a very large person. It's lightweight and will be good under jackets but since I'm cold-natured I would need a layer underneath if wearing w/o a jacket. Thanks again.

geocruiser: I'm envious that you make some of your clothes! My sewing ability is limited to refastening a button...maybe:rolleyes:!

What is a waist bag? I would love to see a photo of one of your skirts with a waist bag. It sounds like something that would be perfect for keeping small items.

I was grocery shopping yesterday (and got caught in one of those drenching summer rains!) and didn't even bother to stop at TJ Maxx or look at clothes anywhere...sigh...the next cruise is more than 150 days away...Even for me, that's a little too soon to start The Packing Process;):cool:.

geocruiser: I'm envious that you make some of your clothes! My sewing ability is limited to refastening a button...maybe:rolleyes:!

What is a waist bag? I would love to see a photo of one of your skirts with a waist bag. It sounds like something that would be perfect for keeping small items.

I was grocery shopping yesterday (and got caught in one of those drenching summer rains!) and didn't even bother to stop at TJ Maxx or look at clothes anywhere...sigh...the next cruise is more than 150 days away...Even for me, that's a little too soon to start The Packing Process;):cool:.

I would love to post a picture. But I have to learn how to do it. I did have to reformat my computer, so I would also have to down load the pictures in it. We did get a new computer with windows 8 but have not set it up yet.

For now you can click on the link below

http://www.stephaniekimura.com/patterns.html

Scroll down to Bamboo Goddess Tote & Hip Bag #403. Click on the picture to see a larger picture. I make the small blue bag. But I don't tie it around me. I was a small clasp. The bag stays flat and it made in a matching fabric of the skirt or pants that I make. You could call it a fanny bag but it is much nicer than an over the counter one.

I would love to post a picture. But I have to learn how to do it. I did have to reformat my computer, so I would also have to down load the pictures in it. We did get a new computer with windows 8 but have not set it up yet.

For now you can click on the link below

http://www.stephaniekimura.com/patterns.html

Scroll down to Bamboo Goddess Tote & Hip Bag #403. Click on the picture to see a larger picture. I make the small blue bag. But I don't tie it around me. I was a small clasp. The bag stays flat and it made in a matching fabric of the skirt or pants that I make. You could call it a fanny bag but it is much nicer than an over the counter one.

Cute bag! When you are ready to start posting pictures, read through this thread for good advice. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714741

goecruiser: How perfect the little blue bag is for cruising! I admire all CCFs who can sew beautifully! You can set your own fashion trend!

My 8-year old granddaughter gave us a thank you for the Family Cruise - it's a piece of fabric that she did some sewing on and some writing. I had it made into a pillow (by my fabulous alterations lady) and will give it to DH when all our photos (400+:eek:) are in a scrapbook with commentary added...probably a couple of weeks.

I'll take a photo and post it here.

I'm proud of granddaughter's effort! She loves being creative:).

Not much activity here lately...sporadic rain, high humidity isn't as much fun in western PA as it is in the Caribbean:cool::eek:.

Does everyone else feel like I do - Summer is half way over and there's so much more I want to do:confused:. Since we did a cruise in May and the Family Cruise in June, there wasn't much time to concentrate on the regular fun summer activities (not that I'm complaining about cruising. That would NEVER happen;)).

Our Family Vacation at the lake house will be shorter this year and less people are coming. DH & I will still spend time there; but at a slower pace...afternoons on the boat, anchored in a quiet bay, wine and cheese in the cooler....

Last year I didn't make a Packing List or a spreadsheet and had way too many clothes. This year there are only a couple planned events so a spreadsheet isn't needed.

All my clothes, yes ALL my clothes (and accessories) fit in the laundry basket we take back and forth! And yes, there are clothes, etc. that stay at the lake house, so that cuts down on the packing.

Back To School sales and ads are popping up. The "end of summer " sales should be starting (if not already underway). I'm two weeks away from a mall shopping trip...hope some bargains will still be available...

Summer always seems to go by faster than any other part of the year. I always thought I felt that way because I was a teacher and vacations always speed by, but now that I am retired summer still flies.

I have already gotten a couple of things on summer sales (not that I really need any more but that won't stop me). Some of my best buys have been the really late sales where they have marked things down a number of times and then they are 50-70% off the lowest price. I happened on one of those sales in late February and picked up 5 new tops for my next cruise.

Swimsuits are marked down at Dillard's. They still had a good selection last weekend.

Seems the end of summer sales have begun.

Ironic the way life works...the end of summer sales?:eek:...it is July 10th

and my car was 107 degrees inside when I left the office for lunch

today:eek:.....end of summer? Not where I live LOL

Ironic the way life works...the end of summer sales?:eek:...it is July 10th

and my car was 107 degrees inside when I left the office for lunch

today:eek:.....end of summer? Not where I live LOL

I went to Macy's today (just in case they had something I couldn't live without) and found the bright summer colored clothes had been replaced by the more somber fall colors.

I know its crazy. I live about 30 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico it will be hot here for months. Ran into a few stores and saw fallish clothes over the weekend. Glad I found several swimsuits. We are going to an AI in September so I need quite a few.

Oh, I know retail starts one season while it is still in the middle of the previous season. They do what they want for sure. I just meant

it is hot as a ---- here......:rolleyes:. I have my a/c on and usually sleep

with the ceiling fan on in the bedroom too!:eek:

I live in Orlando and come August all you see is sweaters and boots!!:eek:

I went 2 weekends ago to the outlets and bought my sandals, some shorts that I needed for my February Cruise. I just need to pick up a couple of blouses and I should be done.

