disappointed inthe Carnival Dream Spa

JPH814

Just got off a great cruise on the Dream. But had a pretty disappointing experience with the spa. The treatments themselves were ok. But some little things bugged me.

For esamole, I have never been to a spa on a ship where they did not give you a robe. You make an appointment, they tell you to get there 15 minutes early, you go tto the locker room, take a shower and put on a robe, usually flip flops and go to your room for your treatment. Not on the Dream. I checked in and asked where the locker room was- they asked me why I wanted to know. I said where would I get changed - they said I would disrobe in the treatment room. So much for the relaxing atmosphere. No opportunity to shower. My wife had the exact some experience.

Then when you are done, you expect a nice lounge to relax, sip some water or juice. kind of mellow out for a half an hour or so. Not on the Dream - no room existed in the spa.

And even during the "tours" offered on the first day, It was like pulling teeth to get information - unless you were interested in accupuncture or teeth whitening. When I asked the price of a daily pass to the thellasotherapy (sp?) pool, they never would give me an answer - only tried to get me to buy a seven day pass, for a couple of hundred dollars.

So bottom line, I don't think I will be doing the spa anymore on Carnival ships. Over $400... It is a shame - I always liked to set aside most of an afternoon for a trip to the spa. I go to spas in Vegas and Hawaii and Atlantic City and in many resorts on almost every vacation. How could they screw up such a simple concept?

I must admit, this is very disappointing to hear. I, just as you, have been to spas in Vegas (Encore being the best) and they are no more expensive than the Carnival Spa. All the amenities were included such as robe, slippers, shower, pools, etc. and lovely shampoos, creams, and every other toiletry you can think of. I hope that Carnival pulls it together.

Actually, there is a lounge for relaxing in the Spa area. We used it every day after using the hitting the pool or saunas/steam rooms. Though, we purchased a spa package for the week ($239 for couple), so that might be why we had access to it.

It is on the locked side...requiring a key to access. Beautiful ocean view, very relaxing.

Im not a big fan of the spa either.. but they do have lockers, several different showers and right out side they have all the robes. Also robes are located in the spa pool.

There is a great relaxation room , nice views, zen like music , an assortment of cold flavored water and some fruit.

Did you have a spa pass or spa cabin??

Kind of sounds like our recent Princess spa experience. The treatment itself was fine but they had you in the spa waiting room where you could get a glass of fruit water while filling out your paperwork and then you were just wisked off into the treatment room where you disrobed and had the treatment. There was no option for a locker room or robe.

Meanwhile on HAL they give you a robe and slippers and let you go into a lovely room with heated loungers, offer you tea, water, lights snacks and let you get into relaxation mode before the treatment. Its much more comfortable and less rushed, you feel like a guest of the spa. You pay just as much on both lines as they are both operated by Steiner but the experience on HAL is above and beyond what you got on Princess.

Going on the Miracle in a few weeks and hope that we find the HAL quality experience in the spa.

The access to the spa pool, lounge etc is only for those who have bought the weekly access to the fancy whirlpool, etc. Also, those who book spa class rooms have this access as part of their package. For spa customers, there is nothing available. I guess I have no problem with Carnival creating a VIP experience for those wanting to pay more. I just don't think they should cheapen the experience for the rest of us in the process.

HAL, Azamara (Celebrity), and Cunard had much nicer accommodations. I am trying to recall if it was different on the Carnival Liberty - I think it was. But the impression of the Dream was they just wanted you in and out of the treatment rooms and nothing else. For a $150 masssage, you should get more than that.

Besides the Spa, what was your experience like on the Dream? How was the ship, food, size of space for the amount of people?

Thanks

We had a great time. I will be doing a full review at some point soon (just got home yesterday) and I don't want to take this thread on a tangent.

Here are some highlights:

Ship was good - clean, no odors

Staff very good - great cabin staff and dining room staff.

Food in dining room was very good (The Chef's table was an INCREDIBLE experinece); Buffet was OK (not a big fan of buffets)

Never felt the crowds, but we tend to stay away from pools.

