Wearing Shorts to dinner?

CruzinWithMom

Boy...I really didn't expect the mixed opinions on the "Short" subject!!! My question wasn't intended to cause "civil unrest". We were just wondering...and by the way.. 4 of us "women" are the ones who are asking about the dress short thing. I'm sorry but I would much rather see someone dressed in "dress shorts-yes, they DO exist" than someone in a ratty pair of jeans!!! I will definitely bring a pair of "casual pants" to wear to dinner so we won't offend anyone's dining experience with our "Dress Shorts"...I really don't want to be turned away while "buddy next door" walks through wearing jeans!!!!! :eek::eek:

you think this was civil unrest?LOL;)

I always wear capris or comfy silky slacks to dinner...don't wear shorts anymore other than Disney world in late August.

usually pair the capris with a nice polo or casual summer shirt...I always bring a nice pair of dress capris and dressy/silky slacks and 2 or 3 tops to match.....always wear my nice dressy Birki black sandals...works with long slacks...as nobody is looking anyway:D..and works with capris as well......

I also cruise with a one very spacious rolling carryon...everything is in it and never have wished I brought more.....

I am planning on doing that for our 21 day Med trip next year as well...12 day cruise...8 day land.....don't care what I wear on the plane as long as I am comfortable..and I wear it both ways!!:D I roll..not fold..my clothes..it works

My husband has 3 pair of "dress shorts" that he wears when we go to some of the nicer restaurants on our annual trip to Aruba and actually other places here in the US. They are made of a very nice, soft fabric, the same as some of his dress pants. They have pleats and the only difference is the length. In my opinion, there is such a thing as dress shorts. Now.... their acceptability in certain restaurants is another matter. We adhere to rules and if shorts are not acceptable, then he wears the longer version. :)

NCL could really solve this obviously hot issue. Since to my understanding (and keeping in mind we are novice cruisers) that both MDRs serve the same food, why not make one casual (shorts permitted) and one (no shorts permitted). Therefore solving everyone’s issues. Then the maitre d’ would only have to say “you are more than welcome to enjoy your meal in MDR such and such”. ...

That is already the policy, that shorts are allowed in one dining room and not allowed in the other. However, the enforcement of the rule in the 'no shorts' dining room is up to the host/hostess and/or maitre d' and is not always enforced.

When you take out all of the "what if's" and why not's, the bottom line is, published policy is no shorts in some dining venues on all NCL ships. Why some try to press the issue and "bend" the rules is beyond me? Why some have to explain what their definition of resort casual is does not matter. NCL say's no shorts in some dining venues. Not to hard if you ask me.:eek:

Please excuse this newbie question: when it says no shorts for dinner, are non raggedy jeans ok? Or must the pants be dockers/cotton? If the latter, I need to go shopping this week as all I have is jeans and one pair of capris.

TIA,

Please excuse this newbie question: when it says no shorts for dinner, are non raggedy jeans ok? Or must the pants be dockers/cotton? If the latter, I need to go shopping this week as all I have is jeans and one pair of capris.

TIA,

Clean and not ripped, torn and frayed jeans and capris are fine in the MDR.

That is already the policy, that shorts are allowed in one dining room and not allowed in the other. However, the enforcement of the rule in the 'no shorts' dining room is up to the host/hostess and/or maitre d' and is not always enforced.

As I stated "NCL could solve this issue". I understand that possibly some cruises actually have a sign saying no shorts. I'm not sure since I never looked or seen one on my last cruise, probably because if I seen it, it didn't apply to me I was dressed in pants. And certainly CC has made it very known that this is certainly taboo, however, again I will state that NCL could solve this.

From NCL FAQs: "Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the Aft Main Dining Room (our more formal Dining Room) and in Le Bistro, on cruises that are more than five days long. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in any of our main dining rooms or specialty restaurants"

As you can see it says "includes", then gives the no no's but doesn't give shorts in the no no's. Thats what I was referring to.

I always think it's about the intent --- I like to see people in the DRs who look like they cleaned up for dinner and took some care with their appearance. Beyond that, I am not concerned. People in dress shorts that are neat and clean with a nice short or top can look very nice -- but I wonder how many people see that shorts are OK and then just wear what they have had on all day. Our last 2 NCL cruises were in the Med and we didn't see too many shorts at dinner, but we did see a number of diners looking pretty sloppy with sweatpants, rumpled t shirts, etc. at dinner..

I wouldn't care if the people next to me in the dining rooms/restaurants were dressed in swimsuits and chukka boots if they treated the crew decently. What a bummer to see the way some people grunt at the servers, fail to make eye contact, demand rather than ask nicely for things, and never say please or thank you. You can be dressed to the nines and still be a boor.

I worried excessively about having the "right" clothes before our first NCL cruise and found out I worried for nothing. The dress expectations are clearly noted in the Dailies for each venue and also posted outside each one. We brought a few pairs of long pants and threw them on for dinner if we wanted to dine in the restaurants that required pants and if we didn't, we found something else.

Yes, it's really that easy! :D

I still find it just funny as hell that so many people will peoplewatch to the extent that it interferes with their vacation dining pleasure. Once everyone is seated (hats excluded. more on that momentarily) we will all look pretty much the same. I guarantee you when I dress in quality shirt, shorts, socks and shoes that I will look better than 90% of the men in the room regardless of what they are wearing. Now, back to the hats. If you were to poll the 5% of the women wearing the most hideous hats, (certainly more distracting than me wearing shorts) they would be the most vocal that my shorts wearing vulgarity was detracting from their dining experience.

