All things EARTH...

Margaret...I hope you're feeling better soon. I have to go next week and get my flu shot.

Thanks to all of you for your support re the party. At one point my SIL and I just hugged each other because we were so happy at how much fun mom and dad were having. When he first walked in, my dad spotted his brother first, and he kept saying "It's my brother, my brother!" He was so happy to see him. My mother actually started crying she was so overwhelmed with joy to see everyone. We're talking family that they haven't seen in years and years. It was just awesome! I'm so thrilled at how great everything turned out. We even made our own anniversary cake and decorated it ourselves. Everyone thought it was beautiful. The SIL and I were ecstatic at how my parents reacted.

As to wearing workout clothes outside of the gym...here in So Cal lots of women wear athletic clothing everywhere...to the mall, casual restaurants, the grocery store, bakery, etc., etc. I personally never leave the gym with my workout clothes on unless I'm going straight home. I always shower before I leave the gym.

I was thinking of wearing athletic wear on our upcoming Christmas cruise but have decided against it. I just love fashion too much and have so many new things I want to wear. I certainly don't have a problem with anyone wearing their athletic wear outside the gym. As a matter of fact I liked the look that Anita rocked on her recent cruise. She looked so comfortable. I'm not saying I would never do it because I have once or twice. It's just that I love other looks on me better.

I love Kate Hudson's new line of athletic wear...Fabletics. Now those are some really cute athletic clothes that I'd consider wearing out on trips to the drugstore, grocery shopping, to the movies, mall, and to casual eateries. They are adorable. The only thing is...and I haven't checked so I'm not sure, but I doubt they would carry my "big butt" size...LOL! Come to think of it I did once wear an athletic look on a flight to FL. It was a matching zip-front jacket with a pair of matching ankle length pants. I guess you'd call it a jogging outfit. My brothers and cousins were merciless in their teasing me about how I was wearing "flood pants" as the pant legs were belled at the bottom and hit just above the ankle. That outfit is still hanging in my mom's closet in FL. I've never worn it since! LOL!

Well, I'm on a high from my FL trip and have started hanging new things off the door to the guest room closet for the upcoming Christmas cruise. I'll be trying stuff on and putting outfits together towards the end of November. I'll be busy for the end of Oct. My friends, the DH and I are going to have lunch and tour the Queen Mary tomorrow. Then the DH's b-day is on the 28th and I'll be taking him to a really nice Italian restaurant for dinner. Next it's Halloween! After that my b-day is in Nov. and a couple of days later I'll be cooking Thanksgiving dinner and the DS will be home! Yea!

I bought quite a few new things in FL where I hit the mother-lode at the local Goodwill store. I got a great deal on a small, brown leather,"SAC"-brand backpack, a 100% Cashmere, over-sized, v-neck sweater (it's a man's large and I'll wear it over leggings and knee-high boots), and a brand new (tags still on it) 100% Alpaca wool cardigan. I'm stoked about my new treasures. I also picked up a really cool, baby pink, Jessica Simpson, faux-eather tote which I think is awesome! None of these things are for the cruise though. Just fun to have for the winter. I have been looking for something baby pink to wear and just recently found a pair of skinny-legged, baby pink jeans at Costco for $12.99. They fit great! So lucky!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Edited by mousey

Our DGDs marching band won 2nd place in the big school marching band high school state championship for Colorado last night! Very proud of her, she had a sax solo! First time that school had scored in the top 10! Melody

I looked for those Michael Kors foulard pants, and they are actual pajamas from his collection. :)

I really love the fabrics in the Burberry Prorsum 2015 Fall/Winter collection. You can see more of them here:

http://www.fashionisers.com/fashion-news/burberry-prorsum-fall-winter-2015-2016-collection/

Dresses are still to come.

We've had an eventful week. I'm finally coming out of my flu coma, and we had a meeting with DH's orthopedic surgeon. He's scheduled for hip replacement on Dec. 4th. I will be having my first Christmas ever in New York.

Congratulations, Melody! That is wonderful.