Entertainment was so so - never a fan of on board production shows. The comedy club was very good - bott the early (clean) and late (adult) shows.

SO that is what made the spa so much of a disappointment since the rest of our experience was so positive.

Dream has a spa area which you didnt want to purchase, so thats why you didnt have access. Dont blame the ship.

Dear Mr. Fly:

Do you frequent Spas on board ships or on land?

On every other ship and in every other resort based spas I have ever visited (easily 30 different locations in my lifetime) purchasing a spa treatment gives you access to - at least - a robe, an upscale place to change and shower, a lounge to relax before and after a treatment and usually some light refreshments (juice, fruit, etc.). This included my last Carnival trip on the Liberty - granted several years ago.

I do realize that the policy on the Dream is to only offer those amenities to those who pay extra for it. I am blaming the ship/crusie line for having a policy which is less appealing than spa industry standards.

As a frequent Carnival cruiser (and a stockholder) I have the right to criticize them for it and to warn other guests of this policy so they can make an informed decision prior to booking their treatment.

I will be on the Dream in May. I do not have a Spa Cabin, but I want to purchase "the weekly pass" so I can enjoy the T-pool (refuse to try and spell the whole word):D. Is it best to purchase before the cruise or while on the ship. I have read it's best to purchase before the cruise, but others say you can get a deal while on the ship. I really don't want to miss out...any suggestions? Thanks.

Dear Mr. Fly:

Do you frequent Spas on board ships or on land?

On every other ship and in every other resort based spas I have ever visited (easily 30 different locations in my lifetime) purchasing a spa treatment gives you access to - at least - a robe, an upscale place to change and shower, a lounge to relax before and after a treatment and usually some light refreshments (juice, fruit, etc.). This included my last Carnival trip on the Liberty - granted several years ago.

I do realize that the policy on the Dream is to only offer those amenities to those who pay extra for it. I am blaming the ship/crusie line for having a policy which is less appealing than spa industry standards.

As a frequent Carnival cruiser (and a stockholder) I have the right to criticize them for it and to warn other guests of this policy so they can make an informed decision prior to booking their treatment.

Of course you have the right to criticize and also to incorrectly interpret my post.. its your right.

I was pointing out with the advent of the new pay spa areas, that people dont get the relaxation areas for free. (I didnt say if it was good or bad, just not free)

Im female too ...

I was merely pointing out their policy that now to access the heated loungers and such on Dream you have to pay. Its a fact. I stated a fact, nothing else ... I had a roomie on Princess fall for everything at the spa and her sign and travel was over $3200!!! just for her, because she bought the spa stuff. I think everything costs on the ship's spa ... too much $$$.

I get it you think accessing the whole spa should be free and the areas where you relax. ... but carnival is into charging for everything. fact imo.

PS I dont even think we disagree?? :confused:

Of course you have the right to criticize and also to incorrectly interpret my post.. its your right.

I was pointing out with the advent of the new pay spa areas, that people dont get the relaxation areas for free. (I didnt say if it was good or bad, just not free)

Im female too ...

I was merely pointing out their policy that now to access the heated loungers and such on Dream you have to pay. Its a fact. I stated a fact, nothing else ... I had a roomie on Princess fall for everything at the spa and her sign and travel was over $3200!!! just for her, because she bought the spa stuff. I think everyone costs on the ship's spa ... too much.

I get it you think accessing the whole spa should be free and the areas where you relax. ... but carnival is into charging for everything. fact imo.

PS I dont even think we disagree?? :confused:

I apologize for the presumption you were a male - my bad. I also apologize if I misinterpretted your post. But when you said "don't blame the ship" I do disagree with you. Maybe not the ship, but the cruise line.

I do not think accessing the whole spa should be free and the areas where you relax". I have no problem with the creation of an upscale experience and charging for it. Like the steakhouse. So the T pool and the heated loungers and the goofy showers that never seem to work right? - charging extra? no problem.

I do " blame" them for charging for something that according to industry standard is usually for free: a robe; a quiet room with some padded lounge chairs to chill out after the treatment; pipe in some Yanni; a pitcher of water with cucumbers. Would it kill them? Taking that away and charging the same amount for that - I blame them. It would be like charging extra for the lava cake in the dinning room.

