Note: To Chair Hogs

Since I'm not afraid of confrontation, I usually say something to people who are "SAVING" chairs for their friends/family. They save like 10 chairs, but only 2 people are there everyday. Happened on a Princess cruise in the adults only pool area...I said something to the dad, and he started saying something back in another language, after I just heard him speak English. And he was saving the seats for his CHILDREN, where the signs clearly said that the pool was for adults (+16) That just got me more pumped up. I'm a sun worshipper, so don't get in my way of my laying out time! It's just rude!

Yes, they do not only hog one chair, but many. After about a 1/2 hour of walking around the Solarium I finally said to myself "that's enough" and moved a book and towel from one chair to another that was being hogged next to it. A woman sitting along the other side started yelling at me that it was HER CHAIR! HER chair:eek: She was SITTING in HER CHAIR. I said, "sorry, you can't have two chairs for yourself" She started to make a big scene and I just told her to take it up with the pool staff... She didn't. Gee, I wonder why...:rolleyes:

On my next cruise I'm not packing anything to read. I'm getting up in the morning to borrow something from the pool chairs. I will return it to the lost and found at the end of our cruise. Thanks in advance for sharing:D.

When I was a child coming to Canada on the RMS Ascania(Cunard Line)from England I remember my mother getting a deck chair from the steward and paying for it,it was our chair all day.

This may well be the answer to chair hogs,pay for the chair and it is yours.I f I remember correctly there were no deck chairs set out and if you wanted one the steward had to get it for you.

I'm an early riser (usually before sunrise). I get a kick out of watching the people in pajamas (and worse) and squinty eyes walking up to the chairs to mark their territory. It's so fun and easy to just wait for them to get back on the elevator and free up those spots. :D Too bad I'm usually off doing other things and don't get to see their reactions when they finally show up. :p I'm sure some other hog has taken their spots by then.

I am of the auinty eye type - but I stay with the chair......DH comes up and I go get into my bathing suit and come right back. I HATE people who leave stuff and never come back. I have removed their stuff to get into the more desirable chair and seen them return 2-3 hours later!!!!!!:eek:

I,m with you.I have not bought sandals,sunglasses,beach towels or books since I started cruising there are so many left laying around ,free for the taking..I,m on a cruise this fall ,you,ve been warned!

So hogging a chair is wrong, but stealing is not??

Just off the Freedom of the Seas, and saw the chair police in action, on more than one occasion. One morning we came out and there were approx 10 chairs in the front row with respect to the pool that all had been saved with magazines, shoes, books. About 30 minutes later, a pool staff member came and took away all of the items on the chairs, including towels. We saw this happen again on two other occasions. I was so glad to see this, it was entertaining.

So hogging a chair is wrong, but stealing is not??
I'd equate taking a book from a completely empty chair to picking up change off the ground. Is it yours? No, but it's obviously lost, abandoned, no one cares about it. I mean, I don't leave things I care about laying around.

I would donate it to the ship library.

I'm in favor of whatever'll stop chair hogs.

Remind me not to leave my Color Kindle out on my chair! Kidding, I wouldn't do it, and I love chair hog threads. Beats working!

Wasn't aware the color Kindle was released yet- latest update says Nov 2011.

Just wondering...

I think it's comical that the chair hogs never seem to have any kind of rebuttal. There are flamers on here in every single thread but never once do you see a chair hog say "stuff it".

I've seen a few. I had one chair hogger who was in denial. It was on either Freedom or Navigator in the solarium and if you forget which was you came in to the area, it can be easy to forget which side of the area your seat is. I had been in my chair for more than an hour with my wife next to me, each of us may have dipped in the pool and come back, but we never never gone together more than a minute or two. This guy just started yelling at me about moving his stuff and no amount of, "I've been here an hour and there was no books here" would stop his rant, and I think he even called me a liar a couple of times. Turns out his books and belongings were still in the chair where he left them, which was in the exact same spot, just on the opposite side of the solarium. I can laugh about it now.

I'd equate taking a book from a completely empty chair to picking up change off the ground. Is it yours? No, but it's obviously lost, abandoned, no one cares about it. I mean, I don't leave things I care about laying around.

I would donate it to the ship library.

I'm in favor of whatever'll stop chair hogs.

She also mentioned sunglasses, sandals, and beach towels. If you take something that doesn't belong to you, it's stealing, plain and simple.

So, I am going on my first RCCL cruise this summer

Define a chair hog for me so I can recognize them :)

Are they the ones who put their towel on a chair then leave while I am watching my son at the pool and I have no place to sit and read because there are towels sitting in the chairs?

Another reason I love chair hog threads is to post this picture taken when Freedom was brand new. This photo was taken by a fellow CC member who I believe is still here, but I laughed so hard at the photo I kept it and bring it out on occasion. In this photo look at the clock and realize this is in the AM.

chairhog.jpg

Being the trouble maker I am, I probably would have waited till he left, assuming he did, and go down and remove all the towels. We all have our unusual things we think are fun. Mine is curling and running 15 miles.

Another reason I love chair hog threads is to post this picture taken when Freedom was brand new. This photo was taken by a fellow CC member who I believe is still here, but I laughed so hard at the photo I kept it and bring it out on occasion. In this photo look at the clock and realize this is in the AM.

chairhog.jpg

Being the trouble maker I am, I probably would have waited till he left, assuming he did, and go down and remove all the towels. We all have our unusual things we think are fun. Mine is curling and running 15 miles.

Love that picture!!

Whats a girl to do?

What I do is probably less relevant because I don't travel with kids, but it works in the adult solarium as well. Now on Allure where my next cruise is, there is no pool in the solarium :confused: . Anyway, I like to swim and spent short amounts of time laying in the sun. My wife is the exact opposite. We go to the pool and if there are no chairs we will swim with our stuff in a neat pile somewhere that it won't get stepped on and we can keep an eye on it. Frequently she sits along side the pool, usually facing into the sun. During that time we watch for someone that looks like they were leaving and if done politely they usually let us have their chairs, and if they aren't actually leaving, I apologize for bothering them. That has worked well for us. Allure may be a different experience.

Remind me not to leave my Color Kindle out on my chair! Kidding, I wouldn't do it, and I love chair hog threads. Beats working!

Actually I was quite surprised how many kindles were left unattended on chairs on our last cruise.

On my next cruise I'm not packing anything to read. I'm getting up in the morning to borrow something from the pool chairs. I will return it to the lost and found at the end of our cruise. Thanks in advance for sharing:D.

i love the deck police on rccl. makes life easier for everyone!

Just off the Freedom of the Seas, and saw the chair police in action, on more than one occasion. One morning we came out and there were approx 10 chairs in the front row with respect to the pool that all had been saved with magazines, shoes, books. About 30 minutes later, a pool staff member came and took away all of the items on the chairs, including towels. We saw this happen again on two other occasions. I was so glad to see this, it was entertaining.

I completely believe you, I just look forward to actually seeing it myself. On Allure with 2 consecutive sea days, this would be an ideal time. I've heard people say they saw the chair police in action and the same ship the next week, there were none.

Wasn't aware the color Kindle was released yet- latest update says Nov 2011.

Just wondering...

Your right, its a Color Nook, I bought it for my wife so I seldom get to use it.

Guess I'm in the minority here because I will not lay a hand on someone else's things. That's what the pool attendants are for. The last thing I need or want is someone to accuse me of taking/stealing/moving their stuff. Add plenty of alcohol into the mix and you are, IMO, just looking for trouble.

So, I am going on my first RCCL cruise this summer

Define a chair hog for me so I can recognize them :)

Are they the ones who put their towel on a chair then leave while I am watching my son at the pool and I have no place to sit and read because there are towels sitting in the chairs?

That would be them:);)

The best solution is taking there towels off and dumping the towel in the used towel bin, THEY GET BILLED $20 for not returning it!!!!!!!!

Now that idea I like..:D

TBH, on Indy last Sept the deck patrols did put little 'post it' stickers on the 'hogged' chairs on several occasions and returned within 30 minutes and cleared the chairs. :cool:

Now that idea I like..:D

TBH, on Indy last Sept the deck patrols did put little 'post it' stickers on the 'hogged' chairs on several occasions and returned within 30 minutes and cleared the chairs. :cool:

I was thinking this would be a fun project. Get some stickies that were hog shaped and Write "Hogged Since 6:00 AM" or whatever the time was. Hmm, we sail in three weeks, can I get these?

Archived