Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I have been okay with the 50 pound limit on all of my trips so far. I find that one of the big things is shoes. I take light weight sandals for during the day, and I try to coordinate my outfits so that I am only taking 2 pair for dinner, including formal night. When you take a lot of shoes, they really add to the weight.

My daytime clothing is lightweight because it's going to be warm on the ship or at a port, at least when we travel. I like to wear nicer outfits, but they are still casual. Shorts and skirts are not heavy.

I bring a sweater that goes with everything, and one or two pair of capris or light weight pants that can be mixed and matched with various tops if I get cool at night. Since they aren't on for a long time, they can be re-worn if I treat them nice.

I´m sure many of you must have travelled to Vietnam/Cambodia, so I need your help please. I know I´ll need to pack light (for a change) . It will be a River cruise, with a couple of internal flights, so not sure how informal (or not) it will be or laundry facilities. Please can I have some hints as to what would be appropriate clothing for the trip both for myself and OH...I was thinking perhaps a couple of pairs of capris and loose tops for me....although i really prefer dresses during the day time in hot countries. Reading through some of the reviews it seems that humidity is a problem with people changing 2 or even 3 times a day, that doesn´t equate to packing light tho...

Sandy in Spain

last time I was in RVN I wore the same 'outfit' for a week or more including the same boots. you better hope your boat has industrial a/c,. get the sunscreen with the bug repellent in it and use more than you think you need. unless of course you go during monsoon season then you have a whoe different set of challenges.

Edited by RockeyBullwinkle

This is my First Day/Sailaway/Dinner outfit. Talbot's Capris, old but still good sandals.

The best part of this great shot of you in the cute capri outfit is the look on your face as you try to "censor" the statue! Priceless!!

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B6898335nu0mrj

This is a Sea Day outfit. Coldwater Creek Capris, Tribal top. This top hasn't been on a cruise before...will surely make it again. Gold sandals are from PayLess, gold crossbody handbag from Consignment Shop.

Love the bag! -- for some reason there seems to be a prejudice (that includes some seriously snobbish judging) on some CC threads regarding folks who use handbags of any sort on board ship (maybe with the exception of evening bags for formal nights). I do not understand this prejudice! Your bag is adorable! You go girl! (I always take a similar small bag to conveniently carry such little personal items as tissues and lip balm, as well as ship card, camera and sunglasses, which go in and out of the bag all day on board. )

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B68%3A%3B335nu0mrj

And this is the dress from TJ Maxx...not sure if it will cruise again...Do you think it's a little "young", not really age appropriate?

I wonder if you might be feeling the dress is a little young due to the length, which is perhaps the tiniest wee bit shorter than you are used to? Or perhaps the neckline makes it seem a little "sun-dressy"? (These are only guesses...) I think the dress is attractive and age appropriate. If you wanted to "mature" it up a bit, maybe a little bolero, lightweight short sleeved cardigan, pretty scarf or shawl? It is not that you need to cover your gorgeous arms, but the "completer" piece might make you feel the dress looks a little more polished, and hence more sophisticated, taking away your doubts? Or barring that, how about slightly longer earrings to play up the pretty neckline and your beautiful collarbone? (I suggest these things only because you asked the question, not because I personally think the dress needs anything at all!)

232323232%7Ffp%3B44%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C73299%3C6335nu0mrj

Thanks for posting the pix!

Read an interesting article in "More" magazine. One woman uses lots of makeup, goes to the hair salon twice a week and dermatologist once a month. Another woman has a very minimal makeup routine. They switched places for one week.

Both were a bit uncomfortable but stuck with it. The minimalist didn't like the amount of time (and $$) the process took and preferred her more natural look.

The lots of makeup woman quickly returned to her routine.

I think most CCFs are somewhere in the middle.

Here's a small part of what the lots woman said: "Did anyone care if I was wearing makeup? Did they treat me any differently? I was surprised to find that answer was no. The only person giving it a moment's thought was me.

