Favorite Cultural Food from Ports

TXHillbillyGirl

Cruising in March and will stop in Falmouth Jamaica. My husband is from Jamaican and my family is from Jamaica and Barbados. Therefore, needless to say I'm partial to west indian food. I can't wait to eat all my favorites, meat patties, by the way the come with various fillings, beef, chicken, vegetable and shrimp. Not sure if you can get them in Falmouth. Also looking forward to fried fish at the beach, fish tea soup, jerk chicken. I've never been to Falmouth so we're not sure what they have to offer.

Eat up and enjoy!!

Happy Cruising

Roadside stands always make me happy but the coolest thing I've eaten recently was at a roadside stand in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Up in the hills near the rainforest we stumbled upon a little shack that was roasting whole fish on sticks right over an open fire. I think I paid 2 pesos for a fish and you just ate it, bones & skin and all.

Fresh cerviche at the Fish market in Ensenada

Street food in Ensenada, farther away from the ship only better and better!!

Hermanos Ramerez tongue,palette and cheek tacos in Ensenada

Stewed Cowsfoot and Oxtail, plus jerk chicken at Seymours or Tony's in Grand Cayman

Gibnut in Belize!

Turtle in Grand Cayman

Shot of guifidee in Roatan.

all, so, so good!

Raw conch, conk cerviche yes...fritters....well maybe? It's always a crap-shoot with conk fritters, some you can't find the conk, like two little niblets in gooey batter. Others can be okay with the amount of conk, but popular places nearer the ship have over used old oil it always seems where the delicate conk flavor is lost? I had one order where the batter was seasoned so much the conk might as well have been crab or shrimp or shredded rubber :(

• 2 weeks later...

As a former Caymanian...who lives now in Alaska.....Cayman food is actually quite bland....Almost all the food mentioned comes by way of Jamaica....We used to be one large island until the Brits let Jamaica govern themselves....Caymanians wanted to stay in the commonwealth. Turtle is the one local food. It is very, very good. It is raised locally....not caught...most people see the turtle farms....Tastes a bit like veal. Turtle stew has all the parts of the turtle in it...the steaks are similar to scollopini.... Meat pies are not fried, they are baked and they come in spicy and non spicy. Cayman desserts are hard to find outside of home. Heavy cake is my favorite as is cream of wheat pudding....My aunt made them weekly and they were so good. She is in her 90's now....and doesn't cook anymore...Hope this helps....oh and for someone who asked about oysters in the Carribean? Forget it....they need cold weather. Alaska oysters are the best in the world.

Best port food for me was Key Lime Pie from the Blonde Giraffe in Key West. Yum!!!!!

Also last October we stopped at a very busy cafe outside of Calcuta, Italy where we were treated to incredible roast sucking pig. This was on a tour from Civitivechia. The next day on a tour from Livorno we went to a wine-tasting where we were served the absolute best lasgana and the waiter poured some truffle oil over the top before we ate it. To die for!!!

Ciao,

Nikki

We were done with our snorkeling excursion on Goff's Cay in Belize. A very small small island. The sun, the wind, the being worn out, and there was a gentleman selling lobster chicken kabobs, on a grill made out of an old oil drum. Beans were simmering in the can, and it was by far one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Hunger is the best seasoning.:)

Whenever, wherever we are in Mexico we always try to get papoosa on the street. Fried cornmeal cake with cheese and somtimes meat inside....love em! Chicharones too!

You have to go the extra mile to find anything authentic near cruise ports, but street food is usually a good bet.

Last time on St Martin our tour stopped in Marigot before heading out the airport beach (way fun), while everyone else was busy buying trinkets I stopped at one of the little restaurants and picked up some oxtails for lunch on the beach!! So good!!! Everyone else had to suffer through their tourist food while we dined like the locals!

• 3 weeks later...

Rum cake in the Caymans, also Patties made there. Patties are not fried...they are baked...have a curry meat/chicken filling and the crust is yellow from Tumeric....and they can be very spicy....My husband is Caymanian.....and I know the food well....Most of the food in the restaurants in just regular food...but if you can get some turtle steaks....for sure try them....as well as curried goat....or oxtails....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had fish tacos at some little hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Acapulco that was recommended by our cab driver. "Eet ees verrry good. And I don't get anneeey keek back from dem...I eet there all dee time!" Fish tacos for me, steak fajitas for DH, homemade chips and salsa, four beers....all for the massive sum of $10.00.

I had a good experience at the quay-side cafe in Belize City with a dish of "Boil-up": a tomato sauce base with chunks of green and ripe plantain, cassava, yam, and sweet potato, a bit of pig's tail, a chunk of barracuda flesh, and some hard-boiled egg slices, all boiled together. It's also the national dish of Belize, sort of a regional adaptation of the British "boiled dinner" I think.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were at Playa del Carmen port we went to Xcaret. after you get past the main gate. start ahead is a little restaurant with no walls just thatched roof

me and my wife ordered about three or four main dishes a piece and tried all of them and shared what was left with some friend we meet on the ship.

But this one item stood out "it was like a burrito but instead of a tortilla is was thinly sliced beef rolled around goat cheese spinach onions and tomatoes.

my only thought when i tried this was "food of the gods" by the way i didn't share any except for one bite because my wife threatened me. but if you go there you have to try it:):p:D:o:);), sorry don't know what it was called.

• 1 month later...

Archived