*LIVE* from Aboard the Zuiderdam! 4/22-5/19

ironin

Quick note before resuming radio silence as one of us is about to get a pedicure:

The lack of posts thus far is not an indication of either disappointment or distress. Rather, we're having too much fun being completely irresponsible to sit still long enough to sign on and compose a coherent post.:D

We'd promise to try harder in the future, but would have to simultaneously advise readers not give any more credence to such a promise than that issued by the average politician at election time. :p

BTW, today's Daily Explorer is now posted on our blog (see link in original comment), as are copies of the dinner menu for today, an actual room service breakfast menu, and the Pinnacle Grill menu and current wine list. :cool:

... but would have to simultaneously advise readers not give any more credence to such a promise than that issued by the average politician at election time. :p

BTW, today's Daily Explorer is now posted on our blog (see link in original comment), as are copies of the dinner menu for today, an actual room service breakfast menu, and the Pinnacle Grill menu and current wine list. :cool:

Much as I appreciate and enjoy "travelling with you". let me be the first to say: ENJOY!

If I may ask, how are you getting the Daily Planners, Menus, etc. in pdf format - are you starting from printed copies or do you somehow have access to online/computerized copies?

Just relax and have a great time. Your blog is great and so many HAL newbies and devotees will be grateful for the menus and info.

Thank you so much - enjoy your cruise :):)

Much as I appreciate and enjoy "travelling with you". let me be the first to say: ENJOY!

If I may ask, how are you getting the Daily Planners, Menus, etc. in pdf format - are you starting from printed copies or do you somehow have access to online/computerized copies?

I'm using an amazing Fujitsu ScanSnap 1100 portable scanner. It weighs only 12 oz., scans pages in 7.5 seconds, came with some neat software and is, I think, incredibly inexpensive @ $199.00 MSRP. (Bought mine for less through amazon.com) Says it can even scan credit cards through the rollers, although I haven't tried that yet.

Click on "Links" in the menu bar at the top of the blog. There's a link to their website there. A real work of beauty in both form and function!

Left the Zuiderdam the day you boarded. Luckally did not get involved with that NORO. Everytime you see one of those lotion dispensers use it. I worked for us. If you see 4 Australians in the Crows Nest at 2 for one say hello for us from Bob and Patricia. Also say hello to Al Walters , he will sitting at the Seaview Bar most of the time. He is from our neighborhood here in Olney.

Virtually everywhere we touch shore is either a major (Columbia) or minor (Mexico) producer of coffee, and our ultimate post-cruise destination (Seattle) is the home of Starbucks, thus "coffee & canal cruise." As it turns out, about one out of every two fellow passengers we meet is from Canada and about half of them are from Vancouver. Thus, "Canadian Club." Makes sense, eh?;)

Aussies also abound, Kiwis and Brits aren't rare, but the Irish and Austrian couples we've met may well be the only ones from their respective nations. Makes for interesting, if sometimes mutually unintelligible conversation, particularly among the native English speakers.:p

Over on the blog, we've posted the latest daily Explorer (Day 4), more detailed info. about Veracruz, and a few galleries of photos: Pinnacle Grill (Day 1), and flowers and artwork displayed about the ship. (Click on any photo on the blog for a normal-sized version).

Virtually everywhere we touch shore is either a major (Columbia) or minor (Mexico) producer of coffee, and our ultimate post-cruise destination (Seattle) is the home of Starbucks, thus "coffee & canal cruise." As it turns out, about one out of every two fellow passengers we meet is from Canada and about half of them are from Vancouver. Thus, "Canadian Club." Makes sense, eh?;)

Aussies also abound, Kiwis and Brits aren't rare, but the Irish and Austrian couples we've met may well be the only ones from their respective nations. Makes for interesting, if sometimes mutually unintelligible conversation, particularly among the native English speakers.:p

Over on the blog, we've posted the latest daily Explorer (Day 4), more detailed info. about Veracruz, and a few galleries of photos: Pinnacle Grill (Day 1), and flowers and artwork displayed about the ship. (Click on any photo on the blog for a normal-sized version).

