Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Carolfay - I agree and am like you - I always joke that I am old but not THAT old yet! I live in SFL and so many older women succumb to stretchy, elastic waist pants and flowered overblouses....and good for them if that makes them comfortable. But I am not going there yet - at 61 I still have a little time left....and it easier to lose a few lbs than a lot of lbs. So elastic waist pants are not yet on the table for me.

We have found that we don't eat much differently onboard than we do at home - my downfall is a couple of those wonderful cookies every day....and bread pudding when I am on HAL! Because DH is a diabetic, we eat low carb at home and it is the easiest thing to stay on while cruising.

I like sundresses and wear them a lot - and they are most forgiving when cruising! :D

We do sound alike, cindiedee. I'm 60 and having plenty of fun with the nice clothes I couldn't afford when I was young - including pretty sundresses. There may come a day when I'll be glad I had my fling with fashion . . .

I just love the elastic waist pants that I make. If any of you sew these pants are easy and fit nice. I have to make another pair or two for up north because I left the ones I made in my Florida home.

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8584-products-9972.php?page_id=264

I agree, elastic waist pants are not just for seniors!

I do also agree though, about structured pants with the really tight ruched elastic waist, the are not a young persons pant.

I have a couple of pairs of elasticated waist pants and a couple of skirts in that black kind of loose flowing material but it isn't the ruched type of elastic but just a long band of it sewn under the top of the material.

And btw I am circa 20 years younger than the ladies not wanting to go down the slippery slope but for me it depends on the style of something:D

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I agree, elastic waist pants are not just for seniors!

I do also agree though, about structured pants with the really tight ruched elastic waist, the are not a young persons pant.

I have a couple of pairs of elasticated waist pants and a couple of skirts in that black kind of loose flowing material but it isn't the ruched type of elastic but just a long band of it sewn under the top of the material.

And btw I am circa 20 years younger than the ladies not wanting to go down the slippery slope but for me it depends on the style of something:D

I agree with you. It depends on style. And how the style looks on you.

When sewing your own pant and tops you most times can get a great fit.

This is another one that I like.

!http://butterick.mccall.com/b4238-products-1451.php?page_id=154

Edited by geocruiser

I completely agree with maintaining weight so all the $$$$ invested in clothing isn't wasted (no pun intended:rolleyes:!). That's a good incentive for me to step on the scale several times a week.

My weight varies between 4-7 pounds more than my wedding day, 46 years ago. Granted, it isn't distributed the same...

I completely agree with maintaining weight so all the $$$$ invested in clothing isn't wasted (no pun intended:rolleyes:!). That's a good incentive for me to step on the scale several times a week.

My weight varies between 4-7 pounds more than my wedding day, 46 years ago. Granted, it isn't distributed the same...

It is wonderful that you kept your weight the same for 46 years. Mine has gone up a bit. But now I am normal weight for my height and age. In my younger days I was very under weight.

By the way the last line you wrote really got me laughing!

I did it today! Had an appointment at a different salon for a mani. Talked with the owner about a gel manicure and decided to go for it. He used CND shellac and so far (3 hours), it's great! I couldn't get over the fact that my nails were dry almost instantly.

If they stay like this, I'll go back before Oasis.

This salon is different from the one at the mall - that one doesn't take appointments so wait time is often an hour. It's much bigger and less personal.

The salon today is owned and operated by a husband and wife who seem to be knowledgeable and friendlier.

Our luggage is packed, ready to load in the car tomorrow evening. I will do my best to remember to have DH take more outfits photos...

I did it today! Had an appointment at a different salon for a mani. Talked with the owner about a gel manicure and decided to go for it. He used CND shellac and so far (3 hours), it's great! I couldn't get over the fact that my nails were dry almost instantly.

This salon is different from the one at the mall - that one doesn't take appointments so wait time is often an hour. It's much bigger and less personal.

The salon today is owned and operated by a husband and wife who seem to be knowledgeable and friendlier.

Our luggage is packed, ready to load in the car tomorrow evening. I will do my best to remember to have DH take more outfits photos...

My daughter gets the gel manicure and adores it. She says that is the only way she can keep her nails looking nice for 2 weeks without chips and dings. I can't stand any polish on my fingernails but have to have my toenails polished. Very strange.

I hope that the new polish works. Have a great trip. I will be waiting for pictures.

I did it today! Had an appointment at a different salon for a mani. Talked with the owner about a gel manicure and decided to go for it. He used CND shellac and so far (3 hours), it's great! ..
j

CelticGirlCruiser will be proud of you Indiana for trying the Shellac!!

