All things EARTH...

Anyone ever seriously considered the 333 project? I swear, it's likely that I only wear 33 different items in a 3 month period...but not planned out. I'm thinking about doing it...but I might do TVF version and not necessarily include accessories in my 33.

We have SNOW on the top of Pikes Peak! I'm so not ready for cold weather.

Anita, what exactly is 333 project?

I was better at coordinating outfits when I was still working. I traveled so much for work that I always had 2 weeks worth of business attire ready to go. I used to be able to pack in about 10 minutes & be leaving for the airport. I actually had a 2 day "go" bag under my desk at all times. Now that I've retired I'm much more relaxed about traveling (but less organized). Melody

Anita, what exactly is 333 project?

The 333 project is a way of simplifying your wardrobe. The idea is that you reduce your wardrobe selection to 33 items for 3 months.

The originator of the project (I think it was just on her blog which is titled something like more with less?) includes shoes and accessories as part of the 33. What isn't included are things like wedding rings, underwear, sleepwear, in-house loungewear, and exercise wear...but there are "rules" like your exercise clothes can ONLY be worn for exercise...and literally, your in-house lounging clothes should never leave the house.

TVF started doing the Project 333, but unsurprising...she doesn't include accessories (maybe not shoes too) in her 33. And that's what I'm considering doing...a sort of modified 333 because with the holidays/cold weather...I don't want to limit my jewelry selection and warm weather accessories.

Thanks Anita. Since I pretty much live in exercise clothes now I could have quite a few things...[emoji6]. I've been pretty good, especially since starting to read these posts, about weeding out the colors that really do nothing for me (even with jewelry & scarves). Melody

Thanks Anita. Since I pretty much live in exercise clothes now I could have quite a few things...[emoji6].

Exactly. Me too. I appreciate the rule that you can only wear the exercise clothes for exercise though... It would help me to spend the time to put together some non-exercise clothes outfits and spruce up some of my exercise things (like the fun poncho scarf but something more appropriate for cooler weather). And then to follow the rules and only wear a truly made for exercise outfit for exercising.

My thing is that after my exercise...I don't change! I just hang out in the same thing...or run errands in the same thing, etc. Or I wear it all day in the anticipation of my evening activities... It all started as laundry avoidance, but now I'm just feeling lazy with my clothing.

Hi,

I'm back!

The anniversary and birthday party surprise turned out awesome! Everything went perfect and looked perfect. It was just so amazing how well it all went. Mom and Dad were so surprised and have been bragging to anyone who will listen about what a wonderful party it was.

It was fun seeing all my relatives and reconnecting with cousins I haven't seen in years. It was just a great time. My SIL and I are so proud of what we did for my parents.

I'm glad it's over though and now on to planning Thanksgiving dinner!

I sweat too much when I exercise to leave my clothes on after, and it makes my skin break out if I do, so I shower and change every time. I generally wear Ts and shorts around the house and save my workout clothes for the gym.

Melody, I have a Briggs and Riley carry-on too, but it tends to stay in the closet now because it is soooo heavy compared to the newer suitcases. My rolling duffel is actually smaller but holds more stuff so that is what I tend to use now. I've had suitcases destroyed more than once, so I don't invest in expensive luggage. With the duffel I find that using packing cubes is a great way to stay organized and find what I need.

mousey, so glad you had a great trip to FL. Isn't it fun when an event comes off perfectly? So satisfying!

My cold finally got better, but now I think I have the flu. :( I put off getting my flu shot because I was sick! Since school started we have been plagued with all kinds of nasty bugs.

Sunday it snowed lightly. It was 78 degrees today. Crazy weather.

When I'm home, it depends on the time of year when it comes to my clothing choices. You've seen my daytime cruising outfits and those are my summer clothes. In cooler weather, it is jeans and sweaters.

When I go somewhere, I like to

Feel pulled together. Remember that burgundy hi low shirt? That would be something I'd wear with my jeans and booties on a Saturday if my husband and I are running errands and grabbing lunch.

If it's a cooler Sunday with dinner in the crock pot and my daughters and I are binge watching "Say Yes to the Dress" I might wear the one pair of brown yoga pants I have. Might. (We could be doing a Harry Potter movie marathon too!)

Margaret, we've had some back and forth weather too. It is so strange.

I will fess up I wear workout clothes on the days I am working out and I then will wear them to do chores and maybe pick up food items . I do not sweat in my work out clothes since I have a bathing suit under them and do an hour of laps then shower and redress in my work out clothes .I occasionally do wear them when I am not going to the gym but just running errands . It makes me look like I am on the way to the gym and just stopped off to do an errand .Hey ! I 'm retired ! I earned the right .

I go to the gym, workout, shower & put on a different workout outfit (cause they're so darn comfy, I will add a scarf or necklace if we're going other than home). I wore suits for so long that I'm really enjoying the clothing freedom

Mousey, so glad the surprise was a success! What a wonderful memory for you & your parents.

We've had cold, rainy weather for a couple of days & all I've done is cook (DH is thrilled!). I made an amazing (& so easy) crockpot beef & broccoli yesterday & spaghetti sauce & stuffed peppers tonight. Also a couple loaves of banana bread (that made DH & DS very happy) I won't need to cook again till we come back (I still cook like all our kids are still home (good thing DH loves leftovers, we have a few).

Melody

Edited by awhfy

I'm not a huge fan of W magazine but my friend gets it and lets me have it when she's finished. Two things caught my attention. The first was a spread on the very edgy Paris fashion shows, which if you watch Project Runway makes you totally understand why the judges chose the Brooklyn Bridge look last week. The second was on the bankruptcies of some major stores this year, and how the trends for online shopping and athleisure are killing brands like American Apparel and Aeropostale, with many more on the way like maybe even The Gap. Shocking, right? Lots of talk about the death of minor malls and the stores in them. So, spending your day in workout clothing is the way of things now. You ladies rule!

