LIVE from the STAR PRINCESS - March 9th-24th, RIO to FT LAUDERDALE

Pia1913

Hi everyone!

Pia is wonderful to take time and post daily! She has to read thru all the posts to answer any of our questions regarding the cruise and ports. Her Princess Internet minutes are ticking as she reads.

IMHO...I think we should take the discussion regarding the stateroom accounting problems to the main board!

Pia, thanks for taking us along on part 2 of your adventure. Regarding "where Mike was happily able to purchase a golf shirt with a Brazil logo" does he have a separate closet at home for all of his golf shirts?:D

Also, regarding your first leg, any thoughts on that trip going West-East vs. East-West i.e. pattern of sea days vs. port days?

Thanks!

We got off the ship shortly after 9:00. Very strange not to see tour buses waiting. So, with explicit (we hoped) internet instructions and directions, we headed to the cruise terminal where it was said we’d find lots of shopping. Wrong. Nothing. Not even one. We walked outside and into oppressive heat, which only got hotter as time passed. About 10 minutes and turn left…………..the Mercado Modelo. The huge market. Think something on the order of Grand Bazaar in Istanbul (though not even close in size) or the straw market in Nassau, or Le Marche in Papeete, or any other non air conditioned fire trap that comes to mind. After having been “squooshed” enough, we went out the back door and behold! ………………. Lots of kiosks selling the same stuff as inside,but at least out there you could breathe; albeit stagnant air.

As suggested on our Salvador info sheet, we decided to take the elevator (it was just across the road) to the Upper City. The elevator was built over 100 years ago and does the 225 foot rise in about 15 seconds. Cost was approx. 4 cents/pp each way. The first thing you notice is a breeze; slight, but still a breeze. Then you see churches; everywhere. There’s probably one per person. It was suggested that we visit some unusual shops up there, but nowhere in my direct viewing capability did I see even one. It was way to hot to meander so we happily returned to the ship. Two hours out there was enough. Took a mini shower, did some hand laundering and off to lunch we went. Oh yes, got rid of whatever Reals we had (not much) by buying a small statue for our family room wall unit.

Since it was too hot to sit outdoors, we decided to see the Drew Barrymore movie “Going the Distance” again. I think I liked it better the 2nd time. Afterwards, a little wine, a little popcorn, some ice cream (Mike)………. all in all, good afternoon. And then at 4:45.………. Trivia. Guess what. Yep……… lost by one. Boo hoo; no passport wallet for us. ;)

We’re going to try and attend MUTS tonight to see the vintage West Side Story movie. We’ll see how the weather goes once the ship is underway, since rain is again forecasted.

War Eagle: he has a crowded closet and lots of assorted filled drawers. I don't think he knows what he has, since he never throws anything out. Mike is the classic pack rat. As for directions we travel; like them all.

See y'all in the morning.

Sounds like the day we had in Salvador Pia.

Ride the elevator to the Old Town, walking tour, then back down elevator to Market and back to ship.

The Old Town is quite historic, and there seems to be a church on every corner.

Elevator

2730183690102786229S600x600Q85.jpg

View from Elevator

2374216510102786229S600x600Q85.jpg

Lookout along from Elevator

2449485380102786229S600x600Q85.jpg

Old Cty Square

2595817870102786229S600x600Q85.jpg

Ornate Churches

2763497940102786229S600x600Q85.jpg

Pia,

thank you for your continued exploits on the Star. We're looking forward to seeing her over here in Europe for our cruise in June.

Kiwi Kruiser,

Thanks for the great pics from Salvador, they add colour to Pia's adventures.

Berwyn

Hi Pia,

Enjoy reading your posts (from Santiago on). I don't know if you will stopping at Manaus, BZ, but a word of warning to all who may someday. My wife and I were on the Grand, TA Rome to Ft. Lauderdale, Nov/Dec 2009. Manaus was a port of call. 2 separate couples decided they were going to walk to the beach. One couple was attacked by four people IN THE DOCK YARD. They were beaten up and robbed. They ended up with medical care on the ship for bad bruises. The other couple was near the beach when they were also attacked by four men (apparently not the same people). The couple resisted and were badly beaten, wife had a broken ankle. NOBODY in the area came to there rescue. They spent a lot of time in sick bay on the ship. The MD on the ship said they were lucky, as generally they get knifed! This was told to us by a table mate of the dock yard couple. The shipped hushed it up, but it became common knowledge. I have been told by others that Manaus is particularly dangerous, so maybe it is just that port.

I know this might generate some controversy, so I will simply say " take it for what it is worth"

Lancet

PS Pia You sure like movies!!

Good Sunday morning at sea. Another hot one, but sea breezes abound. 7:00 AM temperature was 84.4. Right now, at a little past 9:15 ,the sun is blazing and skies are clear. Again rain was predicted. We will see. Satellite has been down since last night, and just came back up.

Last night, we did in fact go to MUTS to see West Side Story. We had had never seen it and decided after 45 mi.nutes we weren’t going to stay. It’s hard to have seen the live production and then realize how they messed it up when making the movie.

On today’s schedule is a Mormon church service at 9:00. Very strange. I wonder why this particular one and no other, such as an ecumenical which is usually done. Also this morning is a presentation on Alaska. I guess they want you to see the ice while you’re roasting with this heat. Power of suggestion sometimes prevails.

There will be a pub lunch in the Crown Grill and the movie Morning Glory will be in the theater at 1:00. Maxtone-Graham is back with his Titanic Survivor presentation at 3:30. We’ve seen both the movie and the lecture, so our schedule really has nothing on it except the usual trivia loss.

