Note: To Chair Hogs

I was on one cruise where it wasn't a problem - Oasis. The pool attendants literally had little signs with clocks on them that they would put on peoples' belongings - sort of like how a parking enforcement officer will chalk your tires, then come back two hours later and write you a ticket. In this case, people had 30 minutes to get back to their chairs or their belongings were removed. It worked out very, very well. 6,400 passengers on the ship and there were always empty chairs.

On Liberty and Navigator last month I would sit in a less desirable chair and read my book while waiting on people to return to their 'saved' chairs. I usually gave it about an hour, then simply folded their belongings up inside their towel and walked it over to a pool attendant with a simple "I found this". Never had an issue, and I was never challenged by anyone when they returned and saw me laying there.

I did that on Celebrity and the couple came back and tried to get my face . . . big mistake LOL . . . . I simply held my ground and told them "hey you know that saving chairs isn't allowed" . . . . after that they stormed off . . .o well

Another reason I love chair hog threads is to post this picture taken when Freedom was brand new. This photo was taken by a fellow CC member who I believe is still here, but I laughed so hard at the photo I kept it and bring it out on occasion. In this photo look at the clock and realize this is in the AM.

chairhog.jpg

Being the trouble maker I am, I probably would have waited till he left, assuming he did, and go down and remove all the towels. We all have our unusual things we think are fun. Mine is curling and running 15 miles.

Bill,

Yes, I'm still here!

DW and I are leaving later this month for a 9 day-er on Explorer. I am an early morning riser, and an avid sunrise photo taker. That on was on either Freedom or Mariner. Earlier that day, as the sun came up, I walked up the stairs to the small sunbathing deck over the Sky Bar to take some photos when I stumbled upon a member of the Chair Patrol. He was actually setting 10 chairs up in two sets of five, each one complete with a bucket of Bud on ice. Nice. at 6:15 AM! He was setting up someone's spot for the day...I wonder how much he got "tipped" for doing it?

She also mentioned sunglasses, sandals, and beach towels. If you take something that doesn't belong to you, it's stealing, plain and simple.

At sea it is not stealing, but the rule of salvage,anything abandond is your for the taking ,check with the coast guard.You refer to the poster as she Cruisebunnies is a man check the picture!:cool:

Guess I'm in the minority here because I will not lay a hand on someone else's things. That's what the pool attendants are for. The last thing I need or want is someone to accuse me of taking/stealing/moving their stuff. Add plenty of alcohol into the mix and you are, IMO, just looking for trouble.

We'll be in the minority together then. I'm not opposed to having someone move the stuff, I'd just prefer it be the people that are supposed to. I'd talk to the pool attendants and just advise them about that, they are pretty nice if you just ask them. Big Plus, you don't get accused of stealing.

Just off the Freedom of the Seas, and saw the chair police in action, on more than one occasion. One morning we came out and there were approx 10 chairs in the front row with respect to the pool that all had been saved with magazines, shoes, books. About 30 minutes later, a pool staff member came and took away all of the items on the chairs, including towels. We saw this happen again on two other occasions. I was so glad to see this, it was entertaining.

I wish they would do this more often. For sounding a little snooty I'am glad we have our own area for suite guests--but they too get taken by guests who ARE NOT in suites. Some people just don't give a rats a$$ about the so called rules!

Actually I was quite surprised how many kindles were left unattended on chairs on our last cruise.

I had my choice of Kindles, iPads, and Nooks last cruise if I had wanted one.

my favorite chair hog memory:

I went to the busy solarium and got a chair as somebody left. Score, happy afternoon. After a while, the couple beside me left and I went for a quick dip in the pool. As I enjoyed the water, a couple came in and took the empty two empty chairs. Fine, except she plopped her big bag down on my chair, right next to my book, shoes and towels. I smiled and waved from the pool. Oblivious, she popped off her sandals and put those on my chair, too. Within five minutes she acts surprised and indignant, when dripping wet, I ask her to move her stuff off my chair. I guess she thought it was chair hog stuff and she could double down on the hogging. She never considered that the owner might be right there watching her.

Some people just don't give a rats a$$ about the so called rules!

That pretty much sums it up, along with the attitude that, "I'll never see these people again, I'm going to act the way I want to"

I'm a totally different person on vacation, my job is way to stressful, I am relaxing and tolerant. Everyone I see looks like a nice person and I am easy to get along with . So opposite of me at work.

Another reason I love chair hog threads is to post this picture taken when Freedom was brand new. This photo was taken by a fellow CC member who I believe is still here, but I laughed so hard at the photo I kept it and bring it out on occasion. In this photo look at the clock and realize this is in the AM.

chairhog.jpg

Being the trouble maker I am, I probably would have waited till he left, assuming he did, and go down and remove all the towels. We all have our unusual things we think are fun. Mine is curling and running 15 miles.

Yup, that is pretty much exactly what we saw when we were watching from the Viking lounge early with coffee in hand.

Wild hogs up early staking out his territory!! Those swine!! :eek:

Oh...did forget to mention. Later that morning it started raining hard...and never let up till afternoon. Wet towels and paperbacks all over the place! ;)

Obviously the pool area is not the only "hogs running wild" on the ship. The DH and I were looking for 2 seats 15 minutes before one of the shows in the theater. Found a row of 6-8 seats 2nd row back and tried to have a seat.

Woman jumped up furious to tell us they were "saved". She was all be herself.

When I still tried to sit in one of them telling her there is no seat saving allowed, she screamed at me and flug her beaded shawl off to lay across the seats and told me her people were coming down the aisle right now. Turning around, there was obviously no one walking down the aisle. "I don't see anyone" I told her.

She then whipped her shawl at me, which stung pretty hard....and we left.

Looking back later, I realized I should have reported her.

If someone asks you to get up because the seat is saved I would politely say that I will get up when they come and be willing to do so. Most likely they will never come. No harm no foul.

They make an announcement just before the show....every show....that there is NO seat saving.

If you want to save a seat...there had better be a butt in it!! :eek: ;)

Guess I'm in the minority here because I will not lay a hand on someone else's things. That's what the pool attendants are for. The last thing I need or want is someone to accuse me of taking/stealing/moving their stuff. Add plenty of alcohol into the mix and you are, IMO, just looking for trouble.

I agree with you in principle. However, unlike a crew member I don't fear getting reported to Guest Services by someone who is shoving their C&A status in my face or telling me that they're going to take their business to Carnival. I look at it like I'm doing my fellow cruisers and the pool attendants a favor.

I would suggest you not just complain, but take action. If there is nothing but a paperback & a ship's towel, well, that paperback could easily get lost, no telling what might happen. As for a hat, gee, that could blow away under another lounger, who knows. Or you could just sit down & enjoy yourself until they come back. The imagined embarrassment you may think you would have would be offset by the atta-boys from the other passengers. Personally, I can only sit in the sun less than an hour, so I would be gone before those little piggies ever show up. A little more of this type action, & the piggies would be forced to sit their pork butts in those loungers more often. Another diabolical thought-sit on the lounge after you get out of the pool.

I like to sleep in and have a late breakfast so I don't usually make it to the pool area until almost noon. Of course, by then, there are NO chairs.

Unless I sit and watch certain chairs for a half hour to verify there is no one there, how do you know which chairs are safe to remove the items? This is one of my HUGE pet peeves about cruising. I enjoy a couple of hours in the sun and it is virtually impossible to find a chair most of the time. I don't even like being near the pool.

Since nobody has taken the opposite viewpoint, I will :)

1) What exactly are the rules for having a chair?

2) How long can I be away from it?

3) Can I sit in the pool for an hour without being called a hog?

3a) If not, what is protocol?

4) Do I have to return to the chair every 30 minutes so I am not a hog?

4a) If I have to come back to the chair, how long do I have to stay? Do I just have to touch it? Stay for 10 seconds? a minute? five minutes?

5) If you really want to sit close and know that seats around the pool are taken by 9am, wouldnt it be smarter to get there earlier rather than complain that others have claimed the seats? I think of it this way....If I want to cruise on a specific date. I wait to book until a week before, there are no balcony cabins and then I complain that they all balcony cabins are taken.

6) If you feel that you need to take books, towels, sandals, etc, how is that different than people saving chairs? Rules are rules and you are choosing to break them (stealing). Justifying it does not make it acceptable.

Full disclosure, I am sure some people would consider me a chair hog. I am an early riser and typically will sit and read around the pool around 7am. I save a seat for my wife and kids, who come along later in the morning. During the day, we like to sit in the pool, sometimes for an hour or more (:eek:), all while keeping our chairs, because we will go back to them.

I have too stressful of a professional life to care too much about what others are doing on vacation. I roll with it and adapt. I am happy to be there having fun with my wife and kids.

My rule is if you are going to be gone more than an hour, give up the lounger. If more people did this, there would be a reasonable turnover & a reasonable hope that you might be able to find a place without being a hog.

I believe there is a sign (at least in the Solarium) that says that you can't hold a chair for more than 30 mins? The staff are then allowed to remove your belongings so that someone else may sit. However, I always wondered about what if you stay in the pool for over 30 mins? You get out of the pool and your stuff is not there on the chair that now someone else is sitting in? Or do you tell the pool attendant when you go into the pool that you are still there:confused:

Enjoying the lounger and pool is fine; saving seats for the family who arrive 2, 3, 4 hours later is a no no.

Same with those who come down early, place their stuff on a chair, go to breakfast, return for 30 minutes, then leave for lunch, then return and so on.

Perhaps the cruise lines should rent the chairs:rolleyes: that are in a favored location. I'll bet that will eliminate the chair hogs:eek:

Enjoying the lounger and pool is fine; saving seats for the family who arrive 2, 3, 4 hours later is a no no.

Same with those who come down early, place their stuff on a chair, go to breakfast, return for 30 minutes, then leave for lunch, then return and so on.

Perhaps the cruise lines should rent the chairs:rolleyes: that are in a favored location. I'll bet that will eliminate the chair hogs:eek:

It is funny you should post the renting ideea. I just posted a similar concept in a new revenue for RCI humor thread.

I'm almost afraid to give RCI this idea, even if it is in jest.

Lounge chair meters, similar to parking meters. These would be on all lounge chairs in prime areas near the pools. $3 per half hour for prime seats, and less the farther away from the pools you get. You need to swipe your sea pass card every 30 minutes. If you don't, a red flag shows and you lose the chair. Each sea pass may only be swiped one time during that 30 minutes. If you need 4 chairs, 4 people must swipe their sea pass card. This will eliminate chair hogs too, since paperbacks and flip flops can't swipe a sea pass card. ;)

Eric

All of you are still missing the point.....what if I am in the pool for longer than 30 minutes. Be realistic!

Archived