I have not sailed on the Dream, but I was on Carnival's first ship to have a Cloud 9 Spa--the Splendor.

I had one of the four spa suites (it was my 40th birthday and I wanted to go all out) and that gave me access to the thermal suite and thalasso pool.

The robes are in the cabin and you could have changed in your cabin and worn the robe to the spa. They encouraged Spa cabin guests to wear the robes so they knew they were in the spa cabins. Alas, the robes fit, just not so well if your on the fluffy side, like me. Needless to say, I never used the robe. I did use the slippers!!!!!

The Relax Room on the Splendor on the deck with the treatment rooms. The Dream has a Relax Room too.

Spa staff and tour--yes, they are their to advertise what treatments are available. You could have asked after you sailed for info and they would have helped you more because when they do the tours it is quick and have a lot of people coming to the spa.

I'll be on the Magic in November and will be buying an all access pass as I will be travelling with a friend who smokes and the spa cabins are all no-smoking. I'll miss the slippers and different colored towels, but that is how it is sometimes.

This is super disappointing to me.

I had hoped to splurge a little on our cruise on the Dream in Septmber - its our 10th anniversary after all ;) but for me part of enjoying a spa treatment - especially when I'm going to a spa in Vegas or other resorts is the time you get to spend using the other amenities of the spa - the fancy hot tubs, the beautiful areas for tea and juice. Its the entire experience that makes it worth the $$ on a treatment.

From the prices they are charging it is ridiculous that a treatment does not include access to these other amenities in the spa. This is not right and unless there is some fantastic deal on board I'm going to save my $$ and spa at home before I head out on my holiday.

I can deal with the relentless upsells, the sometimes less than stellar skills that we all read about but I will not pay more for that much less of an expereince compared to any other resort type spa I've been to.

OP - I am surprised that the person who took your appointment did not remind you that there was a robe in your cabin for your use while up in the Spa.

Unfortunately, if you don't buy the whole week, you are not able to have access to the Thallasotherapy pool, as well as the other goodies that is available to those who have spa-level cabins.

I have not sailed on the Dream, but I was on Carnival's first ship to have a Cloud 9 Spa--the Splendor.

I had one of the four spa suites (it was my 40th birthday and I wanted to go all out) and that gave me access to the thermal suite and thalasso pool.

The robes are in the cabin and you could have changed in your cabin and worn the robe to the spa. They encouraged Spa cabin guests to wear the robes so they knew they were in the spa cabins. Alas, the robes fit, just not so well if your on the fluffy side, like me. Needless to say, I never used the robe. I did use the slippers!!!!!

The Relax Room on the Splendor on the deck with the treatment rooms. The Dream has a Relax Room too.

Spa staff and tour--yes, they are their to advertise what treatments are available. You could have asked after you sailed for info and they would have helped you more because when they do the tours it is quick and have a lot of people coming to the spa.

I'll be on the Magic in November and will be buying an all access pass as I will be travelling with a friend who smokes and the spa cabins are all no-smoking. I'll miss the slippers and different colored towels, but that is how it is sometimes.

Hmmm....maybe I missed a relax room. I did not see it and none was mentioned to me. As for the robes, I would have never thought it was necessary to take one from my room since robes in spas are pretty standard offerings.

Just got off a great cruise on the Dream. But had a pretty disappointing experience with the spa. The treatments themselves were ok. But some little things bugged me.

For esamole, I have never been to a spa on a ship where they did not give you a robe. You make an appointment, they tell you to get there 15 minutes early, you go tto the locker room, take a shower and put on a robe, usually flip flops and go to your room for your treatment. Not on the Dream. I checked in and asked where the locker room was- they asked me why I wanted to know. I said where would I get changed - they said I would disrobe in the treatment room. So much for the relaxing atmosphere. No opportunity to shower. My wife had the exact some experience.

Then when you are done, you expect a nice lounge to relax, sip some water or juice. kind of mellow out for a half an hour or so. Not on the Dream - no room existed in the spa.

