All things EARTH...

Even though we are past pumpkin and hayride season, it was 76 degrees today and I'm wearing a t-shirt! I hope you enjoy your hayride. I haven't been on one in years because DH seems to be allergic to everything autumn, including the horses.

I will root for anyone against USC, so Go Wildcats :)

It is currently 46 and raining. It feels colder than that. Yesterday I didn't need a coat!

I loved your comment about UNC, Margaret. I'm a sports fan so there are teams I love and teams I don't love at all.

One time when color theory goes out the window is with sports attire. At least Syracuse 's color is orange so it is warm.

Ok, we leave Tuesday & tonight I fell up my stairs (foot gave out) & sprawled out across hardwood floors (boy, they don't give any!). I'm lucky I didn't break both wrists. I already have some delightful bruising on both forearms & both knees. I may have to adjust sone of my outfits to disguise them [emoji30]. I'm in a recliner almost encased in ice, hope it works! Sigh. Melody

I had this big post typed and lost it. I hate it when I do that...

Melody, I hope you are okay! Icing it is a good idea. Then tomorrow moving around will be good so that you don't stiffen up? You are right, hardwoods don't give at all. I have them myself.

Are you all packed? It's funny, because I stopped in Dress Barn today and there was a sales clerk there wearing a dress that Barbara had asked me about once. I had told her they didn't have it in the store, so I couldn't tell her what it was like. I wonder if she ordered it online for her cruise? It was a leather look dress in a fit and flare style in a mahogany color.

I was in Dress Barn to return that dress I posted a link to last week. It's a beautiful dress, and I think it is very flattering. However, I couldn't decide what size to order and it ended up being tight. The funny thing is, I was going to order two of them in different sizes and didn't. There was free shipping, and I drive right by the store every day, going to and from work. It would have been a smart thing to do. Now I have to re-order, and they have 25% off instead of 30%, plus no free shipping. I'm debating if I want to wait or not. I can ship it to the store for free. It's a $3.00 difference. I'm being a cheapo, lol.

I'm trying to be selective while re-building my wardrobe. Needing to shop is a good problem to have, but I'm also trying to make good choices. I think it was Anita who was mentioned different clothing needs for different people....I work in an office that requires conservative business clothing, then I have gym clothing, weekend/evening clothes, then things that I would wear for dinner on a cruise or parties or events. Add that to four distinct seasons with different clothing needs for that...well, it's a lot.

I think that was evidenced by the mud room closet...all those different coats that were hanging up! That wasn't all of them either.

I think I may be a little closer to a winter cruise...I've got to check on airfare pricing and hotels first. We only have two ports we can drive to (Baltimore and Bayonne) and that isn't a great idea in the winter, necessarily. So I'm looking at cruising out of Florida. That will be the cheapest place we can fly to. We'll see!

Ice will help, but darn it's cold! Aleve will help too. My suitcase is all packed (I lined the case with giant trash bags in case of rain). I'll leave it as is, but I might add a couple of long sleeved shirts to my carryon, I'm already bruised from wrist to above the elbow & knee down to shins. I have a pt appt tomorrow, she'll massage some of the aches out too. Timing really stinks for a fall tho [emoji19]. Melody

Oh, no, Melody! I hope you're going to be ok. Sometimes injuries don't make themselves known for a day or two, so keep us posted on how you're doing tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed for you.

DH broke two fingers just four days before we left for Vietnam. He was worried we would have to cancel, but ultimately it didn't slow him down too much; the only thing he missed was a snorkel trip because he wasn't sure about pulling himself in and out of the boat. Fortunately it was a cruise so he didn't have to haul his luggage around, except to the taxi when we left the house. I ended up getting stung by a jellyfish on my face so I had a big white welt on my cheek for half the trip. The two of us looked ridiculous, but we had an amazing time!

Laurie, one of the things that always stops me from cruising out of NY, especially in winter, is that the first and last two days at sea are pretty chilly. If you stop in Bermuda, while a lovely place it can be a bit cold for beach time in winter. I would much prefer to fly to Florida and cruise in the warmer climate there.

Margaret, I agree. I'm really not keen on wearing a winter cost on board and slowly shedding the layers.

I have contemplated just a trip to Florida as well but not only is cruising filled with activities and places to see without much work, but it s cheaper too.

Oh my, you were stung by a jellyfish in the face? Ouch!

Melody, please keep us posted.

Thanks ladies, I'm sure I'll be fine. I'll check in tomorrow after my already scheduled dr visit in the morning. I'll already be wearing the ortho boot to fly & if foot gives out again I'll just continue to wear the boot [emoji22]. Wish I'd had time to bling it out some [emoji6].

