What do men Actually wear on Formal Night - 2011 poll

Times Prince

On Formal Nights on PRINCESS CRUISES ONLY I actually (or my male traveling companion)  

672 members have voted

1. 1. On Formal Nights on PRINCESS CRUISES ONLY I actually (or my male traveling companion)

• Choose to dress casual and/or do not eat in the main dining room on formal nights
    • wear a tuxedo to the main dining room.
    • wear a suit and tie to the main dining room
    • wear a sport coat/slacks with a tie to the main dining room
    • wear a military dress uniform (thanks for serving!)
    • wear formal ethnic/national/religious dress (e.g. Scottish Kilt, Islamic clothing, etc. )
    • wear a sport coat/slacks with open collar or turtleneck to the MDR
    • Do not wear a coat/tie and have NEVER been queried about dress code by the Maitre'D
    • Do not wear a coat/tie and HAVE been queried about dress code or been turned away by the Maitre'D
    • other - please comment

[quote name='Times Prince']The poll is anonymous, but the people posting in each thread can be found by clicking on the number of posts for the thread.

So, are we seeing the same people? Nope.[/quote]

Again, you're guessing. I'd be willing to bet I could guess a fair number of the people that have voted without leaving a comment just by the comment history here on CC. Yes, there are going to be a number of people that are newcomers that stop by and vote but there's also going to be the group of regulars that don't bother to leave a message because they know this answers nothing. The poll is an interesting concept and isn't too far off base (it is skewed towards many more tuxedos, fewer suits, and slightly fewer casual) from what I see in the dining rooms, but it is far from providing an answer to the age-old question. The only way to accurately do that is to survey the populations that are actually on the ships to eliminate the chat-room bias here.

[quote name='Roger007']I must be one of those ten percent or less. I am on the Grand TA this spring. I have worn suits and ties for nearly 40 years and when I am on vacation, I want to relax, not dress up. DW and I usually eat in Lido or specialty restaurants on formal nights. Besides, to bring formal wear usually entails another entire suitcase which these days costs more than a little to travel with. Uncomfortable. Not me. I am not on vacation to impress anyone.[/quote]

I agree with this. When I am on vacation, I'm not looking to dress up in a suit or tux. I will wear nice slacks/dress shirt with a tie....no coat though.

[quote name='Wandalust725']DH always wears his tux on formal night. I must say he looks quite dashing when he is all dressed up. :D[/quote]

I am sure he does because no outfit flatters a man more than a standard black tuxedo, and no outfit attracts women more than the tux. The sooner a young man discovers this simple fact, the better he will do with the opposite sex.;)

Although spoken as a novice cruiser, I think half the fun of a cruise is getting dressed up for dinner, especially on formal night/s. Princess (and other cruise lines) make it pretty painless to rent a tux at a reasonable price and have it waiting for you when you board your ship. No worries or hassle in making sure your guy is fully 'decked' out for formal nights! ;)

[quote name='Cupcrazy']I am 29 and enjoy wearing a suit and tie on formal night. I like the history of cruising when every man wore a tux and every woman wore a formal dress every night.[/quote]

Agreed. I don't know about you but from my perspective, our generation (i'm 31) never was really required to wear more than jeans and a tee shirt most of the time. Even now, my office dress code allows it, although most people dress a little nicer than that. If someone walked in there wearing a suit and tie, they would attract attention. I enjoy the idea of getting dressed up every once in awhile.

[quote name='kahluatoo']Just got back from the Crown and I saw a lot of men not in tux's... saw one guy in a flannel shirt even! But he stood out, obviously. My father wore a sport jacket both nights.[/quote]

My father will be thrilled to hear it. He's a huge fan of the sports jacket. Now if I can just convince him that black jeans do not count as slacks... (though, after this wedding cruise, I really don't care what he chooses to wear)

[quote name='apollobeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue]
We don't judge others and how they dress. Maybe a lot of folks should do the same, and enjoy the cruise, rather than being unhappy and throwing criticism at others. There are so many other more important things to worry about.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Well said. Why spend your vacation worrying about trivial things that are really none of your business anyway?

The poll results generally reflect what I've seen onboard. The large majority are dressing to the line's published standard. Some are a bit 'underdressed' but still making an effort to dress up. A comparatively small percent 10% or so not dressing up (but most of those avoid the MDR). Life's good...

I don't mind wearing a tux (prefer it to a suit) but the more I cruise the less appeal 'formal night' has for me personally. It helps the line sell pictures thus defraying costs I suppose. Trends have been away from formal dress for a generation or more.

The ONE assertion that causes me to chuckle and eyeball roll is the assertion, "I don't want to take more luggage." :rolleyes:

I usually overpack travelling - and its never formalware that plays a factor. Formalware doesn't take much room (despite or because of the way it's packed), and when I take it, I wear it. I wish I could say that of the other stuff I've toted back and forth. If you pack intelligently (as I rarely do) you've got room to spare. I've usually got some...

Packing for a ski trip makes a cruise seem like an afternoon in the park... Even skiing, if I need more than one checked bag for clothing I'm out of my mind!:D I never have needed it.

The ONE assertion that causes me to chuckle and eyeball roll is the assertion, "I don't want to take more luggage." :rolleyes:

I usually overpack travelling - and its never formalware that plays a factor. Formalware doesn't take much room (despite or because of the way it's packed), and when I take it, I wear it. I wish I could say that of the other stuff I've toted back and forth. If you pack intelligently (as I rarely do) you've got room to spare. I've usually got some...

