Menu choices

Owlhelm

I've asked similar questions about the dining room menus before; apologies for needing further clarification. :confused:

If I don't fancy any of the menu's appetizers, would it be ok to ask for one of the 'alternatives' instead? Would I receive a smaller portion, or a full sized entree version?

I am a bit paranoid about ordering, and I know people have advised me not to stress, but I don't want to do anything wrong. That sounds really sad, but that's the way it is. :o

Cheers!

Martin.

I've asked similar questions about the dining room menus before; apologies for needing further clarification. :confused:

If I don't fancy any of the menu's appetizers, would it be ok to ask for one of the 'alternatives' instead? Would I receive a smaller portion, or a full sized entree version?

I am a bit paranoid about ordering, and I know people have advised me not to stress, but I don't want to do anything wrong. That sounds really sad, but that's the way it is. :o

Cheers!

Martin.

There is an always available menu listed on the left side of the menu (full sized portions). If you don't like anything on the regular menu, I am sure one of those tried and true favorites will be to your liking. And ordering them is as simple as ordering off the left side of the menu. ;) Nothing to stress about. ;)

Please do not stress.u r on vacation.Princess will do everything to get u whatever you ask for.That is their job.A lot of times if something is not available they will automatically bring it to u the next evening,if it available.

Just relax and enjoy!

Cheers!

Martin.

There is nothing you can do that would be considered "wrong". Not only can you order anything off of either side on the menu but if you really desire something you don't see just ASK. If they can't come up with it that night normally it will magically appear the next evening. And if it arrives in entree size, don't give it a second thought, just eat what you want. They will not make you take "home" a doggie bags with the left overs.

Martin I always went down to the dining room in the afternoon and checked out the menus they posted outside for that evening's meal. Based on what was posted I'd make a decision whether or not to go up to the Horizon Court buffet instead and have dinner where there's a lot more choices available. You're not obligated to eat in the main dining room especially if you're not going to be happy with that evening's choices.

There is an always available menu listed on the left side of the menu (full sized portions). If you don't like anything on the regular menu, I am sure one of those tried and true favorites will be to your liking. And ordering them is as simple as ordering off the left side of the menu. ;) Nothing to stress about. ;)
I agree. I often order the shrimp cocktail off the left-hand side of the menu and my nephews have been known to order pasta such as the futtucini Alfredo as an appetizer. It comes in a smaller portion. We've also spoken to the Maitre d' at night and asked for a special appetizer be made for us the next night. Just let your waitstaff know. As others have said, just ask.

Cheers!

Martin.

You need to cruise with me Martin, because I hardly ever order what's on the menu. Sometimes if I like a pasta I will ask for it as an appetizer. Most often I get chicken and broccoli or asparagus, even when those veggies are not listed. I also "create" my own salads. Nothing to worry about. Just ask, and ye shall receive. And, if something on the menu happens to appeal to me, I always need to doctor it a bit.

• 3 months later...

Still confused. I understand in the end, they'll do whatever you want them to do. But what is the intent of the Signature Pastas? Are they intended to be a alternative to the Main Courses? (Though you can also get them as an appetizer apparently)

Based on the sample menu, it seems one of the pastas is always Fettuccine Alfredo, while the other varies. So if they were intended as main courses, why didn't they just put the fettuccine under the Alternative Choices heading, and the pasta that changes under the Main Courses for that day? Perhaps the reason for listing pastas separately is that the knowledgeable diner (not myself obviously) will know that means they are available as either an appetizer or a main course.

Or is pasta intended as an additional course beyond appetizers, soup/salad, and main course? It doesn't seem like that could be the case, but I'm ignorant, so maybe it is.

(And yes, I know I can do anything and they won't blink an eye. But what would be normally expected, just so I know when I'm varying from the norm?)