I'll be wearing a parka on the plane to TX cause it'll be snowing in Denver on Weds [emoji19]. Melody

The jellyfish sting just reminded me to put meat tenderizer in my first aid kit (helps with jelly stings)

Edited by awhfy

Melody , So sorry to hear about your fall. Hopefully the ice will take care of a lot of the swelling . Also keep your legs elevated as much as possible . maybe throw in an ace bandage just in case and drink a lot for the pain . Hopefully you will still have a great time !

I was once told by my chiro to apply ice for 15 and off for 30, heat for 15 and off for 30, repeating for as long as necessary, but always ending with ice for 15. The exchange of blood flow to the area helped healing after ice only for the first 24.

Pam talked one time about the healing properties of fresh pineapple after her DH fell. I think he felt like he WAS a pineapple after she pushed him to eat enormous quantities, but swore he healed quicker.

Whatever you do, Melody, please take care of yourself and have a great time. --Debbie

Just back from pt & dr. Well I've managed to hairline fracture the ankle (on my bad foot [emoji22]). So now instead of just wearing the ortho boot on the plane I have to wear the darn thing if I get any swelling. I'm going to wear my compression socks for flying too (wont hurt). I may also have hairline fractures of both shins (I guess that's really hard to do) & deep bone bruises on both forearms. Sigh. I'm still going to have fun & I'll still paddleboard (I hope!!!). I just won't look as good doing it! I may drink a bit more than I planned too! [emoji12]. Melody

I have a little down time, since I am off today. I was tempted to go to work anyway to catch up on things, but I am having the carpets cleaned and we are getting an estimate this afternoon. It didn't make sense to go in, rush around for a short time and come home, you know?

We only have one room with carpeting, but we are getting a large area rug cleaned as well.

I did a little research last night on the V shaped, or inverted triangle, body. I think sometimes we know things, but don't really think about it. I learned a lot, and then I re-learned a lot, if you know what I mean!

First, it is important that you measure yourself and look carefully at pictures of yourself in different outfits. Your bust size is one thing, but your shoulders are important as well. I realized that I truly am a V shape. I have broad shoulders. I would always look at a picture, and just see myself as big and leave it at that.

I once lost a lot of weight quickly (It was not done in a healthy manner - that is behind me now) and it was as if someone took a pin to the girls and deflated them. I haven't been that small in my whole life. But the way that I lost weight required my body to burn fat wherever it could find it. What is interesting about mentioned this is that I was still two sizes bigger on top than I was on the bottom. I kept thinking that I had a big rib cage, which I do. But that rib cage is part of a skeleton, and those button down shirts weren't giving in the shoulders either.

Anyway, I wanted to mention all that because I think it is important to make sure you go through the motions of determining your body shape properly. You will need to make adjustments based on long or short torso, and whether you are short or tall overall. The adjustments are just like making adjustments for true autumn versus soft autumn. There is better, and there is best, that sort of thing.

For me, it is ideal to put prints on the bottom rather than the top. Lighter colors on the bottom, darker colors on top. My aim is to bring the lower part of my body forward, and have the top recede.

Avoid shoulder pads, or shirts that add fabric at the shoulder area. Straps should be wide, not skinny or spaghetti straps. Avoid strapless always. One shoulder looks are good, but make sure that shoulder strap is wide. Cut outs may work also. Break up the fabric at the top of your body, so sometimes even a necklace can do the trick. I like that idea, lol.

A fit and flare dress will work nicely, as long as it is continuous - belts around the waist don't work well because I'm a bit short in the torso. Avoid those shift dresses or dresses with no definition or shape at all. My new maxi works well because it is a fit and flare. It fits loosely, but it follows those lines.

A sheath dress doesn't always work for me, although I like them and buy them and wear them. A midi length would work better on me, because it will create the illusion of length.

I'm not fond of peplums, but they talk about them being good. I will have to try it. I think it depends, because of the short torso issue.

Skinny jeans aren't my best friend. If worn, wear strong shoes or boots with them. Wide leg or bootcut jeans and pants are best.

No princess waists. I look pregnant. My husband said that if I'm expecting, it better mean we are getting another dog, lol.

Anyway, I'm rambling. But I found a lot of good info. I always ask myself if it makes sense when I'm reading it...there are plenty of things out there on the internet that are just an attempt to appeal to the masses, and aren't really good advice.

I plan to re-order that Dress Barn dress in the proper size. I will take photos. I probably should have done that with the dress that was too tight because I could zip it an all. It would have given us an idea if some of what I've posted above is correct.

You can all let me know what you think about the color too. It seems a bit cooler in real life than the online. But I still think it may be a really good dress.