Love the 'Canadian Club'. :D:D:D

"Wow!"

... doesn't begin to describe the send-off we just received. A couple of thousand Veracruzanos were lining the dock to wish us "Bon Voyage," waving and whistling. It was an absolutely incredible sight - very moving, too. When we reached a lighthouse further along with a hundred or so doing the same, we shouted "Hasta luego!" and "Adios amigos!" and were answered loudly in kind. Both touching and fun. We took photos and will post them later.

"Wow!"

... doesn't begin to describe the send-off we just received. A couple of thousand Veracruzanos were lining the dock to wish us "Bon Voyage," waving and whistling. It was an absolutely incredible sight - very moving, too. When we reached a lighthouse further along with a hundred or so doing the same, we shouted "Hasta luego!" and "Adios amigos!" and were answered loudly in kind. Both touching and fun. We took photos and will post them later.

We had a similar send-off in Guatemala last year. Makes one feel loved or at least appreciated!

Love your writing and thank you for keeping us posted.

Photo of the Veracruz sailaway, the Canaletto gang, latest MDR dinner menu, daily Explorer and "In Port: Paraiso" information posted to the blog. (Aboard the Amsterdam!)

Feels like all Tabasco state really turned on the charm today. Only a couple of ships per year dock here. And next year, the Zuiderdam won't be. Pity - the tour destinations were outstanding. More later (I know, promises promises)

Aside to himself: It was 95 in Veracruz yesterday and supposed to be 98 here today and 95 in Progreso tomorrow. We're acclimatizing for the canal run. And showering a lot. ;)

I'm using an amazing Fujitsu ScanSnap 1100 portable scanner. It weighs only 12 oz., scans pages in 7.5 seconds, came with some neat software and is, I think, incredibly inexpensive @ $199.00 MSRP. (Bought mine for less through amazon.com) Says it can even scan credit cards through the rollers, although I haven't tried that yet.

Click on "Links" in the menu bar at the top of the blog. There's a link to their website there. A real work of beauty in both form and function!

Thank you for the info and the link. Your files speak well for the quality of the device. Having it for a live blog is great - at least for those of us following you.

We've posted a little more about what we did our first day along with some photos taken while exploring the ship. Captions will come later but imagine most of them are self-explanatory to the much more experienced cruisers around here.

TEXT:

We had three primary goals for day one aboard ship:

#1: Sign up for the behind-the-scenes ship’s tour. As the tour is limited to 15 passengers and can only be booked aboard ship, it usually sells out quickly on the first afternoon. At $150/ person, the 3-4 hour tour is not inexpensive. At the same time, unless you know someone of high rank, the odds of visiting the bridge or the engine room these days are next to nil. Besides, this isn’t the type of tour one books every sailing. Once is probably enough.

#2: Make reservations for the “Dine with the Chef” dinner. A special evening during which the executive chef takes center stage in the Culinary Arts Center and talks with a small group of passengers while preparing a unique multi-course meal accompanied by wines especially selected for the occasion by the ship’s cellar master.

#3: Secure spots for the intimate Wine-Pairing Dinner hosted by the cellar master.

Thanks to two personable wine stewards, Edgar and Brian, we accomplished #2 & #3 while waiting to board the ship. Once aboard, we went straight to the front desk and crossed #1 off our “To do” list. Primary goals accomplished, we set about our secondary goal: explore the ship. As we think the photos above (and previous posts about flowers and art) show, we did a pretty good job of that, too ;-) .

As mentioned in an earlier post, we topped off a delightful first day with a delicious meal at the Pinnacle Grill. The service was outstanding – the smoothest we’ve ever experienced.

Glad you got all your items on your 'to do' list crossed off. sounds like you have an outstanding cruise scheduled IMO :D Looking forward to hearing what you think about these events. Your blog is great. Thank you:)

I would love to see your pics? Am I missing your link somewhere? Glad you are having fun!

