Who's cruised in September? Hows the weather?

Missiowa

We are talking exotic eastern carribean in September. With hurricanes and such, how is the weather? We don't have any of that in Iowa. Is it just rainy season or a rocky ride or what?

Missiowa,

I have cruised MANY times in Sept. and is no big deal. Yes, it is hurricane season, but the cruise lines are not going to take a chance with a $500 million dollar ship OR your lives. IMHO, hurricane is one of the best times to cruise, as prices really drop, and you can get a better cabin for a lesser price. Now, I won't lie to you, it can be a little rocky sometimes, but that's only until the Captain gets out to deeper water. I am getting ready for my 25th cruise in 11 years, and probably 18 or 19 have been in hurricane season. GO! HAVE FUN!!

we like to cruise in late august-late september. we haven't had any weather problems, but bad weather can happen anytime. also, it is hurricane season, so we never pick a cruise based on a certain port. the ships still sail if there is a hurricane, but the itinerary may change to go around a storm.

i've done it about 5.times, crossing my.fingers for each one.

the fares have plummetted, and i realize i'm taking a risk.

i watch the weather channel paying special attention to anything coming off the african coast.

and have been lucky each time.

We have cruised sept-oct last 5 years or so and have not had a problem other than change in itinerary once or twice.

Fares very good but you do have risk of change of itinerary or a bit of a rocky ride but they will go where hurricane aint. icon7.gif

The Caribbean weather in September is wayyyy too hot for me. I don't so much worry about the hurricanes, simply because the cruise will simply just go somewhere else if one is coming. I tend not to cruise in the summer though because its just so dang hot haha

I love a January or Feb. Caribbean cruise though. The weather is generally in the 80s and very very pleasant :)

We have also cruised in September, and found it to be an ideal time to cruise.

First, the kids are back in school. So no wild partying college kids and prices are lower because the family demand is down.

As for hurricanes, the storms move slowly and the ships can easily change course and outrun them. Plus, chances of a hurricane being where you are at any given day are very small.

The weather and water are still very warm everywhere. Just a perfect time to cruise!!

We have cruised 2 times in Sept. on the Conquest out of Galveston. We had no problems with hurricanes but on the second cruise Ike hit our area 6 days after we got off the ship. The people that were on that sailing were stranded on the ship for quite a few days and if they parked in Galveston they lost their cars. Would I do it again? Of course, you can never predict the weather and the ship was always safe and they got an extended vacation.

As others have said, the ship will avoid hurricanes even if they have to change the itinerary.

But there's other things to consider: How are you getting to the port? Flights can be cancelled so if you can consider flying in a ocuple of days early. Flights home can get distrupted too so consider how flexible you can be.

And as the previous poster wrote, many car were destroyed in Galvaston that were parked at the pier, so if you'll be driving think about parking a little inland, maybe at at Park 'n Cruise hotel lot.

"Stuff" can happen anytime when we travel, so just consider ahead of time how you might deal with changes, and go have a great, great time!!!

Archived