Can I bring my own beach umbrella?

I too have sun issues & always take a small umbrella. Last time on the Celebrity Millennium we were provided with a golf umbrella in our concierge room. My husband used that same umbrella to help him walk around outside the ship (he has a slight leg problem). So this time around on our Explorer trip since we are not flying, we will take a similar umbrella as they are not provided by RCI. Take with you whatever you wish as long as it does not interfere with company policy.

On several of our past cruises we have arrived at beach where all the umbrellas were taken or broken. Once even when we took our small grandson with us. We had to walk a long distance to find some shade at the beach. Happy travels:)

At first I had tunnel vision when reading this post. Then I started to think outside the box. Who would question a golfer for bringing his favorite clubs. A diver/snorkler for bringing his own gear. Even a avid fisherman for bringing his own pole. There are some great fishing piers in these exotic ports. A vacation is to enjoy what you like doing most. The reason financial, medical, familarity does not matter. Having a great vacation matters. So by all means, have no worry and bring that umbella.:) Some of the posters must have been the ones snickering at me in CoCo Cay. I was the one who blew up (4) dollar store air matresses with my battery air blower. Before you call me cheap, would it make a difference if my GD is allergic to the form mats. OK, you were right I am cheap. It felt great not paying $40.00 for a half hour use.:D

Edited by cruzin76
  • Like 1

It's a fantastic idea! You can take the umbrella to the pool deck at 6 am, lay it across multiple chairs and save a whole bunch all at once.

Sincerely,

A. Chairhog

LOL. Since we are thinking outside the box, let's protest the lack of enforcement by bringing our own chairs.:D

That made me LOL and think of this...

a-christmas-story.jpg

"You'll shoot yer eye out, kid"

Love it!!! Gotta be my favorite Christmas flick of all time!

OP: Save yourself the hassle of schlepping an umbrella. They have a gazillion umbrellas in Bermuda. I'm sure there'll be one for you.

At first I had tunnel vision when reading this post. Then I started to think outside the box. Who would question a golfer for bringing his favorite clubs. A diver/snorkler for bringing his own gear. Even a avid fisherman for bringing his own pole. There are some great fishing piers in these exotic ports. A vacation is to enjoy what you like doing most. The reason financial, medical, familarity does not matter. Having a great vacation matters. So by all means, have no worry and bring that umbella.:) Some of the posters must have been the ones snickering at me in CoCo Cay. I was the one who blew up (4) dollar store air matresses with my battery air blower. Before you call me cheap, would it make a difference if my GD is allergic to the form mats. OK, you were right I am cheap. It felt great not paying $40.00 for a half hour use.:D

Apples and oranges. Good golf clubs are personal and made to fit; snorkel gear is personally hygienic; fishing poles for deep sea fishing can be custom made....very little that's personal about an umbrella. OP is simply looking for "insurance" so they can be in the shade.

That made me LOL and think of this...

a-christmas-story.jpg

"You'll shoot yer eye out, kid"

OP, you shouldn't have a problem with bringing your own beach umbrella provided it is small enough to fit through the various security scanners when boarding the ship.

That's too damn funny! I can't stand it!

Apples and oranges. Good golf clubs are personal and made to fit; snorkel gear is personally hygienic; fishing poles for deep sea fishing can be custom made....very little that's personal about an umbrella. OP is simply looking for "insurance" so they can be in the shade.
All the same fruit. A reason to enjoy your vacation!

The one in that pic looks quite manageable and I could see why some might want to bring their own if they are similar to the one shown.

On a slightly different note... CDNJ...12 bags?!? I'm totally not questioning the need or anything but wow, that's a lot of luggage to bring along :eek: I can appreciate the appeal of being able to drive to your port of departure... :)

That is for the four of us including carry ons and only when we leave locally. Its an easy break down :). We each have one super large suitcase (4), the four of us go into 2 garment bags, 1 duffle for shoes and 1 duffle for toiletries, snorkel gear, ice skates and additional shoes and whatever else. [And, 4 carry ons. = 12] We always have 2 cabins, so storing them isnt an issue- they go right under the bed. I know 12 sounds ridiculous, lol but broken down, not so much.

That is for the four of us including carry ons and only when we leave locally. Its an easy break down :). We each have one super large suitcase (4), the four of us go into 2 garment bags, 1 duffle for shoes and 1 duffle for toiletries, snorkel gear, ice skates and additional shoes and whatever else. [And, 4 carry ons. = 12] We always have 2 cabins, so storing them isnt an issue- they go right under the bed. I know 12 sounds ridiculous, lol but broken down, not so much.

I knew there had to be a good explanation :) I thought it was just your DH and you but with 4 it makes complete sense.

I took a large suitcase, my garment bag and a large camera bag on my Oasis B2B (11 nights total) in Dec. 2009. I ended up coming home with two additional bags because of everything I purchased on that cruise.

Thank goodness the upgrade to 1st class airfare (and the additional checked luggage allowance) was cheap or else I'd have paid more to get the bags home than it cost for my own seat on the flight.

