Sharks, dolphins and whales

sej67

We've seen whales in Mexico (around Cabo and Puerto Vallarta though from a distance while on cruise ship, up close on excursions) and Alaska, Dolphins in Mexico and Caribbean, crocodiles and sea snakes in Panama Canal. One of our favorite activies on sea days is sit on balcony with binoculars looking for sea life.

We had a great cruise for sea life this past February out of Los Angeles. You can view pictures from that trip at:

http://smengelt.shutterfly.com/1113

Saw my first and only whale in the Caribbean (of all places) on the Carnival Imagination in August of 2010--here's an excerpt of my review:

"A little excitement

In the afternoon, suddenly I noticed everyone running towards the starboard side of the ship, so we got up to see what everyone was looking at. We feared maybe someone had gone overboard or something. Thankfully, that was not the case. It was a whale swimming at the surface of the water! It was a really cool thing to see."

Check out the rest of my review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1267072

On an Alaskan cruise in April 2009, although it was about two months off from the season we say a few Orca, I remember we saw the baby seals first (or as our guide called them Orca d'oeuvres), then a few minutes later saw two Orca

We've seen tons of whales on various Trans-Atlantics (North). We also got to swim (one on one) with the dolphins in Curacao. ...and next March, on our South Pacific island cruise, we're booked to FEED the black sharks! I can't wait!!!!

Have you ever seen any from your cruise ship? If so, what region were you in and what time of year was it?

We've seen Dolphin & Whales on occasion going to the Caribbean. Watching the flying fish in the warmer waters is pretty cool as well.

On Diamond Princess in Alaska, 2009...Many humpback whales, an Orca, & a floating log going by the ship that sat up & became a seal.

Four flying fish in March 2011 in the Caribbean.

In 2008 in Kauai, Hawaii on an excursion boat (not from the ship) we passed thru a huge school of well over 200 Dolphins.

Steve & Pete

Now I know I won't see whales, but what might I see in the Mediterranean?

You might depending upon where you will be sailing. Check out this video re: sperm whales in/around Greece/Turkey:

http://www.whaletrackers.com/whales-mediterranean-sea/sperm-whales-of-greece/

Also, google "Mediterranean Whales" and a number of interesting links come up.

Have you ever seen any from your cruise ship? If so, what region were you in and what time of year was it?

We just got back from the Mexican Riviera last week and eventhough it's a little late in the season, we saw whales from our veranda as we left Puerto Vallarta and as we arrived in Cabo San Lucas.

These whales put on a heck of a show. We just pieced together our video clips and posted them on YouTube at:

On our Alaska trip a few years ago, we saw both humpbacks and Orcas from the ship, but not anything quite like the show in Cabo.

From our veranda:

5586988589_ed34ec684d_m.jpg

adventuregrrl, great video! Glad they were still around for your cruise and put on some great shows for you. Love that part of the Pacific this time of year.

Thanks! It was truly and unexpected suprise.

RMR - that sounds really awesome to see so many dolphins!

We just got back from the Mexican Riviera last week and eventhough it's a little late in the season, we saw whales from our veranda as we left Puerto Vallarta and as we arrived in Cabo San Lucas.

These whales put on a heck of a show. We just pieced together our video clips and posted them on YouTube at:

On our Alaska trip a few years ago, we saw both humpbacks and Orcas from the ship, but not anything quite like the show in Cabo.

From our veranda:

5586988589_ed34ec684d_m.jpg

Amazing video - thanks for posting!

Adventuregirl:

Thanks for sharing that great video of the whales.

I am boarding Oosterdam this Saturday (4/23) so I'll make sure to keep a close look out for your friends.

Thanks again,

Hobie

Dolphins are common in all areas of the Caribbean. If you leave from FL, there's a good chance you'll see one in port or as you're departing. I've seen sharks at CocoCay in the Bahamas....there are lots of sharks to see, so keep your eye's open if you want to see one. Whales are a bit more rare...common in the more northern areas.

I've seen Whales in Puerto Vallarta and Nassau Bahamas. 2009 and 2010 respectively.

I've seen Dolphins in Puerto Rico in the port in 2008 and leaving Aruba in 2010.

Some video!

Dolphins with Jewel of the Seas!

Whale Excursion in PV, This is the Whale Fighting Video!

Archived