Celebrity dumps disabled man on island.

detroitcruiser

He must have known the butler could not be a personal attendant. As for the lip on the floor between the bathroom & cabin, if it was an accessible cabin then it should not have been there.

The ship could have been rocking when he fell off the toilet, he might do fine in his w/c but lack the upper body strength & stability to stay seated in all circumstances. I am sure he and anyone who is confined to a wheelchair would know he'd need assistance getting back up if he landed on the floor. You have to expect a ship may not be level and stable at all times like the floor in your house.

I don't think being an activist who files suit when he sees violations of the ADA makes him a scammer, it's what activists do. But in this case I'm not sure what the violation would be.

I thought it was very poorly written for a news article. It sounded more like something from a blog.

Yes! That's exactly what I was trying to say - it was written like a blog or even a "letter to the editor", but wasn't labeled as one. Definitely not very professionally written.

I agree with everything you have stated. However I do have a friend in a wheelchair who thanks us when we sit at eye level with her. It means she doesn't have to sit in an uncomfortable position looking up and having a conversation with us. It is also difficult for her to hear every piece of the conversation if we are standing above her. So I don't think that is an unreasonable request. Possibly one that might have been met had he explained why he wished to have a conversation at eye level. Sue

Thanks for pointing that out.

I also understand that the "looking down" position is one that women have been made aware of in consciousness raising sessions, and when confronted in this manner, should stand to be on eye level (something this man was unable to do) with the person who has previously been "looking down" at them, if the person will not be seated. It puts them on more of an equal standing.

When one is standing talking down to some one it is said he/she is in a superior position, and the one looking up is in an inferior position. These are just definitions of the words, but they do take on extra meaning when you are the handicapped person, or the minority person put in that position.

Please note, too, in the story, that it was a tour representative (the nude cruise arranger?) and officials from the cruise line who were in the room when he asked that they be seated and they refused (to give up their "superior" position). The officials may not have been aware of any of this superior/inferior stuff.

Since we're all just speculating as to why this happened, my guess is that his wife was booked but canceled after final payment, and they assumed the butler would replace her help. Because he was originally booked with a "helper" he probably didn't read the contract concerning special needs. Just a guess.

I'd also guess the tour operator misled him that the butler would be at his beck and call.

I also bet that his world tour in 2002 did not involve being handicapped (as one poster said, MS is progressive).

There IS a link on the original nude cruise website for special needs, and it mentions handicapped cabins, recommending you book one.

What is wrong with being an activist -- securing civil rights for others.

Curious that the only part of what I posted that u respond to is about him being an activist..and at no time did I critizise that, I simply made a statement and a presumption or opinion if u prefer, that he is using being an activist to further something only he seems to know & make some $...in a rather dubious fashion.

This IMO anyway rather undermines those activists that are really attempting to help others..

This gentleman? is doing exactly the opposite and making a mockery of activism..but of course again, it is JMO..

I hope that answers your question..

Breaking news out of Detroit. Celebrity disembarked a disability rights leader on an island after he requested assistance from the cruise line.

http://theoaklandpress.com/articles/2011/04/09/life/doc4da078e9400ea734339385.txt

Folks, it is a column / opinion piece, not a news article.

Someone's confused. What other facts are not what they seem?

Also of note, just because he was on a nude cruise doesn't mean he went nude or even picked that sailing because of the nude group. My wife and I are going on a gay cruise later this year, but neither of us are gay (we're just cheap, and boy did we get a deal).

This is another unknown fact. Someone mentioned that berths were not available on X's website for that 10 night cruise, so it appears that the cruise was chartered to the nude group, which means he booked a nude cruise, and was not, like in your case, a non-participant of a themed cruise.

True, there are cruises with a main theme, like bridge, or quilting, but other passengers not a bit interested in bridge or quilting may book.

The people who booked thru an agency for the bridge and/or quilting cruise may have some special meetings/perks that the regular non-participant does not get.

For instance, you or I, if we gathered a bunch of friends to cruise together, could get a "group cruise" rate and perhaps negotiate some perks like obc or free wine etc. That is not unusual at all. What is it, book 9 cabins and get one free ticket in the category most people have booked? So you need double that number of cabins to get a full cabin free. And some agents do not take the free cabin, but reduce the fare equally among all the cabins.

Being a gay couple I couldent think of anything worse then a gay cruise and clearly I'm not anti-gay however has a straight couple your wife will love all the eye candy and friendly flirting and you might even be eye-candy make sure your wife holds on to you tight :)

Kidding aside I hope you have a great cruise :)

Nigel & Rob

My wife and I are going on a gay cruise later this year, but neither of us are gay (we're just cheap, and boy did we get a deal).

Your comment is as offensive as it is ignorant. I only hope that if you become disabled in your lifetime (most people do at some point) that people show you more respect than you have shown them.

As someone who's been disabled since the age of two, I have found more than a few fellow disabled who will do anything to prove a point. You would not believe some of the things I've seen some disabled persons do just to see what would happen. If this man is as much an activist as the article seems to say, I would not put anything past him. So, I find his comment neither offensive nor ignorant, but actually containing some truth. People will do anything to push a point.

