??s about sailing out of NY

alwalaska

1) Will the NCL Star be sailing from Manhattan? The port information I found mentioned Manhattan and Brooklyn but didn't say which cruise lines sailed from each.

2) Are there any hotels that do stay and cruise packages in NY?

3) We are driving to NY, so if we want to save money, what is our best option? Should we stay in NJ and drive in the morning of or stay in NYC?

4) Any other tips or information?

1) Will the NCL Star be sailing from Manhattan? The port information I found mentioned Manhattan and Brooklyn but didn't say which cruise lines sailed from each.

3) We are driving to NY, so if we want to save money, what is our best option? Should we stay in NJ and drive in the morning of or stay in NYC?

In the metro New York Area, space is at a premium so you'll find a few hotels that do park and cruise but not many and zero of these in Manhattan.

The least hassle is to park at the port but it isn't cheap.

ncl ships dock at the Manhattan terminal usually near pier 88 or 90

I think we can safely make that a little more certain than "usually near". ;)

OP...yes, your best bet for a reasonably priced overnight hotel would normally be to stay somewhere in NJ that's an hour or shorter drive from Manhattan. One possible area to look in that is likely to be on your route from Ohio is Parsippany. (I am assuming you will be using Interstate 80)

FYI, parking at the Manhattan cruise terminal is $30 per day.

I think we can safely make that a little more certain than "usually near". ;)

OP...yes, your best bet for a reasonably priced overnight hotel would normally be to stay somewhere in NJ that's an hour or shorter drive from Manhattan. One possible area to look in that is likely to be on your route from Ohio is Parsippany. (I am assuming you will be using Interstate 80)

FYI, parking at the Manhattan cruise terminal is $30 per day.

And here I thought sailing out of Bayonne was expensive for parking. It looks like we will probably use a free Marriott night to stay in Parsipanny like we did for the Explorer of the Seas and drive in the morning of and park at the port.

I wonder if with the costs of parking and gas if it wouldn't be cheaper for the 4 of us to fly, but we would still need somewhere the night before since I am too tense of a traveler to fly in the day of.

I am also searching for hotels for one night prior to a Princess cruise, I found on the Hilton website that the Hilton Newark Airport has pretty reasonable Stay and Fly packages, I don't know why you coudn't use this for a cruise as well, its worth checking into.

We just booked a night at the Hilton Gardens in Secaucus for $123/night that includes taxes and we can park our car for the duration of the cruise.

BTW, our cruise is scheduled for Sept. 11th out of NYC. Now we have to figure out how to get from the hotel to the pier.

That's a great deal. No one has mentioned being able to leave your car at Hilton Gardens. Park/Sleeps for NYC are scarce. Did you call the hotel directly to make that arrangement? You need to book a car service. Try Black Executive NJ based) or Dial7 (NY based) to get quotes.

Could you post back after you do this? It would be nice to know if you have a good experience.

For Newark Airport I like trinityreservations.com - usually the best park/sleep prices and they quote with tax included.

I am also searching for hotels for one night prior to a Princess cruise, I found on the Hilton website that the Hilton Newark Airport has pretty reasonable Stay and Fly packages, I don't know why you coudn't use this for a cruise as well, its worth checking into.

While this would work, you will spend almost as much money for transport from NJ to Brooklyn as you will parking in Brooklyn. Figure $80-100 EACH WAY from the airport area to Brooklyn Cruise terminal. Parking is $23 the first day and $20 each day after.

Unless you are willing to take public transport, it may be cheaper and much more convenient just to park in Brooklyn.

I wonder if with the costs of parking and gas if it wouldn't be cheaper for the 4 of us to fly, but we would still need somewhere the night before since I am too tense of a traveler to fly in the day of.

You really need to crunch the numbers, including quite frankly time and fatigue factors. Depending on how many MR points you have, you could pony-up for a free night near the airport.

You really need to crunch the numbers, including quite frankly time and fatigue factors. Depending on how many MR points you have, you could pony-up for a free night near the airport.

Which airport are you talking about? A ride from the Newark area to the Manhattan cruise port is almost $100 each way for the 4 of us. That offsets the cost of parking for a week.

Luckily I have 14 months to play with this and figure something out.

Archived