Is cruising the eastern Mediterranean safe?

remydiva

We also have a Holy Land cruise booked in the Fall which also includes two stops in Egypt. We are really hoping everything settles down over there before then. If not, I hope the ship will decide to go to Istanbul! We have friends who have been there and LOVED it!

What are your dates for Israel -- will you be here for the High Holy Days?

We also have a Holy Land cruise booked in the Fall which also includes two stops in Egypt. We are really hoping everything settles down over there before then. If not, I hope the ship will decide to go to Istanbul! We have friends who have been there and LOVED it!

Our ship actually starts in Istanbul so I am not sure what they would add in our case.

I'm surprised you make it out of your front door every day - more risk of being mugged in the streets around Ballentyne Pier than having trouble in Turkey or Greece.:rolleyes:

This is so true. That area around Ballentyne is skid row, for sure.

And yes, I'll be in those countries in May and am eagerly looking forward to it.

Twiggers, not trying to stalk you or anything, but I posted on another thread that you are taking the Eastern Med cruise right after ours, and do you need any help or info on the ports? I've been to several of them already, and I have a great Ephesus tour lined up. Just thought I'd mention it again (last mention, too). :D

Peggy,

Not twiggers, but we're cruising next March on Navigator and one of our ports is Ephesus, I would be grateful of your tour details. Our other ports include Athens and Egypt (hopefully) so if you have any information on those, that would be great. Thanks.

Come on, was that really called for?

about as called for as this :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to be in that area...those folks are nuts over there! But, many have no fear and would go in a second....it's all up to your tolerance for risk!

some geography lessons needed, I believe ;)

I'm surprised you make it out of your front door every day - more risk of being mugged in the streets around Ballentyne Pier than having trouble in Turkey or Greece.:rolleyes:

Agreed! Ballentyne Pier is in a bad part of town but since I live there, I know that so avoid it (unless of course I'm getting on a cruise ship!) :)

To tiyana4:

OP - just be prepared to miss Greece if any demonstrations are going on. We missed Athens last November because of this. Even though we were rerouted to Crete, we still came face to face with protesters, not once but twice. It was something I would rather not have encountered.

However, I do agree with the poster that said Turks are very friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed out port stop there.

That would be my concern too...Athens will be a highlight and I would hate to miss it because of unrest (I know that the itinerary can be changed at a moment's notice but to go all that way and NOT see Athens would be sad)

To Jolimont from France:

Note also that in Greece and Turkey there are no reports of semi automatic weapons being fired on a crowd at a Safeway grocery store, to mention just one such unfortunate incident in "safe" America. Ok, ok, you're from Canada OP, that was uncalled for!

While I am from Canada, ironically I winter in Arizona, iin a city not far from the Safeway shooting. Rather than risk a discussion here on the 'right to bear arms', I won't say anything more. :o

I know I will enjoy Greece and Turkey...that is why I booked the trip in the first place! But again, I will try to emphasis the purpose of my OP which was if you could only have one trip this fall, would you be concerned about the unrest that has been in the news? :confused:

A straw poll here on this thread shows that most of you say no, you wouldn't be but that one should be prepared to perhaps run into protestors, demonstrators and some missed ports. That in itself may make me postpone this cruise until next year.

I appreciate the comments.

Excuse me?

Sorry, I didn't make it clear - I meant the comment by PCWalton was about as 'called for' as the post I quoted by cb at sea saying "I wouldn't want to be in that area...those folks are nuts over there!" - which is the post to which PCWalton was referring.

I found the PCWalton comment funny :D - I'm sure it wasn't aimed at the whole of VA, just a narrow-minded few ;)

To tiyana4:

OP - just be prepared to miss Greece if any demonstrations are going on. We missed Athens last November because of this. Even though we were rerouted to Crete, we still came face to face with protesters, not once but twice. It was something I would rather not have encountered. However, I do agree with the poster that said Turks are very friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed out port stop there.

That would be my concern too...Athens will be a highlight and I would hate to miss it because of unrest (I know that the itinerary can be changed at a moment's notice but to go all that way and NOT see Athens would be sad)

I know I will enjoy Greece and Turkey...that is why I booked the trip in the first place! But again, I will try to emphasis the purpose of my OP which was if you could only have one trip this fall, would you be concerned about the unrest that has been in the news? I appreciate the comments.

Outbreaks can occur anywhere at any time but knowing there is a possibility upfront, I would be a bit wary. If this were my trip of a lifetime, I would have serious reservations about cruising to (and actually making it to) a specific port.

I will admit that we were very disappointed that we could not dock at Piraeus. Athens held a huge bucket list of places we wanted to visit. We ARE glad they substituted another port though. I think it would have been much worse to have a sea day in its place. For pax that recently missed Egypt, I can only sympathize.

I understand the cruiseline's obligation to keep passengers safe. Itinerary changes are necessary due to unrest and strikes at times. This is the side of cruising we hope to never be faced with. This is coming from someone who was also in London during the riots over proposed tuition increases, and in Egypt during the recent elections.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear - I meant the comment by PCWalton was about as 'called for' as the post I quoted by cb at sea saying "I wouldn't want to be in that area...those folks are nuts over there!" - which is the post to which PCWalton was referring.

I found the PCWalton comment funny :D - I'm sure it wasn't aimed at the whole of VA, just a narrow-minded few ;)

Sorry, but there is certainly nothing funny about the events that occurred in that area....particularly to parents and family members of those who lost loved ones there. Pretty insensitive IMO.

I will admit that we were very disappointed that we could not dock at Piraeus. Athens held a huge bucket list of places we wanted to visit.

You hit the nail on the head...bucket list....we all got 'em and this one is on mine (as is Turkey). I appreciate your understanding my POV.

Sorry, but there is certainly nothing funny about the events that occurred in that area....particularly to parents and family members of those who lost loved ones there. Pretty insensitive IMO.

I'm clearly missing something here - I don't have a clue what you're talking about :confused:

• 3 months later...
Speaking of ports. In Rome - is it easy to get into town from the port? and what about Venice?

There is cheap bus service from the port in Venice to Pizzale Roma (midtown). Or you can take the people mover, interesting mode of travel, but a big walk from where you disembark.

Speaking of ports. In Rome - is it easy to get into town from the port? and what about Venice?

Rome is a fair distance from the port - it takes about 90 minutes by car. You could take the train, though. I suggest that you check out the Ports of Call threads for more specifics.:)

Relax, Tiyana. PC Walton was referring to the rather narrow-minded remark made by "cb at sea". She lives in FREDERICKBURG, VA. ....nothing to do with the school shooting in that area which is what I think you are referring to . He (PC Walton) was only trying to point out the rather crass nature of the "cb at sea" post. :)

Archived