Royal Wedding on HAL

AncientWanderer

To the Westerdam passengers: We will get together on board and make plans for watching the wedding. Perhaps we can even get cake and champagne to feel as though we are there. I especially want to watch the expressions on Camilla's face, as she reminds me of Christabel in BORN TO BE BAD. I still blame her for Diana's death. She killed her same as if she ran her over herself. But that is another tower of suds...

No, No, No. Whatever you feel - and maybe you don't know the complete story - Camilla is becoming popular here. There is even talk of her being queen in the future. Both William and Harry seem to be very close with her so they obviously don't blame her for their mother's death - and it must be nice for them to see their father so obviously happy. The past is the past - let's look forward to a wonderful future for the happy couple now. We'll be here in London - maybe even on the Mall - cheering them on their way. Nobody does pomp and circumstance better than us Brits!

I do hope you can all see the ceremony wherever you are - on sea or land.

No, No, No. Whatever you feel - and maybe you don't know the complete story - Camilla is becoming popular here. There is even talk of her being queen in the future. Both William and Harry seem to be very close with her so they obviously don't blame her for their mother's death - and it must be nice for them to see their father so obviously happy. The past is the past - let's look forward to a wonderful future for the happy couple now. We'll be here in London - maybe even on the Mall - cheering them on their way. Nobody does pomp and circumstance better than us Brits!

I agree with you

Charles should have been with Camilla all these years but couldn't. And no matter how beautiful and wonderful, and vivacious and special Diana was , in Charles's heart ...she wasn't Camilla.

This time it will be different. Kate is Williams choice for a wife , not some Royal photo op.

I personally think all this pomp and pagentry is ridiculous , but deep down I wish them all the best and a long happy life together.

We are giving it a miss. Although we will be in London just prior to the event we have opted for a one week escape to Crete a few days before the event. I suspect that London will be crowded at this time.

Where we live in Canada we have not yet had the influx of the usual trinkets and trash souvenir items that one usually associates with these events. It looks like a non event so far in our part of the world.

I love all the pomp and ceremony and NO ONE does it better than the Brits!!!! I will not (willlingly) miss a single moment of the happy event.

I agree about Camilla appearing to be close with William and Harry and really enjoyed the video clip I saw of Katie lunching with Camilla. They seemed to get on wonderfully well together.

There's been enough pain in the House of Windsor. It's time for Joy!!

And what fun it will be for cruisers to watch with others who enjoy it the same as themselves.

Happy viewing, Happy cruisers. :)

JMO....

She's certainly not popular with people I know. She's known as Camilla the Camel. Whether or not she and Charles should have been together from the beginning didn't give him the right to muck up Diana's life. He'd made a commitment (which is what marriage is meant to be). There are many people hoping the Crown will go directly to William (poor soul).

......and here in the back of beyond Colonies (Canada) very few people really care save a few aging members of the Monarchist League or a few old darlings who yearn for the days when the I.O.D.E. (Independent Order of Daughters of the Empire) actually had a pulse. We are fortunate...we do not have to foot the bill for their extended family, their hangers on, their excesses, or anything else that they get up to.

......and here in the back of beyond Colonies (Canada) very few people really care save a few aging members of the Monarchist League or a few old darlings who yearn for the days when the I.O.D.E. (Independent Order of Daughters of the Empire) actually had a pulse. We are fortunate...we do not have to foot the bill for their extended family, their hangers on, their excesses, or anything else that they get up to.

Well you can call me an old darling if you wish but you don't speak for me or my friends.

Actually it is the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire. I still have my grandmother's pin.

Independent, Imperial whatever. As long as we do not have to pay the freight for the Royal Family I am happy. We foot the bill the Governors General and Lt. Governors Generral and that is enough.

My guess is that if we in Canada had to pay for that lot there would be a heck of an uproar.

Whether or not she and Charles should have been together from the beginning didn't give him the right to muck up Diana's life. He'd made a commitment (which is what marriage is meant to be).

It takes two to Marry and two to break up...