Here's the link to our blog (where the photos are):

Aboard the Zuiderdam!

K.K. and Kazu (and anyone else I haven't acknowledged): thanks for the encouragement. Fortunately for the always hard-working crew, the "Code Red" was cancelled the afternoon of Day 3. No new cases reported thus far on our cruise.

Here's the link to our blog (where the photos are):

Aboard the Zuiderdam!

K.K. and Kazu (and anyone else I haven't acknowledged): thanks for the encouragement. Fortunately for the always hard-working crew, the "Code Red" was cancelled the afternoon of Day 3. No new cases reported thus far on our cruise.

So glad for you that the code Red is over. This is great. :)

Out first full day at sea was far from the lazy day we'd imagined it would be prior to boarding the ship. While touring the ship the day before, our "courtesy call" at the spa resulted in reservations for a mid-morning "couples massage," something my brother and sister-in-law reported enjoying on previous cruises. (It doesn't really matter whether or not the two people signing up are, in fact, a couple, or even sharing a stateroom for that matter.) Our masseuses, JoAnn and Ann marvelous - skilled and friendly. The one of us who had never had a massage in his life, and has muscle tension problems, really benefited from it.

Completely relaxed, we adjourned to a light lunch at the Lido before wandering back to our by-now favorite watering hole, the Sea View Bar next to the aft pool. One of our favorite bartenders, Carlo, can be extraordinarily persuasive - one of those people who could sell ice by the ton to Eskimos. He convinced us that to enroll in the afternoon MIxology class in the Crow's Nest.

We weren't even sure what a Mixology class was about, but off we went at the appointed time. There we discovered our hostess, party planner Casey, and teachers, bartenders Antonio and Mike already set-up for the intensive lesson in making martinis about to begin. At $12.50 per class, as one can see from the photo of the end result, this is probably the best drink bargain on the ship. ;) As the photos on our website show, lots of fun, too!

While searching for photos to accompany the tour option descriptions on the blog, I ran across John Todd Jr.'s impressive website, Experiences around Veracruz. The section about "Organizing Your Own Trip to Veracruz" is chock full of wise advice and tips that would be useful for just about any destination, not just Veracruz. Todd lives in Veracruz and is a delightful writer. His vignettes about nearby and off-the-beaten-path destinations left both of us wanting to see all of them all.

Even more enchanting are Todd's short stories about historical events and personages, and tales of old buildings and the rise and fall of families. Do yourself a favor and check it out. Time well-spent.

We're not sure why Veracruz remains "relatively undiscovered" by foreign tourists. After looking around John's website, you, too, might be wondering why the last time you heard about Veracruz was in history class in junior high school.

Thanks for your thread here on CC, and the blog you are keeping -- I'm enoying reading them very much.

Dave

Thank you, Dave, for the kind words, as there really is not all that much meat here, thus far, I must admit. I think I have about a dozen posts that need writing, but keep doing silly things like Mixology class right after wine tasting, and I think everyone can figure just how coherent I am at the moment :D. Be that as it may, I have also "cheated" a bit: I'm not near the typist you obviously are, so I went for the quick and easy technological fix (ScanSnap 1100). I'm not apologizing for it - just acknowledging your proven superior talent and time commitment! hat can I say? I'm basically lazy? :p OK, I am. :o

All the best to you and everyone reading. More later, after my afternoon nap. ;)

FYI: To anyone curious:

Internet connection speed has been outstanding almost any time day or night. Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on your point of view, and your pocketbook. Rather like discovering that I am eligible for additional free time due to being a "Frequent User," a dubious honor at best. *LOL*

ironin - I have to say, I am enjoying your posts. Dh and I have never tried the mixology class and now, you have motivated us to do it. It's these kinds of things that can be helpful.

Your blog is great - I for one, think you are doing a fantastic job and am very much enjoying following your cruise.

thanks for sharing - Jacqui

Archived