I can't see how to come to that conclusion when every article you put in you suitcase adds to the total amount unless you begin with extra room to spare. :rolleyes: Try taking out the suit jacket, pants, dress shirt & shoes and you'll probably find you can travel with a smaller suit case in the first place. :D

The poll results generally reflect what I've seen onboard. The large majority are dressing to the line's published standard. Some are a bit 'underdressed' but still making an effort to dress up. A comparatively small percent 10% or so not dressing up (but most of those avoid the MDR). Life's good...

I don't mind wearing a tux (prefer it to a suit) but the more I cruise the less appeal 'formal night' has for me personally. It helps the line sell pictures thus defraying costs I suppose. Trends have been away from formal dress for a generation or more.

Packing for a ski trip makes a cruise seem like an afternoon in the park... Even skiing, if I need more than one checked bag for clothing I'm out of my mind!:D I never have needed it.

Love your post!!:D

Agree completely, I don't pack formal clothes and choose to go in slightly less than recommended attire on formal nights, but I will not use the luggage as a reason. While everything in a bag takes up room, it's all about how you prioritize what actually ends up in the bag. People seem to find room for the bed cushion, the coffee maker, the multiple bottles of alcohol, and everything else under the sun.

I wore a tux when accompanying my wife, but converted to a jacket and tie since solo.

BTW - I think we have some fibbers. I see a lot more jacket and tie wearers than the poll number suggests.

I don't think anyone's fibbing here, I just think that the people here on CC aren't quite the same demographic as the entirety of the cruising population. It's similar to going to a political rally and taking a poll on any of the hot-button topics of the day, your answers aren't necessarily going to coincide with the general population.

It's been a week since the last interim results. The last poll was June 2009 here are the comparisons:

Poll Responses: 2009: 587, 2011: 558 (so far)

Of those who use the Main Dining Room:

• Wearing Princess Formal Night recommendations:
    2009: 76.5% ___ 2011: 77.0%
  • Wear a sport coat/slacks with a tie to the MDR:
    2009: 8.9% ____2011: 13.2%
  • Don’t follow dress recommendations in MDR:
    2009: 8.5% ____2011: 7.9%

So, this week, it looks like there is a shift from casual (no tie) to more formal sport coat and tie.

About 90% of Cruise Critic men in the main dining room dress with coat and tie.

To the question of how valid this is for the whole population on a cruise ship, keep in mind that Princess Cruises sees the whole population, continues to offer Formal Nights, and apparently has not had reason to change this, much to the delight of many on this board.

Hi All

Question does what your table mates wear on formal night affect what you

wear, ie you have a table for 6 in fixed dining and the other two couples

say they love formal and dress to impress what do you do.

or if in anytime you are wearing your tux do you want to be seated with

others dressed as well.

yours Shogun

About 90% of Cruise Critic men in the main dining room dress with coat and tie.

Now that's an accurate way to describe the results of the poll. Funny thing, the number of people not dressing formally isn't that different from my personal observations on the ships, definitely within the margin of error.

To the question of how valid this is for the whole population on a cruise ship, keep in mind that Princess Cruises sees the whole population, continues to offer Formal Nights, and apparently has not had reason to change this, much to the delight of many on this board.

At the same time Princess has gone from formal attire being required in the MDR many years ago to it being a recommendation now and allowing people in freely with less than formalwear. They also recognize that the general trend in cruising is towards more casual but aren't ready to break with the traditions since the majority still participate.

Hi All

Question does what your table mates wear on formal night affect what you

wear, ie you have a table for 6 in fixed dining and the other two couples

say they love formal and dress to impress what do you do.

or if in anytime you are wearing your tux do you want to be seated with

others dressed as well.

yours Shogun

Not an issue for my wife and I, we always get a table for two. However, if we did have a table for a larger group we would still dress the same as we currently do. If our clothing choices offend anyone, they have the right to move elsewhere to another table that's more acceptable to them.

I always chuckle at the luggage excuse also. The men already bring a pair of nice slacks, a dress shirt, socks and shoes. So the only add on is a tie and a jacket. Perhaps its the cumberbun that puts them over the weight limit....

Not an issue for my wife and I, we always get a table for two. However, if we did have a table for a larger group we would still dress the same as we currently do. If our clothing choices offend anyone, they have the right to move elsewhere to another table that's more acceptable to them.

Been there - done that. They did give me a strange look.

Alaska cruise on Sapphire in 08 wore dress pants and white dress shirt and tie and / or nice sweater with dress shirt. Had no issue what so ever did not see many tuxes good amount of suites but more sport coats. Think Alaska is more relaxed / casual so more excepted plus much more multi generational as fin family groups and groups traveling together in general. In many ways a 1 week cruise tends to b more laxed then if it is a 2 week or longer. So dressing up is more of a nice break for many.

Just reporting in about the Star Princess- Currently they are not enforcing much of any formal dress code in the AT dining room & even a short sleeve shirt without the jacket & tie will do. Most people are dressing formally but it's not a strict requirement on this ship and it's pretty much in line with the other larger ships. There must have been at least 10 guys in casual dress last night seated without any problem.

Archived