Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

And this is the dress from TJ Maxx...not sure if it will cruise again...Do you think it's a little "young", not really age appropriate?

232323232%7Ffp%3B44%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C73299%3C6335nu0mrj

I like this dress. It looks cool and comfortable. The color is very cruise-y.

Glad you were not on Grandeur this week! I wish the media would talk more about how well the crew handled the entire emergency.

This is my First Day/Sailaway/Dinner outfit. Talbot's Capris, old but still good sandals.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B6898335nu0mrj

This is a Sea Day outfit. Coldwater Creek Capris, Tribal top. This top hasn't been on a cruise before...will surely make it again. Gold sandals are from PayLess, gold crossbody handbag from Consignment Shop.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B68%3A%3B335nu0mrj

And this is the dress from TJ Maxx...not sure if it will cruise again...Do you think it's a little "young", not really age appropriate?

232323232%7Ffp%3B44%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C73299%3C6335nu0mrj

I just love the dress and it looks great on you. I would take it again on a cruise.

:) missed you on the thread!!! So glad you weren't on the cruise with the fire.

This is my First Day/Sailaway/Dinner outfit. Talbot's Capris, old but still good sandals.[/color]

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B6898335nu0mrj

This is a Sea Day outfit. Coldwater Creek Capris, Tribal top. This top hasn't been on a cruise before...will surely make it again. Gold sandals are from PayLess, gold crossbody handbag from Consignment Shop.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C6%3C%3B68%3A%3B335nu0mrj

I received a coupon in the mail from Payless and stopped this morning. Sitting on the shelf, at my eye level, was a pair of dress black strappy heels. The black patent heels I wore on the Last Cruise were not comfortable; but would have made it on this cruise. Now I have new shoes for formal night and won't need to change them quickly...best part: The tag on the box was a markdown to $9.99 (from $19.99) and with my coupon, they were $7.99:)! Heaven knows I've paid over $100 for shoes at times and that didn't guarantee a good fit!

BTW: My shellac mani is still looking good. My nails have grown a bit, of course, but the color is shiny and not a chip anywhere:).

First - let me say that yesterday and today, thermometer has been well over 80!! I went from jeans and sweater to shorts and tank top:).

Read an interesting article in "More" magazine. One woman uses lots of makeup, goes to the hair salon twice a week and dermatologist once a month. Another woman has a very minimal makeup routine. They switched places for one week.

Both were a bit uncomfortable but stuck with it. The minimalist didn't like the amount of time (and $$) the process took and preferred her more natural look.

The lots of makeup woman quickly returned to her routine.

I think most CCFs are somewhere in the middle.

Here's a small part of what the lots woman said: "Did anyone care if I was wearing makeup? Did they treat me any differently? I was surprised to find that answer was no. The only person giving it a moment's thought was me.

The truth is, I just feel better when I've given myself every cosmetic advantage. So as much as I grasp the convenience of dialing it back, I won't be doing it regularly. I like looking my best and enjoy every moment of the primping process."

BTW: She owns 300+ makeup products, has 36 products in her shower and spends $6000 annually on hair care!:eek:

QUESTION: On average, how much time do you spend getting ready in the morning and again at night?

My Going Out Routine takes about 30-35 minutes and at night, 10-15 minutes. If I'm not leaving the house, 10 minutes does it in the morning.

$6000 a year on hair care!!!!! I don't spend more than $250.

I'm more on the minimalist side. Most days I don't wear any make-up so a couple of minutes to get my Alfalfa night hair to sit down and I'm done.

Interesting article, CCF. Something to think about.

My skin care/makeup routine in the morning usually takes 5+ minutes (I use Arbonne products for my skin and Bobbi Brown for makeup, generally). Nighttime is probably another 5 minutes. Getting fully ready depends on whether it's a hair washing day or not. Thick hair takes a long time to blow dry! And my makeup is very minimalist on a normal day (foundation,bronzer, blush, mascara and eyeliner plus lipstick when I leave the house).

But, ScrapNana, I could not possibly spend that little on my hair care for the year! We live outside Boston so it's a bit pricier but a cut and color runs me $120 plus tip. And I get a color every 5 weeks or so and a cut every 10 weeks or so.

But, CCF, I think you are right that most of us are in the middle between the "more" and the "minimalist".

Hi ladies! I am a week out from my cruise and am in need of a little advice. For the first night we are on board I am contemplating wearing navy chino shorts :eek: I have never considered anything other than dresses or possibly skirts but I really am planning on wearing shorts. The reason for this is the skirt I was originally planning on wearing is a bit too short in the back and I would uncomfortable wearing it.

They are nice 4 inch seam (fingertip length) chino shorts from J.Crew so I am not trying to pull off mesh shorts or the like. I am planning on wearing a white button down shirt with them and wedges. What do you ladies think? Am I being crazy? This is definitely out of my comfort zone...