The truth is, I just feel better when I've given myself every cosmetic advantage. So as much as I grasp the convenience of dialing it back, I won't be doing it regularly. I like looking my best and enjoy every moment of the primping process."

BTW: She owns 300+ makeup products, has 36 products in her shower and spends $6000 annually on hair care!:eek:

QUESTION: On average, how much time do you spend getting ready in the morning and again at night?

My Going Out Routine takes about 30-35 minutes and at night, 10-15 minutes. If I'm not leaving the house, 10 minutes does it in the morning.

Here is my estimate per year. I also believe in the 30 minute rule. Anything longer and I give up.

Cut & Color $800

Nails $1300 (wowza didn't realize it was that much)

Shampoo/Conditioner $100

Gels, Sprays, etc $30 maybe

Waxes $750

Makeup $200

lotions/potions/cleansers $100 - i can rarely stick to a routine here

Dermatologist - $0 but looking to start going to one

I can't tell you how many makeup products I have. Too many to count. For travel purposes though I did get the Sephora giant box of every color imaginable for eyeshadows, 4 eyeliners, lots of lip gloss colors, and 4 blushes. It is the size of a shoe box at the most but it covers anything that I might wish I had packed but forgot had I tried to pack things individually.

Let's see , interesting topic .

Nails:

I get a pedi once a month and my mani every 15 days. This is less expensive in Brazil , about $50 a month

Cost :$600 yearly

Hair- my hair is my best point , I think. It is long , very healthy and shiny naturally. I get highlights every 3 months and cuts every 50 days or so. I use normal drugstore shampoo and no product. I air dry it most days and sometimes use the curling iron .

Cost: $500 yearly

Skin:

Spend more here- I get yearly CO2 laser treatments to improve skin texture , about $500 plus good skincare products , maybe $300

Cost : $800

Make-up:

I love top shelf products like Nars and Chanel , but don't use a lot of make up daily , so it does last... Maybe $500

$500 yearly

Body:

I get a lymphatic drainage massage once a week

$840 yearly ( yikes!)

Pilates and Gym Membership :

$2880 a year ( owwwwwwwww)

Gosh , I guess I am more high maintenance than I thought!

I spend 10 minutes tops on hair and make up unless I am going out somewhere special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My shelves are different than link. Has a top. I will definitely post a pic when I hang it up and let you know about wrinkles. Can't be worse than normal. Although because of my travel plans they will be in a suitcase longer than normal! I paid $3 at a discount store, not a chain. A buyout store I guess so quality is good.

lovestx: No carry-ons for us - except my Bagalini tote. I wear the same clothes all day and to dinner. If our luggage arrives before dinner (and it always has been there in the afternoon), DH will change from shorts to Dockers for dinner.

geocruiser: I do all the packing. Most of my clothes, etc. are in one suitcase, a few get placed in DHs suitcase. This works for us because DH doesn't get clothes to me as early as I would like.

Packing takes a while and it's easier if mine is almost done when he gives me his stuff (sometimes I suggest alternate choices if his outfits aren't quite what I would like to see him wear...)

SeagoingMom: You're right! My issue with the red dress is the length. It's a little shorter than my comfort level, but for cruising, it works. Thanks for your constructive criticisms! Truly, I appreciate the feedback:).

t60: Sorry, I've never been on a River Cruise or to Asia...can't help, but there are other CCFs who are there for you!!

#1 DS & family spent the weekend at the lake house and we Skyped with #2 DS's family. Both granddaughters will be taking "high heels" for formal night - Yikes, they're turning into young ladies:eek: (at ages 8 & 9). The "high heels" are really wedges and not "high" at all - but they are feeling very grown up. Turning into young CCFs:cool:.

There isn't much left to do - a small bit of last minute packing and a few other chores. It feels like one minute we were thinking about a Family Cruise over a year away, and the next moment we're counting down hours - no longer months, weeks or days.

