Email from NCL...

mommy2tati

Well, I think NCL could have done better with the OBC!!! don't you think??

why, this isn't unusual for cruise lines to charter especially 6 months out. Less than that would be a totally different story. Yes, it does suck and I am happy it hasn't happened to us, but I know from experience every line does this; sometimes with no OBC even.

Nita

Thanks for posting and sharing this.

I am on the Sky Oct 21 cruise. I almost booked the Oct 7 cruise though. (Columbus Day weekend)

I do think that $25 OBC per cabin is not much of a concession for people planning, organizing, and putting plans into motion for this cruise. It will pay for 1 day of gratuity cleaning for the cabin.

Since the customers were early bookings, I think they could have given them at least $100 OBC and 20% off any future NCL booking.

I know that some will say that I am too low but it would be the bare minimum.

C'mon NCL

These passengers did nothing wrong and booked early. You changed their plans, not vice versa. You can do better!!!

It is a 3 day cruise for heaven's sake and you think they should have gotten a $100 OBC plus a discount on their next cruise? If we were talking a week long cruise or more, I would understand, but 3 days? The cruise didn't cost that much to start with I am guessing, knowing the cost of short cruises.

Nita

Now a question from over the pond. The US is often portrayed over here as a 'see you in court' kind of place. Meaning people sue for anything and often for what seem HUGE amounts over relative small matters (not this case in point i must stress). Do people not take the cruise lines to court over this terrible act ?

It's part of the passenger contract so you can take them to court if you have expendable money. The court will toss the case out because you entered into the ticket contract when you booked. If you disagreed with the contract then the only recourse would be to void the booking. However, the cruise line did that by exercising a provision of the contract anyway. Legally in the US, NCL and all lines are protected from litigation on a matter such as this. The expectation of compensation is just something people come to expect for being inconvenienced for it, even though they know the cruise line can do it.

I do agree with you though, the US is a highly litigious society and we've had some strange cases (McDonalds lady scalding herself with hot coffee and suing them for not saying the coffee was hot is one that readily comes to mind...). :(

It is a 3 day cruise for heaven's sake and you think they should have gotten a $100 OBC plus a discount on their next cruise? If we were talking a week long cruise or more, I would understand, but 3 days? The cruise didn't cost that much to start with I am guessing, knowing the cost of short cruises.

Nita

Nita - I tend to agree with you on the compensation offered. It's a short 3-day cruise so a heavy compensation in this case doesn't make sense. Most times, even on holiday weekend sailings, the rooms are going for less than $100 per day. It wouldn't make more sense for NCL to offer much more than they did finanically speaking. The cost for rebooking the air and change fees is reasonable ($150). Airlines like charging large fees though so whether or not this covers those fees for all the affected passengers remains to be seen but it's a nice token and one that NCL certainly doesn't have to offer.

Well said Nita. :)

We had this happen on Carnival Spirit last year on an 8 night itinerary. It was inconvenient, true, but we received our air change fees and a $50 obc for rebooking. Had we been able to rebook one of the offered amended itineraries we would also have received price protection but it didn't work for us.

I think the compensation offered here for a 3 night sailing is fair and in line with industry standard.

$25.00 OBC? Really? Wow. I received that for just booking. Anyway, I am glad that you were able to rebook.

Plus air change fee, plus price protection. I've seen 4 nighters on Sky for less than $175 pp for an inside. Yes it's upsetting (spoken by one who's been there) and yes it's inconvenient, but sorry, the compensation is fair.

Maybe it is "fair", but then again, maybe people will say the "heck with NCL" and go someplace else. Vote with your pocketbooks if you feel if you were treated unfairly.

Plus air change fee, plus price protection. I've seen 4 nighters on Sky for less than $175 pp for an inside. Yes it's upsetting (spoken by one who's been there) and yes it's inconvenient, but sorry, the compensation is fair.

Maybe it is "fair", but then again, maybe people will say the "heck with NCL" and go someplace else. Vote with your pocketbooks if you feel if you were treated unfairly.

you might see it as poor PR, but it isn't any better or worse than other lines. They were offered a small OBC and some refund for the change in plane tickets if needed. I just don't understand why some think this wasn't a fair and acceptable compensation. If you read what others have written it is pretty standard. So, go someplace else with your business, vote with your pocketbook, but there is no way any company can make all their customers happy: some will always go elsewhere.

Nita

I rebooked for Veterans day weekend. When I spoke to NCL they said they would cover up to $150 per person for any airline change fees. I don't think that's enough. I also agree with the other poster that $25 OBC is waaaaaay too low for the inconvenience.

Actually the $25 OBC combined with the $150 credit per person change fee credit is pretty generous for a 3-day cruise. Were you inconvenienced? Sure, but it looks like you were able to rebook with little problems.

