Yay - Holland America Lost and Found

stiej

My husband accidentally left 2 ties on board our Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam a few weeks ago. Our daughter got sick the last day of the cruise and packing around a 7 yr old with a fever is enough to make you crazy and he left the two ties in the closet. The ties werent the big deal, but the tie tack he had left on one was given to him by his late mother who passed away when he was 18. He was very very upset as he cherishes everything she gave him. We contacted HAL lost and found and got a call today that they found the ties AND tie tack and will be sending it back today!! It absolutely made his day! Just wanted to give you hope if you ever leave something - sometimes it is found!! (They send everything left on the ships to Seattle, the call came from Seattle. FYI)

YAY!

I also have had a very positive experience with their Lost and Found Department. I lost a luggage lock on the Maasdam and even though it was not found, I was most impressed with their efforts to keep me informed of the attempt to locate it.

I am so glad for you. We had a similar experience - it wasn't the value, but the sentimental value that counted for us as well.

The call from HAL was not just nice but apologetic that it took so long.

For me, it just re-affirmed why I sail HAL.

We were recently on the Westerdam and I left my hat on the hook where the robes are hung. As soon as I got home I wrote to HAL and when they finally got back to me they said the hat wasn't found. Oh well...I'm so glad your items were recovered.

Very happy your DH will get his ties and treasured tie tack returned. Thanks for sharing with us the effort HAL has made on his behalf. It's nice to hear positive comments. :)

My DH lost his passport on our cruise on the Oosterdam last November. We got a call from HAL while we were driving home that they had it. We live about an hour away from the pier and it was pouring down rain, so rather than have us drive back, they mailed it back to us by overnight mail. I thought they really went above and beyond. :)

• 2 months later...

We cruised on the Ryndam in late May / early June 2011 and left our iPad in our room. It was certainly our fault, but we were disappointed in the response from Holland America. We knew exactly where we left it, in which room and who our stewards were. We contacted our travel agent immediately (less than 24 hours after disembarking), who contacted HAL. It took them 6 weeks to tell us they couldn't find it. I know there is a lot of confusion and many steps along the road to returning a lost item, but with all of the details we provided, this really frustrates me.

• 2 months later...

I wish we had such a positive experience with HALs Lost and Found department. Only one of our two bags showed up in Barcelona when we disembarked on 10/9/11. Because the ship was late getting to the port we only had about 40 minutes to search for it and then had to leave to catch flight back to US. We filled out a lost luggage form with HAL at the terminal and have never heard back from anyone at HAL. The Lost Luggage Department is a joke; it's an outsource company that's supposed to handle luggage problems, but you can't speak to anyone live there; they say they will contact you at THEIR convenience. Likewise HAL's luggage services department only sends boilerplate text about needing to research the issue and promises to contact you "sometime." We're nearing 72 hours since the bag went missing and have no ability to speak with ANYONE about it. It leaves us with bad feelings towards HAL and is helping us leave their loyalty program.

I wish we had such a positive experience with HALs Lost and Found department. Only one of our two bags showed up in Barcelona when we disembarked on 10/9/11. Because the ship was late getting to the port we only had about 40 minutes to search for it and then had to leave to catch flight back to US. We filled out a lost luggage form with HAL at the terminal and have never heard back from anyone at HAL. The Lost Luggage Department is a joke; it's an outsource company that's supposed to handle luggage problems, but you can't speak to anyone live there; they say they will contact you at THEIR convenience. Likewise HAL's luggage services department only sends boilerplate text about needing to research the issue and promises to contact you "sometime." We're nearing 72 hours since the bag went missing and have no ability to speak with ANYONE about it. It leaves us with bad feelings towards HAL and is helping us leave their loyalty program.

I hope that someone will contact you very soon, and your missing luggage returned promptly.

Two responses: our travel mate left his video camera on the ship in Rio, Holland found it and delivered it to our hotel... great service.

On your luggage maybe don't blame HAL, Barcelona is very probably the culprit...we flew out of there after a cruise a few years ago and didn't get our luggage for almost 10 days... how easy it was to go through customs in Los Angeles without luggage...

Don't get mad and don't give up...

Don't give up -- 72 hours isn't that long (although I know it is long to you). I've had a case where American Airlines has found a bag 5 days after it got lost on a domestic flight.

Not during a HAL trip... but I'm beginning to wonder what happened to the other dress shoe... maybe I left it on the last ship? (or maybe I'm just losing my mind!) Luckily, these were a quick purchase at Walmart, so I'm not out a big amount of money... I just don't like the signs of losing my mind.

Just wanted to give you a chance to laugh at my crazy life.

We were on the Westerdam a couple of years ago, and when we got home we discovered we lost our camera.. We figured out that we left it on the table in the MDR on the last night. I called and it was not found. Went out and bought another- but of course the worst part was that we lost all the pictures of our trip.

2 weeks later the camera arrived at our house- they found it and mailed it. Yeah!

This year in France, my husband lost his camera in transport from the ship to the hotel- not so lucky this time. No pictures and no camera.

Why can't we hold on to our camera's??????????

Archived