*LIVE* from Aboard the Zuiderdam! 4/22-5/19

ironin

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere on Cruise Critic:

We've been told that the menu for the Evening @ Le Cirque will be undergoing a major makeover once the Zuiderdam begins its Alaska sailings. There will be additional choices for both soup and appetizers, the halibut is being replaced with sea bass, the beef offering will be changed to chateaubriand, and a poultry main course will be added as well. I can't remember what other changes were mentioned.

We've been told that the menu for the Evening @ Le Cirque will be undergoing a major makeover once the Zuiderdam begins its Alaska sailings. There will be additional choices for both soup and appetizers, the halibut is being replaced with sea bass, the beef offering will be changed to chateaubriand, and a poultry main course will be added as well. I can't remember what other changes were mentioned.

thanks for this information - extra choices sound great

Thanks ironin - I haven't seen it before and this sounds like very good news to me. :D I just can't believe all your work on your blog.

It is just fantastic:):)

It hasn't been mentioned before, so thank you very much for this really good news! I'm happy that the menu will be expanded. I might even try it now.

Just a note to say the people in Veracruz are still talking about the exciting one day visit of the Zuiderdam to our city! It was such fun to see the hundreds of foreign tourists disembark the ship to board tour buses, or just to explore the downtown area on their own. For the people of Veracruz, we aren't used to seeing many foreign tourists in Veracruz and it was a very different day for us.

I was one of the tour guides, and I enjoyed taking people to visit Quiahuiztlan, the pyramids at Cempoala, and Antigua because these are the places I enjoy exploring in my own free time.

We really enjoyed the arrival of the Zuiderdam, and the departure in the afternoon was a major event in town. The people of Veracruz were sad to see you all go, and, I don['t know about you, but we had lumps in our throats as we waved goodbye to you all.

This is the first, and probably the only, cruise ship that will dock here this year and people are asking when the next group of visitors will come?

So, I'm wondering if anybody's heard about when the next cruise ship is scheduled to arrive in Veracruz?

John Todd, Jr.

www.johntoddjr.com

That is good news. The menu as currently being served is severely limited. The only part of the meal I enjoyed at all was the halibut. :) Funny, that is what they are removing. But I like sea bass so still okay by me.

Good they listened and realized they have to offer more menu choices.

I wonder how soon that will reach all the ships?

Thanks for sharing this info with us. :)

Just a note to say the people in Veracruz are still talking about the exciting one day visit of the Zuiderdam to our city! It was such fun to see the hundreds of foreign tourists disembark the ship to board tour buses, or just to explore the downtown area on their own. For the people of Veracruz, we aren't used to seeing many foreign tourists in Veracruz and it was a very different day for us.

I was one of the tour guides, and I enjoyed taking people to visit Quiahuiztlan, the pyramids at Cempoala, and Antigua because these are the places I enjoy exploring in my own free time.

We really enjoyed the arrival of the Zuiderdam, and the departure in the afternoon was a major event in town. The people of Veracruz were sad to see you all go, and, I don['t know about you, but we had lumps in our throats as we waved goodbye to you all.

This is the first, and probably the only, cruise ship that will dock here this year and people are asking when the next group of visitors will come?

So, I'm wondering if anybody's heard about when the next cruise ship is scheduled to arrive in Veracruz?

John Todd, Jr.

www.johntoddjr.com

It is so nice to read this, to hear from people who welcome tourists so warmly. Makes me want to go there!

Can you imagine sailing 11 days straight without a working toilet in your stateroom? :eek:

Shortly after boarding the ship, the couple in stateroom 7129 discovered their toilet would not flush. For the next eleven days, they had to climb two flights of stairs to use the Lido restrooms. After the problem was finally resolved, guest relations offered a free Pinnacle Grill meal as a token of apology.

This morning, the couple discovered the hard way that the bathroom sink now drains straight onto the shelf underneath and then onto the bathroom floor.

Can you imagine sailing 11 days straight without a working toilet in your stateroom? :eek:

Somehow I don't expect a dinner worth $10 (at my status) would suffice. :eek:

Let's start the negotiations at 25% refund on this cruise.

Somehow I don't expect a dinner worth $10 (at my status) would suffice.

Let's start the negotiations at 25% refund on this cruise.

LOL! I'm with you, Ruth! I think I would have lost it by now. All things considered, they are doing very well about taking it in stride. Or were until they booked the PG last night, arrived and were told they had to pay $19 more pp because it was Le Cirque night. (No one had told the PG manager what the comp was for and they didn't know what Le Cirque was.)

The sink problem was solved this morning. (Or was it?) When they returned to the cabin before lunch, he took his delayed shower and stepped out into a mini-lake on the floor. It seems to be coming from an overflow drain behind the toilet.

At that point, she says she lost it (I'm not so sure - she's still smiling - maybe its part of being Canadian ;-), and said send someone here NOW! The shower stall was being disassembled when they left. I saw two more maintenance engineers entering a while ago.

We've offered them showering facilities for only $5/per day. Toilet facilities gratis, provided they bring their own paper. He said that might prove difficult as theirs was still a bit soggy from the sink overflow episode, but he was thinking about ringing up guest relations and asking if they had any to spare. ;-)

LOL! I'm with you, Ruth! I think I would have lost it by now. All things considered, they are doing very well about taking it in stride. Or were until they booked the PG last night, arrived and were told they had to pay $19 more pp because it was Le Cirque night. (No one had told the PG manager what the comp was for and they didn't know what Le Cirque was.)

The sink problem was solved this morning. (Or was it?) When they returned to the cabin before lunch, he took his delayed shower and stepped out into a mini-lake on the floor. It seems to be coming from an overflow drain behind the toilet.