I'm about to bombard the thread with the embarrassment of EARTH riches that was the September Vogue. OMG. Love the colors, love the mix of textures. I pulled so many photos that I had to break them into categories. The first set is what I call Work & Fun.

Tom Ford:

TomFord.jpg

I love the digital print skirt. I have a similar pair (not so high, more coverage) of brown suede sandals that I've been wearing to work a lot this fall because the weather is so warm and socks seem too much. Parker:

Parker.jpg

H&M:

HampM.jpg

Ohne:

Ohne.jpg

I don't know if the color reads but this jacket is olive. JOA:

JOAampDesignLab_0001.jpg

My favorite color. Aldo:

Aldo.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time finding yellow tops that I think are interesting. Lands End:

LandsEnd2.jpg

Lands End:

LandsEnd1.jpg

Brahmin:

Brahmin_1.jpg

After all our talk about boots, these really caught my eye. Sorel:

Sorel.jpg

This is ICE, but can you imagine how fabulous it would be in other palettes as well? Chanel, of course:

Chanel.jpg

Etro:

Etro_1.jpg

I want to go out to dinner in this oufit. Well, minus the hat. Ralph Lauren:

Lauren.jpg

Edited by MJC

Following along with all this conversation and sitting here attempting to put all these wonderful ideas into practice. #1 - KonMari, only have things (possessions) in life that spark joy, #2 - Vivienne Files, looking chic and sophisticated with a minimalist capsule wardrobe, #3 - keeping up fashion standards with the issue of luggage weight and international travel.

I've really been studying my little 'ole heart out!

And, here comes the conversation about exercise clothes and when/where we all wear them (as I'm sitting here in my Athleta yoga top and capris... comfortable... and absolutely not chic or sophisticated but I can tell you that the library ladies have seen this particular outfit quite a number of times as has the self check helper in my grocery store and, well, DH would be surprised NOT to see me in this particular outfit, especially this week... but I digress)...

I stumbled upon this particular blogger and video. Giggle. Thought I'd share. Tell me what you think! Be sure to read the comments as well, if you have some time to spare and an interest in the topic of course....

http://dailyconnoisseur.blogspot.ch

:D

I think I am all ready clothing-wise for our cruise. I still need to go to Charming Charlie and pick up a couple of cute costume jewelry pieces for my outfits. I had a necklace that I wanted to wear but I have misplaced it and seeing as it's not exactly an expensive piece I am just going to find something else rather than tear apart my house looking for it.

I am considering having my nails done... I have really bad nails and have worn acrylic nails off and on for several years. I haven't worn them though in at least three years and I wasn't really planning to but I just hate the way my hands look with my sad sad nails. I try to polish them (the gel polish works well) but they still look stubby and sad. I can't do anything too long because I type a lot for work and with the chair long nails are a hazard but a nice short acrylic might be nice. I have to think on it. I like the way they look but not the upkeep or how badly they damage my nails. Decisions, decisions.

I can't believe it... we leave a week from tomorrow!!!!

Pam, nice share, thank you. :) In case anyone has missed the video going around, I'll share it here but with the disclaimer that I'm not taking sides:

The blogger's story reminded me of a time in the early 90s when DH and I went to a very upscale dinner at the original Aureole for our anniversary. At that time, before business casual was even a category, the men were in dark suits like DH wore to work and the women likewise were on the dressy side. There was a foursome and both the men were wearing jeans. At that time it was shocking, but my SIL explained later that it was becoming a thing among the rich who ate at places like that all the time and therefore didn't feel it was special enough to warrant dressing up. A signifier that they weren't tourists or office workers.

I think that's a bit sad. It's like long-time cruisers who complain about everything. IMO you are just limiting the joy in your experiences with your own jaded mindset.

I think it's less the clothing and more the behavior that goes with the clothing that bothers some people the most. I ran around in sweat pants for two years when I had my knees done, but it didn't change my basic manners. I still wore a dress and (short) heels with hose to a relative's black tie bat mitzvah (cane and all). If I couldn't have dressed appropriately, I would have stayed home.

One of the commenters said that active wear is just replacing the jeans/tshirts casual wear that was considered so shockingly casual when we were young. I find that to be more true in the country than here in the city. The students at my school tend to wear jeans but it's clear that in addition they put some effort into styling, for the most part.

Has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? One of the things I find so funny in that movie is that the people from the future pull a new shirt out of a saran wrap-type dispenser, and they're covered with logo advertising and disposable. Every time I see someone in UnderArmour or Nike Wear I think of that. :)

Barbara, how exciting! So close!

I have problem nails, too. Mostly they are short and absolutely neglected. But it's nice to have polish for special occasions. I find that lots of typing just wears it off the tips and isn't worth the bother when I'm working. I just did them two days ago and already it looks bad.

I'm wearing a polish that you would like, I think. It's a super dark gray, almost black, with a hint of green in it. It's a little spot of joy in life while I'm home with the flu. :)

I stumbled upon this particular blogger and video. Giggle. Thought I'd share. Tell me what you think! Be sure to read the comments as well, if you have some time to spare and an interest in the topic of course....

http://dailyconnoisseur.blogspot.ch

:D

I would never wear my exercise clothes to a restaurant except maybe Mc Donald's . For awhile I was stretching the boundary of where I wore them but have since stopped that . The blog was interesting . I would never be bothered by what other people wore no matter how bizarre . Loud video games would bother me but silenced video games who cares especially if they were using them to keep children entertained .Florida is so casual it is common to see people in exercise clothes everywhere .