And even during the "tours" offered on the first day, It was like pulling teeth to get information - unless you were interested in accupuncture or teeth whitening. When I asked the price of a daily pass to the thellasotherapy (sp?) pool, they never would give me an answer - only tried to get me to buy a seven day pass, for a couple of hundred dollars.

So bottom line, I don't think I will be doing the spa anymore on Carnival ships. Over $400... It is a shame - I always liked to set aside most of an afternoon for a trip to the spa. I go to spas in Vegas and Hawaii and Atlantic City and in many resorts on almost every vacation. How could they screw up such a simple concept?

Aww this is disappointing! Me and my BF are booked for the Dream in August and one of the things I was looking forward to was the SPA. Oh well. I will still go I just hope between now and the time we sail they improve the experience.

• 5 weeks later...
Aww this is disappointing! Me and my BF are booked for the Dream in August and one of the things I was looking forward to was the SPA. Oh well. I will still go I just hope between now and the time we sail they improve the experience.

We are on the same upcoming sailing!! And your from Hampton Roads!! What a coincedience!! Did you join the Roll Call? We also have a FB page.

I think the cut back is happening across different fleets as I was on NCL last October and they did not offer a robe or a lounge area. Those amenities went to the spa package people.

I enjoyed the spa on the Dream. I understand your POV though. I don't do spa treatments anywhere, but on a cruise ship b/c I consider it a luxury and I want to look forward to it (I wish I could do it more often), so I guess I don't have experience with other spas, but my service in the spa was nice. We booked a quicky treatment one day in port b/c we were using the Spa pass and they just happened to have something open for my friend and I. We were told to go up to the second floor and have a seat. I headed to the Spa pass locker area (I already had my robe from the room, but I had a wet swim suit on) to change out of my swimsuit and put my robe back on. I then went up and waited for 5 mins. My spa lady came and introduces herself and took me to my treatment room. She explained everything and talked to me about pressure points and all that. Then she left for me to get disrobed and on the table. She was very calming and talk to me only for a few mins to help me relax and then she went quiet. The room was darkened, the music was nice, it was just cool enough that the warmed oils felt great. Afterwards she spoke very softly to let me know that she would be back in a few moments with a glass of water. She came back and left it on the table for me and then left to let me get up and dressed. She gave me plenty of time for that. Of course afterwards they have to give their sales pitch, but I just said, "No thanks." She led me back out to finish the paperwork and then I was free to go.

I guess since I had paid for the spa pass I could have gone the relaxation room and sat for a few, but I had to go get ready for dinner. I guess I never really knew that other places offered more. I know on the Liberty they did have a "waiting" room or "relaxing" room at the front, but the redesign of the Dream didn't show that.

But I'll be going back in October and I'm excited about having a spa room this time and my spa pass privileges included. I'm also saving up some extra $$, better add one more $ to be able to enjoy a few extra treatments this time.

Maybe try the Liberty or Freedom........they seemed to have the layout with the extra room for use. Def. tell Carnival, maybe they didn't realize they overlooked this feature?

What a bummer :(

Generally speaking, though, it has been my experience that ship-board spa treatments are overpriced and not near as good as the ones I get on land. I have quit doing treatments aboard and get my tootsies and fingers done ahead of boarding, along with a nice massage if time allows. It sure is a nice way to get an early start on vacation :)

• 4 weeks later...

I understand about the Spa area and the T-pool being an area you either purchase a Spa cabin or a weekly or daily pass to use. I have done that on the Splendor and loved it.. This coming cruise I don't think I want to purchase a week pass for the spa but do have a question. In previous cruises there was a shower area where you could take a shower after working out in the gym. There was also a sauna in this area - no spa pass needed. Does the Dream have an area like this where you can access a locker room and take a shower after working out? Thx.

I went on the Conquest in 2002 in the workout area they had two whirlpools and one was a beautiful waterfall whirlpool. There was no charge for using them or the steam room and sauna. Is this the private area now that costs $150.00?

I have not seen any whirlpools, so you mean hot tubs? Conquest had it removed .. there is no pay spa area on Conquest, only splendor, dream and magic and soon Breeze.

Archived