luggage tag tips

Jacqueline

Just a thought. I always attach my luggage tags for the cruise before flying because if the airline misplaces my bags:eek: they are responsible for getting them to me--hopefully. In addition, I leave an itinerary, cell number, name, etc. on a large piece of paper in my bag. Arriving without luggage is every traveler's nightmare!

[quote name='5:00_Somewhere']
And, if you're flying to the embarkation port, it is best not to attach your cruise luggage tags until after you land/just before leaving for the port, so as not to risk losing them in flight.[/quote]I respectfully disagree with this.

We had one cruise which, due to in-flight delays, got us to FLL just past the time when the ship should have sailed. We were asked "Would you like to make the ship, or wait for you luggage?" We chose the ship.

Only because we had put our luggage tags on before leaving home were the Princess personnel able to identify the luggage and get it to the pier. Our luggage became the last thing placed onboard before they closed the doors and we sailed.

That's the value of having tags put on before leaving home, like Princess recommends.

( and yes, we've had long discussions about flying in the day before - for that cruise it was not an option.)

[quote name='Times Prince']I respectfully disagree with this.

We had one cruise which, due to in-flight delays, got us to FLL just past the time when the ship should have sailed. We were asked "Would you like to make the ship, or wait for you luggage?" We chose the ship.

Only because we had put our luggage tags on before leaving home were the Princess personnel able to identify the luggage and get it to the pier. Our luggage became the last thing placed onboard before they closed the doors and we sailed.

That's the value of having tags put on before leaving home, like Princess recommends.

( and yes, we've had long discussions about flying in the day before - for that cruise it was not an option.)[/quote]

[SIZE=4]I agree wholeheartedly with this, we have also had the experience where our bags have been tagged "PRIORITY" by the airline when they have seen our cruise tags.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Jacqueline']Thanks everybody. I guess that they are stronger than they look![/QUOTE]

Just in case, put all your personal information including your cabin number on a sheet of paper inside the suitcase.

DON

[quote name='Putterdude'][SIZE=4]I agree wholeheartedly with this, we have also had the experience where our bags have been tagged "PRIORITY" by the airline when they have seen our cruise tags.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info about luggage tags. We will make sure we have our cruise tags prominently displayed when we fly to Sydney for our RTW cruise. We have always put our info inside our cases.

We would NEVER fly in at the last moment, but this time we have no choice as Princess has arranged our air travel. We arrive at noon for a 1600 departure. Hope they do helicopter transfers onto the ships as well as off them!! GC

The nice thing about the Favors By Serendipity tag holders is they email a document to you that says "Itinerary" on the outside and you put all your information on the inside (out of view from the public). Underneath "Itinerary" are instructions for baggage handlers to open in case your luggage gets lost. I've put all my ports and the ship information inside this document, so the airlines can figure out exactly where we are and when and hopefully find me if the luggage misses the ship. I don't put our home address and phone number in there, but I do put our cell number, office number,and travel agent's number.

[quote name='caribill']However, many people are not or do not have printers at home.

One of our travel agents told me that over half of her clients do not have home computers. This means that the travel agent, with no compensation from Princess for time and materials, is printing out and distributing luggage tags for over half of her clients.[/QUOTE]Not sure about the 50% but this is quite true. I am the email contact for my sister (and my BIL when he was alive), do all her Personalizer entering, print out booking confirmations, luggage tags, shore excursion options, boarding passes, hotel reservations and confirmations, and airline reservations and passes. And, she's definitely not alone.

[quote name='jean95404']Do a fanfold of the whole print out page ending where the cabin number, etc are visible. It will make it thick enough to withstand handling. And get one of those little pocket staplers (about a $1) and staple the luggage tags on at the dock. First time I had the paper tags I used clear strapping tape for strength and found I didn't need it.[/quote]

Does anyone know how TSA feels about staplers? I would rather put it in my carryon but don't want it confiscated...

[quote name='caribill']Bviously those of us posting here are computer literate and printing luggage tags at home is not a problem.'

However, many people are not or do not have printers at home.

One of our travel agents told me that over half of her clients do not have home computers. This means that the travel agent, with no compensation from Princess for time and materials, is printing out and distributing luggage tags for over half of her clients.

