Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

If this has been asked, I apologize. I am going on a Jazz theme Eastern Caribbean Cruise on HAL in Jan. So excited. I understand the weather is typically 70s-80s on the islands during that time. I am no fashionista at all, but since I will be on HAL during the winter but warmer island weather at ports, I'm not sure how to pack. I think HAL is a bit more formal than RC or Carnival and I don't want to look silly.

My question is this. I know layering on the ship would help if I'm cold (usually am), but do people wear winter dark colors on the ship and fun summer color while on the ports. Seems this would cause lots of clothes.:confused:

Any tips would be totally appreciated.

If this has been asked, I apologize. I am going on a Jazz theme Eastern Caribbean Cruise on HAL in Jan. So excited. I understand the weather is typically 70s-80s on the islands during that time. I am no fashionista at all, but since I will be on HAL during the winter but warmer island weather at ports, I'm not sure how to pack. I think HAL is a bit more formal than RC or Carnival and I don't want to look silly.

My question is this. I know layering on the ship would help if I'm cold (usually am), but do people wear winter dark colors on the ship and fun summer color while on the ports. Seems this would cause lots of clothes.:confused:

For me if Im doing a Caribbean cruise, once I step on the ship its all white pants and summer clothes. I do bring 1 or 2 sweaters but no winter clothes. I wear home whatever I wore to the ship! Enjoy your cruise!

I agree, luvscruising2007, dressing for ourselves is very satisfying...and hoping others think we look good in our choices is a nice bonus.

As CCFs, we like to think that we have a good fashion sense. I'm always pleased when someone gives me a compliment. :)

...BUT the last 3 days I've been sitting at my desk sorting Family Cruise photos, transcribing notes from my Cruise Journal and putting all of that in a scrapbook (actually a 3-inch ring binder with pages back to back in sheet protectors)...and wearing an old pair of Susan Bristol elastic-waist red and white plaid shorts and a yellow polo shirt:eek:.

No makeup except for the Clinique Repairwear and moisturizer each day!

And I can tell you that the scrapbook is complete with 396 photos and a daily accounting of events and food (we take photos of our dinner each evening).

Tomorrow is a hair trim and color appointment and, believe me, I'm looking forward to makeup and wearing an appropriate Going-to-Starbucks-and-Hair-Salon outfit:)

It sounds like you have accomplished a lot. Enjoy your day of pampering. And I know you will look wonderful in what ever you choose to wear as you always look put together.

The only dark things I wear on a Caribbean cruise would be black formalwear or my LBD. Everything else is tropical!

Thanks for the input ladies. I like the way you think. :) Guess I should start looking for some tropical stuff while it's summer as it might be more difficult in December.

Now is the time to look for the sales. The summer stuff is all ready starting to go.

Thanks for the input ladies. I like the way you think. :) Guess I should start looking for some tropical stuff while it's summer as it might be more difficult in December.

And now is the perfect time - everything summer is on sale!

Am on my way home from travelling so can hardly wait to hit some sales

Have any of you heard of project 333

It is about wearing the same 33 items of clothing for 3 months ( not pjs, sports clothes etc). And basically interchanging the items. Interesting concept.

cruzisme: I've heard of the project 333 (just didn't know it had a name). It is a great concept (one that would work for lots of cruisers, too!)

In the winter, when I'm home a lot, and wearing jeans and sweaters; it could be possible...but never in warmer months/climates when there are many fun outfits and not much time to indulge in happy colors:cool:.

At the jcpenney Salon this morning, the stylist who has done my color and cut the last 2 times called off...so I had someone new. This was the Best Hair Salon experience of my life!!! She had a firm handshake when introducing herself, listened to what I wanted then repeated back. The color was the easy part since she used the previous formula. Then came the cut: she cut the back while it was wet, dried and used a flat iron THEN cut/trimmed the rest. Bingo!! That was genius because my hair has lots of cowlicks and when it's wet, they disappear.

My style isn't much different but the cut is worthy of a movie star's personal stylist:).

We have company coming to the Lake House. If/when photos are taken, I'll post one to show off!

BTW - DH is the best! He said (very nonchalantly) during lunch: "Why don't you book that April cruise out of New Orleans. The one you told me about." Wow! (I'm always checking out cruises and telling him...didn't know he was listening;))

I'm going to that thread right now!

cruzisme: I've heard of the project 333 (just didn't know it had a name). It is a great concept (one that would work for lots of cruisers, too!)

In the winter, when I'm home a lot, and wearing jeans and sweaters; it could be possible...but never in warmer months/climates when there are many fun outfits and not much time to indulge in happy colors:cool:.

At the jcpenney Salon this morning, the stylist who has done my color and cut the last 2 times called off...so I had someone new. This was the Best Hair Salon experience of my life!!! She had a firm handshake when introducing herself, listened to what I wanted then repeated back. The color was the easy part since she used the previous formula. Then came the cut: she cut the back while it was wet, dried and used a flat iron THEN cut/trimmed the rest. Bingo!! That was genius because my hair has lots of cowlicks and when it's wet, they disappear.

My style isn't much different but the cut is worthy of a movie star's personal stylist:).

