panic over 14yo boy and clothes

I totally agree with you PhoenixDawg! I have taught my son how to act and dress appropriately at home. I don't feel the need to make him dress in a manner that makes him uncomfortable while on vacation. He know that he must dress up when I tell him that it is necessary. I don't consider dinner in the MDR that big of a deal. I never really understood how what someone else is wearing in the MDR could effect my dinning experience. I guess I'm more interested in the people that I'm dining with, not their clothes. I'll probabbly get flamed for this but I think too many of you get on your "high horses" with your so-called parenting advice. I believe the OP asked for advice on a shirt, not with how to raise her children.

You and I would get along famously!!!:D For me, a vacation is not the place I choose to argue with my son about his clothing choices. And we never eat in the DR, we are fine with WJ or other choices around the ship, DR takes too long and the food isn't much better than anywhere else on the ship, so we don't bother, therefore clothing isn't an issue.

-Tracey:D

We go on IOS in 4 days and I am now panicing. My son only ever wears tracksuits and trainers except when at school. We convinced him to get nice jeans and polo shirts for evenings on the condition as soon as dinner was over he could go get changed.

Now formal nights are different, we got him black trousers and black shoes and a checked shirt. We could not get him ot agree to a plain shirt and tie and there was no way it was going to be a suit or jacket :eek:

I am now packing and wonder should we ( hubby and I ) just forget about the formal nights and eat in WJ those nights or will the trouser and shirt be ok for 14 year old in MDR on formal nights?

We also have a meal booked in chops so are only planning to go to 1 formal night. I know last time on Voyager and Navigator we seen adults without ties and jackets on in MDR, not many but one or two.

thanks

The child is 14. You are doing the packing. You pack his white school shirt, his black school trousers, black school shoes and his school tie and blazer. This is what you set out for him to wear on formal nights. Simples.

The child is 14. You are doing the packing. You pack his white school shirt, his black school trousers, black school shoes and his school tie and blazer. This is what you set out for him to wear on formal nights. Simples.

Just curious, why would a mom/dad be packing for a 14 year old young man?? My 14 year old son has been packing for himself since he was 11 or 12. Not a criticism, just a question.

Just curious, why would a mom/dad be packing for a 14 year old young man?? My 14 year old son has been packing for himself since he was 11 or 12. Not a criticism, just a question.

Because the OP said she was doing the packing. This way she can control what the child takes (and doesn't take). In such circumstances I certainly would do the packing.....!

We go on IOS in 4 days and I am now panicing. My son only ever wears tracksuits and trainers except when at school. We convinced him to get nice jeans and polo shirts for evenings on the condition as soon as dinner was over he could go get changed.

Now formal nights are different, we got him black trousers and black shoes and a checked shirt. We could not get him ot agree to a plain shirt and tie and there was no way it was going to be a suit or jacket :eek:

I am now packing and wonder should we ( hubby and I ) just forget about the formal nights and eat in WJ those nights or will the trouser and shirt be ok for 14 year old in MDR on formal nights?

We also have a meal booked in chops so are only planning to go to 1 formal night. I know last time on Voyager and Navigator we seen adults without ties and jackets on in MDR, not many but one or two.

thanks

Here's my take. Yes, he'll be OK in just trouser and shirt on formal night. I really don't think most people are going to hold up a 14 year old in formal ware or tie, etc. So don't sweat it. Maybe he'll find some buddies to hang with and they'll go to the WJ cafe on formal night and you two do the formal dining, etc. Funny thing when I went on my first cruise RCCL Song of Norway in 1980 I was 19 and I worn my 3 piece brown suit. Man, did I think I looked hot! On my Mexico cruise in 2008 I saw a 12 year old in a Tux with tails on formal night. Go figure.

Well, you could pose that question to the OP, except that 1) some people here would take it as "unsolicited parenting advice" and 2) the OP wouldn't likely answer, because, unlike the rest of us, she's moved on from this thread. :D

School tie and blazer?? Black school shoes?? Unless this child goes to a private school with a dress code, these things don't exist. Kids haven't dressed like this in public schools, oh, since the 60's, maybe.

School tie and blazer?? Black school shoes?? Unless this child goes to a private school with a dress code, these things don't exist. Kids haven't dressed like this in public schools, oh, since the 60's, maybe.

Both the OP and the responder you are quoting live in GB where school uniforms are quite commonplace.

I tried to imagine how my parents would have handled this situation when I was 14. Here are the possible options my parents would have given me:

A. Dress appropriate and join them in the MDR. Suit with a white shirt and tie.

B. Dress the way I want and eat in the Windjammer or order room service.

C. Respect my parents and follow their guidelines or stay at home with a babysitter.

:D

There would have been no option B for me.

I tried to imagine how my parents would have handled this situation when I was 14. Here are the possible options my parents would have given me:

C. Respect my parents and follow their guidelines or stay at home with a babysitter.

For my parents only A & C would have been choices (and we were kinda spolied)if we would have cruised. Some things were non negotiable....i.e. anything that might embarass them.

For me, A, B & C would have been options for my daughter.

To each his own.

thanks

Your son and his parents will be fine for formal night. Don't let the fashion police intimidate you. Not everyone got "formal" to "formal" night.

I would never want my child to be seen at any dinner in his school uniform. :eek: I would also never ask my son to wear a plain white shirt, he is 18. Actually, my son would never wear a uniform, nor would I ask him to. Even at the most prestigious local private schools here (1 is 5 minutes away and the other 15), they do not wear uniforms any more. I like to think kids should be individuals and not look the same, even though some studies would like to prove different.

(sorry to rant)

I agree, I was going to reply to this but I would not have been as kind as you, so decided to say nothing. Thanks

Do you also pack his pocket pen protecter and the sign that says "Beat me up for my lunch money and throw me in the girls bathroom" ?

Have you seen the way kids dress to public school these days?

Even the private schools around here with uniforms have relaxed a bit.

I have a ds that just turned 14! We have cruised many times and he knows that on formal nights he will be in a black suit!:D He doesn't even question it! ;)

Why should he, he knows the suit will not give him any answers.

I know that is what my parents would have told me to do...too as stated in the post above. Guess times have changed.

Now at least I don't have to worry about what my DDs will wear on formal nights, because they are both adults and wear formals...as specified by the rules. But I know if I had taken them on a cruise when they were 14 they would've still wanted a formal to wear....but I know boys have different ideas about dressing formal at that age.

Good luck to the OP. He is certainly 'testing' your limits of what you will tolerate from him and allow him to do.

My kids have spent many a vacation on a cruise ship. They are "experienced". They are now, and have always been, willing to dress up for formal night. My son is now 16. Formal night always consisted of a dress shirt, dress slacks, and tie (when quite young), moved up to a suit as he got a bit older. Last cruise he wore a tux. He loves his tux (a JC Penny $100 special). I have the cutest pictures of him posing "James Bond" style throughout the ship. We cruise out for spring break in about a week. He is looking forward to wearing his tux again.

We want the kids to enjoy their vacation too. I have only a few "required" family times for them. Formal night they need to dress up and get family photos taken. If we are sailing with a group, they are to eat dinner on formal night with us. If it is just us and them, I really don't care. They can eat with us, or with their friends. But if they eat in the dining room, they need to adhere to the dress code. The odd thing is that there was at least one occasion where my son OPTED to eat in the MDR whlie We ate in the WJ! :eek:

With all that said, we live in the Chicagoland area. Getting that boy to wear pants (instead of shorts) in 20 degrees is a challenge. I totally get the wardrobe challenge with teenage boys. It comes down to helping my kids make appropriate choices. (even if I have to bully them into it!)

Archived