Teens cruising - which lines are best?

SWJodi

Our son is graduating HS in June next year and we'd like to suprise him with a cruise. Just having a hard time deciding if I should keep our sailing on the Splendor (we live on the west coast) or venture to the east coast for a different experience?

We are planning a cruise to celebrate my one and only grandchild's HS graduation. He's been on 9 cruises, and will be on his 10th cruise in July on FOS. He's never mentioned a preference as to where we are going and always goes along without a complaint or voicing a preference. We were recently discussing cruises we would like to go on in the future. One of my daughters mentioned Greece and my Grandson said " I would really love to see Greece one day..."...so.... We plan to book a cruise that includes Greece for summer of 2012. We are trying to decide on an itinerary now and for the first time, we're asking him what he prefers. I think planning is so much a fun part of cruising. He's now very excited about the planning, which he's never bothered to utter a word about in the past. He has now mentioned that he would love to see Turkey!! Who knew he even cared where we were cruising!!! He loves the activities on the Voyager ships and since there will probably be a few sea days, we're trying to sort through all the ships and all the choices. Wherever you go, I'm sure it will be trip none of you will ever forget or regret. Enjoy..

In terms of sheer sporty activities, I'm not sure much compares to a RCI Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class ship. However, sticking with the mass-market lines (Carnival, Princess, NCL), it is hard to believe that he would get bored.

To the OP, since you're on the west coast, will you consider flying to Seattle for an Alaska cruise? In June there are relative less ships sailing out of Florida than the winter time, but having said that there will still be more options comparing to those sailing out of California at that time of the year.

Alaska sounds tempting but he wanted something short and I've only found one that are 7 days.. My biggest concern is spending $$ and listening to the "I'm bored and trapped"...which i hear now

I, too, think a mega ship with lots of activities would suit everyone in the family. RCI would probably be the best, but Carnival, Norwegian and Princess grand ships would serve you well, too. If you choose to come east, the western Caribbean has lots for teens - water sports, snorkeling, swimming with stingrays, zip lining and lots of other excursions to keep young people happy.

Griffy116: We thought of the Mediterranean next summer, but Greece will be brutally hot that time of year. So we are doing the Baltics next summer to Scandinavia and Russia with an overnight in St. Petersburg. Just as port intensive with plenty of history and activity to keep us all alert and interested.:)

I, too, think a mega ship with lots of activities would suit everyone in the family. RCI would probably be the best, but Carnival, Norwegian and Princess grand ships would serve you well, too. If you choose to come east, the western Caribbean has lots for teens - water sports, snorkeling, swimming with stingrays, zip lining and lots of other excursions to keep young people happy.

Griffy116: We thought of the Mediterranean next summer, but Greece will be brutally hot that time of year. So we are doing the Baltics next summer to Scandinavia and Russia with an overnight in St. Petersburg. Just as port intensive with plenty of history and activity to keep us all alert and interested.:)

After seeing your avatar, I just wanted to show Moo Cowlatta enjoying the beach in Kauai on a Princess cruise.

My daughter was on her first teen-aged cruise (her seventh altogether) in December. She would go to the teen center to find her friends and often they will go to the pool area together (she saw a lot more of the Movies Under the Stars than we did).

Alaska sounds tempting but he wanted something short and I've only found one that are 7 days.. My biggest concern is spending $$ and listening to the "I'm bored and trapped"...which i hear now

I'm sure many of the Alaskan cruises are 7-days ... not sure if you mean you want less than 7 days. If that is the case, check out Disney Dream that is doing 4-5 nights Bahamian cruise, with those 5-nighters stopping twice at Castaway Cay, DCL's private island. But if you want June 2012, just make sure you're ready before seeing their price. :eek:

Having sailed primarily Rc and Princess I would say for kids there is no comparisson to Royal Caribbean.........they have it down. In fact I am surprised how few kids there are on Princess......but we dont' cruise in the summer either.

After seeing your avatar' date=' I just wanted to show Moo Cowlatta enjoying the beach in Kauai on a Princess cruise.

My daughter was on her first teen-aged cruise (her seventh altogether) in December. She would go to the teen center to find her friends and often they will go to the pool area together (she saw a lot more of the Movies Under the Stars than we did).[/quote']

Ahhh, I forgot to mention MUTS, one of my kids' favorites on Princess.

Nice to see Moo Cowlotta and all our other special critters having as much fun as we do!

I'd have to say Royal Caribbean (one of the larger ships) there is so much to do. I travel with family (two teens) and I don't think I have ever heard them say they are bored.

A mom I through through soccer...was talking about cruises today....she and her family have cruised on RCI mainly. They went on the Oasis during spring break...LOVED IT. Her oldest is 17 and she has other younger teens and tweens. Her kids LOVED that ship. They are booked on the Allure for June 2012. I am going to check that one out too. :)

How old is he? Big difference between 17 and younger, or 18/19. My kids have enjoyed the teen clubs on Carnival, but they can vary widely, depending on the make-up of the kids on the ship that week. But my girls have always found good kids to hang out with.

We just took my daughter's first cruise of old-enough-for-the-dance-club. She loved it! She made terrific friends, and we're planning on shipping her off to visit them this summer.

We've never had problems of boredom on a cruise, no matter the age.

Royal Caribbean!!! I sell 4-5 cabins each month my Royal clients never stray! The new ships Oasis and Allur are amazing although only 50% of the restaurants are covered! The others you might look at is the Freedom Class still super fun ships and a lot less money. They have come out with amazing new programs onboard for teens. Good luck!

I've checked into that line but it way beyond our price point - Carnival is more affordable and give us more options for the future. If we sailed on the Oasis/Allure we wouldn't be able to travel as often

Archived