Email from NCL...

mommy2tati

So I received an email from NCL saying that my NCL Sky sailing was chartered. This sucks. I specifically picked this sailing because it's a holiday weekend & I really don't have any vacation days to sail on another weekend. :(

So I received an email from NCL saying that my NCL Sky sailing was chartered. This sucks. I specifically picked this sailing because it's a holiday weekend & I really don't have any vacation days to sail on another weekend. :(

Happened to me two years ago from Princess..Already had SIX people flying down to Puerto Rico on non refundable fares to the tune of a little over $3000.....I was SO upset...find another cruise ...it soothes your anger! Trust me!!

When was your cruise for?

Yes, when was your cruise, and did they offer you any compensation or alternative?

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I would be heart broken AND mad!

I hope you find a replacement and you get some kind of compensation!

I'm sure that NCL did this far enough out that compensation doesn't come into play, except maybe as a token goodwill gesture.

Full ship charters are great for the cruise line but stink for passengers who book the ships way in advance. I have taken a custom of booking four to six months out and if it sails from Boston - three months or less. No way a ship would be chartered at that point unless the individual or company spent TONS of money for it (and I'm sure the cruise line would have to compensate the cancelled passengers).

Either way... OP, could you please share the sail date? Thanks!

SKy 10/7/11

Yes it is the 10/7/11 Sky sailing. Here is the email I received:

Dear Valued Guest:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Sky's 3-Day Bahamas from Miami sailing

on October 7, 2011.

Norwegian Sky's 3-Day Bahamas from Miami sailing on October 7, 2011 has been chartered. As a result, we are

regrettably forced to cancel the above mentioned sailing. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for any

inconvenience caused by these cancellations and would like to thank our guests for their patience and understanding.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering you the following options:

Option 1:

Transfer your reservation to any of Norwegian Sky's 3-Day Bahamas from Miami sailings from September 2, 2011 to

December 16, 2011 and the cruise fare will be protected. Reservations that are transferred to any of these Norwegian

Sky sailings will receive a $25 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship. Guests

currently booked in suites will receive a $50 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship.

Option 2:

Transfer your reservation to any sailing in the Norwegian Cruise Line fleet from now until December 31, 2011 and the

cruise fare will be re-priced to the current published fare. Reservations that are transferred will receive a $25 per

stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship. Guests currently booked in suites will receive a

$50 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship.

If we do not receive a response by Wednesday, May 11, 2011 your reservation on Norwegian Sky will be automatically

cancelled and your deposit will be refunded. We have set-up a dedicated support line that opens on Thursday, April 28,

2011. Please let us know your preference by calling us at (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through

Friday.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to assisting you with your reservation.

Yes it is the 10/7/11 Sky sailing. Here is the email I received:

Dear Valued Guest:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Sky's 3-Day Bahamas from Miami sailing

on October 7, 2011.

Norwegian Sky's 3-Day Bahamas from Miami sailing on October 7, 2011 has been chartered. As a result, we are

regrettably forced to cancel the above mentioned sailing. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for any

inconvenience caused by these cancellations and would like to thank our guests for their patience and understanding.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering you the following options:

Option 1:

Transfer your reservation to any of Norwegian Sky's 3-Day Bahamas from Miami sailings from September 2, 2011 to

December 16, 2011 and the cruise fare will be protected. Reservations that are transferred to any of these Norwegian

Sky sailings will receive a $25 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship. Guests

currently booked in suites will receive a $50 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship.

Option 2:

Transfer your reservation to any sailing in the Norwegian Cruise Line fleet from now until December 31, 2011 and the

cruise fare will be re-priced to the current published fare. Reservations that are transferred will receive a $25 per

stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship. Guests currently booked in suites will receive a

$50 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship.

If we do not receive a response by Wednesday, May 11, 2011 your reservation on Norwegian Sky will be automatically

cancelled and your deposit will be refunded. We have set-up a dedicated support line that opens on Thursday, April 28,

2011. Please let us know your preference by calling us at (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through

Friday.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to assisting you with your reservation.

Well, I think NCL could have done better with the OBC!!! don't you think??

Thanks for posting and sharing this.

I am on the Sky Oct 21 cruise. I almost booked the Oct 7 cruise though. (Columbus Day weekend)

I do think that $25 OBC per cabin is not much of a concession for people planning, organizing, and putting plans into motion for this cruise. It will pay for 1 day of gratuity cleaning for the cabin.

Since the customers were early bookings, I think they could have given them at least $100 OBC and 20% off any future NCL booking.

I know that some will say that I am too low but it would be the bare minimum.

C'mon NCL

These passengers did nothing wrong and booked early. You changed their plans, not vice versa. You can do better!!!

