Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Love the J Crew shorts... But in the MDR I think you would have to dress them up a bit , with a blazer or a satin blouse and little heels. Like this , but lose the oxfords and shades ( too daytime).

Some may frown , but if you are young and have good legs , it is a cute look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brazilgirl, I think the OP is planning on doing just that. Long sleeved dressy blouse plus wedges to go with the shorts.

Yes , she mentioned a white button down. I think something a bit more dressy or a cute blazer might make it look more evening/ dressy. Being that the shorts a chino , wedges and a button down would be cute , but quite casual. JMHO....be happy and have fun!

Love the J Crew shorts... But in the MDR I think you would have to dress them up a bit , with a blazer or a satin blouse and little heels. Like this , but lose the oxfords and shades ( too daytime).

Some may frown , but if you are young and have good legs , it is a cute look.

I actually have a white blazer that I think would look great with navy chinos! Thanks for the idea :D

Shorts in MDR on RCI.

I think the outfit sounds really cute and you should be able to wear shorts first night, dress code is relaxed (even though shorts normally are not allowed for dinner).

Routines

I am on the "natural" side of the middle. I color every 5-6 weeks, cut every other color. The cost is about $120 for both, less for just color.

I only wash my hair every other day, so depending on how it fared overnight, I can spend a 1-2 minutes just brushing it OR 15 minutes running the curling iron through it. Wet days, it's 15 minutes (maybe less, never timed it) to dry it.

On most days, after washing/moisturizer/sunscreen application, I use a little eyeliner, mascara, lipstick and a light dusting of loose powder (usually only in the summer to cut down on the "shine"). For "special" occasions, I add foundation to the mix. Night time: eye make up remover, face cleanser.

This is my First Day/Sailaway/Dinner outfit. Talbot's Capris, old but still good sandals.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B6898335nu0mrj

This is a Sea Day outfit. Coldwater Creek Capris, Tribal top. This top hasn't been on a cruise before...will surely make it again. Gold sandals are from PayLess, gold crossbody handbag from Consignment Shop.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B68%3A%3B335nu0mrj

And this is the dress from TJ Maxx...not sure if it will cruise again...Do you think it's a little "young", not really age appropriate?

232323232%7Ffp%3B44%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C73299%3C6335nu0mrj

Indiana,

Your first picture gave me a good laugh. I think you might want to bring some fig leaves on your next cruise to put on the naked statues!

iCruise717: The first night on RCI, you can wear shorts. Some passengers might still be waiting for luggage to be delivered and would be wearing traveling clothes. You won't have a problem at all.

What I find interesting in the photo you posted is the color choice for the model's top...does anyone else think it doesn't go with the shorts???

After the first night, I would advise you to NOT wear shorts to the Main Dining Room. They are totally appropriate, though, at the buffet.

Messages on t-shirts are my BIG pet peeve. In the last couple days, I've seen " I'm ALWAYS right", "Sorry, I find you boring"...and the only one that might be okay: "Take me to your liter (with a picture of a beer mug." Geez!

Just got home yesterday from the Bahamas on the Carnival Pride. The trip was great and the service/food were amazing!

I'm happy to report that there were some beautiful fashionistas on board in all sizes and ages.

I did pretty well with my choices this time and wore dresses every night to dinner. I wore long gowns on both elegant nights. I was in the minority but felt great in them. My new shoes were comfortable and looked good too. :D

There were quite a few very casually dressed folks and I have to admit that I was surprised at some of the outfits that came into the dining room. A young woman in cut off sweatpants was turned away but two women in Daisy Dukes (cut off jean shorts) were there the second elegant night. (There was bling on the pockets!) There was a table of folks in sweatpants and a man who wore his pj pants under his camo shorts most of the week. :( I guess I just don't get it.

Indiana,

Your first picture gave me a good laugh. I think you might want to bring some fig leaves on your next cruise to put on the naked statues!

Your second picture reminded me of the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Marie made a sculpture! :o:o

jkudzu: Daisy Duke shorts...with bling!! Oh my:eek:. We CCFs must keep Well Dressed Standard alive and well!