We got back earlier today from out overnight trip to Rochester. We had a wonderful time! I ended up buying some things for the girls and just some jeans for myself. The trip was more about spending time together and that is what we did. It was a lot of fun!

I've been having some hip issues off and on so I'm

Going to give in and see my doctor. I've been avoiding it, as there seems to be a family history of hip issues. My brother who is two years older than me had both of his replaced about 4 years ago, and my older sister is getting hers replaced in a few months. Maybe by getting mine checked now they may be able to test it? I don't know...I'm not sure if it is treatable or not.

I've been trying to think about how I got started wearing exercise clothes everywhere. It's a relatively new thing...sort of...starting when we moved to Houston from DFW area. That would be 2006... Wow. So, almost 10 years. OMG.

For me, it began because we had moved again...and into a different climate...and if I was going to buy clothes...I would buy exercise related clothes until I could fit into a size that I was happier about for buying more street clothes. And that concept hasn't stopped. I wonder if that influences other people too?

I really started to wear exercise clothes everywhere though when I became a Zumba instructor...and I would wear my Zumba-wear everywhere, in the hopes of starting conversations and even encouraging people to come try my class.

I don't wear legging style pants. EVER. I don't own a pair. But I'm considering getting a pair of normal fleece lined leggings for this cooler weather season... I wear more yoga style...with straight legs. There is something about the cut...I think my rear end looks quite attractive! LOL.

Continuing to work at Curves, etc., it just made sense that I would wear my work uniform everywhere again (exercise clothing)...and I would often have conversations with people about Curves and/or Zumba. And I think that is why I am now wanting to get away from that a bit...and figure out some street clothes outfits...because I don't have those jobs any longer.

And I associate that clothing with those thoughts...and so I feel the need to move on.

It's really no different than anyone else that doesn't want to dress the way they dressed for work when they no longer work.

With that...my green ankle boots came today. It's a big step for me. They have a heel...and I haven't worn heels yet since my accident (I call it.) FYI...there is an amazing footbed in those boots. Like the other reviewers, I am impressed at the comfort for such cheap shoes.

I am a creature of habit though...especially with clothing...tending to wear the same thing over and over...and so I need to spend some time with my cool weather clothes and figure out some outfits in advance. I've never considered myself very good at that...it's always been an major effort for me...and honestly, something I have to be in the mood for? I'm not naturally drawn to playing with clothes, I guess. I think that stems from body issues...and never feeling very attractive in clothes to begin with...

DH travels next week so it feels like I'll have more time to play with something like that. If I don't figure out outfits with my new boots, I won't end up wearing them.

Margaret...my fave coat outfit is the Michael Kors. I think I like the mix of textures in a relatively tight color palette.

Oh...just saw that last post. I'm glad to read you are recovering from the flu and very hopeful that your DH's hip surgery goes well, no complications and a fast recovery. When I was going in for PT, there were a few in there at the same time recovering from hip surgery. The biggest thing that I saw was the effect of having not dealt with it in a timely manner...if there were compensation patterns in gait, etc., that contributed to poor biomechanics and thus extra issues in addition to just the hip recovery.

I don't know if icing would be a part of the regular protocol for recovery, these are the best:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EAPNCQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I would highly recommend getting one.

Margaret, I missed your last few posts. Maybe I was posting at the same time? But it seems so strange that I was mentioning my hip while you were discussing your husband's hip surgery.

I'm not overly close to my brother...we keep in touch here and there but I don't see him

A lot. He seemed to recoup fairly well after his surgeries. They scheduled both within the same year and he did very well. He kind of shuffled a bit at first but he was walking normally quite quickly. My sister is having the first surgery in January.

I too like the Michael Kors look in the coats you posted. There are a lot of fabrics that I am seeing in your posts with great colors and textures.

My hips seem to be fine, but I continue to have foot issues. I'm going to pt twice a week

& I'm hoping it'll help. Even the pt thinks I might need to get it fused [emoji30]. Working like the dickens to prevent that!

The Michael Kors is also my favorite. Melody

Because I love red, I adore the Versace coat.