Oh I forgot, I saw a MK hot pink bag that I want to take for my cruise on sale 40% off, I'm holding off another few weeks hoping I save more since they will be replacing the summer bags with fall items. I hope I did not make a mistake:mad:

My next cruise only has two Caribbean ports but we will be spending some time in the South Pacific, so when I saw this jacket on sale today I couldn't pass it up. I tried to talk myself out of it but... It has all of my favorite colors in it. It goes with 4 pairs of slacks/capris I'm taking and I could probably get away with wearing it over my LBD.

9266732406_59463fcae9_n.jpg

My next cruise only has two Caribbean ports but we will be spending some time in the South Pacific, so when I saw this jacket on sale today I couldn't pass it up. I tried to talk myself out of it but... It has all of my favorite colors in it. It goes with 4 pairs of slacks/capris I'm taking and I could probably get away with wearing it over my LBD.

Definitely a great find! Double score for it going with so many things! Love it!

Scrapnana: Thanks for posting the photo of your jacket. I love the bright colors. They make me happy:).

The women who wear mostly black (I know several) seem to be content with their color choice. That would never work for me. Sure there are black items in my closet, but for the most part, bright and/or pastels are my choice.

QUESTION: Do you wear mostly colors OR mostly neutrals? Do you mix colors and neutrals?

Scrapnana: Thanks for posting the photo of your jacket. I love the bright colors. They make me happy:).

The women who wear mostly black (I know several) seem to be content with their color choice. That would never work for me. Sure there are black items in my closet, but for the most part, bright and/or pastels are my choice.

QUESTION: Do you wear mostly colors OR mostly neutrals? Do you mix colors and neutrals?

I mostly wear colors. I feel happy wearing colors.

I'm very much a color girl. Shades of blues, teals, and lavender/purples are my favorites (main reason I could not pass up that jacket) but occasionally I will choose a red, coral, pink, or yellow item. I like green but I don't think I have anything green in my closet. I tend to go for the brighter shades although I do have some pastels.

Getting ready for my next cruise (37 formal nights), I have picked up a number of black items (finding formal wear that is not black is something of a chore). And, I have to admit, there is something very elegant about black formal wear. That being said, I have plans to mix my black skirts and pants with colorful tops sometimes.

I have a couple of tan/beige tops that I use for layering. I love white/ivory more than beige and am taking white capris and slacks as well as white chiffon dress pants and a white chiffon skirt on my next cruise. I also have a beaded grey top and a chiffon skirt and chiffon palazzo pants but that is the extent of my grey wardrobe. I don't have any brown items in my closet although I do have a couple of tops that have a little brown in them.

Like you said, pretty colors make me feel happy. As the name implies, neutrals are just neutral for me.

I really like this thread because the Caribbean colors really appeal to me.

Kathi

Edited by Scrapnana

I agree with you guys. I love colors and most of my tops are blues, teals, pinks and magentas. I do have a couple of white and black and a few prints. I buy neutral bottoms, white, black, tan and gray. Most of my tops go with all of the bottoms. Makes for a really wide wardrobe.

I also agree that it is difficult to find formal wear that I like that is not black. Although I have a magenta lace dress that I love.

Right now I have on black capris and a bright aqua top. I feel good on this dreary, rainy day.

I'm very much a color girl. Shades of blues, teals, and lavender/purples are my favorites (main reason I could not pass up that jacket) but occasionally I will choose a red, coral, pink, or yellow item. I like green but I don't think I have anything green in my closet. I tend to go for the brighter shades although I do have some pastels.

Getting ready for my next cruise (37 formal nights), I have picked up a number of black items (finding formal wear that is not black is something of a chore). And, I have to admit, there is something very elegant about black formal wear. That being said, I have plans to mix my black skirts and pants with colorful tops sometimes.

I have a couple of tan/beige tops that I use for layering. I love white/ivory more than beige and am taking white capris and slacks as well as white chiffon dress pants and a white chiffon skirt on my next cruise. I also have a beaded grey top and a chiffon skirt and chiffon palazzo pants but that is the extent of my grey wardrobe. I don't have any brown items in my closet although I do have a couple of tops that have a little brown in them.

Like you said, pretty colors make me feel happy. As the name implies, neutrals are just neutral for me.

I really like this thread because the Caribbean colors really appeal to me.

Kathi

Kathi....did I read that correctly? 37 formal nights???:eek: Is this a world

cruise? And even on a world cruise....I mean, I love dressing up:)

but 37 formal nights?:eek:

Kathi....did I read that correctly? 37 formal nights???:eek: Is this a world

cruise? And even on a world cruise....I mean, I love dressing up:)

but 37 formal nights?:eek:

Yes, world cruise (118 nights) and the number of formal nights has actually been reduced! Cunard changed their dress code a few months ago and knocked off a few formal nights. The 2013 Cunard world cruises had about 50 formal nights (that's why maggiemou and porthopper have all those goregous outfits). Cunard used to have formal, semi-formal, and elegant casual nights. Now they have formal and informal. I had already purchased most of my formal and semi-formal outfits before the change. They actually have semi-formal attire appropriate for both types of evenings, so I will end up being dressier than some on informal nights. I am actually looking forward to dressing up because I never get the chance to do it in real life.:)

Edited by Scrapnana

Yes, world cruise (118 nights) and the number of formal nights has actually been reduced! Cunard changed their dress code a few months ago and knocked off a few formal nights. The 2013 Cunard world cruises had about 50 formal nights (that's why maggiemou and porthopper have all those goregous outfits). Cunard used to have formal, semi-formal, and elegant casual nights. Now they have formal and informal. I had already purchased most of my formal and semi-formal outfits before the change. They actually have semi-formal attire appropriate for both types of evenings, so I will end up being dressier than some on informal nights. I am actually looking forward to dressing up because I never get the chance to do it in real life.:)

Omg...118 nights? I wanna gooooooooooo:D