I've never been on Carnival, but have heard the dress policy is more casual...but still - Elegant Night means NOT casual.

But then, WE know that and will continue our quest to look as good as possible.

And it's always good to hear that a cruise was delightful, as yours was:cool:.

Ten Days from Right Now, we'll be flying to Ft. Lauderdale. Hello Family! Hello Sunshine! Hello Palm Trees!

I'm 92% packed (give or take a percentage point;)). DH has been very cooperative by placing his clothes in the Cruise Room.

My luggage scale will be the deciding factor - if it's under 50 - YAY! Over 50 - :(. But it's never been over and fingers are crossed that neither suitcase will be this time.

Just got home yesterday from the Bahamas on the Carnival Pride. The trip was great and the service/food were amazing!

I'm happy to report that there were some beautiful fashionistas on board in all sizes and ages.

I did pretty well with my choices this time and wore dresses every night to dinner. I wore long gowns on both elegant nights. I was in the minority but felt great in them. My new shoes were comfortable and looked good too. :D

There were quite a few very casually dressed folks and I have to admit that I was surprised at some of the outfits that came into the dining room. A young woman in cut off sweatpants was turned away but two women in Daisy Dukes (cut off jean shorts) were there the second elegant night. (There was bling on the pockets!) There was a table of folks in sweatpants and a man who wore his pj pants under his camo shorts most of the week. :( I guess I just don't get it.

Glad you had a good time and upheld the fine tradition of the CCF. :D

I don't understand the Daisy Dukes and the pjs either. You are going to a nice dinner and that is the best you can do?:confused:

I can't imagine wearing Daisy Dukes to dinner! :eek: I over shopped as usual for this trip and was starting to get worried that I was going to be over dressed, as most of my dresses are cocktail style. Then I figured, better to be over dressed than under dressed! I'll try to post pictures....not sure if it will work (how do you get the large pictures to post?)

image.jpg.d07d5d642e0aec379de99de48a2c8e7b.jpg

This is my long gown for one of the two formal night.

Hi Ladies!! I just found this thread! "Who knew?" My BFF and two other women friends leave June 15 on Carnival. She and I tend to go crazy shopping pre-cruise. She has a good excuse having just lost 20+. I lost 35 last summer so just impulse buying or "filler" shopping. Skipping my long dresses for formal night for dressy tops and capris or pants with heels. This group I travel with doesn't do long dresses. My daughters do, so save for another cruise. Wanted to share a tip. Won't know if its a good one till we get back!!

I hate unpacking. To me it takes up time I could be on deck! However I hate suitcases laying about. So I always pack a wheeled duffle that can collapse under bed or closet. So I purchased canvas hanging shelves. Hung in my closet and very carefully folded shorts and tops for one, capris and tops for another, sweaters and a long sleeve in one and tops that need to be hung up in the last. This unit has a small rod to attach at the bottom for hanging space in closet. It fit perfect in my duffle and once on board I will hang it up, a few tops too and I'm done!! Used a vacuum bag for swimwear and unmentionablesthere was room for shoes too. Outside pockets for toiletries and jewelry. (I'm driving so no worries).

I'll let you know how it works!

This is my First Day/Sailaway/Dinner outfit. Talbot's Capris, old but still good sandals.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B6898335nu0mrj

This is a Sea Day outfit. Coldwater Creek Capris, Tribal top. This top hasn't been on a cruise before...will surely make it again. Gold sandals are from PayLess, gold crossbody handbag from Consignment Shop.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B68%3A%3B335nu0mrj

And this is the dress from TJ Maxx...not sure if it will cruise again...Do you think it's a little "young", not really age appropriate?

232323232%7Ffp%3B44%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C73299%3C6335nu0mrj

I love the red dress:)....or is it coral? Do I think it is age appropriate?

Yes...I think it is very cute...I am 55 and would wear it. I really like

the neckline.

Wanted to share a tip. Won't know if its a good one till we get back!!