Long story short, I believe that we are taking a warm Caribbean vacation on a freestyle line that offers at the most, a formal night "dress up or not", so the dress snobs should take their money elsewhere.

I still find it just funny as hell that so many people will peoplewatch to the extent that it interferes with their vacation dining pleasure. Once everyone is seated (hats excluded. more on that momentarily) we will all look pretty much the same. I guarantee you when I dress in quality shirt, shorts, socks and shoes that I will look better than 90% of the men in the room regardless of what they are wearing. Now, back to the hats. If you were to poll the 5% of the women wearing the most hideous hats, (certainly more distracting than me wearing shorts) they would be the most vocal that my shorts wearing vulgarity was detracting from their dining experience.

Long story short, I believe that we are taking a warm Caribbean vacation on a freestyle line that offers at the most, a formal night "dress up or not", so the dress snobs should take their money elsewhere.

And this sums up the issue in a nutshell. "Freestyle" never has meant "no dress code", but unfortunately a certain number of NCL cruisers have decided that's what it means. I guess that comes with the territory when your entry level pricing is competitive with a Greyhound bus. :rolleyes:

Why is it so hard to take a pair of decent jeans or khakis with you and wear it to dinner if you're eating in a restaurant that doesn't allow shorts?

And this sums up the issue in a nutshell. "Freestyle" never has meant "no dress code", but unfortunately a certain number of NCL cruisers have decided that's what it means. I guess that comes with the territory when your entry level pricing is competitive with a Greyhound bus. :rolleyes:

Why is it so hard to take a pair of decent jeans or khakis with you and wear it to dinner if you're eating in a restaurant that doesn't allow shorts?

That's exactly how we did it...and that's what I LOVE about NCL! :) If you don't want to wear pants, there's usually another dining room that allows shorts and you aren't automatically relegated to the buffet.

Actually on our NCL Dawn repo cruise last fall to the Southern Caribbean, I noticed some cruisers in shorts in all dining venues.Granted those who wore shorts had on a decent pair with a collered shirt. If I were to hazard a guess, those with shorts probably looked better than me with my jeans/t-shirt and sandals.

Then again I don't really care what others have on and I care even less what cruisers thought of me with my jeans in the dining rooms.

All most people are looking for is a dress code that will be enforced all the time, fleet wide...No interpretation needed.....If a certain restaurant's code is no jeans, that means no jeans...same with shorts..no shorts means no shorts...Its pretty simple...There will always be someplace to eat....

I find myself thinking that one thing I like about a cruise is that it makes me feel special ... someone makes up the room, someone unfolds the napkin for my wife,etc., things that a poor working class slob like me never experiences in real life. The dining room experience for me is like that ... when somebody walks in with "undressy" clothes or a baseball cap on it's no different than being at a Denny's anywhere. I don't even own a suit, but I still dress "up", with a shirt and tie.

All most people are looking for is a dress code that will be enforced all the time, fleet wide...No interpretation needed.....If a certain restaurant's code is no jeans, that means no jeans...same with shorts..no shorts means no shorts...Its pretty simple...There will always be someplace to eat....

Agreed.....I said before that all cruise lines (not just NCL) need to clearly state the rules and enforce them without prejudice. Seems like a really simple concept to me, but it turns out that the lines are afraid of their own customers. What a way to conduct business....always scared that you may offend someone. No wonder the crew is stressed out all the time. Who wants to work under those restrictions walking around on eggshells with your hands tied when a situation arises involving chair hogs, dress codes, diapered toddlers in pools etc.?

Cruise lines are quick to point to the cruise contract when it suits them and follow it to the letter. Are the rules about dress codes etc. not worthy of the same consideration?

You (the cruise lines) made these rules. If you are not going to enforce them, then abolish them. You are confusing the customers with your inaction regarding this situation.

I find it fun that folk's care so much about other's attire and no one talk's about that gal that put's on Jean Nate with a fire hose. I can't enjoy my meal when I'm overwhelmed with her toilet water!!!

She is usually sitting with that guy telling bad joke's at 97 decibels.

Why is there always one couple like this on every cruise I'm on and why do I keep running into them throughout my vacation???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There eyes might not like my jean's but my nose and ears do not want to be near them yet they seem to be everyplace !!!

I find it fun that folk's care so much about other's attire and no one talk's about that gal that put's on Jean Nate with a fire hose. I can't enjoy my meal when I'm overwhelmed with her toilet water!!!

She is usually sitting with that guy telling bad joke's at 97 decibels.

Why is there always one couple like this on every cruise I'm on and why do I keep running into them throughout my vacation???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There eyes might not like my jean's but my nose and ears do not want to be near them yet they seem to be everyplace !!!

LOL. We had one of those. Every time I saw (or smelled) one particular woman she had on short, cheap dresses (trying to look "sexy" I assume) with poorly done makeup and hideously dyed black hair. She might as well have had a blinking sign that said TRASH above her head. The male half of the couple really thought everyone was checking out his woman as well...

They liked to arrive at the theater just a few minutes before showtime to make a grand entrance.

This is just my opinion:

I do not feel that shorts should be permitted in the dining rooms. I feel that there are enough other venues that one can eat at including room service should they opt not to put on pants.

It just seems that the rules keep getting relaxed. Part of cruising is that elegance, etc.

I realize that NCL is freestyle and that is why I like it -- I can dress if I want and usually do, but my daughter does not have to wear a dress at all if she chooses which she does.

Why not just wear pants to dinner and change after dinner if your legs really need the air !

Sorry If I offended anyone -- that was not my intention .

Archived