We'll go to #1 DS's house Thursday since they live much closer to the airport. Friday, we should meet up with #2 at the hotel in the afternoon.

Planning outfits; all those tedious details make the planning and waiting so much sweeter. This is a wonderful place to visit during all that time. I've learned so much before every cruise:cool::).

DH is loving the new camera and promises to take lots of CCF-worthy pix every day. I'm looking forward to tropical temperatures and summer clothes:cool:.

I´m sure many of you must have travelled to Vietnam/Cambodia, so I need your help please. I know I´ll need to pack light (for a change) . It will be a River cruise, with a couple of internal flights, so not sure how informal (or not) it will be or laundry facilities. Please can I have some hints as to what would be appropriate clothing for the trip both for myself and OH...I was thinking perhaps a couple of pairs of capris and loose tops for me....although i really prefer dresses during the day time in hot countries. Reading through some of the reviews it seems that humidity is a problem with people changing 2 or even 3 times a day, that doesn´t equate to packing light tho...

Sandy in Spain

Hi Sandy:) go check the "River Cruise" forum. I am actually looking at

River cruises too! Trying to see about stepping outside the box from

the larger ships and seeing some places on a River Cruise.

I need to do some more research but I do not think you need to bring

"formal stuff'. And I do know a few of the ship I have looked at do have

laundry facilities.

#1 DS & family spent the weekend at the lake house and we Skyped with #2 DS's family. Both granddaughters will be taking "high heels" for formal night - Yikes, they're turning into young ladies:eek: (at ages 8 & 9). The "high heels" are really wedges and not "high" at all - but they are feeling very grown up. Turning into young CCFs:cool:.

There isn't much left to do - a small bit of last minute packing and a few other chores. It feels like one minute we were thinking about a Family Cruise over a year away, and the next moment we're counting down hours - no longer months, weeks or days.

We'll go to #1 DS's house Thursday since they live much closer to the airport. Friday, we should meet up with #2 at the hotel in the afternoon.

Planning outfits; all those tedious details make the planning and waiting so much sweeter. This is a wonderful place to visit during all that time. I've learned so much before every cruise:cool::).

DH is loving the new camera and promises to take lots of CCF-worthy pix every day. I'm looking forward to tropical temperatures and summer clothes:cool:.

Hope you have a great cruise. Looking forward to those pictures.

SeagoingMom: You're right! My issue with the red dress is the length. It's a little shorter than my comfort level, but for cruising, it works. Thanks for your constructive criticisms! Truly, I appreciate the feedback:).

Glad to hear I made the right guess -- I felt we were "peas in a pod," in this instance -- similar age, similar style. I have several dresses I really love, but which are just a little short for me to feel they are "perfect," and it is the length that I think makes them look "young." I still wear them in the right situation, as you do. And probably, just like for you, no one else thinks they look too short. The color of the dress, incidentally, is fabulous on you! (And I hope you did not really interpret my first comments as criticisms, as they absolutely were not! I think the outfit looks great on you, as is!)

P.S. (Presuming this based on your CC user name): I, too, am an "Indiana girl," having lived there for 11 years, graduated from Purdue, met and married my husband there. Been "transplanted" to Georgia because of my husband's job. But I have fond memories, and a soft spot for the state, even though I am originally a New Englander.

I think I love this thread. We are not cruising until October but I have a list of clothes I want to buy that I can wear onboard. I haven't planned out my outfits for a cruise before but I have for Disney trips and it helps! No more overpacking. Looking forward to chatting with everyone. :)

Edited by jenny105

I think I love this thread. We are not cruising until October but I have a list of clothes I want to buy that I can wear onboard. I haven't planned out my outfits for a cruise before but I have for Disney trips and it helps! No more overpacking. Looking forward to chatting with everyone. :)

Welcome! I love the whole Fashion and Beauty forum. Most everyone plays nice. You get to see great cruise clothing and get help with all your clothing/make-up/jewelry/accessories questions.

