Sapphire or Golden for Hawaii

Cat_Lover3

We are looking at doing the 14 day RT out of Los Angles in 2012. Can you get me some advice about which ship would be better for this itenary based on your experiences? Also which time of year is the best to do this cruise, weather wise. Thanks in advance.

We are looking at doing the 14 day RT out of Los Angles in 2012. Can you get me some advice about which ship would be better for this itenary based on your experiences? Also which time of year is the best to do this cruise, weather wise. Thanks in advance.

We were on the Golden on January 19th... What an exceptional cruise.

Staff was outstanding, food was wonderful, entertainment was good. The ship is beautiful.. The International Piazza is a great place to hang out with entertainment, vines wine bar and all that wonderful food at the cafe.. You do have to pay for coffee there. We were fortunate, our weather was perfect, every day in the 80's, but the cruise before ours did not go to 2 islands because of bad weather.

Right now I would suggest the better ship is the Golden. It has the International Cafe and Movie Under the Stars (if you are into that). But I understand these will be added while the Sapphire is in drydock in early 2012. The Golden has an excellent CD, Dave Cole. Hopefully, he will be still on the Golden next year. The Golden has 2 anytime dining MDR's. One is shared with traditional dining. It is open to ATD after a certain time .. like 7:30 or so. The Sapphire has 4 smaller ATD rooms one is also shared with traditional. The Sapphire is a little bigger. The Golden has the Vista Lounge in the rear of the ship. The Sapphire has Club Fusion ... IMHO the Vista is better designed. I have been told the Golden has more and better Hawaii activies if you are interested in that. For 2012 I would pick the ship with the best dates for you. All things being even I would pick the Golden and hope Cole is the CD. Both of them are great ships!!!

I have been on both ships multiple times, and I am doing the Golden's Hawaii itinerary for the fourth time in a couple of weeks -- although my first Hawaii itinerary was the Sapphire's sister ship, the Diamond.

There are a couple of things I prefer on the Sapphire -- it has a much nicer gym and internet cafe. But for doing Hawaii, I think there is no comparison. Not only does the Golden have David Cole, but it also has Elua (a husband/wife duo) -- they teach hula and ukulele, and the Golden also offers lei making and more Hawaiian cultural activities. Plus, the International Cafe is wonderful -- you can't beat those fresh baked cookies. It isn't even a close call -- choose the Golden.

I have a strong preference for the Sapphire, I like the 5 dining venues, 4 of which are themed, the fact that all 4 aft elevators go down to the MDR and there are restrooms right outside the MDR. On the Golden only 2 of the aft elevators go down to the MDR and the restrooms are one deck up, both are major design flaws in the Grand class ships. The public areas on the Sapphire feel larger and the flow of people around the ship seems better. I know the Golden had the IC and Vines but I can live without them.

The Golden does Hawaii exclusively during the season, whereas the Sapphire alternates with Mexico. The Golden has a very extensive cultural Hawaiian program in place. It includes lei making classes, hula lessons and ukulele classes. The husband and wife team of Elua conduct most of these. Plus, they're wonderful musicians. They play beautiful Hawaiian melodies every day. Here the are performing in the Piazza:

5454175824_4f303eafc9_z.jpg

We are planning to go on the Golden to Hawaii on 9 November 2011. What is the weather like at this time of year? How do we find out who the CD will be on this cruise? Which side of the ship is best?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Addie Francis

Good Afternoon,

Was reading about hawaii but no one answered the question about the best time to cruise there.

The best time is when you get lucky to have great weather at a great price. :D

Seriously, most of the weather in Hawaii during the winter is similar...the tradewinds only blow about 50% of the time so it can be more humid & feel warmer without those cooling winds. Generally storms come from the southwest on Kona winds when even dry areas of the Islands can get a soaking. Whales are plentiful in the middle of winter but I've seen a few earlybirds in October & a few stragglers still around in early May.

So I'd say that anytime you can take a cruise at a good price for you would be the best time to sail to Hawaii.

I've enjoyed both ships but prefer the Golden for the reasons mentioned particularly for the Hawaiian experience led by Elua. In January the Sapphire will be in drydock for most of the month to update it so that would be nice. While I've never sailed pre (will on the Crown in October) or post drydock some who have say that it could have an affect on those cruises...but not always. Although from those who have such experiences it sounds like it's more likely to affect the 1st post-drydock cruise...but not always. ;)

We are planning to go on the Golden to Hawaii on 9 November 2011. What is the weather like at this time of year? How do we find out who the CD will be on this cruise? Which side of the ship is best?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Addie Francis

We sailed the Golden from November 24th to December 8th and enjoyed our cruise. As in my previous post, weather is generally pleasant & nothing I'm ever concerned about. When staying in Maui, January is my favorite month...highs in the upper 70s to low 80s with lows in the 60s...just perfect for me. And it's also a slow time for tourism thus less crowds is an additional bonus. Since you're talking about a early November you'd likely have similar conditions as we did on our cruise last year. Cool leaving LA & then generally nice weather but don't expect too much heat like in Hawaii while crossing the Pacific. We had some rough seas heading home when winds were hitting the left rear of the ship making for some rocking & rolling. But cruises before & after had very smooth seas...so like anything having to do with weather there are no quarantees. I would not hesitate to go anytime of the year!