On tap tonight is the movie Tangled on MUTS, the pianist again in the theater and in Vista a comedian; Lenny Windsor. The late movie in Vista is Secretariat. Latin and ballroom dancing is in Explorer’s (same every night), but at 9:30 they will play Jeopardized Trivia.

David: Your pix certainly make this thread better. Thanks.

Earl: We talked about you last night. All good. ;)

Lancet: We did the Amazon 2 years ago. Manaus is 4 hours away from here; by plane. :)

Trivia; yuk! Our team; yuk! Back to our regular shenanigans. We lost Carolyn and John and gained Ro and Murray. Yesterday lost by one; this morning lost by one. Sounds familiar, huh? Did we really need those prizes? Decks of cards. Definitely not!

Come on, Pia. Do you really want to haul home some more of those wonderful trivia prizes? By the way, what are some of the new things they have given away?

Come on, Pia. Do you really want to haul home some more of those wonderful trivia prizes? By the way, what are some of the new things they have given away?

It's the competitive spirit in Pia. It's enough to be first. She gives most of her prizes away so no hauling..........lol.:):):)

Totally uneventful day. My highlight was lunch, so you know how boring it was. Mike attended two different freebie photography presentations. He did buy a Nikon on board two years ago and still had some questions about one of the functions. I stay out of it; not my forte’. I am not going to mention trivia because I’m too ashamed. Suffice to say we lost by more than one.

Some info for those interested. I think you already know we are not sailing full, and the breakdown is 350 Brazilians, 500+ Canadians and approx. 700 Americans. I suppose a few other nationalities for good measure, but not many more. This is for BILL: Joe May will be your port lecturer on the crossing May 3rd. He will be on board the Star until October. He has no clue as to whether or not there will be any sort of historical lecturer along with him.

There was some sort of “uh oh” going on down the hall from us. Full Hazmat unit out in their regalia shortly after noon. Whatever it is, hopefully it’s been contained. We will no longer even walk by that door.

We, who never like the dining room menu, like it tonight. Actually, that’s me who never likes……..blah blah blah. Anyhow, tonight is French onion soup and escargot. YUM! We are also planning to see the comic in Vista since I couldn’t find a synopsis of “Tangled.” Besides which, gotta’ give the talent a chance. Occasionally.

Posting early; want to go to rum tasting before trivia and dinner.

Caryn: no new prizes.

Bridge lecturer named Don.

See you tomorrow.

Pia,

Enjoying your post; we were supposed to be on this full cruise Santiago to FLL last year, but didn't make it because of the earthquake.

"Tangled" is an updated version of Repunzel (Disney animation) - I really enjoyed it (don't have to be a kid to like Disney).

nmi

"There was some sort of “uh oh” going on down the hall from us. Full Hazmat unit out in their regalia shortly after noon. Whatever it is, hopefully it’s been contained. We will no longer even walk by that door."

Hi Pia - am enjoying reading your posts. We will be on the cruise following yours and are also on Caribe forward (202). I hope the "uh oh" isn't in our soon-to-be home :) Thanks for all the info on movies that are onboard!

Hi Pia,

Enjoy reading your posts (from Santiago on). I don't know if you will stopping at Manaus, BZ, but a word of warning to all who may someday. My wife and I were on the Grand, TA Rome to Ft. Lauderdale, Nov/Dec 2009. Manaus was a port of call.

Are you sure you mean Manaus?

o The Grand is too large to go up and down the Amazon river

o I know of no beach in Manaus

o The only Brazil port I saw for the Grand TA November 30, 2009 was Fortaleza

This is for BILL: Joe May will be your port lecturer on the crossing May 3rd. He will be on board the Star until October. He has no clue as to whether or not there will be any sort of historical lecturer along with him.

Thanks

Thanks Caribill. My mistake and I meant to say Fortazela, but must of had Manaus on my brain. The context still is accurate though, and something that people should consider when in Fortazela. When we were on the dock (next to the ship) waiting for the tour bus, the crew on the dock specifically advise all of us NOT walk to town or beach. We toured the market, and the tour guide emphatically told us not to stray from the market area as too dangerous. And finally, the women who told us and was a table mate of one of the couples was my wife's Canasta partner on ship. I don't think she would make it up.

I would hate to see something happen to anyone, especially my fellow cruisers. I don't know if Fortazela is a port of call in the future, but if so, be aware!

Thanks for you time,

Lancet

PS I sure was aggravated to have to get a Brazilian Visa for a few hours stop. So wasn't everyone. Oh well, have it for the 30 day Star trip 2/12

Lancet,

We were supposed to be on this cruise with Pia, but took Princess's move over offer instead. The port on Pia's cruise was supposed to be Recife, but about a month or few weeks before the cruise, they swapped Recife out for Fortazela. There was quite a bit of discussion among our CC group about this, as others had warned of the dangers to passengers in Fortazela, and in fact, had said that many cruise ships had stopped going there. People felt that maybe Princess was "trying it again" in hopes that the crime had abated. :eek: Also, there was speculation that the cruise ships had to pay port charges that were way too high now in Recife. It will be interesting to hear of Pia's experiences...if it were us, we probably would stay on the ship or venture to the Fortazela market area in a small group...a shame since the beaches there are supposed to be nice. For next year's Rio to SF, we are staying on the ship in Acapulco..another dangerous tourist area. :mad:

It's the competitive spirit in Pia. It's enough to be first. She gives most of her prizes away so no hauling..........lol.:):):)

I know she gives most away. I was teasing her. She did give me several caps on the Sapphire cruise last Oct/Nov since we didn't win any.

Pia, I remember on the Sapphire they said they would be coming out with new prizes. What a disappointment.

Archived