advice needed

ladyruby

hi were flying into miami from heathrow so long flight we land around tea time day before we join the cruise we have booked a pre night stay at the hilton fort lauderdale beach , first question how long is this hotel from miami airport ? also from this hotel to the cruise terminal?

next dilema i assume we'l be of the ship around 10am and we flight home at 2030hr from miami so third question we were thinking of booking a hotel room for the night even though we wont use itjust to to put our cases in and then look around either fort lauderdale or miami then back showered and transfer to airport , is this possible?

also were do you think we would be better staying the day miami or fort lauderdale? any recommendations?

all help appreciated

sorry for essay !

Regarding what to do on the day you get off the ship, a good alternative might be to book one of the longer day excursions in Miami/Fort Lauderdale that are offered by Princess. Princess will then take your luggage and the drop you off at the airport with your luggage later in the day. You'll still have alot of extra time at the airport, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about luggage.

Ft Lauderdale is at least an hour if not more from the Miami airport depending on traffic. Traffic can be notoriously busy depending on day and time. I don't know how far the hotel is from the airport. I think booking a room and having a home base on your return would probably be a nice way to do it.

I would eliminate the hassle of getting to/from FLL and stay in Miami , possibly South Beach or near MIA, unless there is a reason that you must stay at FLL? You may also book a post cruise shore tour onboard for those with late flights.

I really would suggest getting a hotel by the miami airport that offers a shuttle to the pier or is close by pier. I am from Ft. Lauderdale and I can tell you, that it will be a hassle plus there are so many choices for great hotels in Miami Beach area. Check out Florida departures for some suggestions. Have fun!

A great idea I read on another thread somewhere on Cruise Critic is to rent a car the day you return lets you tour around takes care of transfer to miami and gives you a place to store luggage.

I would definately agree with this. Traveling the A1A by car going through Miami, Ft Lauderdale, and West Palm (not to be missed) is fantastic. Stop along the way and see the sights.

hi everyone thanks for reply , its the emerald were sailng on which i think leaves from fort lauderdale if im correct? which is why we though book pre night stay there? excellent idea about excursion though

We recently did a cruise from Fort lauderdale flying with Virgin arriving 2 days before and flying on the return at about the same time as you. We stayed at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach which is nearer to the port than the Hilton. It cost us about 100 dollars taxi from Miami and then about 12-15 to the port. We enjoyed our stay at Fort Lauderdale and bought cans of diet american ginger ale and whisky to put in our suitcases to take on board.

On the return we did the Princess Everglades and Flamingo Park (flora and fauna) trip which took all your luggage and dropped you off at the airport about 2. This was still very early and made a long wait. On our return flight due to fuel problems at Miami we had to go to Orlando to pick up fuel which made the flight even longer. On reflection we would now book another night at a hotel, most probably at the airport, so when we were dropped off we could leave our luggage at the hotel and then go elsewhere. Then after checking out, leave our luggage at the hotel the next day and relax in Miami before going to the airport later for the flight home.

Hope this helps

If you are only arriving the day before you will not have much time that evening (and very tired) and you will be going to the port about 11-12 the next day. You dont really need the beach hotels and should maybe stay at one on SE 17th street which have shuttles to the port. Maybe Hilton Marina or Renaissance or Hyatt Regency.

Remember if your flight is cancelled you maybe won't make the ship the next day which is why we went 2 days before.

You're getting a lot of good advice here, and I do not want to contradict anyone. I will only say that we "stumbled upon" the Hilton Beach Resort in Ft. Lauderdale 2 or 3 years ago and now we will not stay anywhere else. It is FANTASTIC, and the service cannot be beat. We also happen to like having the beach across the street for a nice stroll, as well as the restaurants all along the beach boulevard. It is only about a 15 minute ride from the hotel to the port, which costs approximately $15 USD (plus tip.)

There may well be benefits to the advice others have given (re: staying closer to Miami), but I thought I should weigh in on the Hilton. We were just there again a few days ago after disembarking from the Coral Princess and, once again, had a beautiful room on the 11th floor with amazing views of the ocean, and spectacular service.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time and a wonderful cruise.

We have just returned, outward we had 3 nights In Marriott South Beach and were picked up by Princess to go to ship approx 10.45am. It's a fair journey, maybe 1 hour.

Our return to LHR was 5.30pm. We were off ship at 9am then coach took us and later flight pax to Miami Intercontinental for lunch then to a shopping mall for a couple of hours, collected us then took us to airport. Later flights also got tea. Luggage stays in the bus,you get it when you get to airport. It was very well organised but it was all booked through TA, not sure if you're doing your own transfers or can you have them arranged. It would be lovely to have access to a bathroom but expensive for just a few hours. Either way enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

some great advice thank you , yes we did book through a ta but transfers were not an option so we had to book our own pre night stay at a hotel and the ta recommended this one , my main concern with that is i no the day we disembark it will be approx 9am ? and our flight only leaves at 20.30hrs from miami so tempted to book a cheaper hotel and have a base for the day until we leave for the airport . o decisions ! appreciate all your help or ideas thanks ;)

We have just returned, outward we had 3 nights In Marriott South Beach and were picked up by Princess to go to ship approx 10.45am. It's a fair journey, maybe 1 hour.

Our return to LHR was 5.30pm. We were off ship at 9am then coach took us and later flight pax to Miami Intercontinental for lunch then to a shopping mall for a couple of hours, collected us then took us to airport. Later flights also got tea. Luggage stays in the bus,you get it when you get to airport. It was very well organised but it was all booked through TA, not sure if you're doing your own transfers or can you have them arranged. It would be lovely to have access to a bathroom but expensive for just a few hours. Either way enjoy your cruise.

Excuse me for getting off topic but I am staying at the Marriott South Beach in October, how did you like it? I'd love to hear about the hotel, the beach and the walk to the action. Anything you'd like to share...

I think it sounds like a good idea to keep it simple and stay in miami, with your port and airport being miami. That's a tough flight so having a hotel room after the cruise to rest and shower before the flight sounds like a great idea to me. Too bad you aren't having a full day to look around miami - you won't have a lot of time to do this on the day you arrive.

Archived