I hate unpacking. To me it takes up time I could be on deck! However I hate suitcases laying about. So I always pack a wheeled duffle that can collapse under bed or closet. So I purchased canvas hanging shelves. Hung in my closet and very carefully folded shorts and tops for one, capris and tops for another, sweaters and a long sleeve in one and tops that need to be hung up in the last. This unit has a small rod to attach at the bottom for hanging space in closet. It fit perfect in my duffle and once on board I will hang it up, a few tops too and I'm done!!

I'll let you know how it works!

Sounds like a winner. Thanks for the idea!

sunnydaygirl: Please take a photo of your canvas shelves w/ clothes on them in your stateroom closet. Sounds like a good idea...but me, I need a visual to grasp the concept...

Weighed my suitcase yesterday - 38 pounds:). Wow! (hear my sigh of relief). DH's suitcase is still waiting for his shoes (3 pair??) and the makeup bag needs to be packed. All in all, seems like we'll be under that dreaded 50 pound max:cool:.

This is the first cruise in a couple years that we are flying the day before. That takes a little more Packing Strategy. Everything that is needed for Day 1 (from getting to Cruise Terminal to Dinner) must be on the top layer. It's so easy for me to pack little things (like DH's shave cream, sunscreen) in the little pockets of space that aren't easily accessible. So a list of necessities helped.

Now there will be no rummaging through all my carefully folded and tissue-papered clothes to find underwear, etc.:)

Edited by indiana71

I think the hanging shelves look something like this? (altho there are different brands/styles): http://www.amazon.com/Shelves-To-Go-Portable-Packing/dp/B005H3IM1O

http://www.riseandhang.com/

http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JetPack

I think they are most useful when doing a land trip and going from hotel to hotel - so that you don't have to 'unpack' at each destination and can pull this out of your suitcase and hang it up and you're done!

And congrats on your luggage weight - I always have to 'remove' or redistribute stuff to keep within the 50 lb weight limit for flights!:eek::(

Edited by Froufie

I have never exceeded the 50lb limit on any cruise and actually, the weight is usually closer to 40-45 lbs.:) and I have never felt like I was

short on clothing or "should have packed this or that"......:D

Guess I am on the low maintenance side;)

sunnydaygirl: Please take a photo of your canvas shelves w/ clothes on them in your stateroom closet. Sounds like a good idea...but me, I need a visual to grasp the concept...

Weighed my suitcase yesterday - 38 pounds:). Wow! (hear my sigh of relief). DH's suitcase is still waiting for his shoes (3 pair??) and the makeup bag needs to be packed. All in all, seems like we'll be under that dreaded 50 pound max:cool:.

This is the first cruise in a couple years that we are flying the day before. That takes a little more Packing Strategy. Everything that is needed for Day 1 (from getting to Cruise Terminal to Dinner) must be on the top layer. It's so easy for me to pack little things (like DH's shave cream, sunscreen) in the little pockets of space that aren't easily accessible. So a list of necessities helped.

Now there will be no rummaging through all my carefully folded and tissue-papered clothes to find underwear, etc.:)

Indiana,

Please tell me that you plan to pack at least one carryon between you and hubby that will include enough clothes to get you through one day and night? I always have my bathing suit, pjs, and a fresh outfit in my carryon. Hate to buy bathing suits so can't imagine arriving at a warm weather destination and having to go out on Day One and buy a new one!!!

The only time I go over the 50 lb limit is at Christmas because we cruise with our grandsons usually so I have all the Christmas decorations and gifts for them. But with saying that we usually wind up with 2 suitcases each and a carryon each for my DH and I. One of the carry-on has his cpap and the computer and our cameras. The other carryon has a set of clothes for both of us and our swimwear for the first day on ship.

This year we are flying so I am going to have to really condense things down with the Christmas gifts and decorations. Bummer!!:o

Gerry

Inidiana,

Do each of you pack your own suitcase? Or, do you each put half of the clothes in each suitcase? Just thinking about checking suitcase with the air line, and one go missing.

Edited by geocruiser

We pack half and half, so we both have some clothes if one case goes missing.

I also pack half and half. I learned the hard way years ago. We went on a cruise and only my husband's suitcase made it to the ship! The only night that I was dress right was for toga night! And that is the truth.