Does HAL Hold You Captive in SPG?

shoppern

We are doing the 12-day Baltic cruise this summer, and want to book with a private tour group for St. Petersburg. We've heard horror stories about passengers being refused debarkation in time to reach their tours, while HAL tours go off first. Any first-hand info out there? This is a new corner of the world for us, and will likely be our only time there, so we are seeking all the info we can get. Thank you for your time.:confused:

When I toured with Red October I was told to be ready when the ship was cleared, then move fast. I did just that, and it went smoothly.

Remember, the HAL tours are meeting in (probably) the show lounge. They have to get up and down to the gangway before they exit the ship. If you're already there and waiting, you're ahead of them.

I've heard the same horror stories you posted about, but don't remember ever reading a first-hand account that it actually happened.

Things may have changed since we were there in 2006, but at that time, if you weren't doing a HAL shore excursion, you needed to obtain a visa to get off the ship. Russia has very strict rules! I'm not sure if that has anything to do with getting off the ship before HAL excursions or not. Others may have more current information.

Things may have changed since we were there in 2006, but at that time, if you weren't doing a HAL shore excursion, you needed to obtain a visa to get off the ship.

While it's true that you need a visa to leave the ship while in Russia, this does not mean you need to obtain an individual visa.

There are three ways to obtain a visa to leave the ship:

1.) You can purchase your own, individual visa.

2.) You can go on a HAL tour, and use their group visa.

3.) You can go with an approved tour agency (such as Red October, Alla, Denrus, etc.) and use their group visa.

From the passenger's perspective, there is no difference between the HAL group visa, and the agency group visa.

Thanks, Ruth. I was hoping that one of my answerers would be you, as I find your comments to be particularly clear and informative!:D

You're welcome!

Guess all those years of writing memos have come in handy.

On not only Holland America, but on all other cruise I have taken over the decades, where you have to tender in, passengers not on ship tours will have to wait till the ships tour passengers all get off.

The med, Hawaii, So pacific... dosent matter. Here in Hawaii, not Russia, it can take over an hour or more after the first tenders leave.

When we visited St Petersburg with HAL, we were docked and had a tour booked with Red October. Red October took care of our visas. We booked with two other couples and we all met up on the lower promenade deck that morning, ready to go. As soon as the announcement was made that the ship had been cleared, we immediately went to the deck where the gangway was and left the ship. We were amongst the first ones off. It was not a problem.

Have a great cruise! :)

On not only Holland America, but on all other cruise I have taken over the decades, where you have to tender in, passengers not on ship tours will have to wait till the ships tour passengers all get off.

The med, Hawaii, So pacific... dosent matter. Here in Hawaii, not Russia, it can take over an hour or more after the first tenders leave.

I don't think anyone tenders in St Petersburg. We didn't on our Baltic cruise several years ago.

The only thing that could be an issue is that going through the customs/immigration line can sometimes be slow. We were warned on board to allow plenty of time to get to tours that met on the dock. We had no problems, so maybe that warning was the ship's way of motivating people to be on time. We took all ship's tours, so we didn't have to worry about finding our tour operator.

It's a fascinating city!

We docked in St. Petersburg too. I would think your private tour guide should have the knowledge to know how much time it will take for you to go through and to arrange your visa.

I don't think you have an issue as long as you are using a reputable one.

Unfortunately when we went, the rules were a bit different when we did our research so we did use a HAL tour (and it was actually very good in all honesty), so I can't help further in the private tour aspect for this port.

St. Petersburg is just so fantastic. Enjoy :):)

We have a tour with a private company (Alla Tours) scheduled this summer and here is part of the disembarkation instructions.

Going ashore

It will take only 15-20 minutes for the Russian Immigration authorities to clear the ship and the exit will be open for all passengers. In order to avoid lining up at the passport control booths we would strongly recommend you to head off the ship as soon as it is docked. The earlier you will make your way off the ship, the faster your tour will start.

Russian Immigration authorities: it is important to know that:

Russian Immigration authorities never dictate any sequence of disembarkation of cruise ship passengers.

Russian Immigration authorities will be asking for the documents listed above. No other documents are required

Russian Immigration authorities make no difference between the passengers with tour tickets issued by the cruise line or the tour tickets of any other Russian tour operator

Cruise ship staff has no right to demand from passengers to present any documents confirming your tour arrangements. It is the prerogative of Russian Immigration authorities to check your documents and decide if you are allowed to attend visa-free tours in Russia.

Archived