:)

Personally, I would not want to lug a beach umbrella around with me. Do not worry about them running out of them at the beach. There will be plenty to go around. At every beach I have been to, there have always been umbrellas to rent.

There are lots of beach coves on Bermuda which are nice to sit at where there are no umbrela or chair rentals nearby.

In addition at Fort St. Catherine's beach there was not a rental to be seen. Several people had the foresight to bring there own sun/windscreens/chairs. I was quite envious.

Edited by NordicPrince

OP....I don't find your question unusual.....I took an umbrella and beach chairs on a MR cruise last January. Often we go to a strip of beach where these items are not rented. When you drive to the port anything is game.

Enjoy

Edited by land lover

Several people on our Oasis cruise brought their own Flowrider boards and, well, we bought our own after that cruise and plan no taking them with us next week on the Freedom :D They are not as long as the ones on the cruise ship, lighter and we made our own carrying case for them :p

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Last time I went on a cruise to Bermuda it was $11. a day to rent a beach umbrella. I only was staying a few hours a day on the beach so it would have been worth it to have brought my own umbrella. Hope this helps

I always take my reflective collapsible umbrella with me on all my cruises. It doubles as a rain umbrella, but reflects the sun. I got in online from a solar product line in Hawaii. Love it! When you've had a hunk of skin cancer removed you want to protect yourself.

Last trip on Princess this past March/April we drove to the port of Los Angeles. I knew it was going to involve several beach stops, and also that Princess doesn't have the wide promenade deck like RCCL, so we bought collapsible chairs. My avatar has a picture of one overlooking Moorea on the back of the Star Princess.

These were very easy to carry in their shoulder bag, lightweight, and came in very handy. I even parked myself outside the San Pedro dock with all the luggage when hubby went to get the car after the cruise.

Between the reflective umbrella and the folding chair, we can go anywhere, sit anywhere, and I can be protected from the sun at the same time.

I'm working on getting a box to pack the chairs in so we can check them as one piece of luggage on our future cruise. Our next flight allows 2 checked bags each.

I also have a self-inflating mattress pad (single size) that I got from a sporting good store. It goes into the outside pocket of my suitcase and I've got a more comfy sleep anywhere I go.

We also take a fan with us everywhere that folds flat. $11 at Walmart.

Our luggage is always within the allowance, but we have our comfort items with us, too. :D

I didn't read all the posts here but I don't know if anyone mentioned but the easiest way to travel around Bermuda is the public transportation buses so make sure you are comfortable taking it in the bus or pay for a cab. Just a heads up for your planning

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Like the OP, I cannot sit in the sun any amount of time. If the umbrella collapses to a carrying size, I don't see why she should not bring it. Those of us who really sunburn easily with an afternoon on the beach think of bringing umbrellas or verifying there is shade when others would be OK with the umbrellas being all rented or no shade. After all, it's a beach day, right?

My husband brings a suitcase packed with his dive gear. He could rent it, but prefers his own equipment. He keeps it in the bag until he dives and then dries it and puts it away in the suitcase under the bed. I never thought he was crazy for doing this and I am the one tripping over it at times. We live in Kansas and this is a chance to dive.

I hope the OP can find an umbrella that folds up easily and is not too heavy to carry. I hope she brings it if she finds the one she wants. This is her vacation!

We are going to Bermuda on July 2 out of NY on the Explorer of the Seas. Since I don't have to fly I would like to bring my own beach umbrella and take it with us when we go to the beach. Am I allowed to bring that on board? Or should I just rent one in Bermuda? My only concern is if all the umbrellas are already rented by the time we get to the beach...

You don't say which beach you're planning on going to; not all beaches have umbrellas or chairs for rent. If you are going to Horseshoe Bay, they have a lot of chairs and umbrellas available. However, depending on what time you get there and how many cruise ships are in port that day I have seen them run out of chairs and umbrellas. We usually arrive around 9AM, and leave around 2-2:30 PM. The last time we were there, they ran out of chairs and umbrellas around noon. When we started gathering our stuff to leave I had several desperate people running up to me to ask for our chairs and umbrella. They offered me cash to cover the deposits plus my rental cost, and I gave them the receipts so they could get the deposits back.

They may not allow it on the bus (in Bermuda) and it may not fit in a cab.

They most certainly do allow them on the bus! We travelled to Bermuda from Boston last year and drove to the port. We live down the street to an ocean beach on Cape Cod, so we are very familiar sand chairs and umbrellas. We packed two carry ons, each had a small beach chair and lightweight umbrella bungee corded to the suitcase. We were able to explore some amazing beaches, far from the crowd and the rentals, which we absolutely could not have stayed at for any length of time without shade. We would stay on the beach for hours, have virtually no crowds, and were comfortable under the sun!

Edited by capecodrealtor
personal information was revealed

I think most of us reading this thread probably imagined one of those big heavy beach umbrellas that requires a shovel to dig a hole 12 inches deep in order to keep the umbrella up. That I think would be ridiculous to bring onboard. But if it's a foldable lightweight collapsible umbrella? Sure, why not? We all bring comforts from home to make our vacation more enjoyable.