Note: To Chair Hogs

Why not just get your a** out of bed and get the chair you want, where you want!! We were in ours by 8:15am on our last cruise out of San Juan.

I love seeing the look on people's faces when they come out to the pool deck( on the sea day) at noon, looking disgusted because they can't find a chair by the pool.

Finally others who agree with me. If it means THAT much to you, get there early!

Its really funny to see people complain that there are no chairs available for them, yet they watched people early in the morning saving chairs. This means 1) they were up early 2) they saw people doing it, so should have realized chairs might not be available later and 3) then decided to COMPLAIN! Use some common sense people!

Finally others who agree with me. If it means THAT much to you, get there early!

Its really funny to see people complain that there are no chairs available for them, yet they watched people early in the morning saving chairs. This means 1) they were up early 2) they saw people doing it, so should have realized chairs might not be available later and 3) then decided to COMPLAIN! Use some common sense people!

Is everyone forgetting that there is actually a sign in the Solarium (I don't know about the other pools) saying that you cannot save a chair for more than 30 mins? The pool attendants are then allowed to remove your towel, etc. to their station where you may go to claim your property when ever you get back. This gives more people a chance to have what they might think is "prime real estate" I, too, prefer to sit where I can see the ocean, but I don't like to have a chair that I cannot see from the pool if I decide to go in it. I don't want to leave my valuables out of eyesight.

I have also been at resorts where people chair hog from early in the morning. It's still not fair. If you get up that early for a chair, then stay in it! I will have no hesitation to go to a pool attendant to have them remove property if that chair is saved by a folded towel and book and the back pulled forward. That is a "save" If the towel, etc. look like it's being used, then they probably went someplace else for a while and are not really chair hogging. They will return to continue to "use" the chair and not saving a few for friends. :)

Here's a question - I'm out by the pool, have my seapass card, sunglasses, towel and book and have been laying in the sun for a little bit til I'm just about cooked and I fancy a dip in the pool or hottub, before returned to bake again... In this instance, would leaving my belongings on the chair constitute chair hogging?

No,

"Why not just get your a** out of bed and get the chair you want, where you want!! We were in ours by 8:15am on our last cruise out of San Juan.

I love seeing the look on people's faces when they come out to the pool deck( on the sea day) at noon, looking disgusted because they can't find a chair by the pool."

Let's get one thing straight. No one is being called a chair hog who actually spends most of the time in their chair, no matter how long. If you are noticing people looking for a chair, then you are in your seat. If however, you got your a** out of bed early, & maybe saved a few other chairs for your friends & family who choose not to get out of bed early, then you are a chair hog. If you deposited your stuff, then left to go back to sleep, you are a chair hog. If you save your chair to go play Bingo for 2 hrs, or take a nap in your room, you are a chair hog. Simple. I don't consider a towel & folded over lounge as an occupied seat, so beware.

Why not just get your a** out of bed and get the chair you want, where you want!! We were in ours by 8:15am on our last cruise out of San Juan.

I love seeing the look on people's faces when they come out to the pool deck( on the sea day) at noon, looking disgusted because they can't find a chair by the pool.

Do you actually know what a "chair hog" is?

If you get a chair at 7 AM and sit in it until midnight, that is fine. The problem is people that dump a book and a towel on a chair at 8 AM and do not actually use the chair for hours.

I think chair hogs know what they are doing is wrong, but they don't care. They think they are special because someone in their group (who probably lost a bet) got up early and laid some towels down on a few chairs, like the guy in BillOh's picture. Meanwhile the rest of group is sound asleep. I'm sorry but that is bull! And as for those who say get your a** out of bed if you want a chair...really?? I would be happy to get up early and get a chair if I intended to USE it at that time. Sitting at the pool at 7am is not something I want to do and neither does the "morning hog", that why he puts this towels down and probably heads back to bed.

