Messina vs Taormina

tech40

I just looked at another post where there were pictures of Messina and it looked like a lovely city. I have read a couple of travel books that lead me to believe it was industrial and hideous.

I also read here that Taormina is not to be missed but I'm not sure why ? We dock at 10 am and if the shops close up at 1pm it doesn't seem like alot of time there once we trave from the ship.

What would I be missing if I chose to do Messina instead of Taormina ?

You are asking very good questions. We have been to Taormina twice, and spent a full day in Messina on one cruise. Given a choice we would always prefer Taormina because its a small resort town that is just cute! It also has the Greco-Roman theater which is really a well preserved ruin (still in use for some ocassions). If you take a tour to Taormina you would be at the town by 11:30 so there would still be plenty of time before shops closed (we think an independent excursion is perfect in this situation). You could also get together with others via the Roll Call board and hire a private car. Using public transit is not real practical with your time frame although its doable.

As to Messina, the pier is within walking distance to most of the city. Most head over to the Cathedral and the famous clock that is located at that site. If you do stay in Messina you want to be at the clock at noon when it puts on an historic show. Other then the Cathedral you can just walk around the city and perhaps enjoy a nice lunch. I guess a comparison might be summed up by DW. She is sitting near me at the moment and I ask her what she would do. Her answer was "what's in Messina?"

Hank

We have been to both. We spent the day in Messina when the road to Taromina was washed out. Here are my pictures of Messina starting with #129 and going to #150.

http://cid-1e98e90214e77bf9.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Med%20Cruise%20Sept%202009/P1040017.jpg

We really enjoyed Taromina with beautiful views and fantastic Greek theater. Here are my pictures of Taomina.

http://cid-1e98e90214e77bf9.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Az%20Quest%209-20-10%20Taormina

Hello!

In Taormina there is the beautiful panorama on the bay of Giardini Naxos and Mt.Etna, The Greek Anfitheater and Corso Umberto, a long way with shops and cafes.

Messina (my city...:D) is a fantastic town, just after a few steps from the ship there are the Cathedral with its magnificent bell tower, the Sacrary of Cristo Re, with beautiful views on the Strait of Messina and the port, the Montalto church, many other historic curches and streets full of shops, like Viale San Martino.

By tram or bus you can also go to the Regional Museum with works of Caravaggio and Antonello da Messina, the Ganzirri Lake and the northern riviera with splendid sand beaches.

If you have questions, I'm here!;)

Sorry for my poor English..........:o

We joined with 6 other people on our Roll Call and arranged the "Godfather Tour" through a company called SicilyLife. They picked nus up at the pier in Messina and took us into the mountains to several villages where the Godfather movies were filmed. We also went to Taormina and stopped for a great lunch. It was one of the best days of our European cruise.

EileenG ,thanks for posting your pictures of Taormina. It was your photos of Messina in a previous post that got me thinking of just staying in Messina.

Guizzo90 your English is perfect ! Could you recommend a pastry shop and a spot for lunch in Messina?

Thanks for all the responses. I will now figure out the best way to go to Taormina.

Roberta

I will be travelling with my husband 2 kids stopping in Messina for the day. My son will be 16 and not a fan of shopping or lots of sightseeing. My daughter will be 21 and while she is ok with the above, not a fan of lots of traveling and just being 'talked to'.

Any thoughts on what would be a good option in our case? Taormina sounds great but not sure we could keep everyone happy while there. My son I am sure would love to see Mt Etna, but once there ready to go and I've heard there really isn't much there to see.

Any recommendations are appreciated. If you have any private companies or tour guides that you can recommend as well please let me know.

We will there in August of this year. Thanks.

That "Godfather" tour sounds great. DO you mind telling me what the price per person was for that. We would be a group of 4 and arriving via cruise ship to Messina. Any more details would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

We have been to both. We spent the day in Messina when the road to Taromina was washed out. Here are my pictures of Messina starting with #129 and going to #150.

http://cid-1e98e90214e77bf9.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Med%20Cruise%20Sept%202009/P1040017.jpg

We really enjoyed Taromina with beautiful views and fantastic Greek theater. Here are my pictures of Taomina.

http://cid-1e98e90214e77bf9.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Az%20Quest%209-20-10%20Taormina

Thank you so much for posting these, Eileen! We have been to Messina before and after seeing your photos of Taormina, I really want to go there! :)

Hello!

In Taormina there is the beautiful panorama on the bay of Giardini Naxos and Mt.Etna, The Greek Anfitheater and Corso Umberto, a long way with shops and cafes.

Messina (my city...:D) is a fantastic town, just after a few steps from the ship there are the Cathedral with its magnificent bell tower, the Sacrary of Cristo Re, with beautiful views on the Strait of Messina and the port, the Montalto church, many other historic curches and streets full of shops, like Viale San Martino.

By tram or bus you can also go to the Regional Museum with works of Caravaggio and Antonello da Messina, the Ganzirri Lake and the northern riviera with splendid sand beaches.

If you have questions, I'm here!;)

Sorry for my poor English..........:o

You speak wonderful English! Gracias por su ayuda!:) We've been to Messina and had a wonderful time. I think we'll go to Taormina when we come in May!

I will be travelling with my husband 2 kids stopping in Messina for the day. My son will be 16 and not a fan of shopping or lots of sightseeing. My daughter will be 21 and while she is ok with the above, not a fan of lots of traveling and just being 'talked to'.

Any thoughts on what would be a good option in our case? Taormina sounds great but not sure we could keep everyone happy while there. My son I am sure would love to see Mt Etna, but once there ready to go and I've heard there really isn't much there to see.

Any recommendations are appreciated. If you have any private companies or tour guides that you can recommend as well please let me know.

We will there in August of this year. Thanks.

We would love to help but are puzzled as to what you like to do with your days. If you dislike shopping (many men dream of a wife that says this) and sightseeing, there is not much left except going to beach or having a nice long lunch in a decent cafe/restaurant. When I read your post to DW she smiled and said, "leave them home."

Hank

We would love to help but are puzzled as to what you like to do with your days. If you dislike shopping (many men dream of a wife that says this) and sightseeing, there is not much left except going to beach or having a nice long lunch in a decent cafe/restaurant. When I read your post to DW she smiled and said, "leave them home."

Hank

That's why my daughter and I often travel on our own! We both like to shop, DH will sit in a pub with a beer and be happy, but trying to accomodate the 16 year old boy is a difficult thing. DH and I have been to Europe before but never to anywhere in Italy (kids haven't been to Europe at all) so trying to get some ideas from people of what there is to do that would hopefully make everyone happy or at least not make someone miserable. We do cruises as my son knows he has time back on the ship to do his thing so 'puts up with' the port visits. Don't get me wrong, he does try to not be a pain so I do try to find some things that will be interesting to him. If he had his way he would stay on the ship, but sorry it is a family vacation and probably one of the last with the whole family so we all go to shore together.

if you travel during the summer Taormina will be perfect, kids could easly go to the beach with the cable car while you visit Taormina

How easy is this, exactly? Is it a quick ride and short walk to the beach? If anyone knows approx. how much it costs, that would be great.

Thanks!

Archived