Underwater Cameras

bob123

While some Point & Shoots are inherently waterproof, they are not rated very deep. If you are going to do any significant underwater shooting, get something like a housing to put your camera in.

Also there is a big color shift into the blue/green range, so some housings have a red filter you can put on the lens to return to more natural colors.

But if you know what you are doing, you can color correct in some cameras, as well as post processing software (but that is pretty hard to do with video).

A company called Fanta-Sea makes some inexpensive housings, as well as some camera manufacturers.

We just purchased a Sony Cyber Shot to replace our underwater Olympus. I thought the Olympus was great until I saw the pix from the Sony. They blew the other camera away. We have decided to take that as our only camera. (small & super efficient) They were close in price also.

Bella

When we snorkelled the Great Barrier Reef we found a shop that rented cameras. We paid around $40 for the day which included download to CD. The camera was a Cannon 400D compleste with a completely waterproof housing. The photos were excellent.

Peter & Carol

I've been looking into these and found a review a while ago that compared five different brands and the Panasonic DMC-TS2 came out on top. Now the TS2 is being replaced by the TS3 and it should be out by the end of this month.

I'll see if I can find that review site.

I just bought the Fuji XP 10 today. The reviews are sort of a crap shoot. If it stays waterproof, it takes really good pics (based on the ones people posted online). I grabbed it from Costco for 100 bucks. If he craps out I can just return it. Hell even if I don't love it I can return it with their really good return policy. My nikon will be with us when we are not planning on swimming.

I've been looking into these and found a review a while ago that compared five different brands and the Panasonic DMC-TS2 came out on top. Now the TS2 is being replaced by the TS3 and it should be out by the end of this month.

It is curious that the TS2 is 14.1 MP while the TS3 is 12. The TS3 seems to have more enhancements though, plus it costs about $100 more at this point.

bob123

Can anyone recommend a good underwater camera, preferably one that will take videos as well as stills?

Thanks

Bob123

You also may want to jump over to www.scubaboard.com and ask there. Its a very active diver board.

I have a Fuji WP but it is only good to 10 ft went on ebay and bought a Olympus Stylus Tough which was good to 33 ft and got great pictures from both. The one thing you must do is soak it in fresh water for 1/2 hr when you get back to the ship to get rid of the salt out of the camera.

I just bought the Fuji XP 10 today. The reviews are sort of a crap shoot. If it stays waterproof, it takes really good pics (based on the ones people posted online). I grabbed it from Costco for 100 bucks. If he craps out I can just return it. Hell even if I don't love it I can return it with their really good return policy. My nikon will be with us when we are not planning on swimming.

I got one of these last year - it's not bad. A lot of the pics in my Dream review were taken with that camera (link in my sig, just realized I never finished that review!!! Guess life got in the way).

I can see why they are replacing the TS2. I bought one for our cruise this summer and halfway into the snorkeling adventures in 4 feet of water it leaked. First time in water, first use off the ship.

I love Panasonic cameras for the point-and-shoot variety, as the Leica optics are fantastic.

I'm a Canon guy for DSLR, I have a 7d and 50d and both are fantastic.

Here is the real catch; Fry's didn't want to take the camera back because it had water damage. No kidding...

I put up such a gripe I got a refund on the spot on the way home from the cruise.

JMHO.

I got a Sony TX-5 for our cruise on Serenade and LOVE it.

Not only underwater capability (including an underwater setting that helps to correct for the color balance issues), but video, a touch screen, and a couple cool features - a sweep panorama (hold the shutter button, "sweep" the view, and release) and a low-light no-flash setting that is great.

Lots of the photos in my review linked in my signature were with the Sony. I have a Nikon DSLR, but after seeing how well the Sony did, I will be tempted to live the big one at home at times!

Good luck deciding!

I got a Sony TX-5 for our cruise on Serenade and LOVE it.

Not only underwater capability (including an underwater setting that helps to correct for the color balance issues), but video, a touch screen, and a couple cool features - a sweep panorama (hold the shutter button, "sweep" the view, and release) and a low-light no-flash setting that is great.

Lots of the photos in my review linked in my signature were with the Sony. I have a Nikon DSLR, but after seeing how well the Sony did, I will be tempted to live the big one at home at times!

Good luck deciding!

I looked at your Serenade pictures and they are all great. The panoramas really came out well, and I like the low light shots as well.

bob123

I have the Canon D10, which I purchased to replace my Olympus (one they don't make anymore, even though it was a year old). The photos from the Canon are far superior to those the Olympus took- I am so happy with this Camera! The PP who stated that you need to soak it in freshwater after using it in saltwater gave great advice- I lost two Olympus cameras because they leaked (I didn't realize you needed to rinse or whatever in fresh water). I would also recommend the extended warranty that is offered by Squaretrade. And the floating wristband- makes the camera float in the ocean just in case you accidentally drop it while you're out there! :)

And the floating wristband- makes the camera float in the ocean just in case you accidentally drop it while you're out there! :)

Great suggestion. Where can you buy the floating wristband? A dive shop?

bob123

look into the GoPro Hero HD - still pics & 6 resolutions of video including full 1080p HD & 720p HD @ 60 frames/ second. Good to 200'. Lots of reviews & side by sides out there - around $260 - $300.

Archived