Then of course there's the "greedy hog" this species claims more chairs then they will ever use. Case in point I sat by a family, mom and dad with 3 kids, kids as we all know don't sit long on a cruise and they shouldn't so much fun to be had... anyways mom and dad hog chairs for everyone. Mom and Dad relax on the chairs on and off, which is fine but meanwhile the 3 kids chairs are untouched, the kids are off having fun. If anyone inquired about the chairs mom would say they were for her kids, so empty the chairs sat. In about a 3 hour time span I saw the kids twice, when they first laid claim on the chairs and then for about 10 mins when all 3 of them sat on the same chair eating ice cream cones.

Mama & Papa chair hogs raising little chair hogs. :)

I end up dealing with chair hogs seemingly in every cruise. I assume that these towels and books and other stuff have been sitting on these chairs for at least 10 minutes before I get there. If I see a folded towel and a book on a couple of chairs and no one has come by in 20 minutes or so, I move them to another chair hog's chair. Before I sit down, I check to see if anyone paid attention to the fact that I may have moved their stuff. I'm not talking about chairs right next to the pool either, i'm talking usually 5 or 6 rows back, but still in the sun.

I've only had one situation where a chair hog actually came back - about an hour after we claimed the chairs for ourselves. Sure, they were upset, but you could also tell that they knew better than to leave for over an hour and a half or more.

At the end of the day this is really a simple concept. Like someone else said, you can tell when someone is actively using the chairs: someone will be watching them at a minimum, or the towel will be laid out and look sat on with other belongings under the chair. If you just throw a towel and a book on a chair and walk from the pool area completely, I'm going to take that chair.

:p Your story amuses me. Thanks, I am an early coffee person and I think I will try this for entertainment.;)

Thanks...always a good show! ;)

You may need to take one of your large travel coffee mugs for a full refill, (I love taking ours along on cruises) because the show lasts awhile and is great entertainment on those days at sea! :D

After seeing a chair being hogged for 45-an hour, I have removed their stuff and occupied it. Once or twice the hoggers have come back, told me that was their chair. I merely looked up from my book and said "Gee, the people who left it (pick a time past the time you laid claim) said they were done and I could have it." Went back to reading my book and ignored them.

As husband has told me, it takes two to have an argument. I chose not to be one of the two.

Tucker in Texas

In all seriousness, after reading these posts, I'm wondering if I should throw my beach chair in a duffel bag and bring it with me. We're driving to the port in Baltimore, so it's no hassle. Is it allowed, though?

My cruise is the week leading up to Easter/Passover and it's a vacation for a lot of schools. I know the ship is completely booked and I want to take ownership of my comfort and relaxation. I don't want to have to be mad at other passengers or the employees when rules aren't followed or enforced.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I don't usually care much for sitting near the pool, but enjoy the Serenity area on Carnival. Since we will be on RCL (Monarch of the Seas) for the first time next month, is there an Adults only area or a suggested "quieter" area to find a lounge chair to sit back, relax and read?

BTW, Serenity area on Carnival is also full of chair hogs who drop off their things to hold a chair for the day ..... even before the area is officially open!

Deck 7. Its not by the pool but nice breeze and your almost by yourself. Peace and quiet makes reading and also good place to take a nap

Are you recommending that we become chair hogs? I'll never do that.
Do you actually know what a "chair hog" is?

If you get a chair at 7 AM and sit in it until midnight, that is fine. The problem is people that dump a book and a towel on a chair at 8 AM and do not actually use the chair for hours.

I don't think anyone has a problem with people who USE the chairs -- even USE the chairs for a long period of time. The problem is with people who RESERVE the chairs and DON'T USE them.

Are you recommending that we become chair hogs? I'll never do that.I don't think anyone has a problem with people who USE the chairs -- even USE the chairs for a long period of time. The problem is with people who RESERVE the chairs and DON'T USE them.

No, I dont recommend you becoming a chair hog. I was simply saying rather than watch the chairs be taken, go down and get one for yourself.

Thanks...always a good show! ;)

You may need to take one of your large travel coffee mugs for a full refill, (I love taking ours along on cruises) because the show lasts awhile and is great entertainment on those days at sea! :D

Travel mug, that's the one thing I'm not forgetting this time. Now if could only get my wife up this early.