Melody - congrats to your DGD on the band win. That's exciting!

Margaret, glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope your DH recovers quickly from his hip surgery. My brother in law had his hip replaced a couple of years ago and seemed to recover very quickly. So I will keep my fingers crossed you you both.

Mousey - I am so happy your surprise went well. What a wonderful gift for your parents.

Anita - I understand about not liking your body and vowing not to buy anything until you hit X weight. I did that and was miserable. I knew I looked bad and now even my clothes looked bad. It became a bit of a vicious circle to get out of. Now, I don't like my weight but I dress it in clothes that make me happy. If exercise clothes aren't making you happy anymore it's time for a change

For me, it's 2 more days of work and then a whirlwind of trying to get everything done, plus my best friend is in Tucson for a conference at the end of the week so I am driving down to spend wednesday with her. The timing isn't great because I have so much to do, but she is living in Mexico on sabbatical for a year so it's likely the only time I will get to see her. So... visit, hair cut, packing, maybe nails, dog boarding, house cleaning... ack.

I need this cruise. Lol

OMG. Just watched that video Margaret!! Tears...I can't see. OMG.

:D

It was our mantra for the weekend: going to the Post Office in my active wear, petting the kitty in my active wear....

Barbara, have a wonderful vacation!

Let's Go Mets!

Just a share...

The Columbia boots that I purchased...I've been wearing them now for several days. My cold isn't THAT cold. Yet. But we've been dealing with a high of 55 today and a huge wind chill into the 40s...and these boots ROCK. It's been raining too...and again, these boots make HAPPY feet.

So. For casual warm boots. I think of them as the sneaker equivalent of boots.

Also...I'm running with TVF post from today. With all the vests? Will share what I figure out!

Agreed...go Mets!

We are supposed to be getting some pretty strong winds over the next few days. Hopefully we won't be getting the worst of it.

I'm glad you are liking your boots, Anita. I really feel like I need a pair of casual basics to wear. Maybe this weekend I will look. We had a great shopping trip last weekend but I didn't get to doing any boot shopping.

Remember the week before when I was supposed to go on the wine tour? Well that was cancelled. Ironically enough, one of the wineries we were supposed to go to has a tasting room at the mall we were at this past weekend. It was soooomuch fun!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

:D

It was our mantra for the weekend: going to the Post Office in my active wear, petting the kitty in my active wear....

Barbara, have a wonderful vacation!

Let's Go Mets!

That video whipped me into shape . I have to fess up that I was pushing the bar on my active wear but never to the mall or a restaurant or the movies but once I went furniture shopping . In my defense the store was in the same strip mall as my gym . They totally ignored me .

I do think active/casual wear is also dependent on the part of the country you live in. East Coast has always been more formal, West Coast more laid back & those of us here in the West are pretty relaxed. When I worked I dressed very formally (more formally than my coworkers), of course I'm from Boston... When I fly I tend to dress for business (I hark back to the days when I worked for Pan Am (if you were personal flying you'd better be in a suit!); however, I still get upgraded more frequently than someone in jeans.

Activewear (& I include jeans in this), sweatshirt hoodies boots or sneakers are what's commonly seen here in CO, part of the lifestyle. I guess I dress for what & where I'm going. Melody

Edited by awhfy

I don't know if I can wait until June to go on a cruise!!!!!

Time will tell. My husband has been out of town for most of two weeks, which he doesn't do very often. He will be home tomorrow. I don't think we realize how much we will miss someone until they aren't right there, like they always are. At the same time, I think a few days apart here and there does us good, because it reminds us of how much we can take for granted sometimes.

I was thinking about how there are some short cruises that go to Cozumel, and how I wouldn't mind trying that all inclusive day resort...Mr. Sanchos, I think it is called? Margaret, did you go there once?

I've been thinking a bit about core wardrobes, and how to build them. Since losing weight, I have needed to purchase new clothes but I feel like some things aren't working as well as I would like. I am hoping to find more chocolate brown pants since those were always the most important thing I had. I have to wear dress pants to work - not chino style. I can also wear skirts, but winter is coming...brrrr.

