PH butler

searanch queen

There are a number of threads on this subject already.

We have rarely used our butler. We will order the afternoon hors d'oeuvres. When I was incapacitated with a blown out knee, we had most breakfasts and some lunches in our cabin. Howard searched for reasons to use him and had his shoes shined.

You pay tips by "automatic withdrawal" along with other tips. If you want to give him more, you are free to do so. Quite frankly, we haven't done so because we really don't use them enough to justify the tips that are "withdrawn". But if we did, I imagine we'd just give cash.

I'm sure others will chip in with their suggestions!

If you have ever had a "butler" please give me tips on how best to utilize one and how do you tip one?

Deb

My trip was port intensive so I frequently ate in my cabin from the specialty restaurant menus. Coffee was delivered early am and didn't have to get out of bed. I wanted to take him home :) Munchies in the afternoon and Georgio would always have a bottle of wine chilled when we returned from a tour. He made reservations for Polo and Toscana and would advise when there were openings in the event we wanted another wonderful dinner in the restaurant. For me it was worth every penny.:D

If you have ever had a "butler" please give me tips on how best to utilize one and how do you tip one?

Deb

For us, the butler represented breakfast in the morning and brie in the afternoon. He will also facilitate any gatherings in your suite by providing extra glassware and munchies, ice buckets for wine, etc. And he has good advice about ports, will make/change dinner reservations, serve you dinner from specialty restaurants in your suite, and will generally make your life easier. :) Enjoy!

Deb

We frequently eat dinner or breakfast in our OS and the butler service is not to be missed. We also often get tea or coffee some time during the day if we're reading or relaxing. We don't bother with the afternoon snacks but he does always see to it that we have green apples and other fruit, bread sticks and ginger on hand. We do tip generously at the end of our cruises. It has been a wonderful experience to have butlers and we too would like to take them home with us.:D

Similar to what others have already said:

- breakfast every morning except for the last day

- dinner from specialty restaurant menus several nights after long days

- extra snacks/drinks/glasses for get-together we hosted in our room

- refilled the fridge with specifically requested items

- put our wine on ice around 4pm ready for our return from touring

- made extra reservations for us and new friends in specialty restaurants

- nice to chat with about upcoming locations

The first two items were far and away the most enjoyed of the bunch.

Deb

We were embarrassed by our butler. We didn't want anything from him. We prefer to be out and about the ship. Therefore no extra tip required.

Deb

We like to think of our Butler as a buffer between us and the cold cruel World.

As the Butlers are famililiar with the way that life works on the ship in a way that we landlubbers can never hope to be, simply tell your Butler what you would like to accomplish, and leave the details to him. He will find a way to make it work.

On Embarkation day, your Butler will typically ask to sit down with you, in your suite, to discuss your expectations and the scope of his duties. Many experienced cruisers are tempted to waive him away; don't do it. Not only is the role of the Butler constantly morphing, but the Butler needs to estimate how much face time you'll be expecting.

Some people, as has been outlined by this thread, don't feel comfortable with having a butler, and prefer that his services be provided behind the scenes. Others of us are more demanding.

We fall into the demanding group, so we typically tip the Butler, at that embarkation day meeting, with a sum that we figure to be about 50% of the total tip that he will receive from us.

After that, we are generally VERY popular with him, and seldom have to repeat a request twice.

We always say that if the service did not remain stellar, that we would not tip anything further at disembarkation, but frankly we have been so well served that it has never been an issue.

**NOTE** We use the pronoun "he" here for ease of use, despite being aware that there are several female Butlers employed by Oceania.

We like to think of our Butler as a buffer between us and the cold cruel World.

As the Butlers are famililiar with the way that life works on the ship in a way that we landlubbers can never hope to be, simply tell your Butler what you would like to accomplish, and leave the details to him. He will find a way to make it work.

We fall into the demanding group, so we typically tip the Butler, at that embarkation day meeting, with a sum that we figure to be about 50% of the total tip that he will receive from us.

After that, we are generally VERY popular with him, and seldom have to repeat a request twice.

We always say that if the service did not remain stellar, that we would not tip anything further at disembarkation, but frankly we have been so well served that it has never been an issue.

**NOTE** We use the pronoun "he" here for ease of use, despite being aware that there are several female Butlers employed by Oceania.

We have never seen a female butler but do look forward to one maybe on a future cruise. It will be interesting to see one hold a full tray of dinner dishes while she talks to us about her family back home or their visit to the ship!;)

[From what I am reading here, I get the impression that if booked into a PH, it is NOT necessary to make reservations at the Specialty restaurants ahead of sailing.

In addition, as a vegan, which of the Specialty Restaurants would be best able to accommodate me? In the past, we made them the first day, (we had upgraded

balcony suites). This (July 15th, Northern Lights) will be our first PH experience. and the reasons we upgraded were for a larger bathroom, more walking room, and mainly, there are no regular balcony suites with comfortable reading chairs. With 2 weeks on board, these will make a difference.

I hesitated only because I like a stall shower and it seems as if there is only a tub in the PH.Climbing in and out of a tub...

Our suite on our xmas family cruise (Royal Carib) had a bathroom with 2 sinks.. and plenty of room for 2 to use it at the same time.. That was perfect!! Also, the bed area had a curtain to seperate it from the rest of the suite so that one could sleep in the dark while the other dressed, etc. I like to get up and work out very early and previous Oceania/Renaissance cruises, I have to tip toe around not to wake up my hubby.

The original Renaissance ships, 120 passengers which we loved... also had a curtain dividing the bed area.

...From what I am reading here, I get the impression that if booked into a PH, it is NOT necessary to make reservations at the Specialty restaurants ahead of sailing...

It's not necessary at any level. You are guaranteed a certain number of reservations based on your cabin category, and you will get at least that many regardless of when you make the reservations.

I think they must hold back some reservations for on board booking, because we have always been able to get the reservations we want. I made basic reservations on Marina ahead of time for the Maiden voyage but got more once on board. However, I didn't make any ahead for the next leg to San Francisco -- I just sat down with the cute and hard working young lady who handled the reservations and picked them out on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise. Later, I got more reservations, no problem.

One piece of advice my very experienced travel agent gave me when I first started to sail Oceania was to not overly worry about the reservations. In those days, people rushed to make their reservations as soon as they got on board. I followed her advice and waited a day or two and never had a problem.

The only difference between having a butler or not having a butler is that a butler can make your reservations for you. Some people have reported that their butler can work magic and get reservations that others might not; I know that on Marina, some suite guests were told by their butler that it was impossible to get a certain reservation.

In addition, as a vegan, which of the Specialty Restaurants would be best able to accommodate me? In the past, we made them the first day, (we had upgraded

balcony suites).

I would have your TA contact Oceania well in advance & make a note on your file that you are VEGAN

If you require special food that can be arranged as long as you notify them 60 days prior

You can talk to the chef onboard & they will make sure no matter where you eat there will be something for you.

Polo I would think would be more difficult but you can see the menus online

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/default.aspx

Archived