Black & White Ball

Cruise Fanatic

Does HAL still have the Black and White Balls? I know that on one of our 10 day and several 2 week cruises, they did have the B&W Ball.

My partner and I will be on the Oct 22, 2011 cruise to Hawaii on the "O" and since there are a number of sea days it would be nice if they had one.

Does HAL still have the Black and White Balls? I know that on one of our 10 day and several 2 week cruises, they did have the B&W Ball.

My partner and I will be on the Oct 22, 2011 cruise to Hawaii on the "O" and since there are a number of sea days it would be nice if they had one.

Yep, had one on Zaandam's 15-Day Circle Hawaii cruise back in NOV 09. It took place in the Crow's Nest

IMG_0147.jpg?t=1300305316

IMG_0149.jpg?t=1300305385

Plus had one on Prinsendam's 14-Day Taste of Europe cruise. which took place in PRDM's main show lounge. Bottom line;) They're still being held! It's up to your individual Capt. + HM when/if to have one. On the shorter 7- or 10-day cruises, they have, at times, had a scaled-down version of the B&W Ball called "Officer's Night Out"

Prinsendam42Day9CaptGundersonattheentryoftheofficers.jpg?t=1300306533

Prinsendam45Day9ThePrinsendamsofficers.jpg?t=1300306680

Just checked my copy of the Explorer.

Ours on the 10-day Zuiderdam was called "Black and White Officers' Ball" and held in the Crow's Nest at 10:15pm on the last Formal Night with Captain Christopher Turner.

We enjoyed a Black and White Ball on the Prinsendam, last July, while aboard a 23 day cruise to the "Top of the World." It was a great festive occasion held in the Show Lounge. It was a great deal of fun.

We had a Black and White Ball aboard the Zaandam while cruising back to the Mainland from the Hawaiian Islands in February 2010. This dance was held in the Crows Nest. Mom and I had a wonderful time and we danced until her feet couldn't take any more.

We had a Black and White Ball aboard the Rotterdam while crossing to the States from Europe in November 2009.

There have been Black and White Balls on some of the 10-day cruises I've taken aboard the Noordam and Volendam, though these affairs have varied from well attended by officers and passengers to poorly attended.

Is there a way to find out in advance if a Black&White ball, or any other theme night, will be held on a cruise? We have a 35-day on Prinsendam this fall and knowing in advance would certainly help our planning!

We've been on multiple HAL cruises but the only B&W ball was three years ago on the Zuiderdam in the Queen's Lounge. Lots of folks attended and danced. It was a great time. Hope they have one on our cruse on the Amsterdam to Alaska in September.

Is there a way to find out in advance if a Black&White ball, or any other theme night, will be held on a cruise? We have a 35-day on Prinsendam this fall and knowing in advance would certainly help our planning!

Dear Lady Chew (and fellow cruiser) on your 35 day and on the Prisendam i would nearly bet money that there will be one. ;) The smaller older ships tend to do these things.

And, with the Prisendam in a class by herself and with two tremendous captains - I would prepare :) for it - we might not see it (just 20 days), but I am sure you will :):)

Yes, I agree the B&W sounds like fun ... I'm just wondering if there will be any other special theme nights?? I guess I'll just have to be surprised!

When we sailed out of Venice last time, they had a masque competition and dance. Everyone who bought a mask in Venice was to bring it and wear it. some nice prizes.

I think you could email HAL - the ship's co-ordinators might be able to tell you if there is anything planned - probably too early at this stage - but maybe around 3 months out? The worst they can say is 'we can't tell you'.

Good luck:)

Jacqui

We've been on multiple HAL cruises but the only B&W ball was three years ago on the Zuiderdam in the Queen's Lounge. Lots of folks attended and danced. It was a great time. Hope they have one on our cruse on the Amsterdam to Alaska in September.

sorry i didn't get back to you sooner -- but i had to wait for a couple of pm messages from people i know on other sites who did this cruise last year

there was no black and white ball

there will be 2 nights when the le cirque dinner is offered -- the evening of icy straight point and the evening of sitka

hopefully we will be doing this cruise in june and have chosen not to do le cirque on this cruise

a few years ago the evening of icy straight point -- our captain on the statendam chose to hang around there for a couple of hours in the evening -- we saw lots of whales

since we are staying in sitka until 5 pm -- we don't want to be rushed getting for dinner that evening

Archived