Crown Princess to run out of Galveston 2012/13

Goldryder

Unless there is an airport next to the dock, traffic is an issue everywhere:rolleyes:

It took us 3 1-/2 hours in Orlando to get to Port Canaveral due to late shuttle, then waiting for additional passengers:( As long as we made it in time to sail, why worry.

We have taken friends from the VOS in Galveston to Intercontinental and it is typically a 75 minute drive, both ways. 30 minutes to Hobby.

The port is in town, one block to the Strand with shopping and restaurants as well as 3 restaurants on harborside where you can see the ships. Lots of hotels and great things to see.

Come visit our City:)

Not any more. The final segment was recently completed.

Sidebar: No toll booths. It's Ez Tag only.

Traffic from IAH or HOU to Galveston is relatively light weekends.

Rush hour on week days is a whole nuther subject. Take note, rush hour starts early Friday afternoons.

Thanks for the update - I relied on Yahoo! Maps for my information.

I wish Princess and RC were both here year round and offer some 10 or 14 cruises and some different itineraries other than the ones they currently are sailing.

I take it that the Crown Princess will sail on Saturdays since the Mariner will be sailing on Sundays.

Currently, the Carnival Ecstasy and later this year the Carnival Triumph will do 5 day crusies to Progreso (about 40 miles from Merida and convenient to various reuins) and Cozumel, which about 40 miles from Cancun by water taxi or ferry. Cozumel is also a relatively short ways from Maya ruins on the mainland (Tulum).

Thanks for the info. But what I really mean is that if Princess or other cruise lines want to really make a big push to market this port and itinerary to international cruisers, then it needs to be able to put Chichen Itza on the forefront of its advertisiing.

It is with regret that I may have to cruise with Carnival instead of Princess because of this. (OK, Princess is part of Carnival Grp so they don't miss my fare. But I like the Princess brand better.)

Wheres the cruise lines in the summer? They sure arent sailing out of Texas. It is hard to believe that the 2nd largest state in the USA doesnt have a cruise line that will offer a 7 night cruise in the summer time, (when families take their vacations). I think I know the reason. They all have the wonderful kids program but, kids dont spend much money and they count as a passenger and the ship has a maximum passenger count, so they had rather cruise Nov. thru April when the kids are in school. Its all about having passengers that spend money i think. Its pathetic if you ask me.

Wheres the cruise lines in the summer? They sure arent sailing out of Texas. It is hard to believe that the 2nd largest state in the USA doesnt have a cruise line that will offer a 7 night cruise in the summer time, (when families take their vacations). I think I know the reason. They all have the wonderful kids program but, kids dont spend much money and they count as a passenger and the ship has a maximum passenger count, so they had rather cruise Nov. thru April when the kids are in school. Its all about having passengers that spend money i think. Its pathetic if you ask me.

For the Crown Princess, it makes more sense (and dollars) to Princess if she is cruising Europe rather than the Caribbean in the summer. Princess abandons California too in the summer... much more money to be made in Alaska. Remember too, that it's HOT in the Caribbean during the summer. :)

Congratulations Princess on your wise decision to return to Galveston. with the 4th, 6th, and 8th largest cities in the nation within driving distance, we have enough people to keep the ships filled - even if those from other states would rather suffer the hustles of Miami than fly to Texas. We live about 110 miles north of the port (1/2 hour north of the airport) and have never had any problems with the drive to Galveston. Usually only takes about 75 minutes from where we are. We will be sailing from San Juan in a few weeks - talk about a hastle. And if you spend the night before or after the cruise in San Juan, be prepared to spend over $250 per night for a decent hotel. Galveston has much better prices - to say nothing of the $700 flight to San Juan. Galveston is a beautiful, historic spot with hotels that will let you park in their lot while you are on the cruise and even drive you to the cruise terminal. As others have said - come try us out. Don't listen to the negatives. There are more positives!!

I hope Celebrity will listen to the Princess news and return a ship to Galveston. They were here for 2 years and ran 11 and 12 night cruises that went part way through the Panama Canal. It was a magnificent cruise. Costa Rica was a stop, as well. Are you listening Celebrity? We want you back, too.

Wheres the cruise lines in the summer? They sure arent sailing out of Texas. It is hard to believe that the 2nd largest state in the USA doesnt have a cruise line that will offer a 7 night cruise in the summer time, (when families take their vacations).

Carnival has 7 day cruises out of Galveston all summer long.

Congratulations Princess on your wise decision to return to Galveston. We live about 110 miles north of the port (1/2 hour north of the airport) and have never had any problems with the drive to Galveston. Usually only takes about 75 minutes from where we are.

By private jet!:D

We are very, very excited about this news. Texas has a huge cruise market. We, too, took the Grand out of Galveston a few years back, just for a quick get-a-way. We were surprised how much we did enjoy that cruise and the ports that the Crown will now visit. But, want to add that we would love longer cruises on Princess out of Galveston...hopefully, Princess will listen and arrange a few 9, 10, or 14 day ones. ;)

We are very, very excited about this news. Texas has a huge cruise market.

Actually, it's a pretty limited market, since most of those who cruise out of Galveston drive to the port. Intercontinental (Bush) is about 90 minutes to two hours away (despite what you may read here), and the cost just to get to and from the airport and ship can add a couple of hundred dollars to the overall price. If you're lucky enough to be able to fly into Hobby, it's a different story ... 35-40 minutes right down I-45, and shuttles are pretty reasonable. But only Southwest and JetBlue are the major players, although you can get there from Atlanta on Delta. The other airlines (AirTran, American and Frontier) have pretty convoluted schedules. One of the reasons for the Florida ports being so active is the ease of access from all over the country ... and overseas, as well.