We have company coming to the Lake House. If/when photos are taken, I'll post one to show off!

BTW - DH is the best! He said (very nonchalantly) during lunch: "Why don't you book that April cruise out of New Orleans. The one you told me about." Wow! (I'm always checking out cruises and telling him...didn't know he was listening;))

Sounds like a really great day! I looked at NO cruises before I booked our NE cruise. And it really is on our future to do list. Have fun planning.

Hi Ladies,

Since everyone is talking about sales, I wanted to tell you about Ann Taylor online. Just got done ordering 3 dresses (talls), a necklace and earrings for $122.00. Everything that was on sale is now an extra 60% off. I now think I have everything needed for my Sisters cruise in December!

Hi Ladies,

Since everyone is talking about sales, I wanted to tell you about Ann Taylor online. Just got done ordering 3 dresses (talls), a necklace and earrings for $122.00. Everything that was on sale is now an extra 60% off. I now think I have everything needed for my Sisters cruise in December!

I love those kind of sales!

Happy to hear that your hair came out great. I also used JCPenny for my last hair cut. She did a pretty good job. I know it was rough for her. She kept saying " it is so curly and thick". I will use her for my next cut. The more she does my hair the better it will come.

Wonderful HD of yours to have you book the cruise out of New Orleans. Get the spread sheet out!. Will you be staying pre or post cruise in New Orleans?

Do you find that you pack different outfits for a western or eastern cruise?

geocruiser: I haven't made a reservation yet, but we want to arrive in New Orleans Thursday to have 2 nights before the cruise.

I have a plethora of clothes & accessories in the Cruise Room and choose from those items no matter where we cruise (so far, eastern/western Caribbean, Bermuda; and one cruise included Boston and Newport).

Today was Shopping Day. I had a $25 Macy's gift card (from Mother's Day!). Purple jeans and a 3/4 sleeve Ralph Lauren top on sale...and 89 cents left on the gift card:). The jeans will go into general circulation. I would like to keep the top until The December Cruise...

My only other purchase was in the lingerie department - a couple undergarments were badly needed!

Yesterday (Saturday) was the first day of hosting Family Vacation at the Lake House. This is the first year that not everyone is here and some who did come, are leaving after a few days.

I pack much less for the 11 nights at the Lake House than for a 7-Night Cruise! What's up with that??? For one thing, it's much more laid back and there's rarely an evening that we put on "Dinner Clothes", i.e., fun sundresses. Jewelry consists of my go-to silver hoop earrings, 2 watches and a couple other pieces.

Shoes: 3 pairs of flat sandals, 1 pair of wedges:rolleyes:.

And it began raining as everyone arrived and continued (sometimes quite a downpour) into the evening.

Translation: Kids played electronic games, watched television

Adults: Drank wine or beer, got caught up on all the family comings and goings, watched television

This kind of vacation is always fun (even though DH & I joke that this is the only week out of the year that we aren't on "vacation";))...but I AM looking forward to the Next Cruise (10 nights in December:cool:)

LEXIpoo: Your shorts are too-o-o cute:)! I'm especially envious since none of my summery summer outfits got worn on the Vacation Week at the lake house...temp never got over 72:rolleyes:.

There isn't much time left for End of Season bargains...CCFs should be making time this week for a little Shopping for Deals:cool:.

As I packed all the clean clothes, my thoughts were in the Caribbean on a beautiful cruise ship...where the fun outfits WILL NOT hang unworn!

Had to go shopping for my girlfriends birthday and found 2 pairs of cute earrings.;)

After that job was done, it was time for me to find some sale stuff!

Managed to locate 2 pairs of capris-- one pair navy and one pair black! Perfect for my lifestyle. Didn't see much else for me but now is the time to look around for seasonal markdowns.

Serious business-- finding a long gown for October!:)

Are a must.. You can dress them up and down with jewelry. Almost everywhere I've looked this weekend, they have their cute dresses on sale. I bought one at Macy's just yesterday that was originally 75.00, marked down to just $13!!!!:D I plan on packing pretty light for my upcoming cruise. I also plan to pretty much living in my bathing suit(s) and coverup from Tarjay;)

oh, and my rainbows:rolleyes:

I have a 2-piece dress at the lake house. It's always been there...and was never in the running for a place in the Cruise Room...until last week.

It's a tan and orange mini flower print. The skirt is sort of A-line with a tiny bit of flounce. The blouse is collared and is worn untucked. "Why not wear this on The Next Cruise??"

That got me to thinking - Can I possibly go on The Next Cruise without buying ONE THING:eek::rolleyes:. Look at clothes, accessories that always miss the cut and discover new outfits!

Well, that's going to be my challenge. Can this Caribbean Cruising Fashionista live up to the goal??:confused:

It will be much easier for a cruise in December, since summer clothes aren't as plentiful.

I did see a Cruise Worthy knit top in the latest Talbot's catalog...so my challenge will begin September 1:cool:. (C'mon...if there's an End of Season Sale - and it's an item that has been on the Must Have list...any good CCF would consider holding off on her self-induced challenge!;))

Edited by indiana71