Still confused. I understand in the end, they'll do whatever you want them to do. But what is the intent of the Signature Pastas? Are they intended to be a alternative to the Main Courses? (Though you can also get them as an appetizer apparently)

Based on the sample menu, it seems one of the pastas is always Fettuccine Alfredo, while the other varies. So if they were intended as main courses, why didn't they just put the fettuccine under the Alternative Choices heading, and the pasta that changes under the Main Courses for that day? Perhaps the reason for listing pastas separately is that the knowledgeable diner (not myself obviously) will know that means they are available as either an appetizer or a main course.

Or is pasta intended as an additional course beyond appetizers, soup/salad, and main course? It doesn't seem like that could be the case, but I'm ignorant, so maybe it is.

(And yes, I know I can do anything and they won't blink an eye. But what would be normally expected, just so I know when I'm varying from the norm?)

When you order a pasta your waiter will ask whether you want it as an appetizer or as a main. Or as a side dish to your main.

When you order a pasta your waiter will ask whether you want it as an appetizer or as a main. Or as a side dish to your main.

Ooooo....Now that's good information. (Not sure why, but my little mind grasped "appetizer or main course", but missed the "side dish" option). :)

Cheers!

Martin.

Absolutely no need to worry. You won't find a fussier eater than me. Can't abide any cheese, salad, things like that. I always found something to eat. If there was absolutely nothing i fancied from the 'main dishes' i would settle for my old faithful, Beef Medalions, from the 'always available' side of the menu.

I do like different soups, and it became a standing order......i would often order 2 soups (both the same usually) and eventually it got to a point were i didn't even have to ask the table waiters. They would have 2 brought up to the serving desk, just in case.

And don't forget.......even though it might not be on the menu, you can always ask for 'escargot'. The waiters will bring you your snails as ordered.......but definitely not an option for me......can't stand them, but plenty of people love them.

Pete.

If I don't like any of the posted appetizers, I just order the fettucine (YUM) and they bring a smaller portion, without any fuss whatsoever. On our last cruise, our waiter would ask me when I'd like my fettucine course :D

And don't forget.......even though it might not be on the menu, you can always ask for 'escargot'. The waiters will bring you your snails as ordered.......but definitely not an option for me......can't stand them, but plenty of people love them.

Pete.

What I've experienced is that if you ordered escargot or black & blue French onion soup, they would have it available for you the following night.

Just back from our most recent cruise where we were quite creative with the menu almost every night. Typically it could be something like -

-My wife would like a 1/2 portion of the entree shrimps but wthout the accommpianments as an appetizer, the onion soup without the cheese top, and the sole entree but substituting the rice with the couscous from the pork entree.

-I'll have the same but include the asparagus from the beef entree in my appetizer, and we'll split an order of the vegetarian entree , without it's accompianments as a side dish.

The fun part was the first time I ordered such a combination with one of our waiters I warned him we were probably going to be a pain in the a**. He delivered everything exactly as ordered and with a self satisfied smile informed us -"That was easy."

I replied I guess I'll have to try harder next time, and it almost became a bit of a game when we were back at his table in trying to get him to admit our mix and match selection was a challenge.

As long as you're courteous, not too ridiculous in your demands, and appreciative of their efforts most waiters actually seem to enjoy trying to do something special for you.

I frequently order different combinations than what is on the menu--asking for an extra side dish with my entree, for instance. Sometimes they'll put the serving on my plate, and other times it has come separately. I also will order appetizer portions of the pasta, especially at lunch.

So our last cruise was...years ago. Partly because of time & partly because of my husband's not taking a liking to the 'fancy' food as he calls it. I on the other hand was in food paradise! The fancier the better. Oh and escargot? Bring it on! So when we were discussing this cruise (150 days to go) he was a bit nervous about eating in the MDR every night. Having learned from the last time, there will be a few evenings we won't. BUT knowing that he can make his own meal will be a huge relief to him! If he wants Beef Medallions every night he can! Or pasta. This will make for a pleasant cruise for all of us! Myself included. Thanks for all the info & ideas to customize our meals! Now I really can't wait!!! :D

Archived