I too love this forum. I am not cruising for another year -21 day Caribbean cruise, but you ladies have inspired me to re think my closet and plan for everyday clothes like for a cruise. I have a couple of ideas for you.

-if you have a Clothes Closet near you, try it out. It's an upscale clothes resale store and have amazing clothes at great prices.

-if you are ever able, check out resale shops in Florida. The clothes items are usually tropical, cruise appropriate.

_ check out http://www.beallsflorida.com for cruise clothes and home decor. I have bought bedding, towels, lots of clothes and even Caribbean rum cake( look for food items in the For the Home tab).

Thanks for so many great evenings listening to you all.

I too love this forum. I am not cruising for another year -21 day Caribbean cruise, but you ladies have inspired me to re think my closet and plan for everyday clothes like for a cruise. I have a couple of ideas for you.

-if you have a Clothes Closet near you, try it out. It's an upscale clothes resale store and have amazing clothes at great prices.

-if you are ever able, check out resale shops in Florida. The clothes items are usually tropical, cruise appropriate.

_ check out www.beallsflorida.com for cruise clothes and home decor. I have bought bedding, towels, lots of clothes and even Caribbean rum cake( look for food items in the For the Home tab).

Thanks for so many great evenings listening to you all.

I live right near several Beall's:D....they do have a wonderful

selection and the prices are ALWAYS great:D......love Beall's!

Welcome! I love the whole Fashion and Beauty forum. Most everyone plays nice. You get to see great cruise clothing and get help with all your clothing/make-up/jewelry/accessories questions.

Thanks! I'm fairly new to the boards and lurking mostly. I came across this thread and was like 'Yay! People who understand me!' :p

jenny105: Another WELCOME! It's always nice to see regular posters here, and really nice to see first-timers:). You have time to plan all the outfits and shop for needed items.

sea cruiser52: I've been to the beallsflorida website and like what's there. My question is: do the sizes run small, large or true to size? Sometimes petite sizes are big and other times the Petite Small would fit my slender 9-year old granddaughter!

I would love to order from bealls. The clothes are so-o-o Cruise Appropriate.

BTW - This is an example of how CCFs share info and suggestions - I would not order from an unfamiliar site; but if it's recommended, I'll give it a try:).

sea cruiser52: I've been to the beallsflorida website and like what's there. My question is: do the sizes run small, large or true to size? Sometimes petite sizes are big and other times the Petite Small would fit my slender 9-year old granddaughter!

I would love to order from bealls. The clothes are so-o-o Cruise Appropriate.

:).

Beall's clothes run small for some of the brands especially Paradise Bay ,the gloria vanderbilt pants & the Hot Cotton tops .

And of course, I see now, after posting a previous reply, that you are from PA, not IN! Ooops!

indiana71 ,

I have a question about the way you pack your jewelry. I know that you pack each outfit’s jewelry in a baggie. When you pack all your jewelry in the suitcase do you put it in a box, or something hard cased to protect it from being broken in the suitcase?

I pack the Baggies with each days jewelry in one of those free zippered make-up bags that you get with a cosmetics promotion. Mine is packed now or I'd take a photo.

The little jewelry baggies are labeled for each outfit and then stood on end in the order they will be worn. That way nothing gets crushed.

A couple "stretchy" bracelets that I don't like to fold are put on a toilet tissue core and wrapped in tissue before going in the suitcase. (I cut the core to fit the bracelets...don't need to take up any unneeded space!)

This isn't the photo I was looking for (thought there was one showing the makeup bag...) but you can see the baggies and how they're labeled.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3565%3B54%3A%3B2335nu0mrj

After more searching, I Found It! You can see the makeup bag and the stretchy bracelets on the toilet tissue core. Each outfit is labeled. My spreadsheet is out for reference. As each item is packed, it's checked off.

232323232%7Ffp%3B87%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D358974%3A679335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71