At that point, she says she lost it (I'm not so sure - she's still smiling - maybe its part of being Canadian ;-), and said send someone here NOW! The shower stall was being disassembled when they left. I saw two more maintenance engineers entering a while ago.

We've offered them showering facilities for only $5/per day. Toilet facilities gratis, provided they bring their own paper. He said that might prove difficult as theirs was still a bit soggy from the sink overflow episode, but he was thinking about ringing up guest relations and asking if they had any to spare. ;-)

Oh my heavens - it is part of being Canadian - but I bet she's not smiling when you're not looking. I am Canadian, but I think I would be pounding on the hotel manager's door by now (if not 9 days ago). Unbelievable.

Hal offered them a free pinnacle dinner? We had flooding in a cabin years ago and it was rectified in one day but it wasn't fun and we weren't happy. I didn't go storming down or anything, but I can tell you right now that the gave us more than a PG dinner (not to mention the suitcases that had to be cleaned thoroughly). I know times have changed, but seriously????????

Scary thought. HAL should really be ashamed if this is all they are offering for this horrific inconvenience. I don't know about you, but I don't want to go to the Lido at late at night or early in the morning to do my toilette :eek:

...I don't want to go to the Lido at late at night or early in the morning to do my toilette :eek:

At the risk of TMI, this just wouldn't work for me - when I gotta go, I gotta go. And since I have medical problems that make stairs a slow, painful process (at best), and the elevators are slow and usually far away, I'm afraid HAL would have some cleaning up to do!

And compensate me with a PG dinner? Excuse me while I pick my chin up off the floor! As Ruth said 25% cost-of-cruise compensation is the starting (but not ending) point for me!

John Todd, Jr.

www.johntoddjr.com

This is such a lovely post I don't think I've ever read anything like it on CC.

THANK YOU for it. There are times we think the ports we call at wish we'd just send money and not bother to come.

Your post could actually make me a little teary.

I dream that someday DH and I may be so lucky to visit your home.

Shortly after boarding the ship, the couple in stateroom 7129 discovered their toilet would not flush. For the next eleven days, they had to climb two flights of stairs to use the Lido restrooms. After the problem was finally resolved, guest relations offered a free Pinnacle Grill meal as a token of apology.

This morning, the couple discovered the hard way that the bathroom sink now drains straight onto the shelf underneath and then onto the bathroom floor.

That GRM should be ashamed of herself/himself. That is so insulting it's ridiculous. This is not a person who excels in guest relations IMO

I'm sure if I wrote what I'd really like to say, it could be my last post here. :eek: I sincerely hope these folks finally get a working toilet. That is no luxury but is expected. One books a cabin and fully expects repairs to be made well and promptly. That is not unreasonable IMO

[/b]

Thank you for this thread and your wonderful blog. I just love it when people take the time to do a quality blog with actual information on it:). I missed many places on my Panama Canal cruise that you visited so I am really enjoying it all.

Glad you're enjoying it, Lorekauf!

Uploaded pix from Acapulco, Cellar Master's Dinner, and behind-the-scenes ship tour. Fixed error in prior photosets - clicking on individual photos once again brings up a larger version (usually 640x480)

Will have more about the incredibly patient and gracious couple with the ongoing problems later. Want to note that they have not been broadcasting their experiences to all and sundry. Despite talking with them every day since boarding, we only know about it because a friend who is also aboard mentioned it the day I wrote about it.

Heading now to view your great pics.

Of course the couple with the toilette problems aren't broadcasting. didn't you say they were Canadian? :D (kidding).

Sounds like they have a lot of class and I hope HAL doesn't mistake that for high tolerance or willing to put up with and they do much more than a stupid Pinnacle Dinner.

Glad you're enjoying it, Lorekauf!

Uploaded pix from Acapulco, Cellar Master's Dinner, and behind-the-scenes ship tour. Fixed error in prior photosets - clicking on individual photos once again brings up a larger version (usually 640x480)

I'm really enjoying it:)! I did the sommelier dinner on the Westerdam and I was really disappointed. The food was nothing like the pics you have here so it must be a different dinner. Yours looks really good. I thought my "normal" dinner in the Pinnacle was much better then my dinner was. The behind the scenes tour looked interesting.

Good evening Ironin!

I didn't notice if your early stops in the itinerary included Half Moon Cay. I'm curious what the cabana situation was like, or if you possibly even attempted to book one? I've been trying to keep a dilegent eye on the Excursions, to see if/when they might become available, but no luck as of yet. I'm starting to wonder if I'll need to wait until I board the Zuidy, and head right to the Shore Excursions desk then. Thank you for your thoughts.

They will all be booked by the time you board. Try to get one online as soon as they become available. Sometimes they are wait listed and then you try to get in line for one on board.

Photos from Cabo San Lucas should be up on our website now. We had a great lunch at Gordo Lele's - a tiny hole-in-the-wall place on a side street. Also, finally saw a large yacht with a helicopter aboard. Expected to see one of these in FLL but didn't. All kinds of rumors as to whose it it - Greg Norman's or anonymous Russian tycoon's. We report. You decide. ;-)

Photos from Cabo San Lucas should be up on our website now. We had a great lunch at Gordo Lele's - a tiny hole-in-the-wall place on a side street. Also, finally saw a large yacht with a helicopter aboard. Expected to see one of these in FLL but didn't. All kinds of rumors as to whose it it - Greg Norman's or anonymous Russian tycoon's. We report. You decide. ;-)

Fantastic as always - thank you!!:)

Archived