Happened to me two years ago from Princess..Already had SIX people flying down to Puerto Rico on non refundable fares to the tune of a little over $3000.....I was SO upset...find another cruise ...it soothes your anger! Trust me!!

How did Princess compensate you and your friends? Did they cover the cost of your airline tickets?

I posted on Wed but my thread is gone.

I was devestated because it was our first trip alone without the kids. It was so much fun planning etc.

My husband called the Ncl and they will compensate some for the flights. We have notified the co's we planned on using for excursions and hope to rearrange the same.

I'm still angry but we will book another week.

It's a business and I understand that but the cancellation left a poor taste in my mouth.

I rebooked for Veterans day weekend. When I spoke to NCL they said they would cover up to $150 per person for any airline change fees. I don't think that's enough. I also agree with the other poster that $25 OBC is waaaaaay too low for the inconvenience.

How did Princess compensate you and your friends? Did they cover the cost of your airline tickets?

Hi Debbie! We were on the Pearl together!!!

No they offered us 25% off of a future cruise with them. My travel agent tried to push them but they would not budge (no other princess cruise was leaving out of San Juan so they would have had to compensate me for almost $3000 worth of airfare (I have a family of 6). Since I had never sailed Princess, I do see their point of view-it's not like they owed me anything.

We did go on a Celebrity Cruise, which was great...I am a bit surprised by NCL offering only 25 dollars...what about people who had booked flights?

Hi Debbie! We were on the Pearl together!!!

No they offered us 25% off of a future cruise with them. My travel agent tried to push them but they would not budge (no other princess cruise was leaving out of San Juan so they would have had to compensate me for almost $3000 worth of airfare (I have a family of 6). Since I had never sailed Princess, I do see their point of view-it's not like they owed me anything.

We did go on a Celebrity Cruise, which was great...I am a bit surprised by NCL offering only 25 dollars...what about people who had booked flights?

I asked NCL about this and they said they cover up to $150 per person for flights. I'm assuming it's for the change fee. I know that with American Airlines if you cancel your flight you can get a credit minus the $150 change fee so the $150 that NCL gives makes sense. I'm not sure all airlines operate this way though.

Well, I think NCL could have done better with the OBC!!! don't you think??

I think it's fine. It's not for 6 months. I know it's disappointing--I'd be bummed, myself. However, it does happen and they did give people 6 months notice and OBC. Not sure how reasonable it is to expect a whole lot more...

I've never been in this situation, so could you please explain what it means when they are going to now "charter" your cruise? I'm confused. :confused:

Some companies will make arrangements to charter the entire ship for an itinerary for various reasons- usually because they want to do a specialty cruise for a particular demographic. Of course, when they do the cruise line has to cancel everyone's reservation because the company doing the charter handles the reservations for the group.

Some companies will make arrangements to charter the entire ship for an itinerary for various reasons- usually because they want to do a specialty cruise for a particular demographic. Of course, when they do the cruise line has to cancel everyone's reservation because the company doing the charter handles the reservations for the group.

So then what happens to your cruise? You have to rebook it for another time? That sounds like a hassle because people schedule time off from work, schedule air flight and put a lot of time into cruising...I can't imagine. I'd be heartbroken and pissed. :(

I guess it's really only something that happens on short cruises? Do groups charter a 7 day cruise or longer as well?

Groups do routinely charter ships for week-long cruises, not just short cruises.

So then what happens to your cruise? You have to rebook it for another time? That sounds like a hassle because people schedule time off from work, schedule air flight and put a lot of time into cruising...I can't imagine. I'd be heartbroken and pissed. :(

Unfortunately, this is part of the risk that goes along with booking a cruise. Basically, if your ship gets completely chartered, all previously booked passengers get bumped. Typically, the cruise line will attempt to rebook these passengers on a similar ship/itinerary but that isn't always doable and the alternatives are not always satisfactory to the passenger. Perhaps cruisers need something equivalent to the recently revised/expanded passengers bill of rights for air passengers, whereby bumped passengers receive not just the cost of the plane ticket but extra compensation up to $1300.

I think it's fine. It's not for 6 months. I know it's disappointing--I'd be bummed, myself. However, it does happen and they did give people 6 months notice and OBC. Not sure how reasonable it is to expect a whole lot more...

If you wait a few days to book your airfare, it wiill go up, but NCL thinks you'll drive to the port!

It would be disappointing to have your cruise cancelled. I have waited to book my airfare (using points) for exactly this reason. I never buy travel insurance because I already have excellent travel medical insurance. We are comfortable "self insuring" the travel expenses so I am not familiar with the rules.

My understanding of the insurance that is available is that it covers you if you have to cancel for an allowed reason. Does anyone know if the cruiseline canceling is a covered reason for airline change fees?

Thanks

Archived