luggage tag tips

Jacqueline

First time with these printed ones.... Any suggestions?

Do a fanfold of the whole print out page ending where the cabin number, etc are visible. It will make it thick enough to withstand handling. And get one of those little pocket staplers (about a $1) and staple the luggage tags on at the dock. First time I had the paper tags I used clear strapping tape for strength and found I didn't need it.

First time with these printed ones.... Any suggestions?
They work fine when folded and stapes to your luggage handle. Some people put clear strapping tape over the tag, punch a hole and attach with a twist-tie. You can also purchase luggage tag holders designed for the folded tags. CC won't allow me to post the URL so I'll try this another way: http://www.***.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html where the *** is, put favors by serendipity without the spaces.

We have now tried just the folded paper, pseudo-laminating them in clear packing tape and using the vinyl holders Pam mentioned. The paper worked just fine in our experience, and was surprisingly strong when folded as indicated on the printed page, but we have heard they can tear if it rains. The packing tape was simple, cheap and worked great, and added protection from rain. I'm sure the hole punch and twist tie method would work fine. But, we bought a little tiny stapler at a drug store that we keep in or luggage, and that worked great. Plus, in our experience the porters at the pier have always had staplers, but it can be such a mad rush with the bags there, we preferred buying our own (it was no more than $3.00 if memory serves.)

The purchased pouches are the most convenient, without doubt, but not at all necessary.

And, if you're flying to the embarkation port, it is best not to attach your cruise luggage tags until after you land/just before leaving for the port, so as not to risk losing them in flight.

Hope that helps, and happy cruising!!!

I do the package sealing tape thing, and mine always arrive in my cabin intact.

Since I usually have to fly to the embarkation port city, rather then messing with packing a stapler or asking to borrow one from the front desk at the hotel, I stick a couple of extra pieces of the packaging tape to a sheet of wax paper and place that in my suitcase with the tags, so I can secure the tags to my bag's handles at the hotel the morning of boarding.

Found these on Amazon

(put the Amazon.com address in and add the following line)

/Fellowes-Laminating-Pouches-Luggage-52003/dp/B00004TS6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300198334&sr=8-1

Much cheaper cost wise, but not sure if they will be large enough to handle the luggage tags. Anyone have a dimension on the luggage tags themselves?

Edit: Let's see if the link continues working below:

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Laminating-Pouches-Luggage-52003/dp/B00004TS6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300198334&sr=8-1

I don't know if they will allow me to post this link:

https://www.laminator.com/P~N~Special_Sale-Luggage_Tag_Laminating_Pouches_PLUS_Plastic_Loops__W_LUG-10_and_378336~id~7533.htm

It's laminator dot com and I searched for "luggage tag". They had a special for 100 tags with straps for $9.99 plus shipping, I also purchased a laminator from them for $14.99, so the whole thing came to around $33.0. I will use the laminator for one of my jobs, so I didn't purchase it for the sole purpose of laminating luggage tags :p

https://www.laminator.com/P~N~Product~id~10167.htm

Just an FYI, the luggage tag laminating pouches come with a cardboard sleeve to feed through the laminator. I have used my clothing iron at home with good results.

While 100 tags seem like a lot, we do cruise often enough to use them and this next cruise there are 15 of us going, famili and friends. I will laminate all their tags this time, I have some medical leave time so it will give me something to do ;)

Found these on Amazon

(put the Amazon.com address in and add the following line)

/Fellowes-Laminating-Pouches-Luggage-52003/dp/B00004TS6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300198334&sr=8-1

Much cheaper cost wise, but not sure if they will be large enough to handle the luggage tags. Anyone have a dimension on the luggage tags themselves?

Edit: Let's see if the link continues working below:

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Laminating-Pouches-Luggage-52003/dp/B00004TS6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300198334&sr=8-1

These are supplies for laminating luggage tags if you already own a laminator.

They work fine when folded and stapes to your luggage handle. Some people put clear strapping tape over the tag, punch a hole and attach with a twist-tie. You can also purchase luggage tag holders designed for the folded tags. CC won't allow me to post the URL so I'll try this another way: http://www.***.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html where the *** is, put favors by serendipity without the spaces.

Pam you’re the best. You found a loop hole. Wish you could find one to recommend a TA. :D I saved the site to my favorites before CC catches on and deletes your post. To the OP I like to use the clear packing tape. It will protect the ink on the tag from running in case your luggage is left in the rain while loading it either at the airport or the dock.

Fold per the instructions on the printed tag. It will be strongt enough.

To attached to luggage, punch a hole and tie to the luggage with either a twist tie or an electrical tie.

Just recently returned from 10 day Panama Canal out of FLL, did everything per instructions. Tag was sturdy but we put clear packing tape on anyway, then punched a hole in each and used twist ties. Worked perfectly!

love2cruisegal,

I take it you just wrap the packing tape around the tag like you were laminating it -- correct?

The entire tag should be encased in clear packing tape then.

I just put the tape on the printed side, folded in half as indicated, punched hole and used twist tie. Actually I did all this before we flew to FLL and had them ready to go in my travel folder and then the morning before leaving hotel for the pier, just tied the tags to the luggage and we were off! Worked great and they arrived in our cabin just perfectly! And if it had rained, they should have stayed dry.

I guess I'm different from everyone else, but my tags stayed on fine.

I just printed my tags from my computer. Folded by the instructions, then used regular "Scotch" tape winding around the whole length, then put it through the handle, and scotched tape the ends together, and they work fine for me.

The other suggestions were good to, but I just used what I had at home.:)

love2cruisegal,

I take it you just wrap the packing tape around the tag like you were laminating it -- correct?

P.S. This luggage tag question has come up many times since I first logged on to cruise critic and I just followed others advice and found out that it works. Hope it works for you too, NJRonbo. :)

love2cruisegal,

That's what we did and it worked perfectly.

We cut the the tag, itself, from the paper and spread it out on a (clean) kitchen counter; adhered clear packing tape over it so that the tape extended beyond all the edges of the tag (if I remember correctly, it took 2 strips of tape per side; flipped it over and did the same on the other side; and then trimmed the ends (just to make it nice and even.) Worked like a charm. This assured that it was completely protected from water. Poor man's (or should I say frugal person's) lamination. ;)

We print them out on Photo paper in the printer-punch a hole through them and attach onto the luggage with plastic ties the day we embark-works everytime-never had a problem.

I have also bought clear plastic holders for the tags as well and they work very well.

Archived