I have managed to find two suits, both for really good prices. One is a not dark, a Calvin Klein suit where I was able to buy the jacket separate from the pants. It was on sale, plus I was able to use coupons so it ended up being a great price. It is really made well and fits great. Then I found a suit at NY & Co, with a bit of a pattern to it. This also fits nice. But I really want chocolate brown.

If any of you see dress pants or suiting in brown, please let me know. Suiting has to be available as separates since I'm a few sizes different from top to bottom. What a pain that is sometimes.

DH is currently in Fort Worth, so I know JUST what you mean Laurie. Can't wait for him to come home tomorrow. He left Monday...so not as long as your separation, but still...it's nice when they go (sometimes) and it's nice when they come home (about 100%).

IDK if Margaret went to Mr Sanchos...I thought she was a Nochi Cocum gal like Mom and me. We LURVE Nochi...order the FISH. I think it's grouper? or flounder? IDK...it's grilled and fab. Beware the salsa...can you say habanero?

Losing weight was one thing that prompted all my serious study of wardrobe building! Being on the other end of that spectrum is TERRIBLE...but I'm dealing.

I experimented a bit today...I have two vests. One is green. One is kind of off-white (not quite cream, just an Okay Earth color). I had fun making outfits with one pair of skinny jeans, one sweater, two LS knit jersey shirts, two scarves, my new green ankle boots, my Minnetonka boots, and two pairs of sneakers! I have an amazing mix with just those 10 items.

I will expand. I figured out some things adding a skirt planned to wear with my knee high boots.

I have concluded that shoes can make all the difference! I think I knew that...and that is why I have been focusing on shoes for the past 12 months...and now, I'm good to go.

The thing I liked so much about the idea of the capsule wardrobe was how well my nail polish went with everything...I have a green and rust thing going on. I know you're shocked to read that!

Anyhoo...

Melody...totally relate to the West v. East vibe. I would add the Urban v. Suburban vibe and also the ease of outdoor activity. It all plays a role in what is more common.

Today, in the grocery store...only ONE woman was wearing heels. And a SKIRT. She looked like she had gotten off work and was running to the store...her and the couple in scrubs. Literally, everyone else I saw was wearing yoga pants or track pants (KWIM?)...the kind with stripes down the side?

After all my hard work with my jeans, it was too warm and especially humid (hello 97% humidity!) to wear jeans. I wore a capri version of my wardrobe planning to the store and to pick up DS from band practice.

I don't count jeans as active wear. For me, the new active wear is something that you actually could exercise in. Jeans might be sports wear...and some jeans (especially $$$ jeans, which I don't own nor plan to buy in the near future) are full on fashion wear. I guess my watching of Project Runway has helped to define a couple things for me...sports wear is that more mix and match casual wear IMO. That's the way it is in the pattern books anyway. You can dress it up or down. Those things define it.

I recall that one thing I did a while back when I was wanting to be serious about my health and fitness was to NOT wear an elastic waist band, unless I was actually exercising. I remembered that the other day...and I'm taking myself up on that again.

I recall that I made myself wear a bra too.

Sorry if that's TMI...but I meant a real one...not a sports one.

There's something about wearing clothes like that...and focusing the time for wearing exercise clothes.

Oh. A good friend of mine...well...hmmm...as good as we can be up this point (moving puts things into different perspectives...). We were talking hair today...with my undercut (and how much my hair has grown out OMG)...I can wear a pony tail of sorts again...and she wanted me to pull mine back like that...and she thought it looked really good. She had never seen that on me before. :eek:

How funny is that? It was my go to hair style for years...and then I chopped it all off...

We also debated a long pixie again...

Did I mention my hair is making me a little nuts right now?

Another vote for Nachi Cocum! Grilled Grouper to die for! I'll have some in 3 weeks! Melody

OOoooo. Envious! I hope you have great weather Melody! I've never been in the Caribbean in the autumn or winter...

Same for your Barbara! (I think Lauri already left...)