Why Has it been Choppy Sailing on Solstice?

Whinney374

Hi,

We are scheduled to sail in a few weeks on the Solstice out of FLL. Noticed a lot of comments about the first day or so being pretty rough seas on recent sails. Anyone know why? Is it just the time of year or just luck of the draw, or is it always like that out of FLL?

Thanks!

Robb

If you want to check out daily ocean wave height and wave directions you can go to this link

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

You'll probably have to click under the North Atlantic - the Southern Region link to access this information.

And if you press the java loop on the top right you'll get and idea of the "current" situation.

When I sailed on the Solstice last month it was smooth sailing all week.

Nothing would make me happier than a bit of rough/choppy seas for our Easter cruise on the Solstice.... it's the one thing I missed from our Equinox trip last Nov. Not the whole cruise,,,, but at least one night of feeling like I'm actually on a boat in the ocean....

On the first day the ship passed through the Florida Straits and it is always choppy there due to the direction of the current flow. All ships will notice this.

We were on the Oasis the week before our Solstice cruise. We had no issues on the Oasis the Captain even went out of the way on Friday so we would have smooth seas and sunshine. The Solstice on the first whole day was very very rocky. I thought the stabilizers were turned off as I did not feel the ship doing the slight 'catching' movement from the stabilizers,

We were on the Feb 6 sailing and this was the roughest of our 7 cruises. Even had the seasickness thing going on for the last sea day. Seems like there must be something going on this year and then add the Noro bug that is following Solstive. hmmm weird.

I'm wondering if what you describe is the use of the "wings" that stick out to keep the ship from rolling? When we were on the Equinox we had one day when the waves were a little rough and these "wings" (wish I knew what they are called) move up and down causing a feeling of chop.

It is due to 1) global warming, 2)the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, 3 A Democratic president in the USA, 4) A Republican majority in the House of Representatives, 5) The fact that the moon is closer to the Earth than in the last xxx years, 6) The US budget deficit, 7)Stuff (also known as ^%$&) happens.

Welcome to the world of Mother Nature, she may be a little less loving than your mother!

Hi,

We are scheduled to sail in a few weeks on the Solstice out of FLL. Noticed a lot of comments about the first day or so being pretty rough seas on recent sails. Anyone know why? Is it just the time of year or just luck of the draw, or is it always like that out of FLL?

Thanks!

Robb

I always think this is a crazy question. First of all, the Caribbean is one of the roughest waters to sail. I kept telling my BFF this and she didn't listen, went again and spent the entire time in her cabin sick. There are some sailings that aren't as rough as others, but you are traveling in some of the deepest waters out there. I don't have a problem with the boat rocking... but other sure do. The Caribbean, even though it sounds all pretty and blue and calm... isn't a smooth cruise. It's not always bad, but you will most likely feel the boat moving.

I LOVE to feel the boat sailing- nothing better then a moderate rockin and rollin. When it feels like you are at SEA. Those complainers about waves and rocking ships- well if one hates the feeling to be on the high seas- well there are nice land bassed Beach Resorts all over the globe!

Michael

I always think this is a crazy question. First of all, the Caribbean is one of the roughest waters to sail. I kept telling my BFF this and she didn't listen, went again and spent the entire time in her cabin sick. There are some sailings that aren't as rough as others, but you are traveling in some of the deepest waters out there. I don't have a problem with the boat rocking... but other sure do. The Caribbean, even though it sounds all pretty and blue and calm... isn't a smooth cruise. It's not always bad, but you will most likely feel the boat moving.

Other then or July med cruises the Caribbean have been The most calm compared to Alaska, eastern coast, and Hawaii

I'm wondering if what you describe is the use of the "wings" that stick out to keep the ship from rolling? When we were on the Equinox we had one day when the waves were a little rough and these "wings" (wish I knew what they are called) move up and down causing a feeling of chop.

Those wings are what is referred to as "stabilizers". They will help a little but won't eliminate all of the rocking of the ship. The faster the ship moves the more they help. In the grand scale of things even though a ship appears big it is very small in the ocean. Water is very powerful and so is the wind, the ship is no match for the energy of the sea.

Hi,

Thanks!

Robb

For the same very reason some flights you take are smooth and on others you encounter turbulance. It all depends on weather and air - or when cruising, sea - conditions. Also bear in mind that pax have different ideas about what exactly constitutes "rough seas" - for some it's light chop, for others it may be 3 - 6 ft. seas and for some, things don't get "rough" until 30 foot seas and hurricane force winds.

Archived