I think I'm way closer to the minimalist, even though I enjoy fashion and clothes--makeup just seems to irritate my skin so I don't wear much, often. Unless I'm at a meeting for work, since I work from a home office, I don't wear any makeup. And I never wear it to go shopping, go out anywhere etc. except once in a great while (or when I'm on a cruise, to go to dinnner/evening events.) If I do wear makeup it's drugstore brand BB Cream, mascara, lipstick, eyeliner pencil and maybe an eyeshadow stick. Sometimes some undereye dark circle brightening cream.

As for hair, heck, I should do the math. I get my hair cut maybe 3 or 4 times a year at the cheapest place (I keep it long in a basic style so I don't need anyone very skilled to do it!) so that's maybe $75 per year. Then I have been using the at-home keratin treatment once a month, I use probably 2 packages every 3 months because it doesn't take the whole bottle each time, so that's about $110 per year. Then my at-home semi-permanent color which I do once per month at about $8 each time, so $96 per year on that. Assuming we aren't including shampoos/conditioners, which is basically the only other stuff I use on my hair, that comes to about $280 per year.

If I add makeup, shampoo, conditioner, facewash, moisturizer etc. and haircare purchases for a whole year (excluding my prescription Retin-A) it couldn't possibly be more than $400.

This gives me more money to spend on clothes and cruises, right? :)

Hi ladies! I am a week out from my cruise and am in need of a little advice. For the first night we are on board I am contemplating wearing navy chino shorts :eek: I have never considered anything other than dresses or possibly skirts but I really am planning on wearing shorts. The reason for this is the skirt I was originally planning on wearing is a bit too short in the back and I would uncomfortable wearing it.

They are nice 4 inch seam (fingertip length) chino shorts from J.Crew so I am not trying to pull off mesh shorts or the like. I am planning on wearing a white button down shirt with them and wedges. What do you ladies think? Am I being crazy? This is definitely out of my comfort zone...

I think it sounds fine, except does RCI have a rule against shorts in the main dining room or evening events? I know Celebrity frowns on them, unless you eat in the buffet. Technically I think you aren't supposed to wear shorts to the theater in the evening but I have never seen anyone asked to leave. The shorts sound like resort casual wear to me but I'd check for the "no shorts" rules before deciding. :)

I just took my ruler out and you either have very short arms or you are calling your thumb your fingertip;) If you are young and thin, you might get away with this outfit in the MDR. But it seems a bit casual to me.

FWIW, I've been known to be direct:D Sorry if I offend...

I think it sounds fine, except does RCI have a rule against shorts in the main dining room or evening events? I know Celebrity frowns on them, unless you eat in the buffet. Technically I think you aren't supposed to wear shorts to the theater in the evening but I have never seen anyone asked to leave. The shorts sound like resort casual wear to me but I'd check for the "no shorts" rules before deciding. :)

I checked the Royal boards for the "rules" and couldn't find anything that specifically said "no shorts." I will probably check when I get on board just in case though.

I just took my ruler out and you either have very short arms or you are calling your thumb your fingertip;) If you are young and thin, you might get away with this outfit in the MDR. But it seems a bit casual to me.

FWIW, I've been known to be direct:D Sorry if I offend...

No worries! I am 21 and in decent shape. I am a tour guide on my college campus and wear the same kind of shorts in khaki to give tours so I know they pass for "professional" at least in that scenario.

I just tried them on again and my middle finger comes about 1/2 inch past the shorts so they aren't exactly fingertip length but pretty close. :D

Thanks for the feedback!!

For reference, these are the shorts

f0oyn4.png

These are the ones I saw when I was checking before I posted.

Have to wonder how short the dress was!

At age 21 though, you are usually forgiven. But I'm not sure your fellow travelers will be pleased.

Thanks for the opinions! The skirt I was intending on wearing shrunk up a bit in the wash unexpectedly, which is why it is now too short. And if I was going to wear something "too short" I'd rather it be a nice pair of shorts than a skirt. Definitely safer, especially if there is any wind outside...:rolleyes:

I think I am going to wear them. My blouse is conservative, it's the first night and it's the MDR, no specialty restaurants.

Still thinking on it though...

Edited by iCruise717

iCruise,

I think you should wear the shorts if you will be comfortable in them. It sounds like a cute outfit that is on trend for someone your age. I like your self-confidence....it will take you far!

For reference, these are the shorts

f0oyn4.png

I think you'll be fine.

Since this is a free world, I think as long as you're covered up and not flashing anyone then you're okay. If your fellow cruisers are displeased, then that's they're problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the J Crew shorts... But in the MDR I think you would have to dress them up a bit , with a blazer or a satin blouse and little heels. Like this , but lose the oxfords and shades ( too daytime).

Some may frown , but if you are young and have good legs , it is a cute look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

201490796_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1370106706.662768.jpg.bc95022e622b210055f7b67ff445eb41.jpg

Love the J Crew shorts... But in the MDR I think you would have to dress them up a bit , with a blazer or a satin blouse and little heels. Like this , but lose the oxfords and shades ( too daytime).

Some may frown , but if you are young and have good legs , it is a cute look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very cute idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk