Note: To Chair Hogs

Why not assign loungers by Crown &Anchor status.Platinum get first pick Diamond plus next and so on until all that is left a:cool:re given to the Gold members.This way the entitiled will get what they want!

Please please please tell me this was meant as just a joke. Otherwise, I might have to call you a snobby b****!

Please please please tell me this was meant as just a joke. Otherwise, I might have to call you a snobby b****!

Glad you got the joke,I love pointing out the real snobbishness of many cruise passengers.Some of the higher status members thinks that taking many cruises confers some sort of higher status in the human chain,makes as :cool:much sense as bragging about how many air miles you have!

Why not just get your a** out of bed and get the chair you want, where you want!! We were in ours by 8:15am on our last cruise out of San Juan.

I love seeing the look on people's faces when they come out to the pool deck( on the sea day) at noon, looking disgusted because they can't find a chair by the pool.

On my vacation, I don't want to get my a** out of bed that early just to get a chair. If I come out at noon and can't find a chair because they are all filled, that would be ok - I would then realize I need to get up earlier if I want sun. But to come out at noon and find 50% empty chairs with a towel on them, that is frustrating.

Why not just get your a** out of bed and get the chair you want, where you want!! We were in ours by 8:15am on our last cruise out of San Juan.

I love seeing the look on people's faces when they come out to the pool deck( on the sea day) at noon, looking disgusted because they can't find a chair by the pool.

I agree with you 100%. Trust me I have not been, nor hope to never be, considered a chair hog. That being said it is somewhat frustrating for those who arrive at the pool at 1 PM to be frustrated that they can not find a lounger by the pool, in the sun, within spitting distance of the pool games that are probably going on.

There certainly is a difference from chair hogging and being gone for a few minutes. Heck, sometimes people actually may want to swim.

Someone earlier mentioned eating at the WJ while someone else waits for their return. It might be just me but I don't see anything wrong with that. If we are with another couple and we watch their belongings while they eat lunch (not gone for hours) and they do the same for us I don't feel that is hogging chairs.

Common courtesy should be the bell weather here. I too have watched, sometimes in awe and sometimes in disgust, as folks in the PJs are at the pool deck at 5 am lining up 10 chairs with their towels to save them for when the arrive at 11 am. Now that is not acceptable.

On my next cruise I'm not packing anything to read. I'm getting up in the morning to borrow something from the pool chairs. I will return it to the lost and found at the end of our cruise. Thanks in advance for sharing:D.

I hope I am lucky enough to 'borrow' a kindle or iPad :D

I dont know if anyone mentioned this, but I think my DH had the best idea, lol. We should be able to prebook our lounge chairs, lmao. We can prebook entertainment, excursions, specialty restaurants and even photo packages, why not your lounge chair? What cost would that be? [tongue-in-cheek]

:eek:

Oh my goodness! :eek: :eek: :eek: That's so mean!!! Definitely should've reported her on that, people really need to learn some manners.

Thanks, and I totally agree. I seem to just fade into the background, and should have reported that awful person!!

I promise you I have no interest in taking someone's sunglasses, sandals, etc. -- but I will move them over to the top of a trash can or give them to the pool staff if they're left unattended. The opposite viewpoint -- the cornerstone of which is the idea that I can have anything I want, and who cares about you -- is not defendable.

You asked questions about how much is "too much". You'll get slightly different answers on those questions, but the reality is that it's not hard to tell a hogged chair from a chair that's being used. A hogged chair contains a fresh towel or simply a novel. A used chair contains a laid-out towel that's clearly been sat-upon and other items laid out nearby: probably sandals and a bag underneath the chair. A reasonable person can tell what's "in use" and what's being hogged -- and that reasonable person shouldn't have to stand around for 30 minutes waiting to see if someone comes back for the chair. Here's my favorite chair hog story: This happened on a Disney cruise. I was with my small children, who wanted to take a quick dip. I was wearing shorts instead of a swimsuit, and I intended to sit near the pool, where I could keep an eye on them and read a bit.

Two empty chairs (not loungers) were right by the pool, and another woman and I were walking towards them from different directions. She got there a moment earlier than me, but it shouldn't have been a problem -- two of us, two chairs. She plopped her bag in the second chair. I asked her if I could sit there, and she said NO because she didn't want to put her bag on the ground.

Okay, you want to do something that's not against the rules but certainly is rude? So can I. I stood between her and the pool so she couldn't watch her kids. The sun was shining on my back, so I could see every time she moved to the left or the right . . . and I moved with her. She didn't enjoy sitting there staring at my butt, but she'd refused me the chair. After a while, she got irritated and moved.

Was this nice? No, not at all.

You go girl!! I applaude you!! :D

Okay, I have a question. This does not apply to anyone watching their children in the pool or cruisers who spend time in the pool, its to those cruisers who feel they must have a lounge chair in what I call the "see and be seen" area immediately around the pool.

Of these folks, I ask this question in all sincerity - why is it so appealing to lay out around the pool if you have absolutely no intention of getting in the pool? If you want to soak up some rays, the sun shines all over the ship and there are lots of available loung chairs in other areas, many of them within earshot of the pool band and with bar service.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand it...

But then again, I don't understand hogging lounge chairs either, regardless of where they are located on the ship.

Hi All,

As a newbie to cruising I have some questions (by the way I also love these chair hog threads, good warning for us newbies on what to expect). I get wanting to be by the pool if you have kids to watch, I think I would be more inclined to sit at the edge of the pool or hop in with them, but ...

Q1. If you only want to swim and not sunbath is there a place to put your things (like lockers or shelves)?

I also can't imagine wanting to sit in a crowded area looking at a crowded pool when I am in the middle of the ocean. Do that at the holiday park we visit every summer. The idea of looking OUT at the ocean is much more appealing. Sipping cocktails with my girlfriends while kids are at AO and husbands wherever enjoying the scenery sounds mightly appealing (especially on this horrible rainy day), so ...

Q2. Can you get a chair easily away from the pool (preferably looking out at the ocean) but close enough to go and have a swim when you get hot, say about 9.30-10am ish (assuming it will take me that long to get organised, have breakfast and drop kids at AO)?

Lastly,

Q3. What is it like around the pool on shore days? We are visiting 7 island in 7 days on our cruise and I am certain some days we will come back to the ship early to enjoy and relax. Would we be able to get a prime lounger on those days or are they still 'hogged'?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Leah

This thread is the most entertaining one I have read in a while. Keep posting your experiences on this. Love reading them.

I was thinking when I go in June I should take post it notes and stick them on chairs with the time. Then watch when people come back to their chairs and see what they do. Entertainment in its self.

If your morning excitement is to get up to see who is chogging, that is so sad. AND you probably cruise too much. Otherwise you would be enjoying yourself so much more just minding your own business since it is a VACATION.

And I have never chair hogged! I have sat with 4 chairs for four people while two ate in the WJ and swapped out. No breakfast there should be more than 20 minutes anyways...i dont see the issue and I really dont care. I would LOVE to see someone come up and try to take it because they have determined that THEY are the moral police and know what is wrong or right AND how long is too long.

And how dare some of you deem "platinum or diamond" or whatever you want to call it superior. We are not on the titanic and no one is in steerage. See, that has happened in history many times. One name for it is ****-ism.

If your morning excitement is to get up to see who is chogging, that is so sad. AND you probably cruise too much. Otherwise you would be enjoying yourself so much more just minding your own business since it is a VACATION.

And I have never chair hogged! I have sat with 4 chairs for four people while two ate in the WJ and swapped out. No breakfast there should be more than 20 minutes anyways...i dont see the issue and I really dont care. I would LOVE to see someone come up and try to take it because they have determined that THEY are the moral police and know what is wrong or right AND how long is too long.

And how dare some of you deem "platinum or diamond" or whatever you want to call it superior. We are not on the titanic and no one is in steerage. See, that has happened in history many times. One name for it is ****-ism.

LOL - good one!

I don't understand why people get so wound up about others who get up early and select a chair. We just came back from 3 weeks in Cancun, and this seems to be the standard practice at most hotels. We go for a walk on the beach in the morning and the chairs around the pool are reserved already.

I just don't care if people do that. We don't get up early and stake out a chair somewhere, I just don't need all that sun. But good luck to the people that do get up early and make the effort to do it.

I have no desire to sit beside the pool and beside the loud music and entertainment.

yes you are on vacation relax, leave them to it why risk a confrontation. It seems to be the standard practice everywhere now.

Hi All,

I also can't imagine wanting to sit in a crowded area looking at a crowded pool when I am in the middle of the ocean. Do that at the holiday park we visit every summer. The idea of looking OUT at the ocean is much more appealing.

I am exactly the same way. I'd MUCH rather be facing out, looking at that big blue ocean! (I can see the pool any day at home)

LOL - good one!

I don't understand why people get so wound up about others who get up early and select a chair. We just came back from 3 weeks in Cancun, and this seems to be the standard practice at most hotels. We go for a walk on the beach in the morning and the chairs around the pool are reserved already.

I just don't care if people do that. We don't get up early and stake out a chair somewhere, I just don't need all that sun. But good luck to the people that do get up early and make the effort to do it.

I have no desire to sit beside the pool and beside the loud music and entertainment.

yes you are on vacation relax, leave them to it why risk a confrontation. It seems to be the standard practice everywhere now.

Thanks! Well u have to understand that there are a bunch of people on c.c. that use the internet as a shield and would never man up and confront someone. these are the people who are on constantly and get themselves riled up about stupid things.

DW and I look for two chairs together, anywhere (preferably away from the music and in the sun). If we can't find two together we walk away and do something else.

If we do find two together we will use them. One of us will always stay with the chair if the other wants to go in the pool or to the toilet.

When we have finished with them we take our stuff. At least one chair is sat on at all times. The other will not be vacant for any more than ten minutes.

We do not reserve chairs while we are eating.

The ship's 30 minute rule does not mean that even within that time you are not still chair hogging.

IF YOU ARE NOT USING THE CHAIR YOU ARE CHAIR HOGGING.

If everyone worked with that principle, there would be no such thing as chair hogging and every single person that wanted a chair would always find a chair.

Here is a must have...

http://www.zazzle.com/chair_hog_tshirt-235325038423773545

They shuld install little battery operated LED lights on the back of chairs. You get up to use the bathroom, or what not, hit a button...light comes on for the allowed amount of time to save. After x amount of time, light goes out, chair is available. Problem solved.

Ditto that it is funny to watch. ;)

We usually do our coffee walk early. One morning we were in the Viking crown lounge and walked over to look out over the pool deck. Was hilarious to see the little hoggies in their jammies looking bleary eyed as one by one they ventured to root out and "stake their claim". They could not see us watching them due to the glare on the glass up there.

They would place their stuff (towels and paperbacks mostly) on 3-4 chairs, then fold the backs over where they had marked their territory. We took bets on how many would walk off...stop to sniff the air...look back...come back and rearrange the chairs just a few inches...and sometimes do it all over again before they walked off the third time, carefully looking around for other hogs in their territory as they left.

Then there were the "appointed hog guards". These were the unfortunate swine selected to sit and guard the 3-4 or more chairs while another of the group brought them a plate of breakfast and then left him there. (Guessing the rest of the swine's group were enjoying breakfast together in the MD or WJ).

Kind of like watching one of those wildlife shows on TV. Those hogs are territorial for sure!! :D :D

:p Your story amuses me. Thanks, I am an early coffee person and I think I will try this for entertainment.;)

Here's a question - I'm out by the pool, have my seapass card, sunglasses, towel and book and have been laying in the sun for a little bit til I'm just about cooked and I fancy a dip in the pool or hottub, before returned to bake again... In this instance, would leaving my belongings on the chair constitute chair hogging?

Here's my favorite chair hog story: This happened on a Disney cruise. I was with my small children, who wanted to take a quick dip. I was wearing shorts instead of a swimsuit, and I intended to sit near the pool, where I could keep an eye on them and read a bit.

Two empty chairs (not loungers) were right by the pool, and another woman and I were walking towards them from different directions. She got there a moment earlier than me, but it shouldn't have been a problem -- two of us, two chairs. She plopped her bag in the second chair. I asked her if I could sit there, and she said NO because she didn't want to put her bag on the ground.

Okay, you want to do something that's not against the rules but certainly is rude? So can I. I stood between her and the pool so she couldn't watch her kids. The sun was shining on my back, so I could see every time she moved to the left or the right . . . and I moved with her. She didn't enjoy sitting there staring at my butt, but she'd refused me the chair. After a while, she got irritated and moved.

Was this nice? No, not at all.

Oh, Mrs. Pete - you are much too kind. I would have politely informed her that her bag had not paid for a seat but I had so either move it or I would have it moved. I've only had one would-be hog encounter in the Solarium on Explorer. Circled around once and spotted two loungers open - same deal as yours, as I approached so did someone else. She plopped her "stuff" on one and I promptly plopped mine on the one next to her. "Oh" she said "are you going to sit there?" As opposed to WHAT? "I was planning to save that one for my friend who MIGHT be coming." I said saving was not permitted and that DH would be coming in an hour but I would not be so rude as to think of saving him a seat. She then went to sit at the edge of the pool, chatted with a few people, got into the pool, then out to sit on the edge. DH did come by and sat on the end of my lounge for a while and went off to other activities. I was there at least 3-4 hours reading (which I rarely find time for at home) - she never returned to her lounge, although she was there either in or near the pool, and her friend never showed up. I'm a senior and not very large but can be quite assertive in a quiet way - DH says I can cut someone off at the knees without going above a whisper.

Archived