What if your BC and license have different last names???

My friend who is going on the cruise with me this Friday is using her birth certificate and drivers license to get on the boat. But, because of a previous marriage, her maiden name is on her BC and her married name is on her DL. IS THIS A PROBLEM?!? :confused:

Should she bring a copy of her MARRIAGE license with her to verify her identity? PLEASE HELP! We leave this week!

Thanks in advance to those who respond

It depends on what name she booked under. If she booked the cruise under her maiden name but her DL shows her married name then yes, she does need a Marriage License. If she booked under her married name and her DL has her married name, she should be just fine with the BC and DL. The DL serves as a 'bridging document'. I have heard that RCCL is a little more strict with bridging documents. I would maybe take it just for peace of mind!

ummm the question wasn't whether married women's identification has name discrepancies but rather how to deal with them.....O B V I O U S L Y her paperwork will have different last names but, as a 1st timer at all this cruising stuff, I wanted to make sure we aren't driving 18 hours to miami only to find out she can't go bc she didn't bring the right paperwork!!!

Thanks to ALL who helped answer my question and happy cruising!

ummm the question wasn't whether married women's identification has name discrepancies but rather how to deal with them.....O B V I O U S L Y her paperwork will have different last names but, as a 1st timer at all this cruising stuff, I wanted to make sure we aren't driving 18 hours to miami only to find out she can't go bc she didn't bring the right paperwork!!!

Thanks to ALL who helped answer my question and happy cruising!

The 100% correct answer to your Q about her name differences on two documents is to bring what one previous poster called the "bridging document." In this case it is her marriage license as it will show the paper trail of how she arrived at the name of Something as shown on her DL when she bagan with the name of Whatever as shown on her BC.

Have a wonderful cruise, but beware: cruising is addictive.

No married woman's name is the same on her BC and DL! Unless, if you use your maiden name as your middle name!

Which is why people who have different names listed on the BC and DL must bring a bridging document (such as a marriage license) in order to board. While often times the people at the pier do not request to see the bridging document, there have been many, many reports on these boards of times where people were asked to produce a bridging document. If the name on your BC and DL do not match and you do not bring a bridging document such as a marriage license you stand a chance of being denied boarding.

My friend who is going on the cruise with me this Friday is using her birth certificate and drivers license to get on the boat. But, because of a previous marriage, her maiden name is on her BC and her married name is on her DL. IS THIS A PROBLEM?!? :confused:

Should she bring a copy of her MARRIAGE license with her to verify her identity? PLEASE HELP! We leave this week!

Thanks in advance to those who respond

Just to make sure that you have no problems and have all the documents that are needed, call the cruise line and explain. My children have a different last name than I do and I have to bring a noterized copy of my divorce from their father, a noterized letter from their father, and a noterized copy of my marriage license showing my previous name and my current name. I was given all that information by the cruise line. So glad I called, as I would have never thought to get a letter from their father, as they live with me. Bringing to much paperwork is WAY better than not enough!

Enjoy your vacation!

No married woman's name is the same on her BC and DL! Unless, if you use your maiden name as your middle name!

I know a LOT of married women - particularly professional ones - who have kept their maiden names.

Whatever paperwork your friend has that shows the names,and the name change, bring with you.

It's better to just have it all with you just in case, and think about a passport for future cruises. You'll be hooked!

Have a great time.

Just to make sure that you have no problems and have all the documents that are needed, call the cruise line and explain. My children have a different last name than I do and I have to bring a noterized copy of my divorce from their father, a noterized letter from their father, and a noterized copy of my marriage license showing my previous name and my current name. I was given all that information by the cruise line. So glad I called, as I would have never thought to get a letter from their father, as they live with me. Bringing to much paperwork is WAY better than not enough!

Enjoy your vacation!

Check out the homeland security requirements.

U.S. Citizen Passport Requirement

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) when fully implemented on June 1, 2009 will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States.

Passport Requirements

A valid passport is a requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

Check out the homeland security requirements.

U.S. Citizen Passport Requirement

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) when fully implemented on June 1, 2009 will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States.

Passport Requirements

A valid passport is a requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

And your point is?

The OP and everyone else who has posted on the thread appear to be aware of what the rules are. The OP's question, which asks what paperwork to bring when the name on the birth certificate doesn't match the name on the photo ID isn't addressed in the rule you've cited, so how does it answer the OP's question?

The answer, as has been stated more than once on the thread, is to bring an official "bridge document" such as a marriage certificate, that provides the link between the name on the birth certificate and the name on the photo ID.

You also may not be aware that some cruise lines requirements go beyond the government rules, so it always makes sense to check your cruise line's requirements. For example, there are some luxury cruise lines and cruise lines that don't often do closed loop cruises that do not accept the birth certificate/photo ID combination and insist that you have a valid passport. There are cruise lines that, for certain itineraries, have a blanket requirement that your passport be valid for six months beyond the end of your cruise, even though the countries being visited may not actually have such a rule. That way they don't have to be responsible for keeping tabs on constantly changing passport requirements.

I'm pretty sure it's been a long time since women were forced to change their name in order to marry.

Archived