I wouldn't count on another cruise line or longer trips, although I'd probably be the first to book a ten-nighter. If it were profitable, those options would have already been offered. Don't forget ... despite all the excitement, only one cruise line operates year-round out of Galveston; and since Carnival is bringing in a brand-new, larger ship, that would likely exhaust the possibilities for its competitiors. We're looking at bringing the Crown here on its transatlantic cruise ... info will be available on the 17th, and we'll seriously consider it.

According to today's Galveston County Daily News another cruise ship announcement will be forthcoming.

Could this mean a year around - Princess or RCCL? Or even Celebrity?

One may think this is a limited market, but the ships are always full.

Airport distances are about the same everywhere. There are few airports next to a cruise terminals. Transportation from Orlando to Port Canaveral took us 3 hours in January.

Again, depending on arrival time, travel time to a port can be long. However, in the worst conditions (snow and closed overpasses) it still only took us 90 minutes to get to Intercontinental from the Island. Rush hour in ever city is a traffic nightmare. Plan ahead!

We have faith in our City the cruise trade will continue to grow. Galveston is a great place to visit before and after a cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Not really, as the drive downs are a huge number. We were on the Voyager in Feb., and the number of people who drove from Canada, Mich., Iowa, Kan., Okla. etc was incredible. Yeah, it's still a problem getting from Bush to Galveston and back, which is all anyone really talks about. :)

Considering that Houston is a hub where you can fly anywhere in the world usually non-stop, it's pretty user friendly. Amsterdam 9 hr., Honolulu 8 1/2 hr., Anchorage 7 1/2 hr. it's probably as easy to use as Hartsfield or O'hare. It's still however, an hour and a half from Galveston. That being said, Hobby is getting a lot of non-stops other than SouthWest (which I love). Conaire is giving them more options.

We've sailed the Grand twice out of Galveston, and did a South bound on the Diamond in Alaska; Diamond and I would guess Crown are a much better design. We're really looking forward to the Crown and sailing Princess out of Galveston again.

• 3 weeks later...

This is terrific for our area. I have yet so sail out of Galveston (on Carnival and RCL) where the ship was not full. And there were many passengers from surrounding states on board. Galveston is a pretty historic town and popular as a departure port even if they have to fly to get there. We sailed last fall to the Bahamas from there and had a blast.

Don't forget about all of us on the West Coast! For us, flying to IAH is a breeze compared with flying to FLL!!! I'll fly the 3 short hours to Texas any day over flying ALL day long to FLL and having to stop to change planes.

There are many of us out here that much prefer the quick hop to Houston and don't mind the drive to the port at all.

We live in San Antonio so an easy 3 hr. drive. We did one cruise out of Galveston and had no problems with parking or traffic. There are hotels that will keep your car for the week if you stay a night before. I am so glad Princess will be a closer option for us since air prices are so high now.

We are also in San Antonio and have booked the Crown for early 2013. We took the cruise on the Grand when it was in Galveston and since we missed two ports due to weather we're going to do it again. But that I feel is the main problem Princess is going to have trying to fill the Crown. It's pretty much a one trick pony - the same cruise over and over again to the same places. If you just want to be on a ship, or go to the same places over and over it's fine. We'll go one time to see the places we missed (I hope) - but wouldn't do it again.

We are also in San Antonio and have booked the Crown for early 2013. We took the cruise on the Grand when it was in Galveston and since we missed two ports due to weather we're going to do it again. But that I feel is the main problem Princess is going to have trying to fill the Crown. It's pretty much a one trick pony - the same cruise over and over again to the same places. If you just want to be on a ship, or go to the same places over and over it's fine. We'll go one time to see the places we missed (I hope) - but wouldn't do it again.

I'm booking for early jan 2013, may see you. I agree with you, I dont know why they dont change the itinerary at all. Its the exact same as when I was on the grand. Either way I will do it once more as well its been a while since I went on that one did the san juan CB a little over a year ago. I would have loved to do it again but the flights are crazy prices.

One and done - really?

Each year thousands of folks visit these locations while on vacation often staying for a week or more. Assuming they are awake ~16 hours/day, that equates to at least ten eight hour cruise ship visits.

Princess visits four, count 'em four, ports vs RCI and Carnival's measly three.

The ports are distinctive with one thing in common: truly world class diving/snorkeling at each one. Roatan's jungle like scenery is magnificent and complements the absolute best diving and snorkeling in the Caribbean. Cozumel has superb off shore reefs alive with marine life, and Mayan ruins for land lubbers. Belize is unique with its small islands resting along the third largest reef in the world. Belize's neighbor, Majahual, is well known for excellent water sports and Mayan ruins. Grand Cayman is nearly perfect for both land and sea enthusiasts.

All have beautiful sand beaches with year round 80deg plus water.

Who could ask for anything more?;)

I went all three years Grand sailed out of Galveston. Each time I saw and/or did something new. I'm itching to go with my favorite cruise line's four ports again.

Don't forget about all of us on the West Coast! For us, flying to IAH is a breeze compared with flying to FLL!!! I'll fly the 3 short hours to Texas any day over flying ALL day long to FLL and having to stop to change planes.

There are many of us out here that much prefer the quick hop to Houston and don't mind the drive to the port at all.

See, I knew there were people like yourself filling up our cruises here. In the immortal words of Davie Crockett... "ya'll can just go to h@$l, I'll go to Texas,":)

• 5 months later...

Found all the complaints about the distance to the airports humorous. Aren't we all lectured to fly one day early to our cruise?? If you do that to avoid any weather, mechanical, etc. problems, then you should have a great leisurely visit either to Houston or Galveston. The area is probably much cheaper to visit than many other ports. Plus Princess gets the folks that drive to save money or that hate flying.

Archived