I asked NCL about this and they said they cover up to $150 per person for flights. I'm assuming it's for the change fee. I know that with American Airlines if you cancel your flight you can get a credit minus the $150 change fee so the $150 that NCL gives makes sense. I'm not sure all airlines operate this way though.

We use Southwest airlines whenever possible to avoid baggage and change fees. Southwest is one of the few (possibly only) airline that doesn't charge baggage or change fees.

Let's get real here. NCL chartered the cruise to make a buck, which is their right of course. It is not the same as something happening out of their control. Yes, all the cruiselines do it, does it make it right? No. So maybe we as consumers should speak up more. I'm sorry but even though the cruise might have been cheap, $25 is sort of an insult. As NCL is saying your inconvenience is worth $25 bucks. Take it or leave it. On one hand the cruiselines are saying to book early, get your choice of cabin, at a good rate. On the otherhand they are saying, BUT we can decide to cancel your booking anytime we feel like it, for any reason.

you might see it as poor PR, but it isn't any better or worse than other lines. They were offered a small OBC and some refund for the change in plane tickets if needed. I just don't understand why some think this wasn't a fair and acceptable compensation. If you read what others have written it is pretty standard. So, go someplace else with your business, vote with your pocketbook, but there is no way any company can make all their customers happy: some will always go elsewhere.

Nita

Let's get real here. NCL chartered the cruise to make a buck, which is their right of course. It is not the same as something happening out of their control. Yes, all the cruiselines do it, does it make it right? No. So maybe we as consumers should speak up more. I'm sorry but even though the cruise might have been cheap, $25 is sort of an insult. As NCL is saying your inconvenience is worth $25 bucks. Take it or leave it. On one hand the cruiselines are saying to book early, get your choice of cabin, at a good rate. On the otherhand they are saying, BUT we can decide to cancel your booking anytime we feel like it, for any reason.

Expecting more than $25 OBC, some price protection and $150pp towards air changes for a three day cruise is unrealistic IMHO. So you think we as consumers should speak up more......what do you think we should say? I am not willing to give up cruising and since they all book charters periodically that is the only way to avoid this in the future. Even if I didn't think the compensation was fair, which I do it's not going to stop me from booking early. I think it was a very nice gesture on NCL's part seeing as they didn't have to offer anything. Some people are never satisfied no matter what is offered.

Actually the $25 OBC combined with the $150 credit per person change fee credit is pretty generous for a 3-day cruise. Were you inconvenienced? Sure, but it looks like you were able to rebook with little problems.

We use Southwest airlines whenever possible to avoid baggage and change fees. Southwest is one of the few (possibly only) airline that doesn't charge baggage or change fees.

Actually I am now having a whole host of other issues with NCL. Somehow they messed up my booking when I changed it from the one that was chartered.

Also southwest isn't really an option for me. They don't have any non-stop flights from LGA or JFK and they don't fly directly to Miami. They do fly into Ft Lauderdale but again not non-stop. I would love to fly them even though the whole first come, first served seating thing scares me a little.

Well for me, I work hard all year to be able to afford a nice vacation. It doesn't matter if it is a 3 day cruise or a 30 day cruise. If the cruiseline offers the cruise for sale, it shouldn't have the power to just change its mind if a better deal comes along. This is the third thread I am reading on the NCL board in recent weeks concerning a chartered cruise and the cancellation of the bookings of those who already booked the cruise. It never happened to me, but I know I would be extremely upset if it did.

Expecting more than $25 OBC, some price protection and $150pp towards air changes for a three day cruise is unrealistic IMHO. So you think we as consumers should speak up more......what do you think we should say? I am not willing to give up cruising and since they all book charters periodically that is the only way to avoid this in the future. Even if I didn't think the compensation was fair, which I do it's not going to stop me from booking early. I think it was a very nice gesture on NCL's part seeing as they didn't have to offer anything. Some people are never satisfied no matter what is offered.

Actually I am now having a whole host of other issues with NCL. Somehow they messed up my booking when I changed it from the one that was chartered.

Also southwest isn't really an option for me. They don't have any non-stop flights from LGA or JFK and they don't fly directly to Miami. They do fly into Ft Lauderdale but again not non-stop. I would love to fly them even though the whole first come, first served seating thing scares me a little.

Hopefully NCL will be able to get your booking straightened out.

Southwest isn't always the most convenient airline from the Northeast, and now they are no longer the cheapest. However, they are great for no fees. The first-come seating can be offset by being among the first to check-in online 24 hours in advance or by paying $10 pp each way to secure "Early Bird" check-in. They automatically pull your boarding pass and secure your position in either the A or B boarding sections. I like American Airlines and United too for accumulating miles, but still fly SW whenever we can.