...but come to think of it - Who else but Harry in the Windsor lineage has red hair? Harry does look an awful lot like James Hewitt.

Harry gets his red hair from his Momma's side ,the Spencers ;)...he's looking more like Prince Charles as he ages.

I believe Diana and Charles only spent 24 days together (in total ) before they married...engagement of course was longer ..but these were actual days spent in each others company.

His search for a bride was complicated... I think Diana met many of the criteria... she was a mere 19 and had no idea what she was getting into...neither got what they bargained for:(

Will and Kate... nine years of fun and friendship and shared university memories...the math is much better for them.:)

Well you can call me an old darling if you wish but you don't speak for me or my friends.

Actually it is the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire. I still have my grandmother's pin.

Sapper,

Why are you still on the boards? Shouldn't you be checking (for the fourth time) that you have your tickets, passports, and embark documents ready to go, and have turned off the papers and post, and wound the cat, and packed the toothbrush?

Have a great time on Nieuw Amsterdam! I'm reminded of a silly song from years ago... "I'm off to sunny Spain, que viva, Espana."

Dave

Independent, Imperial whatever. As long as we do not have to pay the freight for the Royal Family I am happy. We foot the bill the Governors General and Lt. Governors Generral and that is enough.

My guess is that if we in Canada had to pay for that lot there would be a heck of an uproar.

Well I happily pay but I am now out of this discussion because what started as a nice happy thread about a happy subject is now turning nasty.

The number of "greats" in great grandfather are off, not the centuries... her 10th grandfather is my 9th greatgrandfather. He was one of the English settlers in Jamestown, VA.

That is fascinating. One of my ancestors, who was on the Mayflower, then went to Jamestown. Many of the colonists who were on the Mayflower to Plymouth did. My ancestor was Stephen Hopkins...haven't found any connection to royalty yet, though! ;)

Sapper,

Why are you still on the boards? Shouldn't you be checking (for the fourth time) that you have your tickets, passports, and embark documents ready to go, and have turned off the papers and post, and wound the cat, and packed the toothbrush?

Have a great time on Nieuw Amsterdam! I'm reminded of a silly song from years ago... "I'm off to sunny Spain, que viva, Espana."

Dave

Oh Dave---I have checked ten times for everything. The front hall looks as though we are moving out. I have three alarm clocks set and thanking my lucky stars that we are getting out one day ahead of the nasty snowstorm that is headed this way. I know we will have a wonderful time---can't believe it is finally here.

There is a large roll call so it should be a great meet and greet. We already have our set dining with Cristiano and ANSalberg and their spouses, plus another Aussie couple.

The song I am reminded of is "Have Some Madeira, My Dear". Remember that?

At the very least you will be able to view it on CNN in your cabin.

The wedding coincdes with our arrival in Venice so I plan to do a lot of ducking back and forth between the balcony and the TV in the cabin.

Oh, I'd stay outside! The wedding - or snippets of it - will be replayed. It's Venice ;) Ask someone to record it for you.

Sailing into Venice on a bright sunny day is one of my favorite 'sailing memories'. It is such an exquisite sight and shouldn't be missed IMO

You'll see plenty of replays of the wedding.

Oh, I'd stay outside! The wedding - or snippets of it - will be replayed. It's Venice ;) Ask someone to record it for you.

We'll see how it plays out. Choices!!!! Since we are staying on in Venice for a few days it is nor that vital to watch the arrival in its entirety.

Have made it as far as TO airport. The security lady at Saint John was very nice and called me dear as she processed us through. For the first time in ages we didn't set off any alarms and breezed right through.

After clearing US customs (not bad, friendly agent) and US security---a hassle with abrupt staff, we headed right for the Molson Pub and had lunch with a drink. The worst if over---that is until Paris DeGaulle, but that is over a month away.

We have 2 3/4 hours to kill here but have lots to read and am sitting next to a plug for my netbook----free wireless. The only stressor left is "will the luggage make it to Fort Lauderdale?"

Archived