Tile Question

Travalot

Another post just reminded me about the tiles. We never got them on our recent Eurodam cruise (not sure we "deserve" them since I didn't remember for 15 days after departing the ship).

My question is, did we have to go to the Mariner's Lunch (which we didn't) in order to receive them? Do they sometimes show up in the cabin?

Just curious about other cruiser's experiences so I can learn. I AM going to do something with them someday.

On all of our recent cruises, they give the tiles at the lunch. We have not gotten tiles in the cabin for probably a year or more.

You could contact Mariners Society and ask they send tiles to you. Others have reported here, Mariners Society was really good about sending them.

Nothing to lose by asking. :)

I'm not sure if all HAL ships do it the same way, but on our recent Noordam cruise the tiles were given out at the Mariner lunch. We decided not to attend without thinking that might keep us from getting our tiles. Since we were enjoying a deluxe veranda suite I asked the concierge about it and she had them for us the next morning. I assume we could have also asked for them at the front desk.

Like Sail7S, the last 3 or 4 cruises we have gotten our tiles at the Mariner's Brunch either at the table or at the door as we were leaving. But I believe if you RSVP that you won't be attending the brunch, the tiles should be delivered to your cabin.

Another post just reminded me about the tiles. We never got them on our recent Eurodam cruise (not sure we "deserve" them since I didn't remember for 15 days after departing the ship).

My question is, did we have to go to the Mariner's Lunch (which we didn't) in order to receive them? Do they sometimes show up in the cabin?

Just curious about other cruiser's experiences so I can learn. I AM going to do something with them someday.

The tiles are only given out at lunch. If you don't attend the lunch you can ask for them at the Front Office while onboard or call the Mariner Society upon your return

it has been a while since the tiles have been delivered to the cabins

on our ryndam cruise in october the tiles were neither on the tables at the brunch or on a table as you left the dining room -- so when we got home we contacted the mariner society -- 2 tiles arrived at our house within a few days -- the concierges had told us that the ship had a new shipment coming

another time when we didn't go to the brunch -- the concierges got 2 tiles for us

The tiles are only given out at lunch. If you don't attend the lunch you can ask for them at the Front Office while onboard or call the Mariner Society upon your return

Well, once upon a time, the tiles used to be placed on your bed by your stateroom steward in the evening on the same day of the Mariner's Lunch if you opted not to attend it! :) Why has that procedure be eliminated? :confused:

it has been a while since the tiles have been delivered to the cabins

on our ryndam cruise in october the tiles were neither on the tables at the brunch or on a table as you left the dining room -- so when we got home we contacted the mariner society -- 2 tiles arrived at our house within a few days -- the concierges had told us that the ship had a new shipment coming

another time when we didn't go to the brunch -- the concierges got 2 tiles for us

And on my recent 14-Day Southern Caribbean cruise onboard the Maasdam, stewards were distributing the tiles, (from cardboard boxes), to the tables DURING the Mariner's Lunch! Once upon a time, the tiles had already been distributed to each place setting at the tables BEFORE entering the MDR! :confused: I thought that it kind of disrupted the Lunch! :(

Well, once upon a time, the tiles used to be placed on your bed by your stateroom steward in the evening on the same day of the Mariner's Lunch if you opted not to attend it! :) Why has that procedure be eliminated? :confused:

i can remember when the tiles were placed on your bed whether or not you attended the brunch

And on my recent 14-Day Southern Caribbean cruise onboard the Maasdam, stewards were distributing the tiles, (from cardboard boxes), to the tables DURING the Mariner's Lunch! Once upon a time, the tiles had already been distributed to each place setting at the tables BEFORE entering the MDR! :confused: I thought that it kind of disrupted the Lunch! :(

that certainly isn't a good idea to disrupt people eating their brunch to distribute the tiles

Ours were on our table last time - nothing was disrupted.

I don't think this is a question that DBA can answer. Things change with time and that's the way life seems to go.:)

We were at a table hosted by Captain on one of our cruises and they placed a tile at his place setting. At the end of lunch, he handed me his tile so I got two for that cruise. I think we have more than enough to tile a full walk in shower without use of any white tiles ....just delft. :D Hmmm, now there's an idea. ;)

Personally I think it's good that they don't bring them to your cabin if you don't attend. I don't care for the tiles and I don't take mine home. There is no sense bringing them to my cabin because I will leave them.

My husband was ill the day of the Mariner's brunch and we were unable to attend. I emailed HAL after we returned home and inquired about the tiles. I received a quick response and the tiles were in our mailbox within the week. :D

I thought that it kind of disrupted the Lunch! :(
:confused: Why would that be any more disruptive than placing dishes of food on the table, or clearing plates, or pouring water or wine, or anything else that is going on? It's just one more stop at the table by a steward which doesn't bother me at all.

Was wondering what HAL travellers did with the tiles when they get them home?

Mine are stacked away somewhere gathering dust! Such a shame because they are quite nice, but other than giving them away to friends or family what can one do with them? Any other suggestions to add to the one about re-tiling your bathroom?

Was wondering what HAL travellers did with the tiles when they get them home?

Mine are stacked away somewhere gathering dust! Such a shame because they are quite nice, but other than giving them away to friends or family what can one do with them? Any other suggestions to add to the one about re-tiling your bathroom?

we have quite a collection of them

originally we were going to cover the top of our bar in the game room with -- then 2 things happened -- one we noticed that the newer tiles were thinner and the new styles did not really look as nice as the old tiles -- and 2nd we remodeled the game room and the bar is now gone as we rarely used it

On our recent Statendam cruise we attended the Mariner brunch on day 12 of our 14 day cruise. Very nice affair. We received the tiles but are not sure what to do with them. Coasters on the deck/patio?:D

a few years ago a cc person showed a wooden tray that they lined with the tiles

ours are just sitting in stakes on a bookcase shelf

Archived