Travel mug, that's the one thing I'm not forgetting this time. Now if could only get my wife up this early.

After one too many trips up and down the stairs with those tiny little ship's coffee mugs, we realized how wonderful it was to walk the ship with our nice mugs from home.

Of course I have the same problem...getting the DH to get up early enough for those sunrise deck walks. That is why the coffee is so important! ;)

In all seriousness, after reading these posts, I'm wondering if I should throw my beach chair in a duffel bag and bring it with me. We're driving to the port in Baltimore, so it's no hassle. Is it allowed, though?

My cruise is the week leading up to Easter/Passover and it's a vacation for a lot of schools. I know the ship is completely booked and I want to take ownership of my comfort and relaxation. I don't want to have to be mad at other passengers or the employees when rules aren't followed or enforced.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I don't know RCI's policy, but on NCL you can bring pretty much anything with you as long as you store it in your stateroom. I brought my folding bike on my last cruise. :cool:

On my next cruise I'm not packing anything to read. I'm getting up in the morning to borrow something from the pool chairs. I will return it to the lost and found at the end of our cruise. Thanks in advance for sharing:D.

and if I find you touching my stuff you will be thrown into the pool or security will charge you with theft!!

I don't consider myself a chair hog but I do like to get up early in the morning go for a walk and put my stuff on some lounge chairs until I come back after breakfast or later.

Yes some times it may be a few hours but there are thousands of chairs on the ship, so what's the problem? This is common practice at hotels world wide. If you get up early what's the problem? Why do people get so upset over this? Do you expect to sleep-in until noon, come down to the pool and then move someone's stuff because you want to sit in their chair?

You are only hogging chairs if you lie on the thing all day. I like to take a break once in a while but I do leave my stuff on the chair!! I am up early so I am entitled to do this, it's just etiquette and common sense.

and if I find you touching my stuff you will be thrown into the pool or security will charge you with theft!!

I don't consider myself a chair hog but I do like to get up early in the morning go for a walk and put my stuff on some lounge chairs until I come back after breakfast or later.

Yes some times it may be a few hours but there are thousands of chairs on the ship, so what's the problem? This is common practice at hotels world wide. If you get up early what's the problem? Why do people get so upset over this? Do you expect to sleep-in until noon, come down to the pool and then move someone's stuff because you want to sit in their chair?

You are only hogging chairs if you lie on the thing all day. I like to take a break once in a while but I do leave my stuff on the chair!! I am up early so I am entitled to do this, it's just etiquette and common sense.

The problem is that it is not YOUR chair if your butt isn't in it! There are rules about chairs being empty for more than 30 minutes. I will ask that the deck patrol move your things if the chair is not occupied so you can take up the whole "theft" thing with the cruiseline.:rolleyes:

It is not.

You are a chair hog, and I will have no problem removing your stuff if it is on a chair for longer than one half hour.

You state above "Yes some times it may be a few hours."

That is so incredibly ignorant and selfish, and please note IT IS AGAINST THE RULES! SECURITY SHOULD REMOVE YOUR POSSESSIONS ACCORDING TO CRUISE LINE POLICY.

If you are not using the chair, it should be open to those that wish to use them.

If you lie in a chair all day, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

You are 100% wrong.

Please leave your Beach Bag there also as it makes a convenient disposal container for empty beer bottles and drink glasses!. :D

That is absolutely absurd. You definitely are a chair hog.

We will be taking our first Royal cruise on the Radiance. From reading this thread it seems the three of us will have difficulty trying to find chairs in the sun. Are there other areas of the ship besides the pool area, where we will find a spot? We've never had a problem on our Princess cruises finding somewhere to read and enjoy the sun.

Just back from the Explorer- deck crew were moving anything left on the chairs for more than 30 minutes in the solarium. I am an early riser, coffee and book in hand on the chair at 7. It was great to see a crew member already at the pool and walking around checking and removings all items after 30 minutes. Some people came back 3-4 hours later and were upset because there belongings were removed-crew handled it nicely, just stated the rules and returned there belongings.:)

Archived