So then what happens to your cruise? You have to rebook it for another time? That sounds like a hassle because people schedule time off from work, schedule air flight and put a lot of time into cruising...I can't imagine. I'd be heartbroken and pissed. :(

I agree with you i would be pissed.. But try to think of it as a business point of view this other company is gonna come in a book the entire ship for the entire cruise.. prolly pay MAJOR MAJOR bucks.. so from NCL and any other cruise line point of view its a way to make lots of extra $$ i think i read the other day where the DAWN was chartered a few weeks ago..

Wow, I'm really sorry your booking got messed up with the "transfer". I assume you called the special number they provide with the rebooking options so now it's up to them to make it right, hopefully early Monday morning. I hope your cruise is "extra special" to make up for all the additional stress.

it shouldn't have the power to just change its mind if a better deal comes along.

Why not, the terms and conditions of the contract give you the same right up until final payment. This is an issue that gets a lot of "press" here because it is so upsetting (and understandably so) but it really doesn't happen all that often, nor does it impact that many people.

DH and I do Christmas cruises every year because that is the ONLY week DH has to cruise, and we book those cruises a year in advance. We book our non-refundable airfare the first day the tix go on sale (11 months in advance), because we figure the cheapest flights will sell out fast. We also make our hotel reservation way in advance, and typically it is also non-refundable, because we figure we save $ that way as well. We also buy travel insurance immediately. We don't fly Southwest or the other super budget airlines because the tix go on sale much later than the "legacy" carriers and we like the security of locking in our airfare.

Would something like this be covered by travel insurance typically? In our case, if this were to happen, unless travel insurance covered it, we'd be out about $800 for hotel plus airfare, as well as the cost of the travel insurance.

If we were going to rebook on a different cruiseline, or even NCL, the cost of the cruise would also be substantially higher. We have a spa suite on the Epic for this Christmas which is now sold out, but had gone up $500/pp from when we booked, and I'm sure all the other Christmas cruises have gone way up as well.

I'd be really surprised if something like this would get chartered, but my point is that I think people like ourselves, who only have the option of one week per year to cruise, tend to book that week way in advance in order to lock in all costs, knowing that they won't go down. Granted that we sign a contract that the cruiseline is all-powerful, and our only recourse is a refund of whatever we've paid them but..to me the FAIR thing to do is (if the cruiseline has an equivalent sailing) at a minimum to allow the pax to transfer their booking for the same/similar itinerary and cabin class to any other ship in the fleet for whatever the cost difference would have been at the time the pax made the original booking, positive or negative. In addition, if there is no other acceptable option, NCL should do SOMETHING about any non-refundable costs incurred. Some travel insurance policies can be cancelled--you don't get a refund, but you do have a credit with the company for a future policy. In my case I would be out that $800 for two people, and that is just plain UNFAIR--and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It just seems to me (perhaps naively) that we have the right to rely on what we have bought and make those non-refundable reservations. That's what travel insurance is for, if something out of our control affects us using them - illness, bad weather, etc. If it is a business decision the cruiseline makes (any cruiseline, not NCL alone) that it seems only fair that they do something to compensate pax for THEIR financial loss.

Why not? Because consumers need protections against corporations. Think airlines. Airlines have it in the small print that they are allowed to bump you. It is only after people made a huge fuss that now airlines are forced to offer extra compensation. The cruiselines can change their policy of no cancellation after booking, but I doubt very many people would then book the cruise in advance. BTW, the cruiselines also have it in the fine print that they can move you from your reserved cabin if they see fit. I suppose you won't mind when they do that to you? As a consumer, I expect to get the product I agreed for at the agreed price. Just because the cruise contract now states that the cruiselines are allowed to do such things, doesn't make it right.

Why not, the terms and conditions of the contract give you the same right up until final payment. This is an issue that gets a lot of "press" here because it is so upsetting (and understandably so) but it really doesn't happen all that often, nor does it impact that many people.

Why not? Because consumers need protections against corporations. Think airlines. Airlines have it in the small print that they are allowed to bump you. It is only after people made a huge fuss that now airlines are forced to offer extra compensation. The cruiselines can change their policy of no cancellation after booking, but I doubt very many people would then book the cruise in advance. BTW, the cruiselines also have it in the fine print that they can move you from your reserved cabin if they see fit. I suppose you won't mind when they do that to you? As a consumer, I expect to get the product I agreed for at the agreed price. Just because the cruise contract now states that the cruiselines are allowed to do such things, doesn't make it right.

NCL refunds any money paid on the reservation, agrees to pay the airline change fee (if applicable) and offers a credit. I'm not sure what other protection we would need? Yes, I would be upset if my cabin got changed and I'd be upset if my cruise got cancelled but I don't think any corporation owes me anything for my emotional well being- that is 100% in my control.