When I do my own nails with regular polish, by Day 2 at least a little polish has chipped somewhere! Today my nails look really good - like they were just done:)!

I didn't see the color name since the bottles were on a shelf behind the manicurist - should have asked!!!! My nails are a bright Caribbean pink...will be more diligent next time (optimistic that there WILL BE a next time;)),

The last load of laundry is in the dryer. I'm leaving for Thursday Wine Time shortly and we'll put luggage in the car tonight.

Keep the conversation going while I'm gone! I'll report on Cruise Fashion and what Bermudians are wearing upon my return:cool:.

Edited by indiana71

When I do my own nails with regular polish, by Day 2 at least a little polish has chipped somewhere! Today my nails look really good - like they were just done:)!

I didn't see the color name since the bottles were on a shelf behind the manicurist - should have asked!!!! My nails are a bright Caribbean pink...will be more diligent next time (optimistic that there WILL BE a next time;)),.

Sounds maybe like Hot Pop Pink.

Now don't be tempted to take it off yourself, especially peeling it, as it can take the top layer of the nail if you do this!

Give me a shout when you want to have it taken off or read my posts about how it should be removed in the salon/spa.

:o

Yes very proud indeed! And yet another convert to Shellac polish!

Which color did you have?

indiana71

This is my first time on here, have been following this thread daily for a while , had to read all to catch up. I have enjoyed your stories of fashion, I go on a cruise once a year for about the past 13 years... This year we will go on a second. Recently switched over to NCL and love it. October were going on the new Breakaway out of NewYork. I know your on a cruise right now, can't wait to here and see your outfits and how your mani held up. Appreciate all your Fashionista advice. Love it!!!!!!:D

Returned home a couple hours ago. Already stopped at the dry cleaner and grocery store, laundry sorted and started...a few minutes to check in with the CCFs.

Weather was perfect! How nice to be able to wear those fun tropical outfits...without a sweater or jacket:cool:. Bermuda, as always, was beautiful. We were there 2 nights.

Cruise Passengers Fashionista Rating: Women, for the most part, I would rate 8 (on a scale of 1 - 10). Many were dressed exactly as a CCF would be; a few...not so much. There were very few young ladies in really short Spandex.

Several times DH commented that the female half of a couple looked very nice, while the male half had on old jeans and a sloppy Tshirt.

One sundress didn't get worn. It was a bit chilly in the evening and we were going to a festival at the Dockyard in Bermuda. I opted for Capris and a long-sleeved top and was comfortable.

The rest of the time I followed the spreadsheet and wore what was indicated.

We purchased a new camera. Yay!! It was at a camera sale onboard and DH spent a while on the features. Now I need to load in the program and upload photos from the old and new cameras. That will be after this weekend.

Before the cruise, I had laid out clothes to wear to the lake house this weekend - Capris and fun summery tops...NOT Gonna Happen:(. It's cold!!! Why is Mother Nature treating us so badly???? DH is anxious to have some boat time. If that happens, it won't be in a swimsuit;)!

BTW - I'm always reminding DH to apply sunscreen. On the way back from St. George's, we sat on the top deck of the water taxi...in 35 minutes my arms and neck area were sunburned. No sunscreen! For 2 days it was sensitive and now the redness is gone - without peeling; thank goodness! Lesson learned - ALWAYS carry sunscreen!

My manicure is holding up beautifully! I'm a believer and will go to the salon to have it removed and new shellac put on. I'll make an appt next week:).

BeCruzin: Welcome to CCF!! Friends were on the inaugural of the Breakaway and loved it! Keep coming back and let us know what outfits, etc. you are taking.

Edited by indiana71

Returned home a couple hours ago. Already stopped at the dry cleaner and grocery store, laundry sorted and started...a few minutes to check in with the CCFs.

Weather was perfect! How nice to be able to wear those fun tropical outfits...without a sweater or jacket:cool:. Bermuda, as always, was beautiful. We were there 2 nights.

Cruise Passengers Fashionista Rating: Women, for the most part, I would rate 8 (on a scale of 1 - 10). Many were dressed exactly as a CCF would be; a few...not so much. There were very few young ladies in really short Spandex.

Several times DH commented that the female half of a couple looked very nice, while the male half had on old jeans and a sloppy Tshirt.

One sundress didn't get worn. It was a bit chilly in the evening and we were going to a festival at the Dockyard in Bermuda. I opted for Capris and a long-sleeved top and was comfortable.

The rest of the time I followed the spreadsheet and wore what was indicated.

We purchased a new camera. Yay!! It was at a camera sale onboard and DH spent a while on the features. Now I need to load in the program and upload photos from the old and new cameras. That will be after this weekend.