Fungo, the US Supreme Court decided in 2005 that cruise ships sailing out of US ports must be ADA compliant to the extent that making a ship compliant does not cause undue financial hardship nor compromise safety, even if the ship is registered in a foreign country.

I've cruised Celebrity at least 25 times and have never encountered anything but kind and helpful staff. But at least I know that I would never expect a staff person to assist me in any way, I know what my limitations are and I would never book a non-accessible cabin. And, I have a problem with the whole commode incident. Something just doesn't sound right with that story.

Curious that the only part of what I posted that u respond to is about him being an activist..and at no time did I critizise that, I simply made a statement and a presumption or opinion if u prefer, that he is using being an activist to further something only he seems to know & make some $...in a rather dubious fashion.

This IMO anyway rather undermines those activists that are really attempting to help others..

This gentleman? is doing exactly the opposite and making a mockery of activism..but of course again, it is JMO..

I hope that answers your question..

Is it just my computer or are some of these posts coming out weird - on my screen the one I am quoting has my screen name at the top but the comment not even in a box at the bottom.

In any case if this post was directed toward me, when I posted it was not to you crusecrasy - or anyone else specifically. Many had commented on the disabled man being litigious.

Being a gay couple I couldent think of anything worse then a gay cruise and clearly I'm not anti-gay however has a straight couple your wife will love all the eye candy and friendly flirting and you might even be eye-candy make sure your wife holds on to you tight :)

Kidding aside I hope you have a great cruise :)

Nigel & Rob

Well, I doubt I'll be anyone's eye candy, but I don't discriminate. Flattery is flattery.

Thanks for the well wishes. We are expecting a fantastic time.

Fungo, the US Supreme Court decided in 2005 that cruise ships sailing out of US ports must be ADA compliant to the extent that making a ship compliant does not cause undue financial hardship nor compromise safety, even if the ship is registered in a foreign country.

Thanks for that info. Interesting and IMO fair.

I've cruised Celebrity at least 25 times and have never encountered anything but kind and helpful staff.

Darcie,

It is plain to see that it would be a thrill sailing with you. :)

The fact that he was kicked of the ship was "news"

Not necessarily. People get kicked off ships all the time, which doesn't make it news - less so 'breaking news.'

the format was however an opinion piece.

So if it's news, is there an actual news story anywhere, or is this the only 'source?'

Not necessarily. People get kicked off ships all the time, which doesn't make it news - less so 'breaking news.'

So if it's news, is there an actual news story anywhere, or is this the only 'source?'

Yes, unless there is a reputable source, the thread should be removed from the record/forum as heresay. :D

I just find it a little coincidental that you were in law school in Fl according to a previous post from 2009 and you say you are legally blind above. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22077393&highlight=#post22077393

From the article in the Oakland Press by OP

"Keskeny’s only remedy is to have his lawyer, Bernstein, who is blind, travel to Miami and arbitrate with the cruise line. In addition, Bernstein is unable under the ticket contract to recover his cost and time of traveling and related case costs to represent Kreskeny in Miami."

Interesting!

Laura

Yes....interesting indeed.

The picture is starting to take shape....

( now, brace yourselves....we're about to hear the argument from the plaintiff...ooops, I mean, the '' other side'' )

The fact that he was kicked of the ship was "news" the format was however an opinion piece.

I did a Google search using the name of the gentleman removed from the ship. It appears that single article is the only piece (source) and has been picked up and repeated verbatim by a variety of websites and newspapers across the country including USA Today. The language chosen by the author (syndicated columnist?) himself in the article is somewhat inflammatory and slanted towards the disabled audience as if there was a hidden agenda. I am guessing no fact checking was involved and since Celebrity are legally bound to a 'No comment' response we are left with this one source. I wonder if there will be a followup piece once all is said and done, and if found in favor of Celebrity Cruises how the originating author will then report that story?

Whatever mistakes happened, this man should be entitled to his cruise fare back and given a handicapped cabin on a future cruise- with the clear understanding that if he requires more than one visit from the ship's doctor for being unable to function on his own- he will again be disembarked.

I had a grandmother in a wheelchair and always wanted to take her on a cruise. It is totally doable but I don't think that it is wise to sail without help. In fact, bringing a trained nurse along would have been wise.

My question would be: Who told him that his cabin would be ok for a wheelchair? Did he fill out the special needs form that is on the Celebrity website. For example: I have special needs, youth programs. I read everything on the website about this before I sail. Given his condition: a visit to the website would have made it clear what to expect onboard. A vulnerable person like himself should have done this. Not all cruise lines are alike. He had a positive cruise experience before but he depended on the kindness of strangers and he probably had a handi-capped stateroom. A Larger stateroom is not a wheelchair accessible stateroom... he should have known this.

He make it sound like he hired a private bulter - the story is BS, if you are in that bad of of condition you do not travel alone. The bulters are there to provide a little extra service to 20 or so staterooms not just one person.

I agree with graphic guy, this person obviously does not live alone if he cannot even get back into a wheel chair. Celebrity does not advertise nursing home or assisted living type care on a cruse ship. It is probably company policy to not intervene in these types of situations because of possible injury to the cruiser as well as the employee.

Very biased article and should not have even been posted.

Archived