I guess the travel agents must also "accept it" as the new way.[/quote]

I confess this is a very valid point.

In all honesty, I wish there were a place where on your Cruise Personalizer (or through a TA) you could request printed documents (including luggage tags.)

Also, I want to apologize to everyone for my uncharacteristically ascerbic post yesterday morning. Quite unlike me. I guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed or something. Hope you'll forgive me. :o And now I return you to your regularly scheduled conversation.

[quote name='Times Prince']I respectfully disagree with this.

( and yes, we've had long discussions about flying in the day before - for that cruise it was not an option.)[/quote]

[quote name='Putterdude'][SIZE=4]I agree wholeheartedly with this, we have also had the experience where our bags have been tagged "PRIORITY" by the airline when they have seen our cruise tags.[/SIZE][/quote]

thanks and thanks! :)

Prior to reading this thread, I was planning to not attach my luggage tags in advance (thinking the airlines would get confused). Now I'm changing my mind to install them today! (first time cruiser, flying/sailing tomorrow)

Well then, if you're attaching your luggage tags before flying from home, I recommend bringing extras, because I've spoken with several people aboard ship who had problems with them being torn off (whether intentionally or by accident) in route on the airlines (and that's both the old ones and the new self-printed ones.) Guess there's no harm in doing both, just to be safe.

[quote name='Putterdude'][SIZE=4]I agree with what you have said....but after spending thousands of dollars of money on a cruise vacation, why should we have to?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]After spending thousands of dollars on the cruise unless you have a computer Princess doesn't even write to say thank-you...but they can sure spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (likely millions) filling your mail box with unwanted junk mail promoting themselves. They have no hesitation in putting all kinds of unwanted leaflets in your cabin ... but they can spend an extra dollar to send their customer a letter of thanks and a few crummy luggage tags....NO. Instead, like a bunch of sheep we use our paper, our ink, our tape, go to Kinkos and have them plasticized, purchase nice little pouches, buy mini-staplers to carry in our luggage, or borrow staplers from hotel front desks, punch holes, buy cable ties all to prefect a luggage tag that Princess should be providing in the first place. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Put me down as undecided on the subject.[/SIZE]
[/quote]

Even though I have the little laminating pouches and laminate my tags at home, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you write here. It's a bit of a PITA.

I don't care about the booklets they used to send out, just send us some dang luggage tags :p

I must get 2-4 mailers a day from cruise lines...they all go into the recycle bin. I can only imagine what they spend on those!

[quote name='Happy ks']Even though I have the little laminating pouches and laminate my tags at home, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you write here. It's a bit of a PITA.

I don't care about the booklets they used to send out, just send us some dang luggage tags :p

I must get 2-4 mailers a day from cruise lines...they all go into the recycle bin. I can only imagine what they spend on those![/quote]

After just finishing the tape "lamination" process; I have to agree...

[quote name='cowprintrabbit']Does anyone know how TSA feels about staplers? I would rather put it in my carryon but don't want it confiscated...[/quote]

[SIZE=4]Don't know but I held my nose and with clinched teeth I purchased one of the these Swingline Tots for a couple of dollars at WalMart and just keep it our checked luggage.[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=productsearch&cd=7&ved=0CHYQ9gIwBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.csnstores.com%2Fasp%2Fsuperbrowse.asp%3Fclid%3D2846%26caid%3D%26sku%3DZBO1165%26refid%3DFR49-ZBO1165&ei=WdyCTYqfG4v4swOy9On_AQ&usg=AFQjCNEZ7lCex9YJMOXTtYORTZfVOjLLkQ&sig2=1vl5z8Nbr4denzMnlbtfSQ"][IMG]http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/701Hw-mjjzdqzT6VM3oHUBZDrS6CLmvrbeVi6elKro9FxQAg2mdP8rnrDrrQUuA7r4bMcHuUfwrhZBmNQHr84thRQNeQR5qcJMniLH9u7dtYBG2QSy4D6WURrumSx6L8B98ZLLunTodVO8F-qUnlueh6-En-zkGzT4IrilWRSv2ZGm8j3kQg0lpsntDb7DJBztNjAvnjZ9H8AkG9NBPB=s90[/IMG][/URL]

Archived