I don't think which side of the ship is too important...starboard gives you sun to Hawaii but on a shadier side coming home...it's just a matter of preferrence for you.

On our cruise, the regular CD David Cole was gone for the holidays but with Elua onboard the great Hawaiian experience continued! :D

The Golden does Hawaii exclusively during the season, whereas the Sapphire alternates with Mexico. The Golden has a very extensive cultural Hawaiian program in place. It includes lei making classes, hula lessons and ukulele classes. The husband and wife team of Elua conduct most of these. Plus, they're wonderful musicians. They play beautiful Hawaiian melodies every day. Here the are performing in the Piazza:

I heartily agree! Jasperdo, that is a great picture - Thank you for sharing it with us!

I am just off Sapphire's R/T Hawaii. I had not sailed Sapphire or Golden so I based my decision on what my preferences were. I do not like MUTS, I love thermal suite. This fit Sapphire. I started my trip with anytime dining which turned into "anytime you have a reservation", which is fine if someone had told us this right away instead of turning us away at 5:30 in every dining room each night for 3 nights. Finally I ask what do we need to do to eat at 5 or 6 instead of 7 or 8? Make a reservation 2-3 days ahead I was told, no more problems after that Food was just ok & breakfast at the buffet had cold eggs and hard, cold toast. I am telling you this so you are aware not to discourage you. I had a great time but wished I would have had these facts. Maybe it was just our cruise?? Sapphire has very good reviews and I thought the ship was great, not really crowded. We had lei making and Hawaiian music also. Staff on this ship were the best I have ever encountered. That is a real plus. We decided on Feb/March cruise as we wanted to see the whales, and we did! Weather was not the greatest but it was ok. Weather is a crap shoot anyway, you can't really predict it. Seas were not too bad going to & from. Maybe someone else on my cruise can comment with a different take on things. Hope this helps.

I also just got off the Sapphire Hawaii cruise and had a great time, but if I had to do over again I would choose the Golden for sure as they are geared up for the Hawaii run and the sapphire is not. There are a lot more Hawaiian themed activities on the Golden from what I have read. We chose the Sapphire because we love the ship but next time its the Golden for sure!:D

We are booked on Sapphire for April 14, 2012. We have sailed the Hawaii run twice before, both times in April.

IMO, there's less humidity for me in April.

Son and DIL are going with us, and they chose Sapphire. By that time, she will have finished drydock and all the kinks will have ironed out.

Pat

We've cruised to Hawaii 5 times, usually at the end of October or beginning of November. The weather has always been beauiful, save for a normal 15 minute Hawaiian shower at times. Take the Golden. It's a beautiful ship and reflects the Hawaiian culture since the LA-Hawaii route is all it does for half a year. Great crew and staff.

We did the Hawaiian cruise twice -- both times exactly five years apart. In 2005, there were some Hawaiian activities such as lei-making, but the team of Elua have really made it a cruise with a lot of "aloha." I have never seen such a cruise that makes the itinerary a huge part of the on-board experience (and I'm not considering the shore talks or pitches to go to certain stores a part of introducing the itinerary into the day-by-day activities).

Thanks for your replies. We have decided on the Golden February 29, 2012 cruise. Went to our TA and she found us a special on a BD balcony if we choose our cabin now. Would have been fine except the only cabins still avaiable were right by the stairs/elevators. So I looked into the mini suites. In the AE category there are only two cabins left, D733 and D732. I believe the balconies on these aren't covered. Also they only have the shower in the bathroom. Which would be fine if the location of the cabins is especially good. Anyone have comments on this? There were more choices in the AD category. All in the aft of the ship on the Emerald deck. The AE and AD are the same price. I emailed my TA and asked her to see if there are any specials. Anyone have any favorite cabins in the mini suites on the Emerald deck?

Thanks for your replies. We have decided on the Golden February 29, 2012 cruise.

Cat_Lover...now that you've made that decision, make sure you introduce yourself to the roll call...or start one yourself (as I didn't see the roll call already out there!)

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived