Spirit 2/27 review: Animal House at Sea

wbrumel

I jsut read the copywrite at the bottom of the page, I was going to send this thread to my contact @ NCL is that a No No?
No, you're fine. You're sharing information that's available to everyone free of charge and you aren't representing someone else's words as your own. Please feel free to share our site.

The students are responsible for what happened on the cruise. From my observations and conversations with the captain and crew, everything that could possibly be done by NCL was being done.

In my view, this cruise experience revealed a deeply disturbing value system among many of our young people. They loved their behavior. They bragged about their behavior. They made every effort to conceal criminal acts. I believe that jenninigator3 is probably right when she states that good students fear the drunken bullies and their female counterparts.

I choose not to blame NCL. I choose not to excuse the spring breakers. I choose not to have my travel plans held hostage by vulgar brats burping their beer.

If this trip was booked by the Student Activities Program at the University of Florida, I believe the university bears the responsibility for screening the students. If the university cannot do that, they should get out of the travel agency business.

One more observation: These kids seemed to be very comfortable with their language and drinking habits and rude behavior. I can't prove it. But, I just don't think this was one wild week in their lives. I think this was business as usual except they were on a beautiful ship.

In short, we witnessed problems that go far beyond spring break or when one chooses to book a cruise or NCL's perceived (by some) shortcomings.

Now, does society accept or reject the corruption of our youth. I choose to reject.

How right you are about the entire mess. NMnita

I'm concerned about other threads that have been popping up this week and are posted by supposedly 18 year olds stating they are traveling in large groups for spring break. Is NCL allowing older teens to book rooms and travel without an adult on the cruise?

I'm concerned about other threads that have been popping up this week and are posted by supposedly 18 year olds stating they are traveling in large groups for spring break. Is NCL allowing older teens to book rooms and travel without an adult on the cruise?

Must be 21 - many of those popping up are trolls - posting for a reaction

I have cruised with many cruise lines. I know what to expect from each cruise experience before I book. I respect my fellow passengers. Most of all, I respect the staff that is waiting on me hand and foot during my vacation.

You are the ones that talks very loud in the elevator or at the table next to mine about how unhappy you are on this cruise and you will "NEVER CRUISE WITH THIS CRUISE LINE AGAIN".

You don't bother most of us, we find you entertaining. I truly feel for the cruise staff that must deal with you.

Of course, like everyone else, I am thankful I wasn't on that cruise: Now, was it NCLs place to tell anyone booking about the college kids? Of course not; they have no obligation to devulge anything like that, nor do the owe the cruisers anything. do you think if you go to Cancun or Daytona Beach during the spring break season and run into college kids all over the place your hotel is going to refund part of your money or give you credit for another stay? The out of control kids owe everyone an apology, if nothing else, but the cruise line owes no one anything. NMnita

I fully agree, NCL owes us nothing. Was I disappointed, YES but not in NCL. I was disappointed in the behavior of the young people. Did NCL handle it, YES as best they could. I hope for everyone that they were able to catch some of the individuals and that the Miami Police were there to meet the ship to arrest some of them.

From the NCL site:

Minors

A passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing the purchase or consumption of alcohol and preventing the violation of any ship rules. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a notarized parental/guardian consent letter that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier.

There is nothing about age 25.

From the NCL site:

Minors

A passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing the purchase or consumption of alcohol and preventing the violation of any ship rules. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a notarized parental/guardian consent letter that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier.

There is nothing about age 25.

Thanks for finding this. It confirms what we were told on-board.

Well, I am getting a little nervous, I dont care if there is some rowdyness, but I don't want it to ruin my vacation or that of family. It really upsets me to see people who are rude to other people, and that whole cruise seemed to be inconderate of older people.:eek: .

Well, I am getting a little nervous, I dont care if there is some rowdyness, but I don't want it to ruin my vacation or that of family. It really upsets me to see people who are rude to other people, and that whole cruise seemed to be inconderate of older people.:eek: .

I think that you will be o.k. I don't believe that this was the typical amount of college kids that you could expect. What made the 2/27 sailing appealing was; two colleges in Florida were on spring break which meant they could drive to Miami and not have to pay for airfare. Plus, it was a five day which fit their schedule. This was our 5th NCL Cruise and it was the first time we ever experienced such an overwhelming number of kids, combined with the fact that they were very out of control. I have no problem with college kids on board but I do have a problem when they are drunk and disrespectful.

Well, I'm glad this discussion took place and hope those that cruise in the next few weeks, on whatever line, have a better spring break.

I did not have a camera on this trip. Does anyone have pix of the pool area filled with the college kids? I want to show friends/family what it was like.

[

but with that said, I don't think it should have let it ruin your vacation. i think many people need to remember everyone that goes on a cruise is not going for relaxation...there are some who go to party and drink and whatever. but just because they want to do that, it shouldn't make your WHOLE vacation bad. life throws curveballs at you always and you just gotta deal. I'm not saying that at times I wouldn't have been mad but I wouldn't have let it ruin my whole time. But also I can understand where people say I spent alot of money on this and I deserve relaxation. But like i said, there are people who spent all that money to have a week on the seas partying.

I was on the 2/17 Spirit Cruise and was just reading until I saw this comment. I am in my 30's and enjoy life more then anyone I know but having a good time was not the case on this cruise. This was not a matter of live and let live and just let things roll off your shoulders. You were not there so I will forgive you not knowing what you are talking about. When someone's good time infringes on someone else there the problem lies. How would you feel if I came to your home and banged on your door at 4am, would you just say “oh well that is life” of course not you would probably be on the phone to the police and forget about letting someone just have some fun. The situation on the ship involved a large number of people not a small out of control few. There was screaming yelling and fighting in the hallways of the cabins, is that what you mean by life throwing you a curve ball? Maybe people do go on cruises to party and others go to relax but if I am not stopping you from having a good time why should you be able to stop me from relaxing. That is what live and let live means. What you are talking about is I will do what I want and who cares who it effects which is typical of someone that is immature and not yet old enough to think beyond satisfying their own needs.

Of course you agree you were not on the cruise if you were you would not be feel that way I am sure. If someone takes money to provide a service and there is a problem with that service are they not responsible? Are you saying they can book whomever they like and whatever happens happens. If it was a parolee reunion and you got attacked would you not blame NCl for putting you at risk. That is an extreme example but since when is the provider of a service not responsible for what happens during the delivery of that service. They billed it as a spring break cruise to the colleges how harrd would it have been to relay that information to others booking the cruise? It got through loud and clear at FU. If the way they booked the cruise caused a problem and it did then they have to answer for it an they will, actually they already are.

Hi, cruisingfromMN.

I sent a letter (via E-Mail) to the the president of the university. Also, by E-Mail, I copied two of the vice-presidents.

I gave them directions to this thread and urged them to read the various accounts of the passengers.

I shared with the president my heartbreak over the students' behavior. I requested to know if it was true that the university was involved in the travel arrangements. I asked what efforts to screen the students were made (if any).

Those who have been following this thread already know the other things I put in the letter. Will let you know the response.

Sandpebbles

P.S. I really hope the university leadership reads the postings here. So many passengers have taken time to describe their experiences. Students have been invited to describe theirs. So far, we have heard from two University of Florida students.

Hi, cruisingfromMN.

I sent a letter (via E-Mail) to the the president of the university. Also, by E-Mail, I copied two of the vice-presidents.

I gave them directions to this thread and urged them to read the various accounts of the passengers.

I shared with the president my heartbreak over the students' behavior. I requested to know if it was true that the university was involved in the travel arrangements. I asked what efforts to screen the students were made (if any).

Those who have been following this thread already know the other things I put in the letter. Will let you know the response.

Sandpebbles

P.S. I really hope the university leadership reads the postings here. So many passengers have taken time to describe their experiences. Students have been invited to describe theirs. So far, we have heard from two University of Florida students.

Good for you for following through! I would love to see the parents read this thread and hear what their thoughts are. Better yet, I wonder how they would feel if their vacation was impacted as ours was. Just posted day three of my review and feeling really melancoly (sp) as it has been snowing all day here and winter is showing no sign of letting up. Have a good weekend.

First I am glad so many of you were still able to have a good vacation. We all work hard and our limited time off is even more valuable. It is a shame that the inconsideration of other prevented you from having a great vacation.

Carnival has always had the label of the party line . That I believe is in part to the fact they always had so many 3 and 4 day cruises. The longer the crusie the higher the average age. NCL exited this market years ago.

Many have posted their concern that NCL will not be offering a 9 day cruise out of FL with the Spirit moving to NYC. The Jewel will be in FL doing 7 day East and West. Buy having no 9 day they don't have to deal with the 5 day.

If it was working the could have had the Jewel do the same itineraries. I have to think that this type of problem along with others is why they decided not to continue this experiment. NCL has always tried new things. Some worked and are still in place (Freestyle) other were a total failure. Perhaps the 5 day and the passenger mix it creates is one of those failures.

Just My $.02

If anyone is interested in finding out information about the relationship between NCL and the University of Florida, you might want to read the following article published in The Gainesville Sun on February 24, 2005:

UF's Spring Breakers Voyage Off Beaten Paths

I found the news report through Google. The marketing of the Spirit cruise to U of F students is covered.

Just passing this on to those who want some answers.

not exactly what I'd hope NCL wants to be known for...

From the above mentioned article...

"Also, unlike other cruise lines that require that passengers be at least 21 years old to travel without parental supervision, the Norwegian Cruise Line allows 18-year-old passengers as long as one person in a cabin is 21, which is ideal for college students, Morrissey said."

I was 21 myself once:rolleyes: not that long ago actually, but I can't imagine that we (my friends and I) were ever so self absorbed as to be so conspicuously inconsiderate and unconscious of everyone's feelings surrounding us...

The root of all evil - $

Read the story - it shared my this sold out so fast. Guess home much each of those students paid to make you trip "uncomfortable" :eek:

students are paying $417 - "Because the trip is so cheap, word spread like wildfire," according to the TA who is quoted in the paper. Perhaps another letter to her thanking them for the quality of passenger they booked. Hope they made a lot of $

Find out about the range of cheap travel and discounted travel deals that *** Travel can provide for students and young people to destinations worldwide.

I guess being known as cheap travel is something else NCL does not want.

SUN Article

I forgot to mention.... the Captain of the Spirit was on our flight to Newark NJ from Miami. As I passed him dressed in civilian clothes (in first class), I had just enough time to confirm it was him. Guess he had enough of spring break and needed a well deserved break himself.

We were on that same "spring break" cruise on the Norwegian Spirit plus the nine day cruise following. The Captain who was on the Spirit for the five day cruise was a "fill-in" Captain. He left before the next cruise when the Spirit's normal Captain returned to the ship.

The "Boss" must have had advance warning of the "spring break" party.

I would just like to know what lesson NCL should learn? Are you suggesting that NCL turn away business? How are they supposed to know how passengers will act on their cruises...

What a horror:eek: I don`t know what I would have done in this situation, but, I know I wouldn`t have taken it with a grain of salt!

No one has the right ,paid or not, to do this. I would bet that they got a much better rate then the reg. paying pax. being a large group.

I really, really do hope NCL has learned a lesson here. It is a black eye on the product, as well as the school AND our youth. What garbage:mad:

Archived