Before the cruise, I had laid out clothes to wear to the lake house this weekend - Capris and fun summery tops...NOT Gonna Happen:(. It's cold!!! Why is Mother Nature treating us so badly???? DH is anxious to have some boat time. If that happens, it won't be in a swimsuit;)!

BTW - I'm always reminding DH to apply sunscreen. On the way back from St. George's, we sat on the top deck of the water taxi...in 35 minutes my arms and neck area were sunburned. No sunscreen! For 2 days it was sensitive and now the redness is gone - without peeling; thank goodness! Lesson learned - ALWAYS carry sunscreen!

My manicure is holding up beautifully! I'm a believer and will go to the salon to have it removed and new shellac put on. I'll make an appt next week:).

BeCruzin: Welcome to CCF!! Friends were on the inaugural of the Breakaway and loved it! Keep coming back and let us know what outfits, etc. you are taking.

WELCOME HOME

Happy to hear that you had a nice trip. Do you all ways pack one cold weather outfit for a warm weather cruise? Or is the outfit put together from pieces that belong to other outfits? With sunscreen, I carry “For Faces Only” it is in a little jar. It is only about two inches round and one inch deep. Very light and small to put in my bag. I do use it on my arms and legs if needed.

It is cold here too. Last night it went down to 41.

Planning for Possible Cool Evenings: I take 2 pairs of long pants and 3 tops that coordinate. Those are add-ons but usually do get worn. Seems that even in the Caribbean (or air-conditioned theater) that the sundress at dinner isn't enough coverage for the rest of the evening.

I always have a cardigan or some sort of cover-up for dresses, but sometimes pants are the best and most comfortable choice.

Leaving from Baltimore is so-o-o easy! The car was parked steps away from the port building. Good thing since it was cold and raining when we returned!

Grandeur is a nice ship, we would book again. It isn't the newest or biggest or most dazzling...but the ship is very nice and the crew did a very acceptable job. No complaints...except for that clingy shower curtain!:p

Solution for a 'too friendly' shower curtain: get some clothespins or 'clips' and attach them to the bottom of the shower curtain! I keep a set of 6 plastic clips (from walmart) in my cruise box and they come with me on every cruise! (also good for keeping that towel attached to your lounger!) :D:D

Planning for Possible Cool Evenings: I take 2 pairs of long pants and 3 tops that coordinate. Those are add-ons but usually do get worn. Seems that even in the Caribbean (or air-conditioned theater) that the sundress at dinner isn't enough coverage for the rest of the evening.

I always have a cardigan or some sort of cover-up for dresses, but sometimes pants are the best and most comfortable choice.

Leaving from Baltimore is so-o-o easy! The car was parked steps away from the port building. Good thing since it was cold and raining when we returned!

Grandeur is a nice ship, we would book again. It isn't the newest or biggest or most dazzling...but the ship is very nice and the crew did a very acceptable job. No complaints...except for that clingy shower curtain!:p

A cardgan is a great idear. I am all ways cold. Happy to see you are back and not on the Grandeur now. I am very happy that no one was hurt with the fire they had onboard..

Welcome back, CCF! Glad you had a nice time. And really glad that you were back on firm land before Grandeur had that fire! Thankfully it sounds as if everyone is safe but what a disappointment to have a vaction cancelled.

I've been reading the live post thread from Grandeur and it seems that RCI is handling the situation quite competently.

We enjoyed cruising on Grandeur and would not hesitate to book again. Emergencies can occur on airplanes, cars; and in our homes. Having a trained crew that can act quickly is critical.

The morning DH played golf, I spent time in the Solarium and heard many announcements directed to the crew. They were performing emergency drills and every crew member took the procedure seriously. I was very impressed.

On a lighter note: DH wonders how many cruisers before us had their backsides wrapped in the shower curtain:rolleyes:????

Storage in our inside room was more than adequate. I liked the new shelving, drawer and shallow cabinet w/ door in the bathroom.

Tomorrow, I'll be starting The Packing Process for our Family Cruise.

Later today - a couple photos to post from The Last Cruise.

Edited by indiana71

This is my First Day/Sailaway/Dinner outfit. Talbot's Capris, old but still good sandals.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B6898335nu0mrj

This is a Sea Day outfit. Coldwater Creek Capris, Tribal top. This top hasn't been on a cruise before...will surely make it again. Gold sandals are from PayLess, gold crossbody handbag from Consignment Shop.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B68%3A%3B335nu0mrj

And this is the dress from TJ Maxx...not sure if it will cruise again...Do you think it's a little "young", not really age appropriate?

232323232%7Ffp%3B44%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C73299%3C6335nu0mrj