DH and I do Christmas cruises every year because that is the ONLY week DH has to cruise, and we book those cruises a year in advance. We book our non-refundable airfare the first day the tix go on sale (11 months in advance), because we figure the cheapest flights will sell out fast. We also make our hotel reservation way in advance, and typically it is also non-refundable, because we figure we save $ that way as well. We also buy travel insurance immediately. We don't fly Southwest or the other super budget airlines because the tix go on sale much later than the "legacy" carriers and we like the security of locking in our airfare.

Would something like this be covered by travel insurance typically? In our case, if this were to happen, unless travel insurance covered it, we'd be out about $800 for hotel plus airfare, as well as the cost of the travel insurance.

If we were going to rebook on a different cruiseline, or even NCL, the cost of the cruise would also be substantially higher. We have a spa suite on the Epic for this Christmas which is now sold out, but had gone up $500/pp from when we booked, and I'm sure all the other Christmas cruises have gone way up as well.

I'd be really surprised if something like this would get chartered, but my point is that I think people like ourselves, who only have the option of one week per year to cruise, tend to book that week way in advance in order to lock in all costs, knowing that they won't go down. Granted that we sign a contract that the cruiseline is all-powerful, and our only recourse is a refund of whatever we've paid them but..to me the FAIR thing to do is (if the cruiseline has an equivalent sailing) at a minimum to allow the pax to transfer their booking for the same/similar itinerary and cabin class to any other ship in the fleet for whatever the cost difference would have been at the time the pax made the original booking, positive or negative. In addition, if there is no other acceptable option, NCL should do SOMETHING about any non-refundable costs incurred. Some travel insurance policies can be cancelled--you don't get a refund, but you do have a credit with the company for a future policy. In my case I would be out that $800 for two people, and that is just plain UNFAIR--and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It just seems to me (perhaps naively) that we have the right to rely on what we have bought and make those non-refundable reservations. That's what travel insurance is for, if something out of our control affects us using them - illness, bad weather, etc. If it is a business decision the cruiseline makes (any cruiseline, not NCL alone) that it seems only fair that they do something to compensate pax for THEIR financial loss.

This was my exact point on another thread last week. Yes it is in the contract (in small print where all crap is). I guess I just didn't understand how that could happen, so wasn't overly concerned about it, like you in certain areas I was niave. My eyes have certainly been opened over these past few weeks. And before I get flamed again, yes I am aware that this is across all cruise lines!!

But unfortunately you are not going to find many supporters of this thought or empathy on CC. Most long time cruisers appear to have had this happen and have, too bad, so sad attitudes. Mind you some of these same pax have the opportunity of either cruising many times a year (they either have more holidays than I could dream of or are retired or are not locked into a certain time frame). Or they live in a port city therefore they don't have the expense or planning of airfare or hotel accomodations. Therefore their understanding of booking flights the same time as the cruise to make sure #1 you do have a way to get to port, #2 can get the best rate for airfare #3 have all your ducks in a row to have least stressful holiday possible (no last minute stuff), seems to be limited.

I have one - one week holiday (only time we get physical time) every 2 - 3 years and therefore I am super hyped when I finally get to have a vacation. So if this was to happen to me I would #1 be crushed and #2 be financially unable to support any other vacation until my next 2-3 years if travel insurance wasn't something that covered this (not sure if they do or not, since it is not your typical illness, weather delay etc.)

The only option I see for us now is to wait until the last minute to book, or not cruise.

NCL refunds any money paid on the reservation, agrees to pay the airline change fee (if applicable) and offers a credit. I'm not sure what other protection we would need? Yes, I would be upset if my cabin got changed and I'd be upset if my cruise got cancelled but I don't think any corporation owes me anything for my emotional well being- that is 100% in my control.

I personally would not expect financial compensation for my emotional well being, trust me the cruise line could not give me enough to cover my disappointment. And truthfully financial compensation would not help me to have my vacation in the only time I had to take it. But I guarantee if this was done to me, I would never cruise again (explanation to my vacation needs in the above post)

It's not about emotional well being. It is about your rights as a consumer. You entered a contract, but the contract has a loop-hole. Yes, the loop-hole is rarely used. My point is that the loop-hole should be closed. I do admit that if someone treats me unfairly, I get upset, and I have every right to be upset. I believe it is unfair to null someone's reservation because a better offer comes along.

It's not about emotional well being. It is about your rights as a consumer. You entered a contract, but the contract has a loop-hole. Yes, the loop-hole is rarely used. My point is that the loop-hole should be closed. I do admit that if someone treats me unfairly, I get upset, and I have every right to be upset. I believe it is unfair to null someone's reservation because a better offer comes along.

Well, I guess the cruise lines could only publish itineraries less than 6 months from the sailing date in order to give the marketing folks ample time to find any potential charters.

Yes, the contract has a loop-hole and we all know it. Hard to cry "unfair" under those circumstances. Prudence demands that one take that loop-hole into account when making plans related to the sailing (buying good travel insurance is a good first step).

Archived